IOWA 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
nyskidude

Bronze

Re: IOWA 2013

Post by nyskidude » Sat May 15, 2010 8:34 pm

I'm definitely interested (and probably going to pursue) the Innovation, Business, and Law program. It was actually one of the reasons why I am going to Iowa.

I'd also be up for stuff before law school. Anybody from the area already? I am moving in on July 1st, would love to meet up with somebody before ls starts.

ILoveClowns8

New

Post by ILoveClowns8 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:40 am

JOThompson wrote:
traehekat wrote:I'm diggin' the tar, JO.
Not going to lie, you inspired my new 'tar. :)
You inspired mine as well, in that I shamelessly stole it :wink:

Looks like we're going to have a great class, I look forward to enduring law school with all of you.

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Sun May 16, 2010 7:43 pm

bhblack wrote:You inspired mine as well, in that I shamelessly stole it :wink:

Looks like we're going to have a great class, I look forward to [strike]enduring[/strike] acing law school with all of you.
fixd.

Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Tue May 18, 2010 10:22 am

Will I be able to get decent housing if I start looking in late June? I'm WL'd at a ton of places, and I probably won't make a decision until then, and only then will I start looking for housing. Has anybody had problems finding a good place to live?

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Tue May 18, 2010 10:25 am

I'd check the list online first, if you are going to start that late, But there will be housing. it might just be further away or more expensive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Tue May 18, 2010 10:30 am

bhblack wrote:Looks like we're going to have a great class, I look forward to enduring law school with all of you.
Definitely. I can tell I'm going to be surrounded by cool classmates.
Will I be able to get decent housing if I start looking in late June? I'm WL'd at a ton of places, and I probably won't make a decision until then, and only then will I start looking for housing. Has anybody had problems finding a good place to live?
I only looked at Seville but they seemed to have plenty of availability. I get the impression that housing in Iowa City is cheap and plentiful, so I wouldn't worry too much about finding something in mid-June.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Tue May 18, 2010 10:44 am

Hey, just a thought for y'all. I found out about an alumni event in MPLS in July and will probably attend. I think it'll be a good way to get more opinions about Iowa, profs, tips, etc. Plus, it's good networking...

Other events are listed here

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue May 18, 2010 11:47 am

JOThompson wrote:
I only looked at Seville but they seemed to have plenty of availability. I get the impression that housing in Iowa City is cheap and plentiful, so I wouldn't worry too much about finding something in mid-June.
I actually just called Seville yesterday - 7 one bedrooms and 11 two bedrooms are left.

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Tue May 18, 2010 11:48 am

Just got back from a weekend in Iowa City. Looked for apartments, and I am pretty confident that there will be enough around up and through June, but they are bound to be pricier and not as good.

I thoroughly enjoyed the city though - surprisingly great food, the co-op is bad ass, and John's Grocery has a killer beer and wine selection. Also found a bar that plays soccer games...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Tue May 18, 2010 11:52 am

traehekat wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
I actually just called Seville yesterday - 7 one bedrooms and 11 two bedrooms are left.
Ack. I was beginning to think that I'd acted hastily by reserving my 1BR a couple weeks after the ASW. Still, I imagine there are some other good options available.

Jerome: Have you figured out your housing yet?

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 pm

JOThompson wrote:
traehekat wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
Ack. I was beginning to think that I'd acted hastily by reserving my 1BR a couple weeks after the ASW. Still, I imagine there are some other good options available.

Jerome: Have you figured out your housing yet?
In the process. Applied for a place on Saturday, and should hear back this week (my references and credit are solid, so I see no reason why I won't get the place).

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue May 18, 2010 1:06 pm

Where at Jerome?

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Tue May 18, 2010 1:17 pm

Jerome wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed the city though - surprisingly great food, the co-op is bad ass, and John's Grocery has a killer beer and wine selection. Also found a bar that plays soccer games...
Definitely all good to know!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Tue May 18, 2010 1:23 pm

traehekat wrote:Where at Jerome?
An apartment on N. Linn, in a house that was converted to 7 units. Pretty cool place. Far enough from downtown to avoid the undergrad party scene, but close enough to stumble back from bars.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue May 18, 2010 3:26 pm

Jerome wrote:
An apartment on N. Linn, in a house that was converted to 7 units. Pretty cool place. Far enough from downtown to avoid the undergrad party scene, but close enough to stumble back from bars.
Nice, I think that is about the same distance from Boyd as Seville, too.

On an unrelated note, my parents got me a 20 pack of Sharpie highlighters as a graduation gift. I don't know if I should be excited or depressed.

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:27 pm

So Seville is the place to be? What's the scoop? Mostly grad students? Party scene or more family-friendly?

Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Tue May 18, 2010 3:27 pm

Jerome wrote:
How far is it from the law school? Do you plan to walk, bike, or take the bus (not even sure if they have buses)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Tue May 18, 2010 4:10 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
Jerome wrote:
How far is it from the law school? Do you plan to walk, bike, or take the bus (not even sure if they have buses)?
It is across the river, about 1.5 miles. I will bike or bus. Drive on occasion when I sleep in too late.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue May 18, 2010 5:19 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:So Seville is the place to be? What's the scoop? Mostly grad students? Party scene or more family-friendly?
I think Seville is regarded as the unofficial law student housing, due to the fact it is close to Boyd. However, this doesn't mean there aren't a few undergraduates in the building as well. Since it is on the west side of the river, and thus a bit of a ways from the bars/restaurants, I think it tends to stay quiet. On the other hand, maybe students are more inclined to stay in their apartment and drink as opposed to going out to the bars because of the distance, so who knows. I've seen a few complaints online about the walls being a little thin, so you can take that for what its worth.

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Tue May 18, 2010 5:40 pm

Since there seems to be a lot of helpful answers to questions going around, I was wondering if anyone knew about internet/cable services in Iowa? I hear that the midwest has different companies than the east coast? If so, what is the best company and the best price?

lsatClay

New

Post by lsatClay » Tue May 18, 2010 6:55 pm

Where would people recommend I buy Iowa gear online? Just Sports, Lidz, etc. have been far from helpful, they don't even know what the logo looks like.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Tue May 18, 2010 7:32 pm

lsatClay wrote:Where would people recommend I buy Iowa gear online? Just Sports, Lidz, etc. have been far from helpful, they don't even know what the logo looks like.
You can try one of these, although I'm sure a local store like Iowa Book is much cheaper: http://www.hawkeyeplanet.com/WStore/WSt ... gwodAFJwKQ and http://www.footballfanatics.com/COLLEGE ... s_T-Shirts

I haven't yet discovered any online shops that carry Iowa law gear yet. Let me know if you find one :)

Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Tue May 18, 2010 7:37 pm

Iowa Law gear can be bought at the store inside the law school itself. I don't know if this pdf is up to date, but it is on the Iowa Law School website anyway.

http://www.law.uiowa.edu/documents/apparel.pdf

ILoveClowns8

New

Post by ILoveClowns8 » Tue May 18, 2010 7:38 pm

jaskat wrote:Since there seems to be a lot of helpful answers to questions going around, I was wondering if anyone knew about internet/cable services in Iowa? I hear that the midwest has different companies than the east coast? If so, what is the best company and the best price?
I believe Mediacom and Qwest are the two major internet service providers in Iowa City. My current ISP (in central Iowa) is Mediacom and they're pretty decent, $50/month for their highest speed in my area. I haven't looked into the pricing in Iowa City yet, but I imagine it is pretty comparable.

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Tue May 18, 2010 8:38 pm

bhblack wrote:
jaskat wrote:Since there seems to be a lot of helpful answers to questions going around, I was wondering if anyone knew about internet/cable services in Iowa? I hear that the midwest has different companies than the east coast? If so, what is the best company and the best price?
I believe Mediacom and Qwest are the two major internet service providers in Iowa City. My current ISP (in central Iowa) is Mediacom and they're pretty decent, $50/month for their highest speed in my area. I haven't looked into the pricing in Iowa City yet, but I imagine it is pretty comparable.
In Seville's most recent email to me (on "things I need to know before I arrive"), they mentioned Mediacom (for internet and cable) and/or Qwest (for internet and phone). Not sure of their prices though (but I'd imagine that bhblack's $50/month is probably a safe bet if you're trying to work out a budget).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”