IOWA 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
thepcv

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby thepcv » Tue May 04, 2010 4:09 pm

I play pretty much all sports (soccer, football, baseball/softball, bball, rugby, etc). I also lift weights (will be basically starting over when I arrive in Iowa, but will definitely be lifting regardless), run (here in Africa, I coordinate a 5k run every other Sunday as a part of the international Hash House Harriers -- drinkers with a running problem), and rock climb (though my experience is with actual rock--not climbing walls).

So basically, count me in for anything sport related. :D

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue May 04, 2010 4:16 pm

thepcv wrote:I play pretty much all sports (soccer, football, baseball/softball, bball, rugby, etc). I also lift weights (will be basically starting over when I arrive in Iowa, but will definitely be lifting regardless), run (here in Africa, I coordinate a 5k run every other Sunday as a part of the international Hash House Harriers -- drinkers with a running problem), and rock climb (though my experience is with actual rock--not climbing walls).

Count me in. Moving from CO will probably be a bit of a shock without real rock, but UI has a wall. I typically only boulder, though.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue May 04, 2010 4:25 pm

thepcv wrote:I play pretty much all sports (soccer, football, baseball/softball, bball, rugby, etc).

Ooh, LS rugby team? If i can get back some of my quickness i'll make for a pretty decent back...

dt22

Postby dt22 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:29 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:
dt22 wrote:my coworkers and i have been working out together...if anyone wants to do a workout group, i'd do that too.

I lift, if that's what you mean. Edit: have also done CrossFit.

We do either random stuff in the gym or P90 (im god awful and can't do half of it)....so ya, whatever.

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Tue May 04, 2010 5:53 pm

Jerome wrote:
thepcv wrote:I play pretty much all sports (soccer, football, baseball/softball, bball, rugby, etc). I also lift weights (will be basically starting over when I arrive in Iowa, but will definitely be lifting regardless), run (here in Africa, I coordinate a 5k run every other Sunday as a part of the international Hash House Harriers -- drinkers with a running problem), and rock climb (though my experience is with actual rock--not climbing walls).

Count me in. Moving from CO will probably be a bit of a shock without real rock, but UI has a wall. I typically only boulder, though.

Sweet. Yeah, I'm a fan of bouldering, too, but figure we probably won't have a lot of opportunity of that in IC.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue May 04, 2010 7:15 pm

thepcv wrote:
Jerome wrote:

Sweet. Yeah, I'm a fan of bouldering, too, but figure we probably won't have a lot of opportunity of that in IC.

Sadly. On there other hand, if we need to make a few shekels, I can see a bouldering gym taking off.

Yacht_Party

Postby Yacht_Party » Wed May 05, 2010 1:29 am

dt22 wrote:
Yacht_Party wrote:
dt22 wrote:my coworkers and i have been working out together...if anyone wants to do a workout group, i'd do that too.

I lift, if that's what you mean. Edit: have also done CrossFit.

We do either random stuff in the gym or P90 (im god awful and can't do half of it)....so ya, whatever.

Try CrossFit sometime if you feel like something new. You can always scale the workouts if you need to.

bemidiji41

Postby bemidiji41 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:28 am

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
bhblack wrote:I'll be attending next year. My understanding of the other thread was that it is for those still debating attending/in the midst of the admissions process. I feel like this thread is for those who will be attending to discuss it!

So, who else will be going? Any out of state people?

I'm from Ann Arbor, Michigan, and I most likely will be there next year.

I'm from Ann Arbor also =) And will probably be attending Iowa.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Wed May 05, 2010 11:32 am

bemidiji41 wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
bhblack wrote:I'll be attending next year. My understanding of the other thread was that it is for those still debating attending/in the midst of the admissions process. I feel like this thread is for those who will be attending to discuss it!

So, who else will be going? Any out of state people?

I'm from Ann Arbor, Michigan, and I most likely will be there next year.

I'm from Ann Arbor also =) And will probably be attending Iowa.

That makes three of us. Go Blue.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed May 05, 2010 11:54 am

Jerome wrote:
thepcv wrote:
Jerome wrote:

Sadly. On there other hand, if we need to make a few shekels, I can see a bouldering gym taking off.

For those like me who have no idea what bouldering is because they have lived in the Midwest their entire lives...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouldering

Seems cool, but I guess you are typically only a few meters off the ground?

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Thu May 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Anybody looking for a roomie?

Before I go any further, I am sitting on MN's WL and plan to for a while. In the event that I don't get in, however, I wouldn't mind a roommate in Iowa City.

I'm a good roommate, I promise. PM me for details...

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Thu May 06, 2010 12:34 pm

Jerome (and anyone else who's curious), good news.

I was looking at the fact sheet for the new Campus Rec and Wellness Center and found these wonderful tidbits of info:

Climbing Wall: a 54 foot tall wall with 8 ropes and a separate bouldering wall. The
climbing wall will allow for lead climbing.

Leisure Pool: Bouldering Wall (will allows users to climb up the rock wall a few feet and then
fall back into the water).

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Thu May 06, 2010 12:36 pm

thepcv wrote:Jerome (and anyone else who's curious), good news.

I was looking at the fact sheet for the new Campus Rec and Wellness Center and found these wonderful tidbits of info:

Climbing Wall: a 54 foot tall wall with 8 ropes and a separate bouldering wall. The

Leisure Pool: Bouldering Wall (will allows users to climb up the rock wall a few feet and then

Oooooh, fantastic! Doesn't it open next year? Or am I making that up?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu May 06, 2010 12:37 pm

In case anyone is interesting in ordering law apparel, I spoke with someone at the bookstore yesterday and she said they don't have a lot in stock right now because a lot of 3Ls just purchased a bunch of stuff, but they are going to be getting more in (including new stuff) in a week or two.

Slimpee wrote:

Oooooh, fantastic! Doesn't it open next year? Or am I making that up?

Someone on the Facebook page said they are just finishing it up, so I'm assuming it'll be open by August.

Yacht_Party

Postby Yacht_Party » Thu May 06, 2010 2:21 pm

traehekat wrote:In case anyone is interesting in ordering law apparel, I spoke with someone at the bookstore yesterday and she said they don't have a lot in stock right now because a lot of 3Ls just purchased a bunch of stuff, but they are going to be getting more in (including new stuff) in a week or two.

Hopefully this indicates good things about their experience at Iowa ;)

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Thu May 06, 2010 3:09 pm

fall back into the water)

Sweeeet.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Thu May 06, 2010 9:18 pm

Jerome wrote:

fall back into the water)

Sweeeet.

I feel like it's going to be very hard to concentrate on homework and studying seeing as I'm going to be climbing and swimming....always. :D

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Fri May 07, 2010 11:18 am

When are most people moving in? I'm anxious as hell to get out of this town, so I'm considering moving to Iowa City by July 1st instead of August 1st. Anybody else?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri May 07, 2010 12:10 pm

I'll be in Iowa City by August 1st. As much as I'd like to relocate earlier than that, I have a few obligations at home :P

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri May 07, 2010 1:22 pm

Earliest I'll be there is August 1st, the latest August 10th. Anyone close to finalizing housing yet? I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in a one bedroom at Seville - anyone else going to be joining me there?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri May 07, 2010 1:41 pm

traehekat wrote:Earliest I'll be there is August 1st, the latest August 10th. Anyone close to finalizing housing yet? I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in a one bedroom at Seville - anyone else going to be joining me there?

Yep, my Seville 1BR was recently assigned. I'm fortunate to be on the third floor. See you there :)

MoS

Postby MoS » Fri May 07, 2010 1:43 pm

traehekat wrote:Earliest I'll be there is August 1st, the latest August 10th. Anyone close to finalizing housing yet? I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in a one bedroom at Seville - anyone else going to be joining me there?

Got a two bedroom at Seville, waiting on my roommate to finalize their side, but the deposit and application have been accepted.

Yacht_Party

Postby Yacht_Party » Fri May 07, 2010 2:27 pm

How much is the deposit?

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Fri May 07, 2010 2:31 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:How much is the deposit?

First is $250, second is $150

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri May 07, 2010 2:32 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:How much is the deposit?

Did you mean the apartment deposit? It'll run you $620 for a 1BR.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”