IOWA 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
traehekat

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Tue May 11, 2010 12:01 pm

MoS wrote:Does anyone think there is a benefit to doing one of their special programs (International and Comparative Law or Innovation, Business, and Law Program)?

I guess it depends on what kind of benefit you are looking for. I've only looked at the Innovation, Business, and Law Program, which has two focuses within it (IP and Competition Law/Corporate and Securities Law), and it seems like there is a nice variety of interesting classes and seminars and the program seems laid out well.

If this is something that just interests you, or if it is the area of law you want your career to focus on, then I think it is definitely beneficial (for your knowledge). As far as whether or not it helps you get a job or enhances your job prospects or anything, I'm not sure. I mean, my understanding in regards to what classes you actually take as a law students is that you can go a number of different ways (specialization, general overview, based on professors, etc.) and it really doesn't matter too much. You just kind of take whatever interests you.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue May 11, 2010 12:04 pm

traehekat wrote:
MoS wrote:Does anyone think there is a benefit to doing one of their special programs (International and Comparative Law or Innovation, Business, and Law Program)?

I guess it depends on what kind of benefit you are looking for. I've only looked at the Innovation, Business, and Law Program, which has two focuses within it (IP and Competition Law/Corporate and Securities Law), and it seems like there is a nice variety of interesting classes and seminars and the program seems laid out well.

If this is something that just interests you, or if it is the area of law you want your career to focus on, then I think it is definitely beneficial (for your knowledge). As far as whether or not it helps you get a job or enhances your job prospects or anything, I'm not sure. I mean, my understanding in regards to what classes you actually take as a law students is that you can go a number of different ways (specialization, general overview, based on professors, etc.) and it really doesn't matter too much. You just kind of take whatever interests you.

+1. I don't see any real reason, aside from personal interest, to go. I doubt very much that it will help you get a job.

Yacht_Party

Postby Yacht_Party » Tue May 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Jerome wrote:I doubt very much that it will help you get a job.

This. Especially with international and comparative law. Such jobs are very few and extremely competitive.

elizaD

Postby elizaD » Tue May 11, 2010 1:11 pm

dt22 wrote:also, is anyone considering the france program right after 1L?

I would love to participate in this program! A friend of mine is a 2L at Iowa; she had really good things to say about her experience in France last summer.

My only concern is $

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Tue May 11, 2010 3:49 pm

dt22 wrote:ok guys, who cares.
new topic?

i have to get my widsom teeth out - now that's worth a discussion.
not really, but I'm terrified.

also, is anyone considering the france program right after 1L?

Getting your wisdom teeth removed isn't too bad. I had all 4 taken out in one go a few years back (2 of which were impacted). Yeah, your mouth'll be sore for a little while, but I kind of remember healing relatively quick.

In terms of France. I'm certainly interested in the program (especially since it looks like I won't be allowed to do a semester abroad). But as has already been mentioned here, the $ is a concern. I mean, spend the summer in France or try to get a summer legal job and earn cash/experience...

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue May 11, 2010 4:03 pm

thepcv wrote:
new topic?

Getting your wisdom teeth removed isn't too bad. I had all 4 taken out in one go a few years back (2 of which were impacted). Yeah, your mouth'll be sore for a little while, but I kind of remember healing relatively quick.

+1. I had all four removed, and I wasn't even knocked out for it. My mouth was barely sore, although it was kind of a pain cause there are some foods you can't eat for a while.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Tue May 11, 2010 5:28 pm

thepcv wrote:
new topic?

In terms of France. I'm certainly interested in the program (especially since it looks like I won't be allowed to do a semester abroad). But as has already been mentioned here, the $ is a concern. I mean, spend the summer in France or try to get a summer legal job and earn cash/experience...

There's no way of combining both the internship and the trip?

dt22

Postby dt22 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:42 pm

jaskat wrote:
thepcv wrote:
new topic?

This. Maybe Im naive, but what prevents us from spending from mid-May to Mid-June in France and starting a shorter internship at the end of June? I think the quantity of options will be much smaller, but I think it's doable. It'd be good to know what past participants have done.

dt22

Postby dt22 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:43 pm

traehekat wrote:
thepcv wrote:
new topic?

+1. I had all four removed, and I wasn't even knocked out for it. My mouth was barely sore, although it was kind of a pain cause there are some foods you can't eat for a while.

um say whaaaat. not this girl. bring on the la-la land.

dt22

Postby dt22 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:44 pm

elizaD wrote:
dt22 wrote:also, is anyone considering the france program right after 1L?

I would love to participate in this program! A friend of mine is a 2L at Iowa; she had really good things to say about her experience in France last summer.

My only concern is $

what did she do after she came back? (aka got a legal job?)

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed May 12, 2010 12:57 pm

dt22 wrote:
traehekat wrote:+1. I had all four removed, and I wasn't even knocked out for it. My mouth was barely sore, although it was kind of a pain cause there are some foods you can't eat for a while.

um say whaaaat. not this girl. bring on the la-la land.

It was a little strange. I couldn't feel anything, but I could hear the the crunching and cracking of them being removed. There was definitely some blood, too...

Not to scare you or anything. :D

crystalhawkeye

Postby crystalhawkeye » Wed May 12, 2010 1:00 pm

dt22 wrote:
jaskat wrote:
thepcv wrote:
new topic?

This. Maybe Im naive, but what prevents us from spending from mid-May to Mid-June in France and starting a shorter internship at the end of June? I think the quantity of options will be much smaller, but I think it's doable. It'd be good to know what past participants have done.

Rising 2L in Iowa, here. Although I'm not doing the Archacon trip, a lot of people I know are. And most of them will be working when they get back. I don't know all the details, but basically, there are couple different points when people are returning - either after just Egypt/France or after an extended stay in Israel/Palestine. For the last month/month and a half, most people I know are going to be working for a judge or somewhere else. So yes, it is possible, and probably in your best interest, to do both.

mshflyer

Postby mshflyer » Fri May 14, 2010 12:47 am

I heard there was a lake where you could rent boats and hang out like 10 mintues north of Iowa City? If so, would anybody be up for having an end of summer/beginning of ls gathering there a day or two before orientation? We could meet each other and hopefully enjoy our last moments of freedom together :)

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri May 14, 2010 12:51 am

mshflyer wrote:I heard there was a lake where you could rent boats and hang out like 10 mintues north of Iowa City? If so, would anybody be up for having an end of summer/beginning of ls gathering there a day or two before orientation? We could meet each other and hopefully enjoy our last moments of freedom together :)

Sounds like a good time, I'm down. Either way, we have to do a TLS meetup some time for sure.

elizaD

Postby elizaD » Fri May 14, 2010 10:28 am

I'm headed up to IC the last weekend in May to look for housing. I'm shooting for a 2-3 bedroom apt as close as possible to the law school. I will probably be posting on the housing list for roommate(s) shortly thereafter. If anyone here is interested, pm me!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri May 14, 2010 12:27 pm

I'll be in Iowa City with one of my friends on Wednesday if anyone is already out there and wants to get together for lunch or something.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri May 14, 2010 12:30 pm

elizaD wrote:I'm headed up to IC the last weekend in May to look for housing. I'm shooting for a 2-3 bedroom apt as close as possible to the law school. I will probably be posting on the housing list for roommate(s) shortly thereafter. If anyone here is interested, pm me!

If you don't find enough potential roommates here, check out the list published by the school.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri May 14, 2010 12:39 pm

I'm diggin' the tar, JO.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri May 14, 2010 12:42 pm

traehekat wrote:I'm diggin' the tar, JO.

Not going to lie, you inspired my new 'tar. :)

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri May 14, 2010 12:48 pm

JOThompson wrote:

School spirit - shit's contagious!

In other news, I have quite an interesting set of tabs open on Google Chrome. Let me break it down for you...

Gmail, YouTube video of the Elmo Splish Splash song, TLS, Facebook, Pirate Quotes, Political Science Student Handbook, and About.com's explanation of conscious versus conscience.

Just thought y'all should know.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri May 14, 2010 1:11 pm

traehekat wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

School spirit - shit's contagious!

In other news, I have quite an interesting set of tabs open on Google Chrome. Let me break it down for you...

Gmail, YouTube video of the Elmo Splish Splash song, TLS, Facebook, Pirate Quotes, Political Science Student Handbook, and About.com's explanation of conscious versus conscience.

Just thought y'all should know.

Elmo Splish Splash must be interesting. Being a ninja fan, I'm almost apalled by the pirate quotes though.

dt22

Postby dt22 » Fri May 14, 2010 4:15 pm

and i'd like you all to know that i just got pooped on by a bird....not kidding. what a great ending to the work week.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Fri May 14, 2010 4:26 pm

dt22 wrote:and i'd like you all to know that i just got pooped on by a bird....not kidding. what a great ending to the work week.

Isn't that supposed to mean good luck ahead or something? So cheer up, and put on a happy face! (I totally wasn't singing that mentally....noooo >.>)

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri May 14, 2010 4:29 pm

dt22 wrote:and i'd like you all to know that i just got pooped on by a bird....not kidding. what a great ending to the work week.

It certainly seems to be raining shit on you this week.

dt22

Postby dt22 » Fri May 14, 2010 5:30 pm

ha i think it means you'll be wealthy....read: money for wisdom teeth. it all makes sense.

HAPPY FRIDAY

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”