IOWA 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
traehekat

Gold

Re: IOWA 2013

Post by traehekat » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:55 am

JOThompson wrote:I'm still reading at 3:52AM here.
Good GOD. I have about 10 pages I'm going to do between classes.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:06 am

I've gone to bed no later than 12:30. But I also haven't finished all of the reading. If i'm tired during the day I just can't concentrate. I figure I want to be well-rested for the start of classes...

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Hello Hello,

I'm not a student at Iowa, but one of your old professors is teaching my contracts class this fall at my school. My problem is we have no test on file for the teacher, and i would like to know if one of you 0l/1l/2ls has access to your schools exam database so i can get her old exams. My librarians wont help me out. :(

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Oban wrote:Hello Hello,

I'm not a student at Iowa, but one of your old professors is teaching my contracts class this fall at my school. My problem is we have no test on file for the teacher, and i would like to know if one of you 0l/1l/2ls has access to your schools exam database so i can get her old exams. My librarians wont help me out. :(
PM'd

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:03 pm

JOThompson wrote:A lot of students are taking this week as a chance to build study habits that will serve them well throughout the semester. I figure it's better to screw up now than later in the term when we receive binding grades.
I'm giving the readings a fair amount of attention. Balancing a) the fact that this class is, on paper, worthless, and b) the idea that familiarizing yourself with the material and different methods for understanding it (notes etc.) will benefit you in real class, is key. I think that had I skimmed every reading without any notes/prep during orientation, I'd be a little lost come Tuesday (when prepping would be more important). Or at least further behind in figuring out what works and what doesn't work for me in regard to understanding the material.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:
JOThompson wrote:A lot of students are taking this week as a chance to build study habits that will serve them well throughout the semester. I figure it's better to screw up now than later in the term when we receive binding grades.
I'm giving the readings a fair amount of attention. Balancing a) the fact that this class is, on paper, worthless, and b) the idea that familiarizing yourself with the material and different methods for understanding it (notes etc.) will benefit you in real class, is key. I think that had I skimmed every reading without any notes/prep during orientation, I'd be a little lost come Tuesday (when prepping would be more important). Or at least further behind in figuring out what works and what doesn't work for me in regard to understanding the material.
Yeah, I agree there is definitely a benefit to kind of getting an organization system down in how you want to brief cases (if at all) and just getting used to the kind of reading and attention that is necessary.

Anyone remember hearing if the exam for orientation is curved? I know it is still pass/fail, but I thought I remember hearing that they still place you somewhere on a curve so you can see kind of where you fall in relation to everyone else. Anyone else remember hearing this?

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:25 pm

Yeah I heard they score it, then tell you the percentile of that score. No idea if it's a bell curve or whatever.

Ryna22

New

Post by Ryna22 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:43 pm

Why aren't many assignments posted?? I have only one (LAWR)....all others got nothin'....If we are expected to have stuff prepared for tuesday, it should be up sooneeeer (not that i want to do it now; it's the principle)

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:10 pm

Yacht_Party wrote:Yeah I heard they score it, then tell you the percentile of that score. No idea if it's a bell curve or whatever.
If I heard our teacher (Bauer) correctly, passing students receive a high, middle, or low score.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:36 pm

JOThompson wrote:
Yacht_Party wrote:Yeah I heard they score it, then tell you the percentile of that score. No idea if it's a bell curve or whatever.
If I heard our teacher (Bauer) correctly, passing students receive a high, middle, or low score.
Silly, IMO.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:54 pm

JOThompson wrote:
That's the only thing I have heard.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:20 pm

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Not that I think we really need it. Avoiding sudden collapse will probably be sufficient...

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:10 am

traehekat wrote:Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Not that I think we really need it. Avoiding sudden collapse will probably be sufficient...
Dude, we're money!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:15 pm

Posting this here for people who aren't in the Facebook loop:
PHIDS Beginning of the Year Party!

Today at 8:00pm - Tomorrow at 2:00am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location Hawkeye Hideaway
310 East Prentiss Street
Iowa City, IA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Created By Phi Delta Phi: University of Iowa

More Info Time: 8:00 p.m. to close

FREE FOOD!
FREE PARKING!
NO COVER!

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:40 pm

JOThompson wrote:Posting this here for people who aren't in the Facebook loop:
PHIDS Beginning of the Year Party!

Today at 8:00pm - Tomorrow at 2:00am

Location Hawkeye Hideaway
310 East Prentiss Street
Iowa City, IA

Created By Phi Delta Phi: University of Iowa

More Info Time: 8:00 p.m. to close

FREE FOOD!
FREE PARKING!
NO COVER!
Appreciated. Facebook locked me out last year, and I never really made an effort at a second one.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:41 pm

After hearing the doom and gloom speech by the C&F guy, I think that's probably a blessing in disguise.

Good seeing you today for a couple seconds near the soccer field.

Undergradut

New

Post by Undergradut » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:04 pm

From a couple of different sources, I heard that 1L's are given a tour of the library.

Does anyone know if this is true? And if so, when the tour is?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:10 pm

Undergradut wrote:From a couple of different sources, I heard that 1L's are given a tour of the library.

Haven't heard this, although there was a tour given at admitted students day...

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:30 pm

traehekat wrote:
Undergradut wrote:From a couple of different sources, I heard that 1L's are given a tour of the library.

Haven't heard this, although there was a tour given at admitted students day...
There wasn't a library tour scheduled for orientation AFAIK. I imagine you could request one though.

kazootey

New

Post by kazootey » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:35 pm

I am trying to log on to Westlaw online to register for my LAWR class, but for the life of me I can't get the website to come up. The connection times out before I can get to it. Every other website works just fine. Is anybody else having trouble logging on?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:45 pm

kazootey wrote:I am trying to log on to Westlaw online to register for my LAWR class, but for the life of me I can't get the website to come up. The connection times out before I can get to it. Every other website works just fine. Is anybody else having trouble logging on?
I didn't know we had to do such a thing. Who do you have for LAWR?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kazootey

New

Post by kazootey » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:47 pm

Slimpee wrote:
kazootey wrote:I am trying to log on to Westlaw online to register for my LAWR class, but for the life of me I can't get the website to come up. The connection times out before I can get to it. Every other website works just fine. Is anybody else having trouble logging on?
I didn't know we had to do such a thing. Who do you have for LAWR?
I dont know if it's for everyone, but I have Schweer. There was a posting on the assignment board saying to go on TWEN on the Westlaw site, and register there and check the assignments. Still can't log on.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:29 pm

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:52 pm

haha i saw this the other day. sooo funny.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:22 pm

yo, anyone figure out how to forward email from your iowa address to gmail? im horrible with this stuff...

edit: nvm, i thiiink i got it. the email finally went through recognizing the change, although apparently messages sent from other hawkmail accounts will be sent to my hawkmail account and will not be forwarded to gmail.

that doesn't seem very useful...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”