IOWA 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
sebastian0622

Bronze

Re: IOWA 2013

Post by sebastian0622 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:33 pm

What about Benton Villa? Same deal?

What complex near the law school has the nicest, largest apts?

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:37 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:What about Benton Villa? Same deal?

What complex near the law school has the nicest, largest apts?

largest out of benton villa, seville & hillsboro is benton villa. nicest - depends on what you're looking for; they're certainly the most expensive out of the 3.

mshflyer

New

Post by mshflyer » Thu May 27, 2010 4:25 pm

I just paid the second payment to iowa and sent in my housing deposit for the fall! Can't wait to meet you all in a few months!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu May 27, 2010 4:52 pm

mshflyer wrote:I just paid the second payment to iowa and sent in my housing deposit for the fall! Can't wait to meet you all in a few months!
Congrats! Sweet feeling knowing exactly where you are going and where you will be living. I'm working on furniture/laptop shopping right now. Anyone know any good deals going on?

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Thu May 27, 2010 5:03 pm

traehekat wrote:Congrats! Sweet feeling knowing exactly where you are going and where you will be living. I'm working on furniture/laptop shopping right now. Anyone know any good deals going on?
Walmart is the credited response 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:38 pm

for the immunization form, how do we know if we've have both MMR vaccinations? is that a stupid question? i haven't had regular physicians and wonder how i'd prove those vaccinations.
?

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Thu May 27, 2010 7:25 pm

dt22 wrote:for the immunization form, how do we know if we've have both MMR vaccinations? is that a stupid question? i haven't had regular physicians and wonder how i'd prove those vaccinations.
?
What I kind of gathered from that form is that if you don't have the documentation/a doctor to sign off on it, you're just gonna have to get the MMR vaccination again at the university. Luckily, it's a cheap vaccination, and there are no problems having it above and beyond twice (I had to get it again for Peace Corps because of the same reason--didn't have the documentation from when I was a kid).

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Thu May 27, 2010 7:34 pm

traehekat wrote:
mshflyer wrote:I just paid the second payment to iowa and sent in my housing deposit for the fall! Can't wait to meet you all in a few months!
Congrats! Sweet feeling knowing exactly where you are going and where you will be living. I'm working on furniture/laptop shopping right now. Anyone know any good deals going on?
Walmart, Target, Craigslist are all good places to start. Personally, I usually go to either BestBuy, The Apple Store, or a Sony Store for electronics, though.

I can't wait to meet everyone, either! Of course, I probably won't be able to be in town until just before orientation (hoping to be able to move in on the 12th).

No idea of any specials. Once I get back to the US, I'm gonna have to do some pretty hectic shopping for things (like... a bed, maybe a desk, a TV, hopefully a new laptop, clothing, cell phone...pretty much everything, really...), too.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu May 27, 2010 7:46 pm

thepcv wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Walmart, Target, Craigslist are all good places to start. Personally, I usually go to either BestBuy, The Apple Store, or a Sony Store for electronics, though.

I can't wait to meet everyone, either! Of course, I probably won't be able to be in town until just before orientation (hoping to be able to move in on the 12th).

No idea of any specials. Once I get back to the US, I'm gonna have to do some pretty hectic shopping for things (like... a bed, maybe a desk, a TV, hopefully a new laptop, clothing, cell phone...pretty much everything, really...), too.
Yeah, there is a lot I have to buy, too. I'm looking at a new bed frame, mattress, chest, desk, desk chair, couch, chair, dining table and chairs, coffee table and end tables, etc. Probably going to cost about $2,000, which is frightening.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Thu May 27, 2010 7:47 pm

Tax deductible, perhaps.

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:07 pm

thepcv wrote:
dt22 wrote:for the immunization form, how do we know if we've have both MMR vaccinations? is that a stupid question? i haven't had regular physicians and wonder how i'd prove those vaccinations.
?
What I kind of gathered from that form is that if you don't have the documentation/a doctor to sign off on it, you're just gonna have to get the MMR vaccination again at the university. Luckily, it's a cheap vaccination, and there are no problems having it above and beyond twice (I had to get it again for Peace Corps because of the same reason--didn't have the documentation from when I was a kid).
ok you just answered all my questions. thank you!

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:19 am

I am going to be downsizing to move into an apt in Iowa City (I am a homeowner right now), so once I find out what furniture I have to sell, I'll let you all know. I'm going that way anyway, so I could haul it in and drop it off wherever you live.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Sat May 29, 2010 3:19 pm

http://www.law.uiowa.edu/prospective/pr ... ubbard.php It seems a bit unfair this is only offered to certain groups.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Sat May 29, 2010 3:37 pm

MoS wrote:http://www.law.uiowa.edu/prospective/pr ... ubbard.php It seems a bit unfair this is only offered to certain groups.

"Only students who will still be enrolled in undergraduate studies in Fall 20xx are eligible for this program"
"Racial / ethnic/ tribal affiliation information (optional)"

at first i agreed, but it seems like anyone can apply. i think diversity can be expressed in many ways other than race, and hopefully the ad comm would acknowledge that.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Sat May 29, 2010 4:18 pm

Well its only open to those who are still enrolled in 20xx. That is just another restriction it doesn't really leaving anything open, and I saw that on the app that racial info is optional, so I guess you could just decide if it was applicable to yourself, but its states on the page that is it for historically underrepresented groups in law school. White male doesn't exactly fit that profile. But there is a reason for the program, I was just more shocked when I stumbled upon it and I hadn't read anything about it before.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat May 29, 2010 5:43 pm

MoS wrote:Well its only open to those who are still enrolled in 20xx. That is just another restriction it doesn't really leaving anything open, and I saw that on the app that racial info is optional, so I guess you could just decide if it was applicable to yourself, but its states on the page that is it for historically underrepresented groups in law school. White male doesn't exactly fit that profile. But there is a reason for the program, I was just more shocked when I stumbled upon it and I hadn't read anything about it before.
I don't even really get what it is. Is it like a prep or introduction program to law school for historically underrepresented groups, assuming these groups may need like, additional assistance or something because maybe they haven't been exposed to the law as much as other groups? I'm kinda lost. Apparently it is "intensive" though?

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Mon May 31, 2010 5:57 pm

http://its.uiowa.edu/apps2/support/article/140

Local Internet Service Providers in the Iowa City Area

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:59 pm

When again can we get football tickets?

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:12 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:When again can we get football tickets?
During orientation week.

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:31 pm

That sucks, I won't have any money by then.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:12 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:That sucks, I won't have any money by then.
Credit card! I don't have much money either and there are quite a few things I need to buy for the apartment, so I am just using a credit card then paying it all off right away with the refund check.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:42 pm

traehekat wrote:
Credit card! I don't have much money either and there are quite a few things I need to buy for the apartment, so I am just using a credit card then paying it all off right away with the refund check.
I was thinking more along the lines of this

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:03 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:
traehekat wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of this
Well, that's pretty much where my source of income for the summer is coming from. You play poker or are you just going to put it all on red?

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Poker (it's not really gambling :wink: ). You too?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:45 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:Poker (it's not really gambling :wink: ). You too?
Yeah, I play online. I stick to no limit heads up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”