Do People Trasfer Out of T14s? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dextermorgan

Silver

Re: Do People Trasfer Out of T14s?

Post by dextermorgan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:26 am

Georgiana wrote:From Penn:
YLS - 2
HLS - 3
SLS - 1
CLS - 1
Gtown - 1

I may not know of a few... but prob no more than 2 or 3 others.
Penn to Gtown? Wonder what the deciding factor was there.

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:28 am

I forgot - UVA had one transfer to W&M. Personal reasons - though given the proximity I can't quite guess.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:28 am

YLS - 2
HLS - 3
SLS - 1
CLS - 1
Gtown - 1

??? Did that person just really wanted to live in DC?

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:29 am

dextermorgan wrote:
YLS - 2
HLS - 3
SLS - 1
CLS - 1
Gtown - 1

Penn to Gtown? Wonder what the deciding factor was there.
Convincing personal factors.

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:44 am

MarkTwain wrote:We have one transfer from CLS here at SLS, and he told me it was 6 this year (he named the schools they went to, etc.). He also said that it was a strange year, because lots of people flipped out about the economy and wanted to try to move up if possible (this seems true from my own experience). The LSAC stats are for last year's transfer class.
Ah, got ya. I figured the jump was related to the economy. 0 to 6 still feels like a big jump, but I guess the past year or so has been strange in general, given the brutal market and all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:47 am

That's not to say that transferring from such a nice position is necessary or wise, but simply that economic crises mess with decision-making.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:40 am

I've heard whispers about kids wanting to transfer up to HYS after grades went out. I think this year will be very transfer heavy (more kids attempting it and schools taking more then usual)

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:25 pm

underachiever wrote:I've heard whispers about kids wanting to transfer up to HYS after grades went out. I think this year will be very transfer heavy (more kids attempting it and schools taking more then usual)
Possibly. Although I don't anticipate transfering, I am going to apply to a handful of schools. If I am admitted, then I'll have some decisions to make.
Last edited by chadwick218 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
tome wrote:Do people transfer out of T14s? From talking to 2Ls, it sounds like the very top students from last year at NU all stayed. And I have not heard of any other students transferring out.

I also know a few 1Ls who got 3.85+ GPAs first semester here and none of them have talked like they had even considered transferring. Just curious if it happens.
Is there a reason to transfer? Other than academia, is there any job that isn't available to the top of NU, that is available to a Harvard grad?

I'm curious.
Maybe some high level federal jobs, small DC litigation boutiques, best clerkships. In general most biglaw firm jobs would be open to top NU students but the farther you get away from corporate law the better it is to be at HYS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:32 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
MarkTwain wrote:I know 7 left UVA last year (1 to each of HYS, 3 to NYU, 1 unknown), and 6 left Columbia (HYS).
I can understand transferring up to HYS, but NYU? :?
yea, bitch :wink:

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:13 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
MarkTwain wrote:I know 7 left UVA last year (1 to each of HYS, 3 to NYU, 1 unknown), and 6 left Columbia (HYS).
I can understand transferring up to HYS, but NYU? :?
I would be willing to transfer to NYU from NU, but in large part b/c of their 7 semester JD/LLM in Taxation and a strong interest in working in tax law having worked as a CPA for 5+ years before attending law school. However, if the second semester goes well, I may have far less of an incentive to transfer as law review may be a viable option.

Otherwise, I'll just apply to their LLM program during my my 2L year with some possibilities of still completing in 7 semesters.

It's worth point out that any transfer considerations on my behalf (outside of HYS) have very little to do with prestige.
Last edited by chadwick218 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:19 pm

i saw in some other thread a Hamilton scholar from Columbia who transferred to Stanford :shock: :shock: :shock:

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:23 pm

englawyer wrote:i saw in some other thread a Hamilton scholar from Columbia who transferred to Stanford :shock: :shock: :shock:
If my family had "money" and if I always had my sights set in Stanford, I would do the exact same thing. I think that for a lot of people, myself included, there are certain idiosyncratic values associated with particular schools. As irrational as this choice my seem to an outside, it is very rational indeed to the respective transfer.
Last edited by chadwick218 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:24 pm

englawyer wrote:i saw in some other thread a Hamilton scholar from Columbia who transferred to Stanford :shock: :shock: :shock:
Stanford >>> Columbia.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:28 pm

rayiner wrote:
Stanford >>> Columbia.
I was surprised because in the whole Hamilton vs HLS debate, most people were saying Hamilton aside from academia/clerkships

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:32 pm

englawyer wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Stanford >>> Columbia.
I was surprised because in the whole Hamilton vs HLS debate, most people were saying Hamilton aside from academia/clerkships
True, but there were a lot of people on the other side of the fence with respect to Hamilton v. Harvard. Again, I think that this largely comes down to personal preferences. I don't think that there is a wrong answer so long is the choice is for the right reasons.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:36 pm

I will consider transferring under two circumstances.

1. I don't get the top 7% required for VLR but have grades good enough (top 8% to 15%?) to allow for an HLS transfer and a chance at HLR.

2. I suddenly can't take living on the east coast anymore. Attempt a transfer to Berkeley/Stanford.

I feel like these are the two valid reasons for transferring from one T14 to another. Either you narrowly miss Law Review but can still swing an HLS transfer, or you transfer for personal reasons.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:39 pm

englawyer wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Stanford >>> Columbia.
I think Columbia -> Stanford makes a lot more sense than Virginia -> Columbia. The latter transfer might give you marginally better opportunities in biglaw, but I don't think it'd open up fundamentally different options in academia/clerkships/entrepreneurship, especially if you give up LR. On the other hand, the Stanford name carries a lot of weight in other fields (business, engineering) that might open up doors in interdisciplinary areas.

totalidiot

New

Post by totalidiot » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:48 pm

Well, if you transfer down, would they ever offer you a full scholly to do so? So, let's say you transfer from Stanford to Arizona to be closer to your S/O or whatever--any chance Arizona would give you a full ride to come?

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:29 pm

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:25 pm

Also, transferring out of Stanford, unless it was to Harvard or Yale, to be near a SO would be so far beyond retarded that you would rightfully be looked upon as a moron by pretty much everyone.

If your relationship is serious enough to contemplate making such a move, then your relationship should be strong enough to survive 2 more years of long-distance relationship. Alternatively, your SO should relocate--unless they have some absolutely ridiculous job, there is absolutely *nothing* that they would be giving up that aeven approaches what you would lose by transferring from a T14--much less freaking Stanford--to Arizona.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”