IOWA 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Yacht_Party

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Yacht_Party » Fri May 07, 2010 3:01 pm

haha yeah I meant the apartment. Thanks. "No pets" policy at Seville, right?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri May 07, 2010 3:29 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:haha yeah I meant the apartment. Thanks. "No pets" policy at Seville, right?

I believe so. What kind of pet do you have?

nole32304

Postby nole32304 » Sat May 08, 2010 7:09 pm

Think I will be moving in that first week of August. I'm coming up from Orlando, FL. Anyone else moving to Iowa City from the South?? I'll be living in a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath condo on Oakcrest street. I'm looking for a clean and quiet roommate, preferably male, if anyone is still looking. Go Hawkeyes!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun May 09, 2010 12:22 am

http://www.law.uiowa.edu/documents/wrc-competitions.pdf

Just found this browsing the website. I wonder how many people actually enter all these writing competitions, since I haven't really heard of too many people talking about them. I guess if you have the time this might be a way to get some much needed financial aid if you are going to be paying sticker price.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Sun May 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Any futbol fans among the class of 2013? I'll need to get my weekend fix somewhere, so if anyone has an idea of bars with Fox Soccer Channel or Gol TV, let me know.

Yacht_Party

Postby Yacht_Party » Sun May 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Hey traehekat, I noticed you were considering Wake? You officially Iowa now?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun May 09, 2010 3:14 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:Hey traehekat, I noticed you were considering Wake? You officially Iowa now?

99.9% sure, but I have yet to withdraw from Wake Forest yet. I plan on doing so in about a week, after graduation. Wake Forest has been wonderful and I'm very humbled by their generous scholarship offer, so it was a pretty tough decision to make. Ultimately, it really came down to a geographical preference - I would like to eventually work in Chicago and stay near my family and friends. If you would have asked me a month ago if I would attend Wake Forest in the event they gave me a large scholarship, I would have said without a doubt. When I made the 10 hour drive from Chicago to Winston-Salem, though, it really hit me how far away I would really be moving from everything and everyone I have ever known.

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Sun May 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Jerome wrote:Any futbol fans among the class of 2013? I'll need to get my weekend fix somewhere, so if anyone has an idea of bars with Fox Soccer Channel or Gol TV, let me know.

Huge futbol (soccer) fan here. In the Premier League, my team's taken a pretty huge beating this year (Liverpool). I also greatly enjoy MLS. Point being, I'm gonna want to watch the games, too. Pretty sure it won't be too hard to find.

MoS

Postby MoS » Sun May 09, 2010 10:30 pm

thepcv wrote:
Jerome wrote:Any futbol fans among the class of 2013? I'll need to get my weekend fix somewhere, so if anyone has an idea of bars with Fox Soccer Channel or Gol TV, let me know.

Huge futbol (soccer) fan here. In the Premier League, my team's taken a pretty huge beating this year (Liverpool). I also greatly enjoy MLS. Point being, I'm gonna want to watch the games, too. Pretty sure it won't be too hard to find.

No, not a liverpool fan. I am not sure anyone will televise them if they do as bad as they did last year, unless they are playing a good team. But I am sure on of the MANY MANY bars just off campus will have it.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Mon May 10, 2010 3:31 am

MoS wrote:
thepcv wrote:

No, not a liverpool fan. I am not sure anyone will televise them if they do as bad as they did last year, unless they are playing a good team. But I am sure on of the MANY MANY bars just off campus will have it.

I haven't really been keeping up with futbol happenings, but I'm looking forward to rooting for Chile in the world cup this summer! :D:D:D

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Mon May 10, 2010 12:50 pm

thepcv wrote:

I'm confident I can find a bar with soccer on. The problem always seems to arise when the bars are football bars first, and come Sunday, I can't watch the clasico. Always bad news.

Poor, poor you, a Pool fan. Benitez out, maybe Torres, too. I have said this for a few years now: Xabi Alonso made that team. At least, as a Pool fan, you didn't have to watch Man U lift the trophy.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Mon May 10, 2010 12:54 pm

Fine, i'll be the first:

"What do you do when baseball, basketball, football and hockey, are just too hard, and you are too slow to make the track team? Don't worry, we got you covered."

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Mon May 10, 2010 1:00 pm

Slimpee wrote:Fine, i'll be the first:

"What do you do when baseball, basketball, football and hockey, are just too hard, and you are too slow to make the track team? Don't worry, we got you covered."

--ImageRemoved--

vs.

Just sayin'.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon May 10, 2010 1:07 pm

I'm with Slimpee, I just can't get into soccer. It's like... nothing really happens, and then when something finally does happen, it's not even that cool.

I'll watch Ronaldinho do skill and trick shots all day on YouTube, but as far as actually watching an entire soccer match...

Yacht_Party

Postby Yacht_Party » Mon May 10, 2010 1:41 pm

One advantage that soccer/futbol seems to have over American sports is passion. The fan loyalty and the atmosphere at high-profile matches is unparalleled, or so I am told. In the U.S., stadium sizes are contracting (particularly in football) and marginalizing real fans. The continuing threat of franchise relocation also hinders fan devotion.

That being said, soccer is tiresome to watch. SportsCenter highlights do just fine.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon May 10, 2010 1:45 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:One advantage that soccer/futbol seems to have over American sports is passion. The fan loyalty and the atmosphere at high-profile matches is unparalleled, or so I am told. In the U.S., stadium sizes are contracting (particularly in football) and marginalizing real fans. The continuing threat of franchise relocation also hinders fan devotion.

That being said, soccer is tiresome to watch. SportsCenter highlights do just fine.

I do like that soccer is an international sport, as it just gives me another excuse to root for the United States in something. Plus I love big sporting events, and it doesn't get much bigger than the World Cup.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Mon May 10, 2010 2:15 pm

traehekat wrote:
Yacht_Party wrote:One advantage that soccer/futbol seems to have over American sports is passion. The fan loyalty and the atmosphere at high-profile matches is unparalleled, or so I am told. In the U.S., stadium sizes are contracting (particularly in football) and marginalizing real fans. The continuing threat of franchise relocation also hinders fan devotion.

I do like that soccer is an international sport, as it just gives me another excuse to root for the United States in something. Plus I love big sporting events, and it doesn't get much bigger than the World Cup.

I can understand (yet do not agree with) the "soccer is boring" sentiment. But I am also willing to make a wager: come watch the clasico with me next year (Barcelona against their arch-rivals, Real Madrid), and if you do not thoroughly enjoy the game, I will buy you a liquor of your choice. Those games are just as big as (almost) any international match.

elizaD

Postby elizaD » Mon May 10, 2010 2:29 pm

+1

BTW, Man U is playing the Wizards in KC July 25!

Knights1215

Facebook group

Postby Knights1215 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:48 pm

Hey Everyone,

I started a facebook page for our class...it's called "University of Iowa College of Law Class of 2013" (rather obvious, I know) If we all join, it'll help us network a little bit better and may help those looking for roommates and such...looking forward to meeting all of you!

traehekat

Re: Facebook group

Postby traehekat » Mon May 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Knights1215 wrote:Hey Everyone,

I started a facebook page for our class...it's called "University of Iowa College of Law Class of 2013" (rather obvious, I know) If we all join, it'll help us network a little bit better and may help those looking for roommates and such...looking forward to meeting all of you!

The official Iowa Law Class of 2013 Facebook page is here, if you haven't seen it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Iowa-College-of-Law-Class-of-2013/117741298259267?v=wall&ref=ss#!/group.php?gid=338211879350&ref=ts

ASUTimmyD

Postby ASUTimmyD » Mon May 10, 2010 3:15 pm

Hey all!

The fact that I am reading about future Iowa law students loving soccer/football/futbol has made even more excited about my decision. I'm moving into the house my wife and I just bought in Iowa City near the law school next week. If anyone is going to be in Iowa City and wants to watch the World Cup this summer let me know. I have a 50 inch TV, and hopefully by June my keg-erator will be up and running!

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Mon May 10, 2010 3:31 pm

ASUTimmyD wrote:Hey all!

The fact that I am reading about future Iowa law students loving soccer/football/futbol has made even more excited about my decision. I'm moving into the house my wife and I just bought in Iowa City near the law school next week. If anyone is going to be in Iowa City and wants to watch the World Cup this summer let me know. I have a 50 inch TV, and hopefully by June my keg-erator will be up and running!

I think you will not struggle socially. Not at all.

ASUTimmyD

Postby ASUTimmyD » Mon May 10, 2010 3:37 pm

lol

I know NO ONE in Iowa City, hence the open solicitation for fellow soccer fans and beer drinkers this summer. My wife has to stay out East for a few more months as well, so I'm not going to be picky about anyone wanting to hang out. This is especially true if it means meeting future classmates.

Yacht_Party

Postby Yacht_Party » Mon May 10, 2010 3:57 pm

ASUTimmyD wrote:Hey all!

This is very promising. Pleased to meet you, sir.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Mon May 10, 2010 4:00 pm

ASUTimmyD wrote:

lol

I know NO ONE in Iowa City, hence the open solicitation for fellow soccer fans and beer drinkers this summer. My wife has to stay out East for a few more months as well, so I'm not going to be picky about anyone wanting to hang out. This is especially true if it means meeting future classmates.

I'll get there in August, and will most certainly be down for beer and futbol.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”