For those looking to transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawl Shcool

Silver

For those looking to transfer

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:17 am

There have been a lot of transfer threads popping up recently and since I am also looking into this possibility I would like to consolidate some of the information and get some discussion on target schools. I have poured over the Yahoo group (transfer apps) to try and get a feel for T1 schools that transfer friendly but would love some other opinions.

My strategy is to pepper T14 and T1 schools with apps and hope that something sticks. I realize this list contains a lot of optimism but transferring seems to be a black box and I do not want to have any 'what if' feelings.

My list so far:

Columbia - takes around 50 transfers each year
NYU - takes around 50 transfers each year
Chicago - isn't a big fan of T4 kids but they have a EA app I will probably take a chance on
GULC - the big transfer school, approx 100 a year
Berkley / UCLA - speculating that with the state in bankruptcy they will increase transfer class size
Ohio State - where I went to undergrad, cheapest option, but not very transfer friendly

So, where else should I be looking at?
Last edited by Lawl Shcool on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hey there guy

New

Re: For those looking to transfer

Post by hey there guy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:57 am

i would say that columbia, nyu, and chi are almost certainly out. i was just about the top student at my T3 and got rejected from all of them. gulc will defer you if you apply EA after this semester's grades. not sure about the CA schools, btu the fact that you are going to school in CA will bode well, i think. prob fine with OSU.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:04 pm

hey there guy wrote:i would say that columbia, nyu, and chi are almost certainly out. i was just about the top student at my T3 and got rejected from all of them. gulc will defer you if you apply EA after this semester's grades. not sure about the CA schools, btu the fact that you are going to school in CA will bode well, i think. prob fine with OSU.
Ya I am certainly not expecting anything with regards to CCN but I only have one shot at this and I don't want to have any regrets. It's a bit unsettling to hear that you got dinged from all 3 from the top of your class as I am expecting to be number 1 when the rankings get released. I wasn't planning on doing the EA at GULC because I would choose OSU over GULC due to money concerns and wouldn't want to have to make the go/don't go without having all my options in front of me.

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:30 pm

JPU wrote:Background: I had awful entering stats and attend a TTTT
You mean "FTT," I think. =)
Ohio State - where I went to undergrad, cheapest option, but not very transfer friendly
Does OSU publish stats on the number of apps received and how many they accept? There may not be very many people added to the class as transfers because there aren't a ton of people applying. I thought schools in that range accept most people that apply with decent grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:04 pm

upgrade wrote:
JPU wrote:Background: I had awful entering stats and attend a TTTT
You mean "FTT," I think. =)
Does OSU publish stats on the number of apps received and how many they accept? There may not be very many people added to the class as transfers because there aren't a ton of people applying. I thought schools in that range accept most people that apply with decent grades.
FTT?

I am having trouble finding a source on-line but I know OSU does not take many transfers (usually less than 20) from talking with people at the school. Plus, on their website they have a "must be competitive for regular admissions" line which makes me nervous.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

TT

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:07 pm

TTT- Third Tier Toilet
FTT- Fourth Tier Toilet

imo FTT should refer to 'First Tier Toilet', schools in the first tier that suck.

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:13 pm

JPU wrote:There have been a lot of transfer threads popping up recently and since I am also looking into this possibility I would like to consolidate some of the information and get some discussion on target schools. I have poured over the Yahoo group (transfer apps) to try and get a feel for T1 schools that transfer friendly but would love some other opinions.

Background: I had awful entering stats and attend a TTTT in SoCal and would like to transfer up as high as possible. I would give out my numbers but I don't want this to become a 'what are my chances thread'. I busted my ass all semester and did way better than I had planned on and want to make sure I can make the best/most informed decision regarding transferring.

My strategy is to pepper T14 and T1 schools with apps and hope that something sticks. I realize this list contains a lot of optimism but transferring seems to be a black box and I do not want to have any 'what if' feelings.

My list so far:

Chicago - isn't a big fan of T4 kids but they have a EA app I will probably take a chance on
Berkley / UCLA - speculating that with the state in bankruptcy they will increase transfer class size

Just want to make sure you know the Chicago ED is binding

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:15 pm

jerjon2 wrote:
JPU wrote:There have been a lot of transfer threads popping up recently and since I am also looking into this possibility I would like to consolidate some of the information and get some discussion on target schools. I have poured over the Yahoo group (transfer apps) to try and get a feel for T1 schools that transfer friendly but would love some other opinions.

Background: I had awful entering stats and attend a TTTT in SoCal and would like to transfer up as high as possible. I would give out my numbers but I don't want this to become a 'what are my chances thread'. I busted my ass all semester and did way better than I had planned on and want to make sure I can make the best/most informed decision regarding transferring.

My list so far:

Just want to make sure you know the Chicago ED is binding
Ya I know, but if I got in I would go and I figure the EA gives me a slightly better chance at being admitted. Best case scenario CCN is a long shot from my position but I would goto any of them in a heart beat.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hey there guy

New

Post by hey there guy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:26 pm

JPU wrote:
hey there guy wrote:i would say that columbia, nyu, and chi are almost certainly out. i was just about the top student at my T3 and got rejected from all of them. gulc will defer you if you apply EA after this semester's grades. not sure about the CA schools, btu the fact that you are going to school in CA will bode well, i think. prob fine with OSU.
Ya I am certainly not expecting anything with regards to CCN but I only have one shot at this and I don't want to have any regrets. It's a bit unsettling to hear that you got dinged from all 3 from the top of your class as I am expecting to be number 1 when the rankings get released. I wasn't planning on doing the EA at GULC because I would choose OSU over GULC due to money concerns and wouldn't want to have to make the go/don't go without having all my options in front of me.
yea i would definitely say go for it. i got into a T14 that i wouldn't have expected.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:01 pm

Realistically, you probably don't have much of a shot at HYS; so, all you have to lose by applying to Chicago ED will be the application fee. That said, you probably won't make it in, but it is worth the attempt. Sending an app in to GULC ED is a given.

For your "real" transfer cycle, you're probably taking the right approach of just papering the places you would want to xfer to. Be aware, however, that transfer students at an OSU probably aren't going to have particularly good job prospects. If it doesn't cost significantly more at the new school, it may be worth it (though your T4 will probably offer you money to stay,) however, if you want to practice in SoCal, tbh, transferring to anywhere outside of the T14, UCLA, perhaps give Irvine a call and see if they will accept a transfer application, Hastings, etc.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:04 pm

hey there guy wrote:
JPU wrote:
yea i would definitely say go for it. i got into a T14 that i wouldn't have expected.
Where? if you don't mind me asking. It seems that coming from T3/T4 transfer admissions are pretty random and unpredictable. I also have no idea what the reputation of my current school is amongst top schools but I know 28 students transferred out last year but do not know where to.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:08 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Realistically, you probably don't have much of a shot at HYS; so, all you have to lose by applying to Chicago ED will be the application fee. That said, you probably won't make it in, but it is worth the attempt. Sending an app in to GULC ED is a given.

For your "real" transfer cycle, you're probably taking the right approach of just papering the places you would want to xfer to. Be aware, however, that transfer students at an OSU probably aren't going to have particularly good job prospects. If it doesn't cost significantly more at the new school, it may be worth it (though your T4 will probably offer you money to stay,) however, if you want to practice in SoCal, tbh, transferring to anywhere outside of the T14, UCLA, perhaps give Irvine a call and see if they will accept a transfer application, Hastings, etc.
Well I have no real geographic preferences as to where I want to practice, my main concern is just graduating from the best school I can. I thought about Irvine too, thats where I wanted to go originally, but I wonder if they are taking transfers and if the transfers will get the full-ride that the original class got.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:13 pm

JPU wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Realistically, you probably don't have much of a shot at HYS; so, all you have to lose by applying to Chicago ED will be the application fee. That said, you probably won't make it in, but it is worth the attempt. Sending an app in to GULC ED is a given.

Well I have no real geographic preferences as to where I want to practice, my main concern is just graduating from the best school I can. I thought about Irvine too, thats where I wanted to go originally, but I wonder if they are taking transfers and if the transfers will get the full-ride that the original class got.
No idea whether they are taking transfers. Chances of them giving you any money are pretty low, though.

"Best school" is a really touch-and-go definition ITE. If you transfer to OSU... is it objectively a better school than your current one? Probably. Does it give you any improvement on job options? That question is more debateable--OSU is generally considered to be at the bottom of the Midwest T1 schools (tied with a few others.) If Wisconsin's current situation is any indicator, OSU students don't have it particularly well. Ultimately, "the best", at this point, should have some connection to job prospects.

Genesis

New

Post by Genesis » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:16 pm

hey there guy wrote:
JPU wrote:
I also would like to know :D What were your class stats if you dont mind?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Transfer friendly schools:

NYU
Columbia
G-Town
WUSTL
UIUC
Hastings
Davis
UCLA

This is just off the top of my head so add at will.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Re: TT

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:52 pm

ntzsch wrote:
Lxw wrote:TTT- Third Tier Toilet
FTT- Fourth Tier Toilet

imo FTT should refer to 'First Tier Toilet', schools in the first tier that suck.
which schools did you have in mind?
Cardozo comes to mind. There's also a couple schools in the T1 on USNews that I've honestly never even heard of.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Unjust Enrichment

Bronze

Post by Unjust Enrichment » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:43 pm

Lxw wrote:
ntzsch wrote:
Lxw wrote:TTT- Third Tier Toilet
FTT- Fourth Tier Toilet

which schools did you have in mind?
Cardozo comes to mind. There's also a couple schools in the T1 on USNews that I've honestly never even heard of.
If you haven't heard of them, how do you know they're in T1?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:52 pm

Unjust Enrichment wrote:If you haven't heard of them, how do you know they're in T1?
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... s/rankings ? lol

Unjust Enrichment

Bronze

Post by Unjust Enrichment » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:20 am

Then you have heard of them.

(I'm just being a nit for the fun of it.)

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:22 am

Unjust Enrichment wrote:Then you have heard of them.
(I'm just being a nit for the fun of it.)
I hadn't heard of them. I had seen of them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:27 am

Just how binding is Chicago ed? Does it only mean you cannot apply for transfer to any other schools or does it also rule out the possiblity that you might change your mind and stay at your current school?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:40 am

hombredulce wrote:Just how binding is Chicago ed? Does it only mean you cannot apply for transfer to any other schools or does it also rule out the possiblity that you might change your mind and stay at your current school?
"Early Decision acceptances are binding on the applicant, which means that, if admitted, you will commit to matriculating at the Law School and will withdraw all other transfer applications at other law schools." http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospectives/transfer

Sounds like you are committing to attend if accepted.

RonSantoRules

New

Post by RonSantoRules » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:41 am

2 thoughts on transferring (which doesn't necessarily apply to you but might):

(1) Don't do EA anywhere unless you are positive that is the place you want to go. I wasted $500 bucks applying to GULC EA and paying the first seat deposit caused I was scared that my grades would drop and they actually went up. Moreover, let's say you get in and your grades drop, now you'll have to explain why you were only top 25% at XYZ school at OCI, which would not be fun. Additionally, you might cut off options at a place like U Chicago (which is binding). I can guarantee you that ToTransferorNot would have gotten into HLS this year had TTON not done binding Chicago EA, but I will let TTON weigh in on whether it was a good decision. If you are paying sticker, you might as well go to the absolute best place you can get in, especially ITE.

(2) Apply anywhere you think you might have a fighting chance. CLS and NYU take a boatload of transfers (50-60), and even HLS took 35 this year. If you are going to be paying 65-70K per year for tuition, just pay the 70 bucks to apply.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:10 am

Re: Chicago ED

I wouldn't recommend it to the vast majority of people; as I've pointed out, it locks out HYS, and I still have "what if" moments about that.

I want to practice in Chicago. My family is in the Chicago burbs and Wisconsin. I really have no interest in living on either coast, even for two years. If Chicago ED was going to be a good decision for anyone, it would have been a good decision for me. The only better argument would be "my SO has a job in Chicago and won't be able to go elsewhere." I don't regret doing ED--there are just "what if" moments.

The one significant advantage Chicago ED has, however, is that it narrows the schools you need to do a LR+secondary journal write-on for. Had I not done Chicago ED, I would have had to do write-ons for Georgetown, Harvard, Chicago, Wisconsin, and one or two others during the summer, without knowing whether I was even attending the school. As it stands, I was able to focus on the Chicago write-on--didn't get Law Review, but I did get a secondary journal. For Chicago employers, and 7th circuit judges, I'm not convinced that Harvard (no journal) looks significantly better than Chicago (secondary journal).

I also really, really like the quarter system.

I'm going to disagree with Ron i/r/t the Georgetown ED application, though. $500 in the long-view of law school debt is trivial. There is a sense of calm that comes with getting that GULC acceptance. Also, if you're confident you would go to GULC instead of staying at your current school, it makes it so that you don't need to do the LR write-on/Moot Court tryouts etc. at your current school. Now, GULC ED ended up being a source of stress for me, because I had to withdraw when Chicago let me in, without knowing whether Chicago would revoke for inconsistent performance.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”