IOWA 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:35 pm

tate033 wrote:plus being an RA has the added benefit of a resume/letter of rec/personal relationship with a prof boost


+1. Big for clerkships.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby MoS » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:26 pm

I think they really try to accommodate people with RA positions that want them. But just because this semester 100% of the people who wanted them got them, doesn't mean they are always guaranteed (unless it's part of your scholarship). The semester before it seams like the number was 90 some percent, but they mentioned a few semesters ago it was only like 60%. So I would just head the "don't count your chickens" saying.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:16 am

I was just browsing LSN, and of everyone who received $$ from Iowa, only 9 have not withdrawn, and of those 9 only 2 have actually committed to Iowa at this point. On the other hand, 17 people who received full rides have withdrawn.

Are you REALLY telling me those 17 full rides are not going to be reallocated? I realize LSN is just a small sample, and it may not even be representative of the overall applicant pool, but still... did they really hand out $2 million in scholarship money they didn't have?

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby JOThompson » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:43 am

traehekat wrote:I was just browsing LSN, and of everyone who received $$ from Iowa, only 9 have not withdrawn, and of those 9 only 2 have actually committed to Iowa at this point. On the other hand, 17 people who received full rides have withdrawn.

Are you REALLY telling me those 17 full rides are not going to be reallocated? I realize LSN is just a small sample, and it may not even be representative of the overall applicant pool, but still... did they really hand out $2 million in scholarship money they didn't have?

From the Law Opportunity Fellowship letter: "Your prompt notice will enable the College of Law to make these funds available to other deserving students." I quoted this a couple months ago in another thread and not many people seemed to believe me. I'm a little boggled about the financial aid office's statements, which aren't compatible with the LOF letter or Mr. Byrd's assertions. I have a couple friends who are on the fence about Iowa and I'm afraid the school will lose many qualified, interesting applicants if it doesn't offer some form of aid ITE. If withdrawals have made more money available, I just don't see how the school can not reallocate some scholarship money, unless it made far more offers than it expected to be accepted.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby webbylu87 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:08 am

JOThompson wrote:
traehekat wrote:I was just browsing LSN, and of everyone who received $$ from Iowa, only 9 have not withdrawn, and of those 9 only 2 have actually committed to Iowa at this point. On the other hand, 17 people who received full rides have withdrawn.

Are you REALLY telling me those 17 full rides are not going to be reallocated? I realize LSN is just a small sample, and it may not even be representative of the overall applicant pool, but still... did they really hand out $2 million in scholarship money they didn't have?

From the Law Opportunity Fellowship letter: "Your prompt notice will enable the College of Law to make these funds available to other deserving students." I quoted this a couple months ago in another thread and not many people seemed to believe me. I'm a little boggled about the financial aid office's statements, which aren't compatible with the LOF letter or Mr. Byrd's assertions. I have a couple friends who are on the fence about Iowa and I'm afraid the school will lose many qualified, interesting applicants if it doesn't offer some form of aid ITE. If withdrawals have made more money available, I just don't see how the school can not reallocate some scholarship money, unless it made far more offers than it expected to be accepted.


Having spoken to Mr. Byrd recently he anticipates that there will be some reallocation of money. He thinks this is likely to happen only through mid-May, maybe early June. After that, highly doubtful. With that said, it sounded like this money would only be reallocated to applicants who were nominated for a full-scholarship but didn't receive one. He said that in previous years they have had enough money turned down to allocate some partial scholarships but it looks like that won't happen this year. There are 78 people who were nominated for some form of scholarship but didn't receive one so the odds that you as an individual will get money are very low although it sounds like a few (maybe 4-5) will. Financial Aid seems to be telling people there won't be reallocation so that they don't count on it or base their decision on the hope of some money coming their way which is probably a good idea even though it makes it seem like there's a disconnect between the two offices.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby MoS » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:55 am

traehekat wrote:I was just browsing LSN, and of everyone who received $$ from Iowa, only 9 have not withdrawn, and of those 9 only 2 have actually committed to Iowa at this point. On the other hand, 17 people who received full rides have withdrawn.

Are you REALLY telling me those 17 full rides are not going to be reallocated? I realize LSN is just a small sample, and it may not even be representative of the overall applicant pool, but still... did they really hand out $2 million in scholarship money they didn't have?


I don't think LSN is a representative sample of all those who received scholarships. Plus I bet most people have stopped updating their LSN stuff, it is a bit of a hassle. Most of us used to guess if we would get admission or a scholarship or . So now that the need is fulfilled they just don't care.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Slimpee » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:48 am

Perhaps I should have asked before clicking "accept" but is paying the first deposit and accepting the offer of admission binding?

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:52 am

Slimpee wrote:Perhaps I should have asked before clicking "accept" but is paying the first deposit and accepting the offer of admission binding?


First seat deposit isn't. Having second thoughts?

tsub
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:36 am

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby tsub » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:59 am

Slimpee wrote:Perhaps I should have asked before clicking "accept" but is paying the first deposit and accepting the offer of admission binding?


Yeah, I know what you mean; I did the same thing. I thought when I hit accept some other form would show up with some kind of statement about how it was binding, but it just said that "the admissions office will be notified." So, I didn't notice any type of statement alluding to it being binding (or hardly any other statement whatsoever) but I'm pretty sure it won't be a big deal since they have a massive waitlist and they get a $250 donation from me.

User avatar
Yacht_Party
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Yacht_Party » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:10 pm

For those of you who managed a visit, what was your impression of the library?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:29 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:For those of you who managed a visit, what was your impression of the library?


I thought it was okay, nothing too exciting. Obviously it isn't the best library in the nation because it looks nice (because it doesn't). It just has more resources. As a 1L you don't receive your own carol, as you may know, but you I guess most 2Ls and 3Ls don't really use their assigned ones, so there is no problem finding somewhere to study in the library if you want to study there.

Functionally, I can't really say much other than, well, it's the best!

User avatar
Yacht_Party
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Yacht_Party » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:38 pm

Sounds good, thanks for the input. Don't really mind about having (or not having) my own go-to space. Easy access to coffee? Kind of an addict.

Andrew the Wolverine
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:44 pm

traehekat wrote:
Yacht_Party wrote:For those of you who managed a visit, what was your impression of the library?


I thought it was okay, nothing too exciting. Obviously it isn't the best library in the nation because it looks nice (because it doesn't). It just has more resources. As a 1L you don't receive your own carol, as you may know, but you I guess most 2Ls and 3Ls don't really use their assigned ones, so there is no problem finding somewhere to study in the library if you want to study there.

Functionally, I can't really say much other than, well, it's the best!


I couldn't disagree more. I thought the library was gorgeous. It was tons of space, great places to study, very organized and neat. Traehekat is right in that you can find open study carrel's because not all of them get used. For me, the library was a big selling point for Iowa Law as a whole, especially compared to some other law libraries I have visited. Obviously the resources are a big reason for its high rating, but I also thought the aesthetics and functional quality to the library were great.

On a side note, the rather dreary appearance of the law building from the outside belies the appeal of the inside. I thought it was a great building once you get to the interior. I'd definitely visit if I were you because you really get a feel for how you will get around and where you will be spending most of your time.

staylor21
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby staylor21 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:10 pm

Hey all,

just accepted a scholarship today to attend Iowa in the Fall, any insight on where to live?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:17 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Yacht_Party wrote:For those of you who managed a visit, what was your impression of the library?


I thought it was okay, nothing too exciting. Obviously it isn't the best library in the nation because it looks nice (because it doesn't). It just has more resources. As a 1L you don't receive your own carol, as you may know, but you I guess most 2Ls and 3Ls don't really use their assigned ones, so there is no problem finding somewhere to study in the library if you want to study there.

Functionally, I can't really say much other than, well, it's the best!


I couldn't disagree more. I thought the library was gorgeous. It was tons of space, great places to study, very organized and neat. Traehekat is right in that you can find open study carrel's because not all of them get used. For me, the library was a big selling point for Iowa Law as a whole, especially compared to some other law libraries I have visited. Obviously the resources are a big reason for its high rating, but I also thought the aesthetics and functional quality to the library were great.

On a side note, the rather dreary appearance of the law building from the outside belies the appeal of the inside. I thought it was a great building once you get to the interior. I'd definitely visit if I were you because you really get a feel for how you will get around and where you will be spending most of your time.


Yeah, I just didn't think it was anything "pretty," but everything else you mention is absolutely true - tons of space, places to study, organized, neat, etc. I've seen 4 other libraries (Wake, UIUC, DePaul, Loyola), and I'd say Iowa's is in the middle as far as aesthetics (it's hard to beat the view of the city you get from DePaul and Loyola, but that's just me). Totally agree about the inside of the building, too. The outside is actually kinda cool too, if you like your law building resembling the death star.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:20 pm

traehekat wrote:The outside is actually kinda cool too, if you like your law building resembling the death star.


I don't know about you, but I'd love to pretend I'm Princess Leia when I'm doing my property reading. Just sayin'.

User avatar
dt22
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby dt22 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:28 pm

it's not "pretty" compared to a private well-funded school's library...

User avatar
Yacht_Party
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Yacht_Party » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:54 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
traehekat wrote:The outside is actually kinda cool too, if you like your law building resembling the death star.


I don't know about you, but I'd love to pretend I'm Princess Leia when I'm doing my property reading. Just sayin'.


I think pretending to be Chewbacca would be [strike]even better[/strike] more interesting.

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby jaskat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:53 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
traehekat wrote:The outside is actually kinda cool too, if you like your law building resembling the death star.


I don't know about you, but I'd love to pretend I'm Princess Leia when I'm doing my property reading. Just sayin'.

+1,000,000

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby Jerome » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:06 pm

jaskat wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:
traehekat wrote:The outside is actually kinda cool too, if you like your law building resembling the death star.


I don't know about you, but I'd love to pretend I'm Princess Leia when I'm doing my property reading. Just sayin'.

+1,000,000

I'm going with Chewbacca while working on civ pro.

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby jaskat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:08 pm

I think we need Star War character assignment. :P

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:18 pm

jaskat wrote:I think we need Star War character assignment. :P


At risk of sounding like a huge nerd, I was going to say there are probably enough characters between all six movies that everyone in the entire class could have their own.

I'd prefer not to be Ewok #14 though.

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby jaskat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:38 pm

Can I be badass female Jedi # 7 then?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby traehekat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:46 pm

jaskat wrote:Can I be badass female Jedi # 7 then?


Only if I can be Stormtrooper #47.

User avatar
dt22
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: IOWA 2013

Postby dt22 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:56 pm

wow guys....

um, i haven't seen it?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests