Honors Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Journeybound

Bronze

Honors

Post by Journeybound » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:50 pm

Can transfer students still distinguish themselves from the class by earning honors such as magna cum laude?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Honors

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:00 pm

This is a good question, and something I'd like to know the answer to as well.

RonSantoRules

New

Post by RonSantoRules » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:16 pm

Varies by school. Need to check each one individually as all have differing policies.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:24 am

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:40 am

Journeybound wrote:Can transfer students still distinguish themselves from the class by earning honors such as magna cum laude?
To be safe, I will say that it probably depends on the school. From everything I have seen, though, it looks like transfer students not only have the option of earning latin honors, but they often have an easier time of attaining them given that transfers' GPAs are calculated entirely on the basis of their post-transfer grades (i.e., their 2L and 3L grades, when electives/seminars with easier curves may be taken). Taking account of the higher curves available in many upper division courses, I'd say you can be a medianish T14 transfer and still get latin honors, whereas a T14 non-transfer student with an equivalent performance in each class would be weighed down by 1L grades (where the curves are mandatory and the medians are lower).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LuvTheWNBA

New

Post by LuvTheWNBA » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:12 pm

Son of Cicero wrote:
Journeybound wrote:Can transfer students still distinguish themselves from the class by earning honors such as magna cum laude?
To be safe, I will say that it probably depends on the school. From everything I have seen, though, it looks like transfer students not only have the option of earning latin honors, but they often have an easier time of attaining them given that transfers' GPAs are calculated entirely on the basis of their post-transfer grades (i.e., their 2L and 3L grades, when electives/seminars with easier curves may be taken). Taking account of the higher curves available in many upper division courses, I'd say you can be a medianish T14 transfer and still get latin honors, whereas a T14 non-transfer student with an equivalent performance in each class would be weighed down by 1L grades (where the curves are mandatory and the medians are lower).
Ehhhhh.... Doesn't really make sense.. If the person was able to transfer in, their grades were presumably top 5-10% at their old school. So even if these grades were factored into their GPA, they would still be in very good shape for latin honors. I don't really think transfers have any unfair advantage..

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:42 pm

LuvTheWNBA wrote:
Son of Cicero wrote:
Ehhhhh.... Doesn't really make sense.. If the person was able to transfer in, their grades were presumably top 5-10% at their old school. So even if these grades were factored into their GPA, they would still be in very good shape for latin honors. I don't really think transfers have any unfair advantage..
Its unfair if the school had a harsh curve mandated for 1l's but not as harsh on 2l and 3l students. Thus the transfer student competes soley based on the hihger curve against students that have the lower curve as 1l weighing down their gpa.

Some school have answered this by having transfer students get a limited amount of spots in latin honors and essentially compete against themselves. But that is potentially unfair to transfers as well.

there is some good discussoin of issues like this one and transfer stigma on this above the law post I read the other day.
--LinkRemoved--

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:26 pm

It varies from school to school. Stanford has done away with latin honors altogether - so no issue here!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”