IOWA 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
MoS

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby MoS » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:54 am

TorpedoVegas wrote:hey everyone, i am desperately looking for advice on this matter. i paid my deposits a few weeks ago, and am currently really looking forward to trekking out to iowa to attend law school in the fall. problem is, i am currently in china, as i have been for the past year and a half, and will be until basically orientation week, obviously precluding me from searching for apartments in person. my only requirement basically is living close to the law school, and that i'd like a roommate to break up the monotony of studying by myself. i know people advise to use the housing list, but for my unique situation (i.e. i'd love to be your roommate, but can't participate in the housing hunt whatsoever), it really isn't working out. can anyone lend a hand? i'd be more than happy to buy anyone a beer this august for some helpful advice. thanks in advance!

I am not sure why this means you can't get a roommate off the list. I wasn't able to physically go up and check out apartments, my roommate that I got off the list wasn't either. Just go for it, what's the worst that can happen?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:09 pm

I also recommend using the list. I mean, how ELSE are you going to find a roommate if you are in China?

kazootey

Postby kazootey » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:13 pm

Are there any events for students before the first day of orientation? Also, what is this 1 credit course during orientation all about anyway? Is it graded?

MoS

Postby MoS » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:16 pm

I am getting anxious, when do you think we will get our sections and schedules?

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:38 pm

I think we might have to wait until orientation for that, which isn't fair since my friends going to other law schools already got theirs.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:08 pm

MoS wrote:I am getting anxious, when do you think we will get our sections and schedules?

The letter re: orientation says we should get class schedules, instructor's names, etc. in late July.

Yacht_Party

Postby Yacht_Party » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:22 pm

kazootey wrote:Also, what is this 1 credit course during orientation all about anyway? Is it graded?

Graded on a harsh curve. It's a weed out course.

kazootey

Postby kazootey » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:27 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:
kazootey wrote:Also, what is this 1 credit course during orientation all about anyway? Is it graded?

Lol very funny. I would bet money, though, that someone shows up to the orientation class with a cutthroat attitude, trying to sabotage the efforts of other students right out of the gate. I just have never heard of a for-credit course during orientation. Seems a little strange, but what do I know.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:00 pm

Have you guys done the immunization form yet? I'm kind of confused on what is required - do we just need to send in records verifying immunization or do we actually need to have this form filled out and signed by a physician?

mshflyer

Postby mshflyer » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:02 pm

traehekat wrote:Have you guys done the immunization form yet? I'm kind of confused on what is required - do we just need to send in records verifying immunization or do we actually need to have this form filled out and signed by a physician?

I actually just mailed the form in. I just printed the form, wrote my name and info on it and attached a copy of my immunization record to it. Hopefully this will be fine, but I'll let you know if they don't accept it.

Undergradut

Postby Undergradut » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:18 pm

mshflyer wrote:
traehekat wrote:Have you guys done the immunization form yet? I'm kind of confused on what is required - do we just need to send in records verifying immunization or do we actually need to have this form filled out and signed by a physician?

I actually just mailed the form in. I just printed the form, wrote my name and info on it and attached a copy of my immunization record to it. Hopefully this will be fine, but I'll let you know if they don't accept it.

I sent in a physician-signed copy of my immunization form, which was originally filled out for my undergrad's health services. I checked ISIS, and it says the form was accepted.

There is one side of the form, I think, that asks for contact information and stuff like that. I filled out that part.

MoS

Postby MoS » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:59 pm

I just went to the health clinic where I got all my immunizations and they filled it out for me. I signed it and mailed it in, and they have it and said it was fine.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:24 pm

Thanks all!

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:47 pm

kazootey wrote:
Yacht_Party wrote:

Lol very funny. I would bet money, though, that someone shows up to the orientation class with a cutthroat attitude, trying to sabotage the efforts of other students right out of the gate. I just have never heard of a for-credit course during orientation. Seems a little strange, but what do I know.

Every student with whom I spoke when I visited said the course wasn't too bad, but that didn't stop everyone from fearing a failing grade. I wouldn't waste the time worrying about it.

SDSC

Postby SDSC » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:18 pm

I was able to order student football season tickets today. You have to call the athletic ticket office and tell them that you were unable to order tickets online using your student id. They will then ask you for some contact information and your student id number(which is on ISIS). After a few minutes, your student id will be activated and you can order the tickets online. Let me know if you have any questions. This season looks like it will be a good one, so you may want to get your tickets sooner than later.

theghostofDrewTate

Postby theghostofDrewTate » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:07 pm

SDSC wrote:I was able to order student football season tickets today. You have to call the athletic ticket office and tell them that you were unable to order tickets online using your student id. They will then ask you for some contact information and your student id number(which is on ISIS). After a few minutes, your student id will be activated and you can order the tickets online. Let me know if you have any questions. This season looks like it will be a good one, so you may want to get your tickets sooner than later.

The season starts in 60 days and half of you kids on this thread ain't ready. Get fired up. Ten bucks says at least half of you kids will be in the library complaining about the noise 60 days from today or saying "I really like my apartment, I just wish people wouldn't pee outside my window at 7 in the morning." Lame. Take care of business during the week and make sure your weekends are free. LET'S GO HAWKS!

mshflyer

Postby mshflyer » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Is it bad if one of the major reasons I chose Iowa law was their football team? :D

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:04 pm

It is with great regret I inform you all that Aya Gruber is no longer a member of the Iowa College of Law faculty.

--ImageRemoved--

*sigh*

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:15 pm

traehekat wrote:It is with great regret I inform you all that Aya Gruber is no longer a member of the Iowa College of Law faculty.

Old news. I almost applied to CU just because of her...OK, I almost applied there (and should've) because CO is a sick state and Denver is a sick city (yeah yeah, CU is in Boulder) but I didn't because I decided I probably wouldn't get any work done.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:23 pm

Slimpee wrote:
traehekat wrote:It is with great regret I inform you all that Aya Gruber is no longer a member of the Iowa College of Law faculty.

Old news. I almost applied to CU just because of her...OK, I almost applied there (and should've) because CO is a sick state and Denver is a sick city (yeah yeah, CU is in Boulder) but I didn't because I decided I probably wouldn't get any work done.

Yeah, I was just perusing the faculty page and noticed she was no longer on there. I suppose Professor Baldus will have to do...

--ImageRemoved--

MoS

Postby MoS » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:32 pm

I was looking at the book/class list for the fall, and I thought it was funny they use Hovenkamp's book for property but have him teaching torts. The other author of the property book is teaching property though. I think sections 1 and 2 look the best but that is entirely subjective and based on little knowledge of what makes a class in law school a good class.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:47 pm

I was reading some reviews on ratemyprofessors.com earlier. There are varying views on how much people like certain professors, but one thing is consistent among them all - they are pretty tough.

Undergradut

Postby Undergradut » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:43 am

Are there any assignments/readings that we have to complete before orientation week?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:46 am

Undergradut wrote:Are there any assignments/readings that we have to complete before orientation week?

You will receive your class schedule, instructor's names, and detailed information about orientation, including the syllabus and readings, in a second mailing in late July.

elizaD

Postby elizaD » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:10 am

traehekat wrote:I was reading some reviews on ratemyprofessors.com earlier. There are varying views on how much people like certain professors, but one thing is consistent among them all - they are pretty tough.

Wow. I have also done this, but I only just realized how pathetic we are.

And on that note, I'm living with a 3L this year and went up to meet her this past weekend and check out the apt. I also hung out with some of her friends and they all asked if I had my schedule yet so they could give me tips about my professors. SCORE!

I promise to share any and all information I recieve. :)

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”