IOWA 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
kazootey

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby kazootey » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:47 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:
Yacht_Party wrote:what laptop class

+1

Read the computer services letter that came with all the other stuff. It's in the 3rd paragraph.

elizaD

Postby elizaD » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:54 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:

+1

If you are in Iowa City before orientation begins, you would be wise to get your ID card at Iowa One Card Services located in 3 Jessup Hall, register your car with the Parking Office (IMU parking ramp) or online at http://www.uiowa.edu/~parking/student_o ... ration.pdf, get familiar with bus and bike routes, and complete the AAccessing On-Line Services@ workshop. You can register for the workshop at http://www.law.uiowa.edu/library/computerclass.php .

Yacht_Party

Postby Yacht_Party » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:12 pm

elizaD wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:

+1

If you are in Iowa City before orientation begins, you would be wise to get your ID card at Iowa One Card Services located in 3 Jessup Hall, register your car with the Parking Office (IMU parking ramp) or online at http://www.uiowa.edu/~parking/student_o ... ration.pdf, get familiar with bus and bike routes, and complete the AAccessing On-Line Services@ workshop. You can register for the workshop at http://www.law.uiowa.edu/library/computerclass.php .

ugh really?

MoS

Postby MoS » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:21 pm

Yeah, it's required. But it's only 45 minutes.

Yacht_Party

Postby Yacht_Party » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:25 pm

Hmm. My undergrad just sent us a packet to do that stuff ourselves. Ah well.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:09 am

A tentative orientation schedule has been uploaded to ICON. Lots of lunches, lots of speeches/remarks/panels.

The online bookstore also has an updated list of the casebooks/materials needed for each class, in case anyone wanted to start looking for deal on Amazon or something now.

kazootey

Postby kazootey » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:38 am

Good lord, there are way more activities/events than I thought. When I looked at the Intro class schedule that they sent us, I thought that was it, that orientation would only be a few hours per day. I'm not sure I like this schedule...

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:44 am

kazootey wrote:Good lord, there are way more activities/events than I thought. When I looked at the Intro class schedule that they sent us, I thought that was it, that orientation would only be a few hours per day. I'm not sure I like this schedule...

Yeah, it's a lot. And what the hell is a box lunch, lol?

Looking at the casebooks on Amazon, there are some pretty hefty differences between new and used. For instance, Epstein's Cases and Materials on Torts is $128 new, or $42 used (a little more if you want a copy that is halfway decent). I wonder if the extra money is worth a new book with no writing in it...

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:04 am

traehekat wrote:
kazootey wrote:Good lord, there are way more activities/events than I thought. When I looked at the Intro class schedule that they sent us, I thought that was it, that orientation would only be a few hours per day. I'm not sure I like this schedule...

Looking at the casebooks on Amazon, there are some pretty hefty differences between new and used. For instance, Epstein's Cases and Materials on Torts is $128 new, or $42 used (a little more if you want a copy that is halfway decent). I wonder if the extra money is worth a new book with no writing in it...

I used to work at my old university's bookstore and the law books were always worth the new over used price when I saw them. The used ended up being written in and highlighted and pretty much, well... used.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:58 am

jaskat wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I used to work at my old university's bookstore and the law books were always worth the new over used price when I saw them. The used ended up being written in and highlighted and pretty much, well... used.

Yeaaah, like sometimes you can find "used" books that don't really have a lot of marking in them, if any at all. I have a feeling though most used law books are going to be fairly heavily marked up.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:07 am

I took a few law courses as an undergrad, and every single used book, including my own, are HEAVILY used.

Also, anyone else notice that the class schedule on ISIS is NOT the same as the one the school sent out?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:58 am

Jerome wrote:I took a few law courses as an undergrad, and every single used book, including my own, are HEAVILY used.

Also, anyone else notice that the class schedule on ISIS is NOT the same as the one the school sent out?

Mine looks the same, are you looking at the calendar view or the thing above it on ISIS? The calendar view isn't very exact, like I have LAWR at 10:20 but the way it's laid out on the calendared makes it look like it starts at 10:00.

OkieGirl

Postby OkieGirl » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:19 pm

I finally made it to Iowa City after 18 hours and a blowout in the U-Haul! The townhouse that I am living in is about 2.5 miles from the law school but a bus stop is in front of the door. It's not what I expected at all, but in a good way! It seems like there are a lot of things to choose from as far as stores, restaurants, etc. are concerned. Yay!

I'll make the drive again Aug 10th and 11th. I'll be driving through Houston-Dallas-Tulsa-Joplin-Kansas City-Des Moines-and Iowa City if anyone wants to save some money and hitch a ride with me!
Last edited by OkieGirl on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:32 pm

OkieGirl wrote:I finally made it to Iowa City after 18 hours and a blowout in the U-Haul! The townhouse that I am living in is about 2.5 miles from the law school but a bus stop is in front of the door. It's not what I expected at all, but in a good way! It seems like there are a lot of things to choose from as far as stores, restaurants, etc. are concerned. Yay!

I'll be make the drive again Aug 10th and 11th. I'll be driving through Houston-Dallas-Tulsa-Joplin-Kansas City-Des Moines-and Iowa City if anyone wants to save some money and hitch a ride with me!

Welcome to Iowa City!

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:36 pm

nyskidude wrote:
OkieGirl wrote:I finally made it to Iowa City after 18 hours and a blowout in the U-Haul! The townhouse that I am living in is about 2.5 miles from the law school but a bus stop is in front of the door. It's not what I expected at all, but in a good way! It seems like there are a lot of things to choose from as far as stores, restaurants, etc. are concerned. Yay!

I'll be make the drive again Aug 10th and 11th. I'll be driving through Houston-Dallas-Tulsa-Joplin-Kansas City-Des Moines-and Iowa City if anyone wants to save some money and hitch a ride with me!

Welcome to Iowa City!

+1

kazootey

Postby kazootey » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:43 pm

T-minus 1 week until I get to Iowa City, cannot wait to get out of here and get back to school.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:31 pm

kazootey wrote:T-minus 1 week until I get to Iowa City, cannot wait to get out of here and get back to school.

+1

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:19 pm

traehekat wrote:
Jerome wrote:I took a few law courses as an undergrad, and every single used book, including my own, are HEAVILY used.

Mine looks the same, are you looking at the calendar view or the thing above it on ISIS? The calendar view isn't very exact, like I have LAWR at 10:20 but the way it's laid out on the calendared makes it look like it starts at 10:00.

I'm looking at the actual calendar on ISIS vs. the class times written on the one sent by the school - contracts shows up as 8:-9:20, M-W on the sent calendar, and as 3-5, M-W on ISIS.

lsatClay

Postby lsatClay » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:46 pm

traehekat wrote:

Don't know if you are serious, but a box lunch is usually a sandwich, bag of chips, maybe a piece of fruit. It comes in a box, hence the term "box lunch".

pizzaface

Postby pizzaface » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:47 pm

Jerome wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I'm looking at the actual calendar on ISIS vs. the class times written on the one sent by the school - contracts shows up as 8:-9:20, M-W on the sent calendar, and as 3-5, M-W on ISIS.

It's possible you are now in a different section. The one we were sent was dated July 9, while the one currently on ICON is dated July 13. Maybe check out the section assignment on ICON to confirm?

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:37 pm

pizzaface wrote:
Jerome wrote:
traehekat wrote:

It's possible you are now in a different section. The one we were sent was dated July 9, while the one currently on ICON is dated July 13. Maybe check out the section assignment on ICON to confirm?

That was my initial thought, too. According to ISIS and ICON, I am still Section 5, though. I guess I shouldn't complain - having class every day at 8 would have sucked.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:47 am

So it looks like I was moved into a different section. According to ISIS my earliest class is now Prop at 9:40 am instead of my previous 8 am (section six on the sent sheet). Still no class on Friday on only one class on Thurs (LAWR). Does this seem right? If so, that's a sick schedule!

Maybe it'll change again...

EDIT: According to the sent sheet it looks like Section 6 is the only section w/ LAWR at 2:45 on Wed. and Thurs. but section 6 is also supposed to have 8 AM Contracts...
Last edited by Slimpee on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:50 am

Slimpee wrote:So it looks like I was moved into a different section. According to ISIS my earliest class is now Prop at 9:40 am instead of my previous 8 am (section six on the sent sheet). Still no class on Friday on only one class on Thurs (LAWR). Does this seem right? If so, that's a sick schedule!

It's Schedule Roulette!

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:29 pm

Slimpee wrote:So it looks like I was moved into a different section. According to ISIS my earliest class is now Prop at 9:40 am instead of my previous 8 am (section six on the sent sheet). Still no class on Friday on only one class on Thurs (LAWR). Does this seem right? If so, that's a sick schedule!

EDIT: According to the sent sheet it looks like Section 6 is the only section w/ LAWR at 2:45 on Wed. and Thurs. but section 6 is also supposed to have 8 AM Contracts...

I'm section 5, so we have the same property and contracts class - looks like it was changed for sure. To check section, look at ISIS class schedule - the third set of digits on Dep:Crs:Sec is your section.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:55 pm

Jerome wrote:

I'm section 5, so we have the same property and contracts class - looks like it was changed for sure. To check section, look at ISIS class schedule - the third set of digits on Dep:Crs:Sec is your section.

Yeah, i'm still section 6. They must've changed the schedule since they posted the schedule in the packet (which I have yet to receive). I'm actually kind of disappointed I don't have the 8 AM class. I was looking forward to being up a bit earlier...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”