IOWA 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
traehekat

Gold

Re: IOWA 2013

Post by traehekat » Tue May 18, 2010 9:17 pm

thepcv wrote:
bhblack wrote:
jaskat wrote:Since there seems to be a lot of helpful answers to questions going around, I was wondering if anyone knew about internet/cable services in Iowa? I hear that the midwest has different companies than the east coast? If so, what is the best company and the best price?
I believe Mediacom and Qwest are the two major internet service providers in Iowa City. My current ISP (in central Iowa) is Mediacom and they're pretty decent, $50/month for their highest speed in my area. I haven't looked into the pricing in Iowa City yet, but I imagine it is pretty comparable.
In Seville's most recent email to me (on "things I need to know before I arrive"), they mentioned Mediacom (for internet and cable) and/or Qwest (for internet and phone). Not sure of their prices though (but I'd imagine that bhblack's $50/month is probably a safe bet if you're trying to work out a budget).
Mediacom offers cable or internet for $50/month, or both for $80/month, I believe.

Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Wed May 19, 2010 9:55 am

Who here is going to Iowa from fellow Big Ten schools? I'm excited about football Saturdays, and I bet anybody who went to Big Ten football Saturdays in college is excited, as well.

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Wed May 19, 2010 10:46 am

Just got word on the apartment - signing the lease this week. Now all that is left is figuring out what size truck I need to move all my crap...

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed May 19, 2010 11:16 am

Jerome wrote:Just got word on the apartment - signing the lease this week. Now all that is left is figuring out what size truck I need to move all my crap...
Congrats, Jerome. Let me know if you find any good deals for trucks. I'll be making a similarly long trip from Oregon in late July.

On an unrelated note, I spoke with the financial aid office today. If you need loan money for laptop increases, you can't apply for the funds until fall term starts. I might be taking notes by hand for a few days :P
Last edited by JOThompson on Wed May 19, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Wed May 19, 2010 11:18 am

JOThompson wrote:
Jerome wrote:Just got word on the apartment - signing the lease this week. Now all that is left is figuring out what size truck I need to move all my crap...
Congrats, Jerome. Let me know if you find any good deals for trucks. I'll be making a similarly long trip from Oregon in late July.
I did the OR to CO move, and helped with (eg: did) my fiance's move from OR to Indiana. It is oh so much fun. Enjoy Nebraska.

Also, I think Penske is far better than U-Haul, at least in my limited experience. When do you think you'll move?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed May 19, 2010 11:22 am

Jerome wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
I did the OR to CO move, and helped with (eg: did) my fiance's move from OR to Indiana. It is oh so much fun. Enjoy Nebraska.

Also, I think Penske is far better than U-Haul, at least in my limited experience. When do you think you'll move?
I'm leaning toward Penske. My other friends have also found Penske to be better for long moves. My family always used U-Haul, but our experiences were never stellar so I'm ready for a change, I guess.

My lease starts on August 1st, so I'll probably need to start driving by like July 26th.

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Wed May 19, 2010 11:35 am

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:Who here is going to Iowa from fellow Big Ten schools? I'm excited about football Saturdays, and I bet anybody who went to Big Ten football Saturdays in college is excited, as well.
Coming from the SEC. Still, excited :P

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Wed May 19, 2010 11:50 am

JOThompson wrote:My lease starts on August 1st, so I'll probably need to start driving by like July 26th.
I'd suggest three days of driving. Day 1: PDX to Shitsville, Utah (aka Snowville) or thereabouts. Day 2: Snowville (or thereabouts) to Cheyenne, WY, or western Nebraska. Day 3: WY/NE top Iowa City (10 or so hours). Depending on your schedule, I'll be in Nothern Colorado, and will buy you a beer if you're in town.

I'm thinking some people may need some moving help when we get into town - I'll be around if anyone needs extra hands.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed May 19, 2010 11:56 am

Jerome wrote:
JOThompson wrote:My lease starts on August 1st, so I'll probably need to start driving by like July 26th.
I'd suggest three days of driving. Day 1: PDX to Shitsville, Utah (aka Snowville) or thereabouts. Day 2: Snowville (or thereabouts) to Cheyenne, WY, or western Nebraska. Day 3: WY/NE top Iowa City (10 or so hours). Depending on your schedule, I'll be in Nothern Colorado, and will buy you a beer if you're in town.

I'm thinking some people may need some moving help when we get into town - I'll be around if anyone needs extra hands.
I'll try that itinerary, thanks. I'll let you know if I pass through your neck of the woods.

I'm happy to help people move their stuff too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lsatClay

New

Post by lsatClay » Wed May 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Just got my apartment in Seville.

BTW I found this sports shop through the Universities athletics dept., for people interested in online gear.
http://www.hawkshop.com/

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed May 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Cool, which complex are you in? I think I'm assigned to #C.

Thanks for the link. I ordered a free catalog. I'll be thumbing eagerly through it, getting ready to squander all my money on Iowa gear.

lsatClay

New

Post by lsatClay » Wed May 19, 2010 4:06 pm

Complex D. first floor though :(

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed May 19, 2010 9:44 pm

I'm sending in my application for a one bedroom at Seville in the next day or so. I just got back from visiting again and it was a pretty nice day to do some walking around. I checked out Dolphin Lake just for fun, and for anyone interested in there I have to warn you that it is (a) very far from campus and the law building itself and (b) pretty run down (at the least the old apartments are, the new ones are okay but are way overpriced).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Wed May 19, 2010 11:14 pm

I'm living at a place in University Heights. Just barely a mile from the law school, in the Grandview Court complexes. Hoping it is a great place.

theghostofDrewTate

New

Post by theghostofDrewTate » Thu May 20, 2010 9:31 am

nyskidude wrote:I'm living at a place in University Heights. Just barely a mile from the law school, in the Grandview Court complexes. Hoping it is a great place.
Word to the wise - do NOT speed in University Heights. Not even 1 mile per hour over. Always wear your seat belt. The town has very low property taxes because they fund their limited services primarily through speeding, seatbelt and rolling stops through stop sign tickets. I always drove about 20 mph whenever I was in UH.

theghostofDrewTate

New

Post by theghostofDrewTate » Thu May 20, 2010 9:32 am

lsatClay wrote:Just got my apartment in Seville.

BTW I found this sports shop through the Universities athletics dept., for people interested in online gear.
http://www.hawkshop.com/
I haven't read the whole thread, but if you want Hawk gear go to Universitees in the mall. You can three t-shirts for $19 or something ridiculous like that.

theghostofDrewTate

New

Post by theghostofDrewTate » Thu May 20, 2010 9:42 am

Yacht_Party wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:Who here is going to Iowa from fellow Big Ten schools? I'm excited about football Saturdays, and I bet anybody who went to Big Ten football Saturdays in college is excited, as well.
You'll like watching Iowa football. They've destroyed almost every team from the southeast they've played during the Ferentz era, yet the media "experts" still don't give them any love. I can only remember one loss to a southeastern school in the Ferentz era and that was in a doozy of a game against Florida where it was later revealed one of the officials was a Florida alum. I don't know, maybe I'm biased, but I think the first 5 minutes of this video speaks for itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vRYakQgkI

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu May 20, 2010 10:20 am

I will certainly go to games. And I will cheer for Iowa and its fantastic offense. And I will tailgate.

But, when it comes to football, there's only one thing y'all need to know:

And who knows, with all of this expansion talk I may get a chance to wear some red at an Iowa game!

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Thu May 20, 2010 11:08 am

theghostofDrewTate wrote:
Yacht_Party wrote:
You'll like watching Iowa football. They've destroyed almost every team from the southeast they've played during the Ferentz era, yet the media "experts" still don't give them any love. I can only remember one loss to a southeastern school in the Ferentz era and that was in a doozy of a game against Florida where it was later revealed one of the officials was a Florida alum. I don't know, maybe I'm biased, but I think the first 5 minutes of this video speaks for itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vRYakQgkI
Yeah...yikes. I remember watching that game. Pretty cringe-worthy.

theghostofDrewTate

New

Post by theghostofDrewTate » Thu May 20, 2010 11:52 am

Slimpee wrote:I will certainly go to games. And I will cheer for Iowa and its fantastic offense. And I will tailgate.

But, when it comes to football, there's only one thing y'all need to know:

And who knows, with all of this expansion talk I may get a chance to wear some red at an Iowa game!
Look pal, just give it time, soon you will understand why those who understand college football say "The real blackshirts live in Iowa City." Who knows, maybe your Huskers will be able to beat the Clowns this year. I'd love another series against the Huskers, but they have been reluctant to schedule us ever since we got decent again. I think it has potential to be a good rivalry.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu May 20, 2010 12:33 pm

theghostofDrewTate wrote:
Look pal, just give it time, soon you will understand why those who understand college football say "The real blackshirts live in Iowa City." Who knows, maybe your Huskers will be able to beat the Clowns this year. I'd love another series against the Huskers, but they have been reluctant to schedule us ever since we got decent again. I think it has potential to be a good rivalry.
With all due respect, this is hogwash. The Blackshirts are Nebraska.

I would love a series against Iowa. Good fans. Decent tradition (at least on Nebraska's side :lol: ) If they played during this upcoming season it would be quite a game...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:37 pm

Officially withdrew from Iowa today. Am kind of sad about it actually. Alas, I shall be at Illinois in the fall. Good luck, everyone!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu May 20, 2010 4:14 pm

webbylu87 wrote:Officially withdrew from Iowa today. Am kind of sad about it actually. Alas, I shall be at Illinois in the fall. Good luck, everyone!
Good luck to you too.

mshflyer

New

Post by mshflyer » Thu May 20, 2010 6:02 pm

new bedroom set anyone? hahah

theghostofDrewTate

New

Post by theghostofDrewTate » Thu May 20, 2010 8:42 pm

mshflyer wrote:new bedroom set anyone? hahah

Hey slimpee - see that narrow bed? Good luck finding a Nebraska coed small enough to fit on that thing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”