Colorado Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
the lantern

Bronze

Re: Colorado Class of 2013

Post by the lantern » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:52 pm

BroncoHawkeye wrote:
the lantern wrote:Have you received more information on this? I have only heard about this from my acceptance letter, but I already booked a flight and stuff. Did you just call them and say you were coming or did they actually send you something with more information? Thanks.
Yea they sent me something in an e-mail about it awhile back, all you have to do is call or send an e-mail to the address on this invitation. I'll post the link with all the details, and you may need to log into the admitted student portal, but this should take you straight there: --LinkRemoved--
Ha... this rang a bell in my mind, then I remembered that I skimmed that particular letter regarding the admitted students site. Took me a bit to find the letter on my desk, but I should have it all squared away now! Thanks!

Man.. I just started reading this 1L handbook.. Some professors do not allow laptops. I was holding out hope that going to CU would spare me from this idiocy. I haven't written anything by hand other than a handful of exams in the last few years... So help me god if I get one of these profs...

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:55 pm

After receiving the scholarship offer, I am sending in my deposit tomorrow!

BroncoHawkeye

New

Post by BroncoHawkeye » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:20 pm

the lantern wrote:After receiving the scholarship offer, I am sending in my deposit tomorrow!
Yea, I'd already sent my confirmation and deposit, but the scholarship stuff last week didn't hurt at all. I can't believe I still have two months of undergrad left. I'm ready to get this whole law school thing going!

dgsaudio

New

Post by dgsaudio » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Hey! Do any of you locals have any advice for housing for an old married dude? My wife is a nurse and will work crazy hours i'm sure, so we need someplace quiet and mature - I was thinking maybe the university family housing? Old buildings, I know, but probably our best bet for proximity and peace & quiet. Any other ideas?

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:05 pm

If you can get into family housing, I think it's a pretty decent place. I had some friends who lived there a while back. You probably just want to stay off the hill, out of Goss Grove, and check out the place (and the neighbors) before you commit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ja57047

New

Post by ja57047 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:03 pm

I went to the ASD on friday and I really enjoyed it. Great location, great facilities, great faculty, great students.

Any thoughts?

crimsonred

New

Post by crimsonred » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:06 pm

dgsaudio wrote:Hey! Do any of you locals have any advice for housing for an old married dude? My wife is a nurse and will work crazy hours i'm sure, so we need someplace quiet and mature - I was thinking maybe the university family housing? Old buildings, I know, but probably our best bet for proximity and peace & quiet. Any other ideas?
Family housing (Newton Court, Athens Court) will be the best bet. Its very cheap if you consider the location, and you pay all your bills at one place. So no running around here and there. The only problem (for me, I'm a grad student living in Newton Court) is that you're not allowed to make noise after 9. Which is stupid because I've been warned for coming down the stairs too loud. But the admin is good and if you have any problems, they take care of it right-away. And the houses don't feel that old.

If you want something closer to the law school, then check out apartments close to Table Mesa and Broadway, Baseline and Broadway and on the Hill. Though these might be more expensive (except on Table Mesa) and noisy (the Hill especially), you'll be within walking distance to the law school with good connectivity with buses.

Does anyone else have any questions on Boulder, I can surely answer. I've also taken a few law courses so I know a bit about the law school. Love the building, my favorite in the whole campus. The view of the flatirons is just amazing!

dgsaudio

New

Post by dgsaudio » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:16 pm

crimsonred wrote:
dgsaudio wrote:Hey! Do any of you locals have any advice for housing for an old married dude? My wife is a nurse and will work crazy hours i'm sure, so we need someplace quiet and mature - I was thinking maybe the university family housing? Old buildings, I know, but probably our best bet for proximity and peace & quiet. Any other ideas?
Family housing (Newton Court, Athens Court) will be the best bet. Its very cheap if you consider the location, and you pay all your bills at one place. So no running around here and there. The only problem (for me, I'm a grad student living in Newton Court) is that you're not allowed to make noise after 9. Which is stupid because I've been warned for coming down the stairs too loud. But the admin is good and if you have any problems, they take care of it right-away. And the houses don't feel that old.

If you want something closer to the law school, then check out apartments close to Table Mesa and Broadway, Baseline and Broadway and on the Hill. Though these might be more expensive (except on Table Mesa) and noisy (the Hill especially), you'll be within walking distance to the law school with good connectivity with buses.

Does anyone else have any questions on Boulder, I can surely answer. I've also taken a few law courses so I know a bit about the law school. Love the building, my favorite in the whole campus. The view of the flatirons is just amazing!

Thanks for the info. We've been looking at Marine Court and Smiley Court. Smiley seems to have a slightly quicker bus route to the law building (by about 10 minutes, not too much, but nice) and has slightly larger rooms. Marine has good sized apartments and is right by the rec center, but it seems we could get to the rec center quickly from Smiley court.

How does the apartment application process work? I've sent in my acceptance so i'm waiting on permissions to apply. Can I apply for multiple types of apartments in multiple courts, and they inform me when the first becomes available? I think a marine 2-bedroom or a Smiley 1 or 2 bedroom would work best, but I know couples get priority only for 1 bedroom apts.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Went to the accepted students day this past weekend even though I already sent in my deposit. I absolutely CANNOT wait to move to Boulder... it is going to be amazing!! Were any of you at the day as well? There was a really smart young woman that sat in front of me during the mock class/presentations.. she must be posting here somewhere, seemed to know everything about the law school application process that the masses generally don't :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crimsonred

New

Post by crimsonred » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:51 pm

dgsaudio wrote: Thanks for the info. We've been looking at Marine Court and Smiley Court. Smiley seems to have a slightly quicker bus route to the law building (by about 10 minutes, not too much, but nice) and has slightly larger rooms. Marine has good sized apartments and is right by the rec center, but it seems we could get to the rec center quickly from Smiley court.

How does the apartment application process work? I've sent in my acceptance so i'm waiting on permissions to apply. Can I apply for multiple types of apartments in multiple courts, and they inform me when the first becomes available? I think a marine 2-bedroom or a Smiley 1 or 2 bedroom would work best, but I know couples get priority only for 1 bedroom apts.
Sorry for the late reply, was caught up in a whole lot of work. Anyway, if you get a place right alongside 30th street at Smiley Court, you'll find that it isn't really peaceful every morning. I stayed at a friend's place right opposite Smiley Court, and I used to get woken up every morning by the ambulance or police siren. Dunno what they did every morning! But nights should be peaceful. Anyway, its a pretty good place. Plus its within walking distance of King Soopers (NE corner of 30th and Arapahoe) for groceries. From Marine Court, you'll have to get to Folsom and 28th for Safeway, which is a long walk. If I had to choose, I would choose Smiley Court. You'd get the stampede if you walk like 3 mins and the bound right opposite your place.

As far as the application goes, well you select multiple apartments based on preference, and then they'll let you know when one of them becomes available. I haven't personally gone through the whole process because this house I am living in was applied for by a friend a year before I came to Boulder. Also, generally they say that the waitlists are almost 6-8 months long. But being a married couple should help.
the lantern wrote:Went to the accepted students day this past weekend even though I already sent in my deposit. I absolutely CANNOT wait to move to Boulder... it is going to be amazing!!
Isn't it just amazing? Wait for the summer/beginning of fall. It'll look even prettier.

dgsaudio

New

Post by dgsaudio » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:39 am

crimsonred wrote:
dgsaudio wrote: Thanks for the info. We've been looking at Marine Court and Smiley Court. Smiley seems to have a slightly quicker bus route to the law building (by about 10 minutes, not too much, but nice) and has slightly larger rooms. Marine has good sized apartments and is right by the rec center, but it seems we could get to the rec center quickly from Smiley court.

Sorry for the late reply, was caught up in a whole lot of work. Anyway, if you get a place right alongside 30th street at Smiley Court, you'll find that it isn't really peaceful every morning. I stayed at a friend's place right opposite Smiley Court, and I used to get woken up every morning by the ambulance or police siren. Dunno what they did every morning! But nights should be peaceful. Anyway, its a pretty good place. Plus its within walking distance of King Soopers (NE corner of 30th and Arapahoe) for groceries. From Marine Court, you'll have to get to Folsom and 28th for Safeway, which is a long walk. If I had to choose, I would choose Smiley Court. You'd get the stampede if you walk like 3 mins and the bound right opposite your place.

As far as the application goes, well you select multiple apartments based on preference, and then they'll let you know when one of them becomes available. I haven't personally gone through the whole process because this house I am living in was applied for by a friend a year before I came to Boulder. Also, generally they say that the waitlists are almost 6-8 months long. But being a married couple should help.
the lantern wrote:Went to the accepted students day this past weekend even though I already sent in my deposit. I absolutely CANNOT wait to move to Boulder... it is going to be amazing!!
Isn't it just amazing? Wait for the summer/beginning of fall. It'll look even prettier.

Awesome, thanks so much for taking the time to write. We're way excited to get this process going and move out there!

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:52 pm

Just got a confirmation email about getting instate tuition from the tuition classification office. The turnaround was incredibly quick, hopefully the VA office at Colorado is on top of their game as well!

dgsaudio

New

Post by dgsaudio » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:48 am

the lantern wrote:Just got a confirmation email about getting instate tuition from the tuition classification office. The turnaround was incredibly quick, hopefully the VA office at Colorado is on top of their game as well!
I need to do that too... Are you getting the post 9/11 GI Bill? I like the high BAH in Boulder!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:55 am

dgsaudio wrote:
the lantern wrote:Just got a confirmation email about getting instate tuition from the tuition classification office. The turnaround was incredibly quick, hopefully the VA office at Colorado is on top of their game as well!
I need to do that too... Are you getting the post 9/11 GI Bill? I like the high BAH in Boulder!
Yeah, the money will help a lot with living expenses because the place is so expensive :)

crimsonred

New

Post by crimsonred » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:46 pm

the lantern wrote:
dgsaudio wrote:
Yeah, the money will help a lot with living expenses because the place is so expensive :)
Very true. Though I know people who live very comfortably with like $450/month. It all depends on how much you are going to go out to drink/eat/party.

adora

Bronze

Post by adora » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:04 pm

I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL FALL!!!!

Just sayin' :)

yellowfin

New

Post by yellowfin » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Some folks have been asking about where to live. I ran across this document today. It's from the philosophy department at CU and it's a guide for graduate philosophy students. The first 3 pages are philosophy specific, but pages 4 through 9 have great information about Boulder that's geared toward older (i.e., not undergrad) students.

http://www.colorado.edu/philosophy/grad ... r_2010.pdf

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:40 pm

IF they ever get back to me, I hope to join this thread!

how hard is it to get in state after first year?

yellowfin

New

Post by yellowfin » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:44 pm

Supposedly it's very easy.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-scho ... dency.html

--LinkRemoved--

"Nonresident students may establish Colorado residency by maintaining a legal residence in Colorado for 12 consecutive months."

crimsonred

New

Post by crimsonred » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:55 am

yellowfin wrote:Some folks have been asking about where to live. I ran across this document today. It's from the philosophy department at CU and it's a guide for graduate philosophy students. The first 3 pages are philosophy specific, but pages 4 through 9 have great information about Boulder that's geared toward older (i.e., not undergrad) students.

http://www.colorado.edu/philosophy/grad ... r_2010.pdf
Just to point something out, I have never heard anybody in Boulder refer to North Boulder as NoBo or South Boulder as SoBo. :)

yellowfin

New

Post by yellowfin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:08 pm

There was a restaurant in the Table Mesa shopping center called SoBo Bistro, so something like that, but I think it closed. I've heard people use SoBo and NoBo, but it's usually tongue-in-cheek.

More importantly, CU's raising tuition next year. In-state at the law school will be $27,702, a 15% bump. No idea about out of state. It was in the Daily Camera this morning.

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_14789787? ... z0jmprBzk9
Last edited by yellowfin on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:10 pm

Whoops, I double posted this in the Colorado 2010 thread, too.

crimsonred

New

Post by crimsonred » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:39 pm

yellowfin wrote:There was a restaurant in the Table Mesa shopping center called SoBo Bistro, so something like that, but I think it closed. I've heard people use SoBo and NoBo, but it's usually tongue-in-cheek.

More importantly, CU's raising tuition next year. In-state at the lawl skool will be $27,702, a 15% bump. No idea about out of state. It was in the Daily Camera this morning.

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_14789787? ... z0jmprBzk9
Huh...I thought it was only for in-state undergraduates, and that too a 9% bump.

dgsaudio

New

Post by dgsaudio » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:03 am

I'm heading to Boulder this friday for the weekend. Gonna try to find a place, and the wife has a job interview. Hoping to move in June!

doza

New

Post by doza » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:52 pm

Hey everyone! I'm new here, but I just came across this thread. I'm still deciding between a couple schools (and haven't heard from back from two of them), but I'm strongly leaning towards CU. It's awesome to connect with other (potential) future classmates! Are any of you going to the open house on Friday? I'll be there, and it would be great meet up! :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”