IOWA 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
MoS

Bronze

Re: IOWA 2013

Post by MoS » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:50 am

kazootey wrote:
jaskat wrote::shock: What do you do to keep awake then?

(Really, I was going for a potentially all inclusive 'Just saying hi and meeting my new classmates' type of thing. :))
I don't do anything to keep awake as far as eating or drinking anything. I just can't take the smell or taste of coffee. Same goes for watermelon. I also worry about getting addicted to it, where if you don't get your cup in the morning then you turn into an evil zombie monster until you get some. Where is everyone meeting, anyway? I might join in.
I don't drink coffee to stay awake either, but I don't mind the taste. Really a good cup of tea has more caffeine in it that coffee anyway. Of course going to school in the south I prefer sweet ice tea with has the added benefit of lots of sugar to keep you going.

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:26 pm

My wife and I just signed a lease for a house right by the law school. It's probably a two-minute bike ride or 5 minute walk. The rent is expensive, though, so we'd like to get a roommate. It has a basement that is not finished but is pretty nice as-is. The people who are about to move out have a family room down there. That's the area we'd like to rent out. You'd have access to the whole house also, of course. It's really nice: hardwood floors, granite countertops, etc. And you wouldn't have to pay for parking at the law school.

The one thing is that my wife is pregnant, so we will have a child in the house before too long. You'd be sleeping on a different floor, sure, but I just wanted full disclosure here so you'd know what to expect. It certainly wouldn't be the best place to stay if you want to throw parties, but we do like to hang out/grill/drink/etc. especially on the weekends. Drop me a message if you might be interested. I'd really like a law school roomie instead of some random person.
Last edited by sebastian0622 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hawkeye22

Bronze

Post by hawkeye22 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:34 pm

kazootey wrote:

(Really, I was going for a potentially all inclusive 'Just saying hi and meeting my new classmates' type of thing. :))
I don't do anything to keep awake as far as eating or drinking anything. I just can't take the smell or taste of coffee. Same goes for watermelon. I also worry about getting addicted to it, where if you don't get your cup in the morning then you turn into an evil zombie monster until you get some. Where is everyone meeting, anyway? I might join in.
You do academic work without caffeine? You are stronger than me.

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:09 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:
kazootey wrote:

^ that. I am the talked about evil zombie when faced with lack of coffee.

My roommate says there's this really good coffee/bagel shop across the street from the law school. Maybe we should all meet there at some point if anyone is in fact interested in meeting up.

elizaD

New

Post by elizaD » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:49 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:
nyskidude wrote:Woot woot section 2!!! Don't know what the schedule actually is yet, but my mom just called and said that was my section. I got Hovenkamp, too! So psyched, since I will probably be takign quite a few classes from him in my time here.

Section 2 represent.

hey hey fellow Section 2ers!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:10 pm

elizaD wrote:
Yacht_Party wrote:
nyskidude wrote:Woot woot section 2!!! Don't know what the schedule actually is yet, but my mom just called and said that was my section. I got Hovenkamp, too! So psyched, since I will probably be takign quite a few classes from him in my time here.

Section 2 represent.

HOLLA

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:39 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:
elizaD wrote:
Yacht_Party wrote:

Section 2 represent.

HOLLA
That's right! Section 2 is where the party's at! We'll be the crazy ones in Boyd every day at 8am....

kazootey

New

Post by kazootey » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:47 pm

Are there any Benton Villa residents on here?

mshflyer

New

Post by mshflyer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:16 pm

jaskat wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:
kazootey wrote:

^ that. I am the talked about evil zombie when faced with lack of coffee.

My roommate says there's this really good coffee/bagel shop across the street from the law school. Maybe we should all meet there at some point if anyone is in fact interested in meeting up.
I definitely want to meet up with you guys!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Undergradut

New

Post by Undergradut » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:24 pm

Last edited by Undergradut on Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OkieGirl

New

Post by OkieGirl » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:44 am

Is anyone moving and needing some help getting everything to Iowa City? I have a 17' U-Haul and have some room to spare if anyone wants to help with gas money! Right now, I am in Oklahoma but will finish the trip on Wednesday. I will be going from Tulsa area Oklahoma-Joplin-Kansas City-Des Moines-and then Iowa City. If you are in those cities or within reasonable distance and want to join, PM me and we can talk about the details.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:53 am

Is ICON working for people? It doesn't look any different from the past few days...

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:00 pm

Slimpee wrote:Is ICON working for people? It doesn't look any different from the past few days...
The College of Law Academic Achievement Program link is clickable now. I think that's the only change.

EDIT: It looks like there are also some discussion/content topics that are available on the main page next the Academic Achievement Program link. I don't know if those were there before, but there seems to be some interesting information there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:24 pm

I was looking at the content part of ICON and there are no exams from my professors at the library. That sucks.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:28 pm

MoS wrote:I was looking at the content part of ICON and there are no exams from my professors at the library. That sucks.
Wow, that is pretty lame. I have exams on reserve from two of my three professors, but Burton's are from 1977-1979, haha.

sques001

New

Post by sques001 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:39 pm

Does anyone know how to get the section info and professors from the icon website?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:07 pm

traehekat wrote:
Slimpee wrote:Is ICON working for people? It doesn't look any different from the past few days...
The College of Law Academic Achievement Program link is clickable now. I think that's the only change.

EDIT: It looks like there are also some discussion/content topics that are available on the main page next the Academic Achievement Program link. I don't know if those were there before, but there seems to be some interesting information there.
I thought our class schedules and stuff were available. Maybe i'm just not using it right.

My second packet is floating around the mail trying to catch up to me so I still don't know anything my classes/section

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:16 pm

The info they sent out has everyone's name and section number on it. Just PM me or someone else with the info and you can find out your section and professors.

Edit: Also we aren't registered until July 22, so I imagine that means you can't view what courses we are enrolled in, since we aren't enrolled yet.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 pm

MoS wrote:The info they sent out has everyone's name and section number on it. Just PM me or someone else with the info and you can find out your section and professors.

Edit: Also we aren't registered until July 22, so I imagine that means you can't view what courses we are enrolled in, since we aren't enrolled yet.
So thanks to Jaskat I found out im in Section 6. Umm, yay?

sques001

New

Post by sques001 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:14 pm

section 2!!!

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:17 pm

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:04 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:
MoS wrote:The info they sent out has everyone's name and section number on it. Just PM me or someone else with the info and you can find out your section and professors.

So thanks to Jaskat I found out im in Section 6. Umm, yay?
Welcome to section 6: No Friday's Allowed.
I was kind of jealous of you guys having 3 day weekends every week until I saw your schedule. Ouch, guys!

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:10 pm

sques001 wrote:section 2!!!
Yeah Sques!!!! Welcome to section 2. We have to get up early. Often. But we are happy to have ya!

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

elizaD

New

Post by elizaD » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:22 pm

nyskidude wrote:
sques001 wrote:section 2!!!
Yeah Sques!!!! Welcome to section 2. We have to get up early. Often. But we are happy to have ya!
Welcome! And 'the early bird gets the worm?' I'm not sure how this saying applies to law school. Maybe it's referring to the worm at the bottom of the tequila bottle?

Hopefully, I'll be able to maintain the same schedule I have now for work. Mon - Friday: Wake up at around 6:30, enjoy a cup of coffee, get to the office by 8, get off at 5, misc. activities in the evening (exercising, socializing, reading, watching tv, etc), and in bed around 11. ... I'm guessing the evenings will be fewer miscellaneous activities and more studying, but i'm gonna try to treat law school like a job... Hopefully, our weekends wont be too law-filled.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”