Transfer or Not to Transfer?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Transfer or Not To Transfer?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:33 am

Loyola Chicago - Stay
6
40%
Wisconsin - Transfer
9
60%
 
Total votes: 15

lil10isman
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:43 pm

Transfer or Not to Transfer?

Postby lil10isman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:33 am

After my first semester at Loyola Chicago I received a 3.0 and I'm 136/203 in the class.

Wisconsin offered me a deferred acceptance into next fall if I received a 3.0 and above.

I want to end up working in Chicago.

Should I transfer to Wisconsin even though I could still potentially write on to a law journal or make a moot court team at Loyola versus not being able to do either at Wisconsin?

Thanks.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Transfer or Not to Transfer?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:35 am

lil10isman wrote:After my first semester at Loyola Chicago I received a 3.0 and I'm 136/203 in the class.

Wisconsin offered me a deferred acceptance into next fall if I received a 3.0 and above.

I want to end up working in Chicago.

Should I transfer to Wisconsin even though I could still potentially write on to a law journal or make a moot court team at Loyola versus not being able to do either at Wisconsin?

Thanks.


Scholarship at loyola?

lil10isman
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Transfer or Not to Transfer?

Postby lil10isman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:38 am

Yeah I have a $12,000 scholarship at Loyola, but the cost of living in Madison isn't exactly what it is in Chicago.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Transfer or Not to Transfer?

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:45 am

lil10isman wrote:Yeah I have a $12,000 scholarship at Loyola, but the cost of living in Madison isn't exactly what it is in Chicago.


In-state at Wisconsin? If no, it's a toss-up; if yes, I'd say go to Wisconsin.

Statistically, your chances of getting a biglaw or mythical midlaw job in Chicago are probably even. If you're not dead-set on Chicago, I believe Wisconsin graduates don't have to sit for the bar to practice in Wisconsin. (You might want to double-check that though.)

HTH and good luck!

lil10isman
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Transfer or Not to Transfer?

Postby lil10isman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:48 am

I'd be out of state at Wisconsin, though I did go there for my undergrad. Going back would seem quite a bit ironic. Regardless, I'm not even worried about a BigLaw job at this point. I just want a job in Chicago and I feel like where my rank might be, it will be hard for me to get an interview anywhere in the Chicago market.

I'd be able to start over at Wisconsin without having to list my ranking from Loyola on my resume. That'd really be the whole point.

Thanks a lot for answering!

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Transfer or Not to Transfer?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:36 am

lil10isman wrote:I'd be out of state at Wisconsin, though I did go there for my undergrad. Going back would seem quite a bit ironic. Regardless, I'm not even worried about a BigLaw job at this point. I just want a job in Chicago and I feel like where my rank might be, it will be hard for me to get an interview anywhere in the Chicago market.

I'd be able to start over at Wisconsin without having to list my ranking from Loyola on my resume. That'd really be the whole point.

Thanks a lot for answering!


1) You will have to list your ranking from Loyola on your resume. Most of the hiring for 2L summer (and thus post-graduate offers) is done at the beginning of your 2nd year. You won't have grades from Wisconsin at that point. Additionally, you have to list Loyola on your resume until after you graduate because firms that you apply to will ask for your grades (at least ones that care about grades).

2) Yes you will get to start over in Wisconsin, but is there a reason why you feel that you would do better at Wisconsin? It is ranked higher and will have better quality students (meaning more competition). Absent a big reason why you did poorly at Loyola, your grades may actually go down quite a bit.

3) I knew I replied to this same post before, so I did a search about it. I think my following comment about networking is something you should seriously think about if you want to remain in Chicago after graduation (because it is going to be really tough to break into Chicago with bad grades and being in another state):
XxSpyKEx wrote: ... the Chicago market is going to be a lot harder to break while going to school in Wisconsin. Transfer or no transfer OP is going to strike out at OCI with median grades from a t2. But at least by being in the city that OP wants to work in he can network and try to get his foot in the door into a smaller firm/public interest organization, etc.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Transfer or Not to Transfer?

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:43 pm

If you want to be in Chicago, I'd go ahead and stay at Loyola, at this point. Wisconsin only carries well to Chicago for people who have done well.

Also, I'm not positive, but I'm not sure whether a transfer student in to Wisconsin is elligible for the Diploma Privilege. A big part of the "Wisconsin-focused law" is done 1L year at Wisconsin (see: Crim Law, which is 100% Wisconsin law; Contracts, which emphasizes Wisconsin Law; some of the torts classes (though certainly not all of them); the majority of the Property classes. You would do well to check on that.

(Also, God only knows whether the diploma privilege is even going to survive the dormant commerce clause/equal protection clause challenge that it is facing atm. The 7th circuit is misinformed about the Wisconsin-centric nature of Wisconsin and Marquette, and may very well strike it down, based on grumblings I have heard in these parts.)




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.