IOWA 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Re: IOWA 2013

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Sun May 23, 2010 5:16 pm

What other apartment complexes are people looking at besides Seville? That seems to be the popular choice, but I think they'll be sold out of 1-bedrooms before, and if, I end up committing to Iowa.

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Sun May 23, 2010 5:54 pm

traehekat wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
traehekat wrote:
dt22 wrote:seville.

:)
Application was approved today. I'll be in building A - anyone else joining me there?
Congrats. What floor are you on?
Second.
im in F.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun May 23, 2010 8:04 pm

So I am having a minor freak out after checking my ISIS financial aid award notification. I guess they finished processing my IVF and whatnot and under Section C. Financial Aid it lists four separate awards - Stafford (Subsidized) Loan, Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, Law Scholarship, and Law Freshman Fellows. The Law Scholarship and Law Freshman Fellows awards total to the remaining cost of attendance after the Stafford Loans are considered, so I immediately assumed they were just the GradPlus Loans. But then the terminology kind of threw me off... like, scholarship? I wasn't awarded any scholarship, at least to my knowledge, so I am just wondering what the deal with this is and if anyone else who is supposedly paying sticker has this. Nowhere under under Section C. Financial Aid does it mention anything about GradPlus Loans.

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Sun May 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Are you sure you didn't get a scholarship? In any case, it's weird that there's no grad plus loan, but if the other things cover all your expenses then there's no problem, right? I would still say a nifty call to the financial aid office tomorrow is in order.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Sun May 23, 2010 9:32 pm

traehekat wrote:So I am having a minor freak out after checking my ISIS financial aid award notification. I guess they finished processing my IVF and whatnot and under Section C. Financial Aid it lists four separate awards - Stafford (Subsidized) Loan, Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, Law Scholarship, and Law Freshman Fellows. The Law Scholarship and Law Freshman Fellows awards total to the remaining cost of attendance after the Stafford Loans are considered, so I immediately assumed they were just the GradPlus Loans. But then the terminology kind of threw me off... like, scholarship? I wasn't awarded any scholarship, at least to my knowledge, so I am just wondering what the deal with this is and if anyone else who is supposedly paying sticker has this. Nowhere under under Section C. Financial Aid does it mention anything about GradPlus Loans.
I'm paying sticker and don't have any anything labeled "scholarship" under my package. Hopefully you got some monies!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Sun May 23, 2010 10:23 pm

I just wish they would finish processing mine.

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Mon May 24, 2010 10:26 am

traehekat wrote:So I am having a minor freak out after checking my ISIS financial aid award notification. I guess they finished processing my IVF and whatnot and under Section C. Financial Aid it lists four separate awards - Stafford (Subsidized) Loan, Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, Law Scholarship, and Law Freshman Fellows. The Law Scholarship and Law Freshman Fellows awards total to the remaining cost of attendance after the Stafford Loans are considered, so I immediately assumed they were just the GradPlus Loans. But then the terminology kind of threw me off... like, scholarship? I wasn't awarded any scholarship, at least to my knowledge, so I am just wondering what the deal with this is and if anyone else who is supposedly paying sticker has this. Nowhere under under Section C. Financial Aid does it mention anything about GradPlus Loans.
I'm gonna say you gots thes monies.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon May 24, 2010 11:06 am

I just received an email from them... apparently I gots som moniez. :D

Thanks everyone for your help, and I keep checking your financial aid stuff on ISIS because I guess they are still handing out scholarships. The email indicated the scholarship was awarded on May 19.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Mon May 24, 2010 11:15 am

traehekat wrote:I just received an email from them... apparently I gots som moniez. :D

Thanks everyone for your help, and I keep checking your financial aid stuff on ISIS because I guess they are still handing out scholarships. The email indicated the scholarship was awarded on May 19.
Would you mind sharing your numbers (or PM)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon May 24, 2010 11:25 am

Slimpee wrote:
traehekat wrote:I just received an email from them... apparently I gots som moniez. :D

164, 3.59.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Mon May 24, 2010 11:26 am

traehekat wrote:
Slimpee wrote:

164, 3.59.
Wow, i'm close to that! Like, one "+" away... :(

I can haz plz?

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Mon May 24, 2010 11:31 am

Congrats!

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Mon May 24, 2010 3:58 pm

May conga-rats be with you! :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Mon May 24, 2010 6:00 pm

While trying to apply for the PLUS loan, did anyone have the problem of the website saying that U of Iowa isn't accepting the 2010-2011 school year loan apps yet?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon May 24, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks again everyone. I received a letter in the mail today confirming everything. I don't know if they are handing these out on a case by case basis as funds become available, or if my award was part of a larger batch of scholarships that were send out recently. Either way, everyone be on the lookout for some mail from Iowa.

Very, very excited. I was SO close to not even depositing at Iowa after Wake Forest granted me a scholarship a few days before the deadline. I only deposited as a backup plan in case I changed my mind after visiting Wake Forest (which, of course, I did).

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Mon May 24, 2010 9:48 pm

Congrats! That is soooo awesome on multiple levels (like that you got it AND that there is still a slim chance I might get something).

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Mon May 24, 2010 11:27 pm

traehekat wrote:Thanks again everyone. I received a letter in the mail today confirming everything. I don't know if they are handing these out on a case by case basis as funds become available, or if my award was part of a larger batch of scholarships that were send out recently. Either way, everyone be on the lookout for some mail from Iowa.

Very, very excited. I was SO close to not even depositing at Iowa after Wake Forest granted me a scholarship a few days before the deadline. I only deposited as a backup plan in case I changed my mind after visiting Wake Forest (which, of course, I did).
That's fantastic! I hope that with my numbers close to yours that maybe i'll get some love, too!

Had you received your financial aid package prior and they amended it or was the scholly there from the beginning?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon May 24, 2010 11:44 pm

Slimpee wrote:
traehekat wrote:Thanks again everyone. I received a letter in the mail today confirming everything. I don't know if they are handing these out on a case by case basis as funds become available, or if my award was part of a larger batch of scholarships that were send out recently. Either way, everyone be on the lookout for some mail from Iowa.

That's fantastic! I hope that with my numbers close to yours that maybe i'll get some love, too!

Had you received your financial aid package prior and they amended it or was the scholly there from the beginning?
When the financial aid package finally went through (which was at the most a couple days ago) it was there, so no amendment or anything. They did say in the email that a "revised award letter was processed with your reduced loans and scholarship," so it sounds like they are probably revising or amending some packages. It just so happened I did my IVF form late so when it finally went through it reflected the scholarship.

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Tue May 25, 2010 4:31 pm

Before I hit up Iowa's pdf, anyone on here actively looking for a roommate? I've pretty much made my decision to attend (barring some very strange circumstances). I know Seville has some 2 bedrooms left. Feel free to PM.

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Tue May 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:What other apartment complexes are people looking at besides Seville? That seems to be the popular choice, but I think they'll be sold out of 1-bedrooms before, and if, I end up committing to Iowa.
I was told today that 1 bedrooms in the Benton area are pretty much gone.

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:48 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:What other apartment complexes are people looking at besides Seville? That seems to be the popular choice, but I think they'll be sold out of 1-bedrooms before, and if, I end up committing to Iowa.
I was told today that 1 bedrooms in the Benton area are pretty much gone.
fyi...when i was visiting seville, i was surprised to see how many other apt buildings are right across from it...there were at least 2 other properties. don't know the company name. one of them is super pricey, the other - don't know; could be another option for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lsatClay

New

Post by lsatClay » Wed May 26, 2010 1:46 pm

I was looking at this place.
http://www.assurancepm.com/about/hillsboro
Hillsboro Apts. Seems cheap and decent, and they have nine one bedrooms left, according to their web-site. Of course, you have to think "why do they have nine left when everybody else is sold out?"

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:12 pm

lsatClay wrote:I was looking at this place.
Hillsboro Apts. Seems cheap and decent, and they have nine one bedrooms left, according to their web-site. Of course, you have to think "why do they have nine left when everybody else is sold out?"
yep, exactly the 2 places i saw right by seville

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed May 26, 2010 2:18 pm

lsatClay wrote:I was looking at this place.
Have you seen the apartments in person? It always worries me when I can't find picture of the apartments online, but otherwise it seems like a pretty reasonable price plus a good location.

theghostofDrewTate

New

Post by theghostofDrewTate » Wed May 26, 2010 2:30 pm

My buddy lived in Hillsoboro 1L year - they are fine. All the apartments in that price range are pretty much the same. You're not getting granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances or anything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”