IOWA 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
lsatClay
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby lsatClay » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:40 am

Now I need to figure out how to buy furniture and move it to my apartment. If anyone has a truck or something and could go with me to goodwill that would really, really be useful...

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby JOThompson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:39 am

lsatClay wrote:Now I need to figure out how to buy furniture and move it to my apartment. If anyone has a truck or something and could go with me to goodwill that would really, really be useful...

I ran into the same problem. I've been buying cheap furniture from Staples, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. and having it delivered. Goodwill and Stuff, Etc. feature some awesome deals but the minimum delivery fee at the latter is $45. My car does have folding rear seats and I'm happy to try hauling some smaller stuff for you.

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:49 am

Slimpee wrote:I talked with another dude about meeting up tomorrow. If you PM me your name and phone number i'll shoot you a text if anything goes down. Or, if anyone plans something let TLS know!

Also, I just booked a Megabus ticket to Chicago leaving Wed., coming back Sat. It was only $51 and it isn't any slower than going by car. Not a bad deal!


That sounds like a really good deal, actually. Are the times/locations convenient?

User avatar
Yacht_Party
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Yacht_Party » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:33 pm

I'll be in tomorrow afternoon; up for drinks, anything

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:50 pm

Just got books, $617 (didn't buy the two recommended books for LAWR or the dictionary).

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby JOThompson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:55 pm

traehekat wrote:Just got books, $617 (didn't buy the two recommended books for LAWR or the dictionary).

You can buy the old versions of the recommended books for a few dollars on Amazon. I found that out a little late, after I'd already shelled out $120 for the two.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:59 pm

JOThompson wrote:
traehekat wrote:Just got books, $617 (didn't buy the two recommended books for LAWR or the dictionary).

You can buy the old versions of the recommended books for a few dollars on Amazon. I found that out a little late, after I'd already shelled out $120 for the two.


Nice, thanks for letting me know. I seriously stood there in silence for about 5 seconds thinking, "Oh man, is everyone else buying these books? DO I NEED THESE BOOKS?! WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE THESE BOOKS!?!?"

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby JOThompson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:08 pm

traehekat wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
traehekat wrote:Just got books, $617 (didn't buy the two recommended books for LAWR or the dictionary).

You can buy the old versions of the recommended books for a few dollars on Amazon. I found that out a little late, after I'd already shelled out $120 for the two.


Nice, thanks for letting me know. I seriously stood there in silence for about 5 seconds thinking, "Oh man, is everyone else buying these books? DO I NEED THESE BOOKS?! WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE THESE BOOKS!?!?"

I felt a bit pressured also, and against my better judgment, I bought them on the spot. Unfortunately, optional books aren't returnable so I had to resell them on Amazon at a 20% loss. Bought the previous versions for $9 each shipped.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:30 pm

JOThompson wrote:
traehekat wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
traehekat wrote:Just got books, $617 (didn't buy the two recommended books for LAWR or the dictionary).

You can buy the old versions of the recommended books for a few dollars on Amazon. I found that out a little late, after I'd already shelled out $120 for the two.


Nice, thanks for letting me know. I seriously stood there in silence for about 5 seconds thinking, "Oh man, is everyone else buying these books? DO I NEED THESE BOOKS?! WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE THESE BOOKS!?!?"

I felt a bit pressured also, and against my better judgment, I bought them on the spot. Unfortunately, optional books aren't returnable so I had to resell them on Amazon at a 20% loss. Bought the previous versions for $9 each shipped.


Yeah, when she dropped the "unreturnable" bomb I was like, ... I'll pass for now.

kazootey
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby kazootey » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:28 pm

I bought Black's Law Dictionary, 5th edition (1979), for $1 back home at my local library's used bookstore. Obviously it isn't updated for current definitions and new terminology, but I would imagine for the basics it's pretty solid. Is spending $100 for the current edition worth it, considering I have an older one already?

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:04 pm

Anyone interested in doing a fantasy football league? I'm thinking 10 teams, live auction style draft (we could even do it in person at or near the school), $20 buy in with all the cash being distributed in prize money to the top 3 or 4 teams. I've commished a league for a long time and would love to run another just with law school people.

User avatar
Yacht_Party
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Yacht_Party » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:51 pm

Interested in fantasy. Pm me

lsatClay
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby lsatClay » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:08 pm

I'm down for fantasy football
Got my Iowa ID and my ID photo makes me look crazy. She kept on telling me my eyes were closed, so in the photo they are too open...

User avatar
elizaD
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby elizaD » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:33 pm

lsatClay wrote:I'm down for fantasy football
Got my Iowa ID and my ID photo makes me look crazy. She kept on telling me my eyes were closed, so in the photo they are too open...


I'm pretty sure sweat is dripping down my face in my picture. I thought it would be cooler up here than it is in St. Louis... I was wrong.

Oh, what's a good sports bar in IC? (Specifically for watching soccer? USA plays Brazil tonight and I dont have espn)

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:54 pm

elizaD wrote:
lsatClay wrote:I'm down for fantasy football
Got my Iowa ID and my ID photo makes me look crazy. She kept on telling me my eyes were closed, so in the photo they are too open...


I'm pretty sure sweat is dripping down my face in my picture. I thought it would be cooler up here than it is in St. Louis... I was wrong.

Oh, what's a good sports bar in IC? (Specifically for watching soccer? USA plays Brazil tonight and I dont have espn)


Blue Moose had a fair amount of good sized TVs, but it didn't strike me as really a sports bar. It should get the job done, but I'm sure there are plenty of bars with decent TVs and viewing areas.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby JOThompson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:16 pm

Yeah. The Blue Moose is my fave (moose droppings), but it's not where I'd go to watch a soccer game. I know that Buffalo Wild Wings covers UFC, maybe it's worth a shot for soccer too.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Slimpee » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:16 pm

Im meeting a dude at The Mill, 120 E Burlington (across from The Sheraton), at 8 pm. I've been there once for lunch, which was delicious. It's pretty close to the ped mall and stuff if people want to go elsewhere after.

I'll be wearing a white polo which will probably be sweaty as all hell...
Join up!

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby JOThompson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Slimpee wrote:Im meeting a dude at The Mill, 120 E Burlington (across from The Sheraton), at 8 pm. I've been there once for lunch, which was delicious. It's pretty close to the ped mall and stuff if people want to go elsewhere after.

I'll be wearing a white polo which will probably be sweaty as all hell...
Join up!

I should be there around 815-830. If I can find it, I'll be sporting my Iowa law shirt. Looks exactly like my avatar.

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:46 pm

elizaD wrote:
lsatClay wrote:I'm down for fantasy football
Got my Iowa ID and my ID photo makes me look crazy. She kept on telling me my eyes were closed, so in the photo they are too open...


I'm pretty sure sweat is dripping down my face in my picture. I thought it would be cooler up here than it is in St. Louis... I was wrong.

Oh, what's a good sports bar in IC? (Specifically for watching soccer? USA plays Brazil tonight and I dont have espn)


You could try the Vine. I haven't been around Iowa City too much, but a friend from the area said he likes it a lot and the wings are good.

theghostofDrewTate
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:43 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby theghostofDrewTate » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:56 pm

tate033 wrote:
theghostofDrewTate wrote:Relax on the student tickets. You'll get them. Back in the old days when I went there, LS started a week or two before UG and I think two weeks before the first football game. You just go over to the ticket office on the first Monday of the first week when LS has the intro to legal skills class and buy your tickets then. That way, you don't have to worry about them getting lost or stolen in the mail. The ticket office isn't far from the LS.

Ever since they moved the student section, it has been about half empty for nearly every game, including during our sick run last year. It's a shame, but it means you should have no problem scoring tickets. Don't sweat it.


sorry, just had to call this guy out ;)


Oh goodness, I'm terribly sorry. Back in '05, the Hawks were ranked in the top 10 in the preseason and there were multiple open rows at the top of the student section at every game because the Hawks gagged a bunch of games away. I can't believe they sold out the student section. That is terrible news. Oh well, I've officially made my prediction for 8-4 (I correctly called 10-2 last year though I thought the losses would be PSU and OSU) and if that happens you guys will have no problem scoring tickets. Iowa fans are super fair weather, 3 years ago we couldn't give our tickets away to games we couldn't make and now everybody and his brother is begging me and my buddy for our tickets and they will pay a premium. Good luck.

theghostofDrewTate
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:43 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby theghostofDrewTate » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:01 am

kazootey wrote:I bought Black's Law Dictionary, 5th edition (1979), for $1 back home at my local library's used bookstore. Obviously it isn't updated for current definitions and new terminology, but I would imagine for the basics it's pretty solid. Is spending $100 for the current edition worth it, considering I have an older one already?


Make sure it has definitions for replevin, trover, detinue, consortium and consanguinity. If it has those, you're golden.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby JOThompson » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:18 am

Good meetup. It was a pleasure to meet you all tonight. Let's hang out again soon.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:21 am

JOThompson wrote:Good meetup. It was a pleasure to meet you all tonight. Let's hang out again soon.


Indeed, it was great meeting everyone. The Paper Chase on Saturday is definitely going down... somewhere.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Slimpee » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:24 am

traehekat wrote:
JOThompson wrote:Good meetup. It was a pleasure to meet you all tonight. Let's hang out again soon.


Indeed, it was great meeting everyone. The Paper Chase on Saturday is definitely going down... somewhere.


x2. If the group tonight is any indication of the quality of the rest of the student body, we're going to have a great three years!

And yes, Sat. will happen. PM's/text/TLS discussion to follow...

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby MoS » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:52 am

Got into town yesterday evening. If you are desperate to see soccer always remember Mexican themed restaurants tend to have it playing. Pancheros had the US Brazil game on in the evening on Univision, but it's not a bar.

Also it sucks I can't get a bed delivered until Friday. I should have planed that one out better.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest