IOWA 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Slimpee

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Slimpee » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:11 am

Just a note:

IF Nebraska bolts for the Big 10, and I really hope they do, and IF they play Iowa fall of 2012 I can guarantee i'll be the annoying guy cheering loudly for the visiting team.

I'm just saying...

Go Big Red!

Yacht_Party

Postby Yacht_Party » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:50 pm

And I will wear this:

--ImageRemoved--

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:00 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:And I will wear this:

--ImageRemoved--

Haha, well, you and your hate will both be on the losing side...

MoS

Postby MoS » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:25 pm

I think Nebraska will be too distracted by the corn fields around Iowa City to concentrate, and will lose. And even if they could concentrate, it's not like they are still a good team.

mshflyer

Postby mshflyer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:33 am

http://recserv.uiowa.edu/Apps/Facilities/CRWC.aspx

Have you guys seen the new student rec center? It looks like it's pretty close to the law building.
My new goal for next year is to read a case book while going down the Lazy River in a tube.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:14 am

mshflyer wrote:http://recserv.uiowa.edu/Apps/Facilities/CRWC.aspx

Have you guys seen the new student rec center? It looks like it's pretty close to the law building.
My new goal for next year is to read a case book while going down the Lazy River in a tube.

You've given me a new goal for my legal education.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:01 am

MoS wrote:I think Nebraska will be too distracted by the corn fields around Iowa City to concentrate, and will lose. And even if they could concentrate, it's not like they are still a good team.

You are aware that Lincoln, Nebraska ain't exactly the Rockies, aren't you?

I bet if NU played Iowa the final score would be something like 6-0 in favor of the Big Red...

MoS

Postby MoS » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:45 am

Slimpee wrote:
MoS wrote:I think Nebraska will be too distracted by the corn fields around Iowa City to concentrate, and will lose. And even if they could concentrate, it's not like they are still a good team.

You are aware that Lincoln, Nebraska ain't exactly the Rockies, aren't you?

I bet if NU played Iowa the final score would be something like 6-0 in favor of the Big Red...

It was a reference to them being Corn Huskers. It was a bad joke. And in full disclosure, I am from MO and went to Baylor. So I have to blame someone for what will happen to Baylor when the rest of the Big 12 falls, and being from MO I choose not to blame Mizzou, who really caused all of this. So it's Nebraska. Who would lose 20-10 to Iowa if they played this year.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:51 am

jaskat wrote:

I smell a bet...

Yacht_Party

Postby Yacht_Party » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:31 pm

MoS wrote:It was a reference to them being Corn Huskers. It was a bad joke. And in full disclosure, I am from MO and went to Baylor. So I have to blame someone for what will happen to Baylor when the rest of the Big 12 falls, and being from MO I choose not to blame Mizzou, who really caused all of this. So it's Nebraska. Who would lose 20-10 to Iowa if they played this year.

I heard somewhere that Texas is considering the Big Ten. Not sure what kind of truth (if any) is in that, but that'd be something, wouldn't it?

SDSC

Postby SDSC » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:26 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:
MoS wrote:It was a reference to them being Corn Huskers. It was a bad joke. And in full disclosure, I am from MO and went to Baylor. So I have to blame someone for what will happen to Baylor when the rest of the Big 12 falls, and being from MO I choose not to blame Mizzou, who really caused all of this. So it's Nebraska. Who would lose 20-10 to Iowa if they played this year.

I heard somewhere that Texas is considering the Big Ten. Not sure what kind of truth (if any) is in that, but that'd be something, wouldn't it?

The Texas to the Big10 rumor was started by a Kansas City news station. The source breaking most of the news, Orangebloods, announced that this was just a rumor and was news to UT. Nebraska is supposed to announce its movement to the Big10 today. Texas is supposed to announce the movement the Pac-10 on Tuesday(as long as A&M doesn't flake). Supposedly, the four moving schools(UT, OU, OSU,TT) are ready to go, but A&M is still considering the SEC.

Should be interesting, but I believe the Pac-10 and the MWC will be the winners when all the dust settles.

Also, I will be joining everyone in IC and look forward to meeting the new class.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:35 pm

Jerome wrote:
jaskat wrote:

I smell a bet...

A very expensive bet. Aside from the terms of any bet, if something happens to your tube, your hundred dollar book is ruined. yikes!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:49 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Don't know if you guys have seen these but uh... pretty sweet!

MoS

Postby MoS » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:38 pm

SDSC wrote:
Yacht_Party wrote:

The Texas to the Big10 rumor was started by a Kansas City news station. The source breaking most of the news, Orangebloods, announced that this was just a rumor and was news to UT. Nebraska is supposed to announce its movement to the Big10 today. Texas is supposed to announce the movement the Pac-10 on Tuesday(as long as A&M doesn't flake). Supposedly, the four moving schools(UT, OU, OSU,TT) are ready to go, but A&M is still considering the SEC.

Should be interesting, but I believe the Pac-10 and the MWC will be the winners when all the dust settles.

Also, I will be joining everyone in IC and look forward to meeting the new class.

I half think the people of Texas are big ego-ed enough that they won't go to the pac-10 just to spite Colorado doing it so quickly, and probably sneakily. I doubt Big-10, and A&M won't go anywhere UT doesn't, because the oil money they share with UT will get thrown around as a way to persuade them, and with Baylor alum already upset, it would only take a small amount of additional upset people to make taking the oil money away from A&M a real possibility.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:54 pm

I'm checking out apartments and other things tomorrow in Iowa City. Unfortunately Seville is sold out for 1-bedrooms, but it looks like Oakcrest St. has some nice places. If anybody has any questions about something they want checked out, let me know, and I'll see what I can learn.

Yacht_Party

Postby Yacht_Party » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:00 pm

^ would also like to add that I'm 99.9% sure that Seville is out of 2 bedrooms as well.

bemidiji41

Postby bemidiji41 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:14 pm

Has anyone filed online for the gradplus loan yet or are we supposed to wait until July 1st? I just tried to submit the application but the site rejected it, saying that the University of Iowa wasn't accepting applications for 2010-2011 at this time. Anyone?

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:44 pm

bemidiji41 wrote:Has anyone filed online for the gradplus loan yet or are we supposed to wait until July 1st? I just tried to submit the application but the site rejected it, saying that the University of Iowa wasn't accepting applications for 2010-2011 at this time. Anyone?

Yeah that happened to me when I tried to apply so I called them only to be told that as soon as you send them the MPN they do the rest and send you a decision about two weeks after they receive said MPN. In fact I got my decision yesterday via snail mail. I'm kind of glad that they take care of the rest after all he counseling and MPN crap you have to do.

dt22

Postby dt22 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:24 pm

jaskat wrote:
bemidiji41 wrote:Has anyone filed online for the gradplus loan yet or are we supposed to wait until July 1st? I just tried to submit the application but the site rejected it, saying that the University of Iowa wasn't accepting applications for 2010-2011 at this time. Anyone?

Yeah that happened to me when I tried to apply so I called them only to be told that as soon as you send them the MPN they do the rest and send you a decision about two weeks after they receive said MPN. In fact I got my decision yesterday via snail mail. I'm kind of glad that they take care of the rest after all he counseling and MPN crap you have to do.

ok ya, i really don't think we have to do much at all: submitted fin aid stuff to iowa, iowa sent MPnotes, you fill them out & send them back, do any missing counseling online, that gets submitted to your school of choice....done.
are we all on the same page or am i off?

MoS

Postby MoS » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:48 pm

I was able to to my MPN online.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:14 pm

dt22 wrote:
jaskat wrote:

ok ya, i really don't think we have to do much at all: submitted fin aid stuff to iowa, iowa sent MPnotes, you fill them out & send them back, do any missing counseling online, that gets submitted to your school of choice....done.
are we all on the same page or am i off?

^Basically this.

sques001

Postby sques001 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Hello everyone!!.. I'm also going to be attending Iowa in the fall if none of my WLs come through.. I've researched the school and it seems great, the only problem I have is the cold since I'm from Miami.. I've been looking for apartments and found some pretty nice furnished ones just a couple of miles from the school and they also pair you up with roomates if you want.. I think it is much cheaper getting a 2/2 with a roomate than a studio, but thats juts my 2 cents.. If you want the name of the places you can message me..

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:48 pm

sques001 wrote:Hello everyone!!.. I'm also going to be attending Iowa in the fall if none of my WLs come through.. I've researched the school and it seems great, the only problem I have is the cold since I'm from Miami.. I've been looking for apartments and found some pretty nice furnished ones just a couple of miles from the school and they also pair you up with roomates if you want.. I think it is much cheaper getting a 2/2 with a roomate than a studio, but thats juts my 2 cents.. If you want the name of the places you can message me..

Hey, we meet again! Maybe we'll be classmates at Iowa or get into MN!

MoS

Postby MoS » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:02 pm

sques001 wrote:Hello everyone!!.. I'm also going to be attending Iowa in the fall if none of my WLs come through.. I've researched the school and it seems great, the only problem I have is the cold since I'm from Miami.. I've been looking for apartments and found some pretty nice furnished ones just a couple of miles from the school and they also pair you up with roomates if you want.. I think it is much cheaper getting a 2/2 with a roomate than a studio, but thats juts my 2 cents.. If you want the name of the places you can message me..

Are they at the Lodge? I have read a lot of bad things about their apartments. Though, I haven't heard anything about about how people in the Grad building like it.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:58 pm

MoS wrote:

Are they at the Lodge? I have read a lot of bad things about their apartments. Though, I haven't heard anything about about how people in the Grad building like it.

In case it IS The Lodge, MoS's suspicions are probably true. I checked them out during one of my visits and they are overpriced for what you get. They feel like a dorm. All the "amenities" are pretty crappy, too.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”