IOWA 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby JOThompson » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:07 pm

dt22 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:
dt22 wrote:Saw some people talking about the best buy acer monitor deal....are y'all purchasing ALL computer stuff (including new laptops) now or are you waiting to get the laptop itself after we can get the $2K once school starts? Can we get it now and get a refund later? Also, can the other stuff like monitors (yes, I want 2 hehe), docking station, etc. be counted in that $2K?


What 2k are you talking about?


additional student loan funding up to 2K is allowed for laptop purchases...oh and i just answered my own questions:

Computer purchase. A computer may be purchased through an outside vendor or
from a UI selected vendor. For information on UI selected vendors visit
http://www.its.uiowa.edu/cs/helpdesk/demo/ or call 319-384-4357.
 Students initiate the process to include computer costs in the cost of
attendance. Eligible computer costs include the cost of the computer, 17”
monitor, printer, handheld, surge protector, connecting cables, word
processing software (Microsoft Office or equivalent) and anti-virus software.
 Costs will only be allowed if either a purchase invoice or a purchase receipt
supports them.
 The maximum amount that we will allow is $2,000.
 Only one computer may be added to your student loan eligibility as a law
student.
 First year students are allowed to include the cost of computers purchased on
or after June 1st of their entering academic year.
 Requests to include computer costs must be made prior to the last day for
downward tuition and fee adjustments of the student’s financial semester at
the University of Iowa. Complete the computer adjustment form available
on the UI COL website.

I asked the financial aid office about this awhile back. We can only request funds at the beginning of the semester, not during the summer, FYI.

User avatar
mshflyer
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:40 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby mshflyer » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:38 am

JOThompson wrote:
dt22 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:
dt22 wrote:Saw some people talking about the best buy acer monitor deal....are y'all purchasing ALL computer stuff (including new laptops) now or are you waiting to get the laptop itself after we can get the $2K once school starts? Can we get it now and get a refund later? Also, can the other stuff like monitors (yes, I want 2 hehe), docking station, etc. be counted in that $2K?


What 2k are you talking about?


additional student loan funding up to 2K is allowed for laptop purchases...oh and i just answered my own questions:

Computer purchase. A computer may be purchased through an outside vendor or
from a UI selected vendor. For information on UI selected vendors visit
http://www.its.uiowa.edu/cs/helpdesk/demo/ or call 319-384-4357.
 Students initiate the process to include computer costs in the cost of
attendance. Eligible computer costs include the cost of the computer, 17”
monitor, printer, handheld, surge protector, connecting cables, word
processing software (Microsoft Office or equivalent) and anti-virus software.
 Costs will only be allowed if either a purchase invoice or a purchase receipt
supports them.
 The maximum amount that we will allow is $2,000.
 Only one computer may be added to your student loan eligibility as a law
student.
 First year students are allowed to include the cost of computers purchased on
or after June 1st of their entering academic year.
 Requests to include computer costs must be made prior to the last day for
downward tuition and fee adjustments of the student’s financial semester at
the University of Iowa. Complete the computer adjustment form available
on the UI COL website.

I asked the financial aid office about this awhile back. We can only request funds at the beginning of the semester, not during the summer, FYI.



I was thinking about waiting to get the financial aid refund, then buying a computer, then requesting the additional funds using the store receipts because I am completely broke right now. Does this sound feasible?

User avatar
thepcv
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby thepcv » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:42 am

mshflyer wrote:I was thinking about waiting to get the financial aid refund, then buying a computer, then requesting the additional funds using the store receipts because I am completely broke right now. Does this sound feasible?

Sounds feasible to me.

On the topic of computers, of those who are planning on buying a new computer, what are you thinking of getting? Currently, I have a mac, and really, I'm just wondering if I should get another mac (because, yes, they're awesome--just a little pricey), or something more "affordable."

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby JOThompson » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:43 am

thepcv wrote:
mshflyer wrote:I was thinking about waiting to get the financial aid refund, then buying a computer, then requesting the additional funds using the store receipts because I am completely broke right now. Does this sound feasible?

Sounds feasible to me.

On the topic of computers, of those who are planning on buying a new computer, what are you thinking of getting? Currently, I have a mac, and really, I'm just wondering if I should get another mac (because, yes, they're awesome--just a little pricey), or something more "affordable."


mshflyer: That's my plan too.

thepcv: I'm looking at a Macbook Pro now. While I'm a PC user at heart and have zero experience with Macs, I'd like a sturdy and dependable computer for the next few years. To me, it's worth paying an extra few hundred dollars for the peace of mind that Mac reliability brings. I won't lie, the free iPod with an online Mac purchase is also pretty darn tempting.

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby jaskat » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:05 pm

JOThompson wrote:
thepcv wrote:
mshflyer wrote:I was thinking about waiting to get the financial aid refund, then buying a computer, then requesting the additional funds using the store receipts because I am completely broke right now. Does this sound feasible?

Sounds feasible to me.

On the topic of computers, of those who are planning on buying a new computer, what are you thinking of getting? Currently, I have a mac, and really, I'm just wondering if I should get another mac (because, yes, they're awesome--just a little pricey), or something more "affordable."


mshflyer: That's my plan too.

thepcv: I'm looking at a Macbook Pro now. While I'm a PC user at heart and have zero experience with Macs, I'd like a sturdy and dependable computer for the next few years. To me, it's worth paying an extra few hundred dollars for the peace of mind that Mac reliability brings. I won't lie, the free iPod with an online Mac purchase is also pretty darn tempting.


The Free ipod nano only lasts until September, fyi.

theghostofDrewTate
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:43 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby theghostofDrewTate » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:10 pm

When I was at Iowa, they were just rolling out laptop exam software but it didn't work on Macs - maybe it's been addressed in this thread, but you should confirm that the software works on Macs.

In other news, did you dudes see Jordan Bernstine and Jewel Hampton got arrested the other day? That ain't good, they'll each get suspended a game, but they were both injured last year and we needed them to get some PT before they get into the meat of the season.

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby jaskat » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:13 am

Does anyone know how long orientation is, and how many hours a day we have orientation for? Is it all day long or just a couple of hours a day?

User avatar
Yacht_Party
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Yacht_Party » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:51 pm

I think it's almost all day, and fairly intensive.

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:57 am

Is anyone else looking at buying a house or condo? If you don't have a quarter-mil to spend (and I don't), it looks like your options are either getting a condo fairly close (biking distance) to the law school or getting a house further out (definitely not biking distance). I'm wondering which neighborhoods around the town might be decent and affordable, or what condos near the law school are nice and quieter (e.g. not undergrad party centers).

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby JOThompson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:47 am

sebastian0622 wrote:Is anyone else looking at buying a house or condo? If you don't have a quarter-mil to spend (and I don't), it looks like your options are either getting a condo fairly close (biking distance) to the law school or getting a house further out (definitely not biking distance). I'm wondering which neighborhoods around the town might be decent and affordable, or what condos near the law school are nice and quieter (e.g. not undergrad party centers).

I considered getting a condo when it looked like I'd be attending UMN, because I could see myself living in the Twin Cities permanently. I didn't think it'd be worthwhile to buy a condo or small house for three years in Iowa City though, especially since there's not much of a legal market. Of course, I'm also single and without many personal belongings so my requirements for living are pretty minimal.

theghostofDrewTate
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:43 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby theghostofDrewTate » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:13 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:Is anyone else looking at buying a house or condo? If you don't have a quarter-mil to spend (and I don't), it looks like your options are either getting a condo fairly close (biking distance) to the law school or getting a house further out (definitely not biking distance). I'm wondering which neighborhoods around the town might be decent and affordable, or what condos near the law school are nice and quieter (e.g. not undergrad party centers).


My buddy bought a place over on Woodside Drive just across the train tracks from Kinnick. He sold it after LS and made a decent chunk of change. We looked into buying one together to have a place to park and crash in for FB games, but the problem is that the prices on them are ridiculous now. I'd look over that way, plus I think there are some condos on Oakcrest that are decent. Nothing on Oakcrest or Woodside is going to have a lot of undergrads, but Woodside is very loud on football Saturdays. The crappy real estate market hasn't really hit IC pricing though, because it never really ran up and the economy there is still decent.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:25 pm

Just received a packet with information regarding orientation, financial aid, and a nice letter from Dean Jones. This does confirm that the orientation week is "intense" as someone mentioned a few days ago. It is Sunday, August 15 - Monday, August 23 with sessions scheduled from approximately 8:00am to 4:00 or 4:30pm each day, except Friday afternoon. The program includes the eight session, one-credit course, Introduction to law and Legal Reasoning (I was wondering what this was exactly, so I guess this clears that up).

There is also a bit about preparing for the start of law school, and that is requires intense periods of sustained effort, etc. They suggest reading through the E&E's/hornbooks relating to first semester subjects (Contracts, Property, and Torts), as well as reading Getting to Maybe, Law School Confidential, and the Bluebook.




... just kidding. :P

They suggest getting your living situation worked out at least two weeks before orientation though.

User avatar
dt22
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby dt22 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:02 pm

ha u got me

User avatar
mshflyer
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:40 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby mshflyer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:08 pm

traehekat wrote:Just received a packet with information regarding orientation, financial aid, and a nice letter from Dean Jones. This does confirm that the orientation week is "intense" as someone mentioned a few days ago. It is Sunday, August 15 - Monday, August 23 with sessions scheduled from approximately 8:00am to 4:00 or 4:30pm each day, except Friday afternoon. The program includes the eight session, one-credit course, Introduction to law and Legal Reasoning (I was wondering what this was exactly, so I guess this clears that up).

There is also a bit about preparing for the start of law school, and that is requires intense periods of sustained effort, etc. They suggest reading through the E&E's/hornbooks relating to first semester subjects (Contracts, Property, and Torts), as well as reading Getting to Maybe, Law School Confidential, and the Bluebook.




... just kidding. :P

They suggest getting your living situation worked out at least two weeks before orientation though.


not gonna lie. that second paragraph freaked me out haha

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Jerome » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:16 pm

traehekat wrote:They suggest reading through [...] the Bluebook.


Alternatively, you can bang your head against a wall for an hour.

Andrew the Wolverine
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:17 pm

traehekat wrote:Just received a packet with information regarding orientation, financial aid, and a nice letter from Dean Jones. This does confirm that the orientation week is "intense" as someone mentioned a few days ago. It is Sunday, August 15 - Monday, August 23 with sessions scheduled from approximately 8:00am to 4:00 or 4:30pm each day, except Friday afternoon. The program includes the eight session, one-credit course, Introduction to law and Legal Reasoning (I was wondering what this was exactly, so I guess this clears that up).

There is also a bit about preparing for the start of law school, and that is requires intense periods of sustained effort, etc. They suggest reading through the E&E's/hornbooks relating to first semester subjects (Contracts, Property, and Torts), as well as reading Getting to Maybe, Law School Confidential, and the Bluebook.




... just kidding. :P

They suggest getting your living situation worked out at least two weeks before orientation though.



How long ago did you officially commit to Iowa? I'm seriously considering doing that very soon, and I'll be waiting for this orientation packet you mentioned. How long after you committed did they send it to you?

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Slimpee » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:20 pm

mshflyer wrote:
traehekat wrote:
There is also a bit about preparing for the start of law school, and that is requires intense periods of sustained effort, etc. They suggest reading through the E&E's/hornbooks relating to first semester subjects (Contracts, Property, and Torts), as well as reading Getting to Maybe, Law School Confidential, and the Bluebook.


I'm not gonna lie. that second paragraph freaked me out haha


So, who's prepping? Don't lie. I read PLS II and don't recommend reading the entire book. It's long and full of disdain for law professors. I mean, how can you fill up 800 pages with prof-bashing?!?

I also ordered Getting to Maybe.

(I have a job that, for the past month or so and for the next month, give me a lot of time to read)

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby MoS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:30 pm

Slimpee wrote:
mshflyer wrote:
traehekat wrote:
There is also a bit about preparing for the start of law school, and that is requires intense periods of sustained effort, etc. They suggest reading through the E&E's/hornbooks relating to first semester subjects (Contracts, Property, and Torts), as well as reading Getting to Maybe, Law School Confidential, and the Bluebook.


I'm not gonna lie. that second paragraph freaked me out haha


So, who's prepping? Don't lie. I read PLS II and don't recommend reading the entire book. It's long and full of disdain for law professors. I mean, how can you fill up 800 pages with prof-bashing?!?

I also ordered Getting to Maybe.

(I have a job that, for the past month or so and for the next month, give me a lot of time to read)

I plan on reading getting to maybe. I read "Logic for Lawyers" its interesting, but is just applied logic. If you don't feel comfortable with your logic skills I would recommend reading it. But if you think your good from LSAT and classes, then I wouldn't bother. I am just trying to keep my Non-fiction reading up so that I get hit the face with the the law school bat.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:51 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:How long ago did you officially commit to Iowa? I'm seriously considering doing that very soon, and I'll be waiting for this orientation packet you mentioned. How long after you committed did they send it to you?


It actually came with a postcard that needed to be quickly filled out to indicate you are still planning on attending and mailed in (as if both seat deposits weren't enough). So I don't know if they consider me "officially committed," but I paid the second deposit a few weeks ago, which I thought that was indication of.

They also mentioned a second packet, containing our professors, class schedule, and more information on orientation will be mailed out later in July.

Slimpee wrote:So, who's prepping? Don't lie. I read PLS II and don't recommend reading the entire book. It's long and full of disdain for law professors. I mean, how can you fill up 800 pages with prof-bashing?!?

I also ordered Getting to Maybe.

(I have a job that, for the past month or so and for the next month, give me a lot of time to read)


I'm not working this summer so I have plenty of time to both relax and prep. I just finished GTM, which was fantastic and I highly recommend. PLS has some good information buried within chapter after chapter of bitterness, but nothing mind blowing so I don't really suggest it. Law School Confidential was a great overview of your first year, plus years two and three. Probably the most practical book, IMO. I'm going through Delaney's How To Do Your Best On Law School Exams right now and I have my copy of LEEWS to work through before summer is over. I also ordered some supplements from Amazon since they are cheap and I figured they couldn't hurt to have, but I doubt I'll take much of a look at them before the semester starts (plus most people say substantive prep is useless).

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Slimpee » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:02 pm

traehekat wrote:I'm not working this summer so I have plenty of time to both relax and prep. I just finished GTM, which was fantastic and I highly recommend. PLS has some good information buried within chapter after chapter of bitterness, but nothing mind blowing so I don't really suggest it. Law School Confidential was a great overview of your first year, plus years two and three. Probably the most practical book, IMO. I'm going through Delaney's How To Do Your Best On Law School Exams right now and I have my copy of LEEWS to work through before summer is over. I also ordered some supplements from Amazon since they are cheap and I figured they couldn't hurt to have, but I doubt I'll take much of a look at them before the semester starts (plus most people say substantive prep is useless).


Ha! You fell right into my "Gunner Identification Trap". Let the shunning commence!

(also, wanna be in my study group :D )

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:10 pm

Slimpee wrote:
traehekat wrote:I'm not working this summer so I have plenty of time to both relax and prep. I just finished GTM, which was fantastic and I highly recommend. PLS has some good information buried within chapter after chapter of bitterness, but nothing mind blowing so I don't really suggest it. Law School Confidential was a great overview of your first year, plus years two and three. Probably the most practical book, IMO. I'm going through Delaney's How To Do Your Best On Law School Exams right now and I have my copy of LEEWS to work through before summer is over. I also ordered some supplements from Amazon since they are cheap and I figured they couldn't hurt to have, but I doubt I'll take much of a look at them before the semester starts (plus most people say substantive prep is useless).


Ha! You fell right into my "Gunner Identification Trap". Let the shunning commence!

(also, wanna be in my study group :D )


Damnit, it was so obvious too!

If you want to be in my study group, you will have to submit to me a resume, including your transcript and LSAT score.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby MoS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:21 pm

On a side not here, if any of you haven't receive and award letter yet and its been a few weeks since they had all your information, you might want to call. There seems to be a slight rift between the College of Law's financial aid office and the University's financial aid office. Both told me they had sent the other the info and my award should have been done. Apparently it got lost somewhere. And if you haven't checked your ISIS award info out you might just do that as a precautionary move.

PS. Has anyone seen The Paper Chase. I felt this was essential prep work to be done. And I will tell you this the word "pimp" get thrown around allot. Traehekat, you might just be classified as pimp by Paper Chase standards.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:00 pm

MoS wrote:PS. Has anyone seen The Paper Chase. I felt this was essential prep work to be done. And I will tell you this the word "pimp" get thrown around allot. Traehekat, you might just be classified as pimp by Paper Chase standards.


There is one scene where I think the word "pimp" is said like 7 times within 2 minutes.

I like to think of myself as a pimp more along the lines of this guy's standards.

Image

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby MoS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:22 pm

traehekat wrote:
MoS wrote:PS. Has anyone seen The Paper Chase. I felt this was essential prep work to be done. And I will tell you this the word "pimp" get thrown around allot. Traehekat, you might just be classified as pimp by Paper Chase standards.


There is one scene where I think the word "pimp" is said like 7 times within 2 minutes.

I like to think of myself as a pimp more along the lines of this guy's standards.

Image


Magic Juan is definitely a pimp of a different class.

User avatar
Yacht_Party
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Yacht_Party » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:21 pm

I liked that guy's 200+ page "outline"




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest