Colorado Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
KmissP

Bronze

Re: Colorado Class of 2013

Post by KmissP » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:43 pm

doza wrote:Hey everyone! I'm new here, but I just came across this thread. I'm still deciding between a couple schools (and haven't heard from back from two of them), but I'm strongly leaning towards CU. It's awesome to connect with other (potential) future classmates! Are any of you going to the open house on Friday? I'll be there, and it would be great meet up! :)
I'll be there! PM me if you want to meet up.

snoboarder

New

Post by snoboarder » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Hey all, I'm also somewhat new here. I've been reading the boards for a while but this is the first I'm actually bothering to write...

Anway, I had been waffling between UC Hastings and CU, but after their performance in the 2011 rankings, I've pretty much settled on CU. They also have a pretty solid IP program.

Of course, I'm coming from Detroit, so I'm having issues figuring out the housing situation. I don't feel comfortable with craigslist because I don't want to take the risk of signing a lease not affiliated with the school without at least seeing the place first.

Is there an apartment complex where 1Ls usually live? Some other schools actually have dedicated law student housing, but CU doesn't as far as I can tell...
What are the options? Also, what's with this ralphieslist situation? Anyone use it?

Any other out of staters here?

rekopter

New

Post by rekopter » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:00 pm

snoboarder wrote:Hey all, I'm also somewhat new here. I've been reading the boards for a while but this is the first I'm actually bothering to write...

Anway, I had been waffling between UC Hastings and CU, but after their performance in the 2011 rankings, I've pretty much settled on CU.
This is a really bad reason to choose CU over Hastings (or Hastings over CU). We are peer schools and for the foreseeable future we will be. The rankings change every year but there is little difference between the two in terms of student body and educational quality.
snoboarder wrote:They also have a pretty solid IP program.
Not sure where you're getting this from, but it's not really true.

snoboarder wrote:Of course, I'm coming from Detroit, so I'm having issues figuring out the housing situation. I don't feel comfortable with craigslist because I don't want to take the risk of signing a lease not affiliated with the school without at least seeing the place first.

Is there an apartment complex where 1Ls usually live? Some other schools actually have dedicated law student housing, but CU doesn't as far as I can tell...
What are the options? Also, what's with this ralphieslist situation? Anyone use it?

Any other out of staters here?
Plenty of housing discussion in the CU threads. See: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =7&t=96942; http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =4&t=96382

snoboarder

New

Post by snoboarder » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:36 pm

This is a really bad reason to choose CU over Hastings (or Hastings over CU). We are peer schools and for the foreseeable future we will be. The rankings change every year but there is little difference between the two in terms of student body and educational quality.
Oh I know its not really a great deciding factor. It just kinda makes me feel better about choosing CU. I was already leaning this direction because hastings is in a dicey part of san francisco. Also CU is quite a bit cheaper.

on the IP thing, I wasn't really clear. It's got a comparable program to hastings, also CU has a fairly respectable tech law journal.

rekopter

New

Post by rekopter » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:47 pm

CU is cheaper.

Do you know where you want to live after you graduate? If CA -> Hastings. If mountain west -> CU. If other parts of the country, we're pretty comparable and $$$ is an important consideration.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:45 am

I just got a pretty important communique from CU regarding my scholarship. I guess they have decided that I no longer have a first name and will be solely referred to by my last name. This is just another act of unprofessional/sloppy/unorganized conduct and I believe we now have a trend. I don't want to be upset by this, but seriously... they can't even do the little things right?

martin024

New

Post by martin024 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:56 am

the lantern wrote: I just got a pretty important communique from CU regarding my scholarship. I guess they have decided that I no longer have a first name and will be solely referred to by my last name. This is just another act of unprofessional/sloppy/unorganized conduct and I believe we now have a trend. I don't want to be upset by this, but seriously... they can't even do the little things right?
Dude, chill out and be happy you have a scholly.

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:20 pm

the lantern wrote:I just got a pretty important communique from CU regarding my scholarship. I guess they have decided that I no longer have a first name and will be solely referred to by my last name. This is just another act of unprofessional/sloppy/unorganized conduct and I believe we now have a trend. I don't want to be upset by this, but seriously... they can't even do the little things right?
They just called you "Lantern"?

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:58 am

Yeah I don't know why I got bent out of shape about this. I, unfortunately, have a last name that could be a first name, so it happens quite often.

I was going to try to engineeer some sort of history Ph D joint program if they would let me, but after some research, I found out CU only has European history, so I guess I'll just do the JD only. Oh well :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:16 am

I was wondering if you had some sort of ambiguous name or something. Also, the fields in the letters sometimes get messed up and they don't catch it. We'll have lots of fun at CU Law, and when I figure out who you are, I promise to call you strictly by your last name. :*)

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:20 pm

Nah its normal for people to do it, it just caught me off guard and the news they were giving me wasn't exactly good :) (I recently was told I can get in-state tuition, and bc of this they lowered my scholarship). I can't wait... I called Housing Helpers about getting a place and I should have something within a week or two, planning on moving out in July then :)

yellowfin

New

Post by yellowfin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:08 pm

the lantern wrote:I was going to try to engineeer some sort of history Ph D joint program if they would let me, but after some research, I found out CU only has European history, so I guess I'll just do the JD only. Oh well :(
CU's history department has a lot more than just European history.

Currently, the only scholarly journal affiliated with the CU's history department is Diplomatic History. It's edited by Robert Schulzinger, who (from what I've heard) is somewhat of a big shot in US diplomatic history and recent US history. (see here (LinkRemoved))

The most prominent CU history professor is Patricia Limerick, who is huge in the field of western American history.

There are actually more professors at CU doing US history than European history, but only by one. (see here (LinkRemoved))

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Sorry, I know they have US and European stuff. I am interested in Latin America, primarily Brazil.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yellowfin

New

Post by yellowfin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:56 pm

CU doesn't have much in the way of Latin American history: 3 professors total. You could do it, but it's probably not a strong program.

CU Law allows you to take up to 6 graduate credit hours (2 courses) outside the law school, provided that those courses are "law-related". My impression from talking to Dean Jackson is that the the law school is fairly lenient with the notion of "law-related", but anyone interested would be wise to double check that.

So you could take some graduate level courses in history (or philosophy or whatever you're interested in) and it would count toward your JD.

See rule 3-2-7 (LinkRemoved) and miscellaneous rule 22 (LinkRemoved) for more details.

See you in the fall.

J24Cash

New

Post by J24Cash » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:43 pm

Just got confirmation that my deposit was received yesterday. I'm very excited to be heading to Boulder in August.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:20 am

the lantern wrote:but seriously... they can't even do the little things right?
Speaking of ... anybody else -- who filled out FAFSA pre-February -- still not seen their Financial Aid package yet???

Yeah, yeah. New database. Extended deposit deadline until today. But still.

Also, they haven't responded to a couple e-mails about this, and a previous e-mail attempt took too many tries to get a response as well. ... I love Colorado and CU -- though I'll probably wind up elsewhere, sadly -- but I'm pretty PO'd by their inability to communicate with folks who are willing to give them $120,000+.

I guess I just have to be a grown up and make a phone call??

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:32 am

I have received a letter saying how much aid I will be offered, but I think it was just a preliminary letter and subject to change (or something). All I know is it was very unofficial and I didn't have to respond or anything.

I'm going to CU regardless, but it makes me pretty upset that the administration is clearly falling flat on its face regarding admissions. No one knows what is going on and everything takes forever. You might think that little things like this don't matter, but these things really really do. I'm just hoping that there is a really good reason that they're having so many problems and that I won't be dealing with a hapless administration for years to come...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:46 am

Hell, I'd take a preliminary estimate. Or just a response to my query saying, no, sorry: You'll just have to either put down a deposit w/o seeing finaid or lose your seat.

Mostly, I just want to know in case something wild happened with my financial aid. I'm 105% sure nothing did (so I'd be looking at sticker), and I'm 99% sure I'm headed to Davis. But if it weren't for SO, I'd be CU-bound from the second I opened my acceptance packet in early February. This kind of mess does make it a little less difficult, I guess.

Eh. Maybe it's mostly sour grapes over not being able to attend. Hope y'all enjoy a great 3 years in a good school and a great location. Good luck.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Wed May 05, 2010 5:14 pm

Anyone doing a dual degree program? I am really really considering the JD/Ph. D in Environmental Studies. I'm going to contact the school tomorrow and see if I can get in touch with someone who is currently doing that program (if anyone is).

adora

Bronze

Post by adora » Thu May 06, 2010 2:35 pm

So...today I got an email saying that I can view my financial aid award online...problem is, they haven't sent me any login info or a student id...has anyone gotten login info or a student id yet?

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Thu May 06, 2010 2:41 pm

adora wrote:So...today I got an email saying that I can view my financial aid award online...problem is, they haven't sent me any login info or a student id...has anyone gotten login info or a student id yet?
lol, this exact thing just happened to me. I just searched all my old emails and went through all my snail mail from CU but haven't found a student ID yet. I sent them an email, but who knows when they will get back to me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dgsaudio

New

Post by dgsaudio » Thu May 06, 2010 3:32 pm

the lantern wrote:
adora wrote:So...today I got an email saying that I can view my financial aid award online...problem is, they haven't sent me any login info or a student id...has anyone gotten login info or a student id yet?
lol, this exact thing just happened to me. I just searched all my old emails and went through all my snail mail from CU but haven't found a student ID yet. I sent them an email, but who knows when they will get back to me.

I've been playing with the system for the last hour or so. I've been able to register for an identikey login and a password, so I have access to email and general stuff, but haven't been able to login to myCUinfo, which is where the finaid stuff is. It said my account is not provisioned. I sent an email to IT, we'll see what they say.

Go here to set up your identikey, you'll need your CUID to do it. I had to email the law admissions office to get my CUID.

http://www.colorado.edu/its/docs/accoun ... tikey.html

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Thu May 06, 2010 4:39 pm

I got my CUID in an email a little while ago. I got my identikey and logged in to financial aid and I have no options. It says I need to contact someone else and blah blah blah. I guess it doesn't really matter but man they fail so hard.

Tuski

New

Post by Tuski » Wed May 12, 2010 12:50 pm

I also contacted IT last week after getting the Account Not Provisioned message, and they acted like they'd never heard of such a thing. :roll: They were supposed to get back to me by Monday at 1:00, which they never did.

I contacted Financial Aid again yesterday and was told that graduate students aren't set up yet to view/accept financial aid online, and "please contact our office at a later date to find out how to view/accept/decline your award." :|

They were able to tell me what amounts/types of loans they were offering me (but that number did not include my scholarship? So I assume that's still preliminary). Not particularly helpful, but there you go.
Last edited by Tuski on Mon May 17, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Thu May 13, 2010 12:50 am

Tuski wrote:I also contacted IT last week after getting the Account Not Provisioned message, and they acted like they'd never heard of such a thing. :roll: They were supposed to get back to me by Monday at 1:00, which they never did.

I contacted Financial Aid again yesterday and was told that graduate students aren't set up yet to view/accept financial aid online, and "please contact our office at a later date to find out how to view/accept/decline your award." :|

They were able to tell me what amounts/types of loans they were offering me (but that number did not include scholarship? So I assume that's still preliminary). Not particularly helpful, but there you go.
Main campus is transferring everything from the old online system (which was terrible, but worked) to a new online system (which is both terrible and doesn't work), which basically means that everything online is totally fucked up. The law school registrar - Cindy Gibbons (a.k.a., the person who actually makes everything work at the law school) - ended up having to register us all for fall classes by hand.

Financial Aid is also lying to you. The system might not yet be available for incoming grad students (I have no idea), but we existing law students can totally accept/decline/whatever our financial aid awards.

Main campus IT will never get back to you about anything, ever, unless you get to them through the law school IT department.

Scholarships always come through at the last possible minute, so don't worry if yours hasn't shown up yet. It probably won't until sometime in August.

If you ever have to deal with main campus (which is code for "anything not the law school"), shit just turns into an unimaginable pain in the ass. CU is seriously the worst-run bureaucratic operation on the face of the Earth (along with every other state agency in Colorado). Unfortunately, you guys are all at the point where you actually have to deal with main campus to get stuff done.

Fortunately, come August, you will actually be 1Ls, and will have access to the law school financial aid department, the law school registrar, the law school IT department, etc., and everything will actually work.

-Pufer

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”