IOWA 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
cojonelso

New

IOWA 2013

Post by cojonelso » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:26 pm

"Established in 1865, Iowa is the oldest law school in continuous operation west of the Mississippi river, and has earned itself a reputation as one of the finest law schools in the Midwest."

Who will be attending?

New

Re: IOWA 2013

Post by 02092010 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm still in the waiting process.. Has anyone heard back, good or bad?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:25 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=95370

This is the thread going already for Iowa.

There have been a number of acceptances already.

Good luck!

ILoveClowns8

New

Post by ILoveClowns8 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:32 pm

I'll be attending next year. My understanding of the other thread was that it is for those still debating attending/in the midst of the admissions process. I feel like this thread is for those who will be attending to discuss it!

So, who else will be going? Any out of state people?

Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:57 pm

bhblack wrote:I'll be attending next year. My understanding of the other thread was that it is for those still debating attending/in the midst of the admissions process. I feel like this thread is for those who will be attending to discuss it!

So, who else will be going? Any out of state people?
I'm from Ann Arbor, Michigan, and I most likely will be there next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

caligirl07

New

Post by caligirl07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:40 pm

I am from California and was accepted already with some $$. I am seriously considering attending, but was trying to obtain more information about the area. From what I understand it has a "college town" feel which might be a big adjustment for me and my husband. The weather is another slight concern…

Anyone from the area care to comment?

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:23 pm

bhblack wrote: So, who else will be going? Any out of state people?
I am technically out of state, even though I am graduating from ISU. Right now I am about 65-35 on attending Iowa with the scholarship offer I got. The other 35 is Cornell. I want to do public interest so minimizing debt is a major concern for me, plus Iowa has the advantage of only being a 2 hour drive to Ames to see my wife.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:26 pm

caligirl07 wrote:I am from California and was accepted already with some $$. I am seriously considering attending, but was trying to obtain more information about the area. From what I understand it has a "college town" feel which might be a big adjustment for me and my husband. The weather is another slight concern…

The weather is not too bad. Came to Iowa after living in California, Maryland and Florida. Since you would be arriving at the tail end of summer, you will become acclimatized to the cold weather before it gets to the -20 wind chill temperatures (as it is now). So it sounds bad, but you get use to it real fast.

lsatbdog

New

Post by lsatbdog » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:39 pm

CyLaw wrote:
caligirl07 wrote:I am from California and was accepted already with some $$. I am seriously considering attending, but was trying to obtain more information about the area. From what I understand it has a "college town" feel which might be a big adjustment for me and my husband. The weather is another slight concern…

The weather is not too bad. Came to Iowa after living in California, Maryland and Florida. Since you would be arriving at the tail end of summer, you will become acclimatized to the cold weather before it gets to the -20 wind chill temperatures (as it is now). So it sounds bad, but you get use to it real fast.
While Iowa weather is bearable, I wouldn't say that you just "get used to it real fast". Overall, winter is not that bad (it can get EXTREMELY cold ocassionally, to the point you won't want to be outside but thats rare). Its more the snow and ice than temperature that I disliked. Overall though, its not horrible and its certainly not a reason not to go to the law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:09 am

I'm about 85% certain I'll be attending (full ride with the Law Opportunity Fellowship is hard to turn down). Really, I'm just waiting to hear back from a couple of places before I make a final decision. But the more I look at Iowa, the more I like it.

re: the weather
I'm a Peace Corps volunteer currently living in West Africa. Right now, it's "cold season." Which means I wear long sleeve shirts and light jackets because it's a brisk 63º at night (and a chilly 95 during the day). Most of the year, it stays around 100-110 with nightly temps between 85-95. Meaning, it'd be really, really nice if I could be acclimated to the weather before those wind chills really kick in.

caligirl07

New

Post by caligirl07 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:32 pm

Has anyone heard anything about admitted student’s day?

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:45 pm

Iowa is among my top choices. I need to decide between the Fellowship offer there and a smaller scholarship at Minnesota now.

Tuski

New

Post by Tuski » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:51 pm

I live in the area, and the weather is a top reason why I won't go to Iowa despite in-state tuition, and am instead looking at lower-ranked schools outside of Iowa. I started to submit an app, but then decided I couldn't endure one more winter here. These past couple weeks have only assured me I'm making the right decision, lol. I've never gotten used to the weather, and don't think I ever will! Granted though, I'm something of a baby about the cold, so you should probably make your on judgment.

Also, the summers aren't the greatest either - very hot & humid, and not much to do. (If you're an outdoorsy type person, Iowa might not be the place for you).

In terms of Iowa City, it is definitely a college town, but there is affordable housing in suburbs (Coralville, North Liberty, Tiffin) if you're trying to get away from that. I know plenty of people who've chosen to do that and are happy.

Any way, that's my 2 cents, hope it's helpful. Feel free to PM me if you want to know any more info.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ILoveClowns8

New

Post by ILoveClowns8 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:47 am

I live in the area too, northern end of the state actually, but I don't find the weather too bad. The first week or so of winter isn't pleasant, but you adjust fairly quickly. Feelings about the weather tend to differ from person to person, I would recommend visiting to get a feel for it.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:02 pm

It looks like I will be most likely attending school at Iowa. Even without scholarship money (I hope to get some since I'm above both medians though!) in state tuition for the 2nd and 3rd year with an RA position sound great. If william and mary pulls through, or W&L, I might have to re-think things. What is everyone doing about living situations? Also has anyone received partial scholly info yet?

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:04 am

I am seriously considering Iowa. I was curious if anyone knew anything about housing. I looked at Iowa's website, they have some helpful links. I am more curious if the cheap housing fills up rather quick. Also anyone thinking of living at one of the University's apartments? They look like a good deal, I am just not sure how restrictive they are.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:58 am

robin600 wrote:It looks like I will be most likely attending school at Iowa. Even without scholarship money (I hope to get some since I'm above both medians though!) in state tuition for the 2nd and 3rd year with an RA position sound great. If william and mary pulls through, or W&L, I might have to re-think things. What is everyone doing about living situations? Also has anyone received partial scholly info yet?
I imagine lowish cost of living is a nice incentive too.

As for me, I haven't decided. Iowa is among my top four choices at the moment. I'll need to visit before making my mind up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:02 am

I asked for more specific info on the reimbursement for visiting Iowa this is what they sent me:
The University of Iowa College of Law is offering up to $300 in financial assistance to scholarship recipients who visit the law school and attend the Iowa Law School in the fall. Should you decide not to attend Iowa in the fall, you will not be reimbursed for your expenses.

Reimbursable expenses include:

Transportation -- air, bus, rail, rental car and taxi.

Rental Car: Reasonable rental charges for standard/midsize vehicles are allowed. Additional charges for upgrades are not reimbursable. If liability is not included is the rental price, this is a reimbursable expense. However, insurance coverage for personal effects (PAI), credit cards (PEC), or health/life insurance, etc., is not reimbursable. Upgrades of any type will not be reimbursed.

Bus/Rail: Upgrades of any type will not be reimbursed.

Commercial air: Travel should be by common carrier. Reimbursement is allowed for round-trip coach class fare. Travelers are expected to obtain the lowest available fare that reasonably meets their travel needs. Upgrades of any type will not be reimbursed.

Mileage -- incurred on personal automobile. The amount to be reimbursed is the shortest or most convenient route directly to and from your home to Iowa City and back again. The standard mileage reimbursement rate is $.285 per mile.

Lodging -- hotel/motel. The University will reimburse one room for one night during your stay in Iowa City. The maximum reimbursable amount for lodging is $140.

Receipts may be submitted at any point; however, reimbursements will be made in the form of a check only after matriculation in the fall ). Receipts can be dropped off in the Law School Admissions Office at 320 Melrose Avenue or mailed using certified mail to:

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:47 pm

robin600 wrote:It looks like I will be most likely attending school at Iowa. Even without scholarship money (I hope to get some since I'm above both medians though!) in state tuition for the 2nd and 3rd year with an RA position sound great. If william and mary pulls through, or W&L, I might have to re-think things. What is everyone doing about living situations? Also has anyone received partial scholly info yet?
It looks like I might be going there as well. Do they let us stay in dorms or do law students have to fend for themselves?

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:05 pm

jaskat wrote:
It looks like I might be going there as well. Do they let us stay in dorms or do law students have to fend for themselves?
I have no idea, would you stay in the undergrad dorms though? IDK if they have a specific grad student dorm, I'm guessing so. I'm still wondering about scholarship information, I'd really like some money to attend! Anyone else having a hard time choosing between two schools?

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:10 pm

I just called and they told me that law students do not get dorms, and that we do in fact have to get apartments. Now the big questions are: studio/ one bedroom or 2 bedroom with roommate? If the latter, where do you get said roommate?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ILoveClowns8

New

Post by ILoveClowns8 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:37 pm

My FAFSA was just received by the Office of Student Financial Aid, just need to do the IVF thing now.

As far as living, I have a few friends from Iowa City who are going to give me a hand finding a place. I'm probably going for a single studio, but depending on cost might go for a two or three bedroom with roommates. Having another roommate in law school would be nice, since we would have similar homework/study loads. I'm sure there is a way students who need/want roommates can communicate and work something out.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:56 pm

bhblack wrote:My FAFSA was just received by the Office of Student Financial Aid, just need to do the IVF thing now.

As far as living, I have a few friends from Iowa City who are going to give me a hand finding a place. I'm probably going for a single studio, but depending on cost might go for a two or three bedroom with roommates. Having another roommate in law school would be nice, since we would have similar homework/study loads. I'm sure there is a way students who need/want roommates can communicate and work something out.
I've looked at some of the older forums, and its quite normal for people to find roommates on here. If I end up going, which is likely, I might see if anyone is looking.

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:12 am

MoS wrote:
bhblack wrote:My FAFSA was just received by the Office of Student Financial Aid, just need to do the IVF thing now.

I've looked at some of the older forums, and its quite normal for people to find roommates on here. If I end up going, which is likely, I might see if anyone is looking.
Maybe we should start asking students who are interested to find roommates so we can organize a sort of meet-up at ASW. I know I'd definitely appreciate finding a roommate.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:39 am

The school may be able to provide a list of potential roommates too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”