Fordham Class of 2013/2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
tesoro

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby tesoro » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:23 pm

starsong wrote:
tesoro wrote:
Springsteen wrote:When are those of you who have had a long-term job planning on leaving? Particularly those moving from a different city? I'm thinking July 15, hoping it'll give me enough time to find an apt, sign a lease, and move in from DC at least a week or two before orientation.

I'm not planning on leaving until august 15th. I'm going to sign a lease well before then, though, over a weekend trip or two or three. Also moving from DC.

+1 another DCer here. I don't suppose any of you share my contempt for this pseudo-urban VA/DC/MD region and passionate longing for a real city...

Let me be very clear with my language. I fucking hate it here.

starsong

Postby starsong » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:38 pm

tesoro wrote:Let me be very clear with my language. I fucking hate it here.

+1. There's something about this place that drives me crazy. One more reason why I gladly took Fordham over GULC...

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:41 pm

starsong wrote:
tesoro wrote:Let me be very clear with my language. I fucking hate it here.

+1. There's something about this place that drives me crazy. One more reason why I gladly took Fordham over GULC...

Good Stuff burgers still rock!

Springsteen

Postby Springsteen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:01 pm

tesoro wrote:
starsong wrote:
tesoro wrote:
Springsteen wrote:When are those of you who have had a long-term job planning on leaving? Particularly those moving from a different city? I'm thinking July 15, hoping it'll give me enough time to find an apt, sign a lease, and move in from DC at least a week or two before orientation.

I'm not planning on leaving until august 15th. I'm going to sign a lease well before then, though, over a weekend trip or two or three. Also moving from DC.

+1 another DCer here. I don't suppose any of you share my contempt for this pseudo-urban VA/DC/MD region and passionate longing for a real city...

Let me be very clear with my language. I fucking hate it here.

+1...well, I wouldn't say I hate it, I'm just tired of it having been here for four years of college and then a year after working. Even though I never lived in NYC (my entire family is from there though and I only live about 40 min away), I feel like I will be more at home there than I EVER felt in DC.

BTW..would you DC future-Fordham-ites want to do a happy hour at some point before we move up to the city?

Edit to say I shouldn't say I NEVER lived there...I did grow up in Staten Island until I was 4...

starsong

Postby starsong » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:22 pm

Springsteen wrote:BTW..would you DC future-Fordham-ites want to do a happy hour at some point before we move up to the city?

I'm game. Need to celebrate our freedom from Egypt and move to the Promised Land.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:45 pm

starsong wrote:
Springsteen wrote:BTW..would you DC future-Fordham-ites want to do a happy hour at some point before we move up to the city?

I'm game. Need to celebrate our freedom from Egypt and move to the Promised Land.

I would probly do it if it were mid-week.

Springsteen

Postby Springsteen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:37 pm

tesoro wrote:
starsong wrote:

I would probly do it if it were mid-week.

Yeah mid-week would work better for me too. Anyone interested PM me and we'll set something up.

empire84

Postby empire84 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:51 am

pretty
Last edited by empire84 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

nygiants

Postby nygiants » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:35 pm

So... I might be a sucker, or a nerd, but I signed up for that Law Preview thing put on by princeton review. Has anyone heard anything positive about this program or considering taking it too?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:08 pm

nygiants wrote:So... I might be a sucker, or a nerd, but I signed up for that Law Preview thing put on by princeton review. Has anyone heard anything positive about this program or considering taking it too?

That sucking noise you hear is your money going down the toilet.....

Jokes.

I haven't heard much about princeton's review program but I am sure it is just another excuse to rob future law students of money.

Or maybe you'll be way a head of everyone else come August. We'll see what happens!

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:39 pm

So after withdrawing from BLS, they mailed me a letter today offering me a more-than-tuition scholarship with rather lax stipulations and a guaranteed $3,750 housing stipend for each of my four years in the evening program.

Was anyone else blindsided by this? This is a huge sum of money. Any second thoughts about going to Fordham? I'm not sure how to feel.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:39 am

tesoro wrote:So after withdrawing from BLS, they mailed me a letter today offering me a more-than-tuition scholarship with rather lax stipulations and a guaranteed $3,750 housing stipend for each of my four years in the evening program.

Was anyone else blindsided by this? This is a huge sum of money. Any second thoughts about going to Fordham? I'm not sure how to feel.

I don't know, Cardozo sort of did the same thing to me after I decided on Fordham. I guess it depends a lot on your financial situation, what kind of law you're planning on practicing after, etc. I decided against it because I was a.) really excited about Fordham, and b.) I didn't really think they were offering me as good a deal as they would be getting in return. Its definitely not a black-and-white decision, but I think Fordham's reputation and alumni network is definitely really strong and that Fordham's grads place better in the job market than the rankings would suggest, and those were two major factors that helped me reach my decision.

But let me just say that while taking out the equivalent of a 30-year mortgage on a family of five's home in law school loans seems really daunting, it is do-able if you really want to go to Fordham. The majority of law students are in the same boat, and everybody worries about money and occasionally survives on ramen noodles, but in the end, everything works out.

starsong

Postby starsong » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:46 am

jk11287 wrote:
tesoro wrote:So after withdrawing from BLS, they mailed me a letter today offering me a more-than-tuition scholarship with rather lax stipulations and a guaranteed $3,750 housing stipend for each of my four years in the evening program.

I don't know, Cardozo sort of did the same thing to me after I decided on Fordham. I guess it depends a lot on your financial situation, what kind of law you're planning on practicing after, etc. I decided against it because I was a.) really excited about Fordham, and b.) I didn't really think they were offering me as good a deal as they would be getting in return. Its definitely not a black-and-white decision, but I think Fordham's reputation and alumni network is definitely really strong and that Fordham's grads place better in the job market than the rankings would suggest, and those were two major factors that helped me reach my decision.

But let me just say that while taking out the equivalent of a 30-year mortgage on a family of five's home in law school loans seems really daunting, it is do-able if you really want to go to Fordham. The majority of law students are in the same boat, and everybody worries about money and occasionally survives on ramen noodles, but in the end, everything works out.

Every discussion about loans must take IBR into account. If you work for a qualifying employer, your payments are capped at 10% of income, and I think Obama just expanded this even further. IBR changes the whole game.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:27 am

starsong wrote:
jk11287 wrote:

Every discussion about loans must take IBR into account. If you work for a qualifying employer, your payments are capped at 10% of income, and I think Obama just expanded this even further. IBR changes the whole game.

Thanks guys. It's a slightly different situation for me. In neither situation would I be taking out loans. Rather, I will be working the job that I currently have and paying out of pocket (if it were loans, I would run to BLS immediately). So the question is: how valuable it might be to have an extra $155k in my bank account versus having a nice versatile degree from Fordham.

I talked it out with my family yesterday and I'm leaning once again toward Fordham. BLS has a top 40% requirement to renew in full, which while lax is still quite the gamble. If I miss that mark, my degree would be pretty much worthless and I would consider dropping out. Fordham, on the other hand, is not a gamble. It's just plain expensive. That, and certain coursework and especially one clinical at Fordham offer hands-on work with real clients on the extremely competitive niche of law that I intend to practice, which is probably worth the money on its own.

Thank you both for the insight- back to our regularly scheduled programming.

starsong

Postby starsong » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:30 am

tesoro wrote:Thanks guys. It's a slightly different situation for me. In neither situation would I be taking out loans. Rather, I will be working the job that I currently have and paying out of pocket (if it were loans, I would run to BLS immediately). So the question is: how valuable it might be to have an extra $155k in my bank account versus having a nice versatile degree from Fordham.

I talked it out with my family yesterday and I'm leaning once again toward Fordham. BLS has a top 40% requirement to renew in full, which while lax is still quite the gamble. If I miss that mark, my degree would be pretty much worthless and I would consider dropping out. Fordham, on the other hand, is not a gamble. It's just plain expensive. That, and certain coursework and especially one clinical at Fordham offer hands-on work with real clients on the extremely competitive niche of law that I intend to practice, which is probably worth the money on its own.

Thank you both for the insight- back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Yeah Fordham sounds like a better bet for you. See you in August!

bicoastal

Postby bicoastal » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:41 am

empire84 wrote:pretty much decided on fordham over ucla. excited to meet you guys.

I'm debating over the same choice, but am leaning the other way. What pushed you toward Fordham?

Springsteen

Postby Springsteen » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:57 pm

Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the admitted students guide is available on the "Forms and Documents" page. Nothing really new from what we have available on the ASW and the main website, but still nice to see everything put together, and it includes a very interesting school history timeline, plus our academic schedule. Reading it has gotten me more and more excited to start!

starsong

Postby starsong » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Springsteen wrote:Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the admitted students guide is available on the "Forms and Documents" page. Nothing really new from what we have available on the ASW and the main website, but still nice to see everything put together, and it includes a very interesting school history timeline, plus our academic schedule. Reading it has gotten me more and more excited to start!

Thanks! I wasn't at the ASW so this is great...

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:14 pm

starsong wrote:
Springsteen wrote:Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the admitted students guide is available on the "Forms and Documents" page. Nothing really new from what we have available on the ASW and the main website, but still nice to see everything put together, and it includes a very interesting school history timeline, plus our academic schedule. Reading it has gotten me more and more excited to start!

Thanks! I wasn't at the ASW so this is great...

neither was i! i actually discovered this a few days ago. still a little miffed that they never fulfilled their promise to mail this to us, though. it's nice to have a glossy catalog in hand.

starsong

Postby starsong » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:28 pm

Anyone else notice on the admitted students site that there's a barbecue planned for 6/24?

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 pm

starsong wrote:Anyone else notice on the admitted students site that there's a barbecue planned for 6/24?

did not notice that...wonder if they're going to let us know or leave it to us to find :P

empire84

Postby empire84 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:47 pm

does
Last edited by empire84 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:35 pm

I just got their admitted students guide and now I am really excited about Fordham! I was a little on the fence before but now I'm very excited.

Also, was anyone else super impressed with their admitted student's handbook? I used to work in public mailings/bindings so I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to this issue, but WOW!. The spiral binding was sturdy but facilitated turning the page. The index was so easy to use and all the relevant information was in one spot. I'm comparing this with the materials I got from Michigan and Duke and they were much worse. They came at all different times, mostly were junk, and it was hard to find the relevant info.

txhorn

Postby txhorn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:20 pm

Hey-O wrote:I just got their admitted students guide and now I am really excited about Fordham! I was a little on the fence before but now I'm very excited.

Also, was anyone else super impressed with their admitted student's handbook? I used to work in public mailings/bindings so I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to this issue, but WOW!. The spiral binding was sturdy but facilitated turning the page. The index was so easy to use and all the relevant information was in one spot. I'm comparing this with the materials I got from Michigan and Duke and they were much worse. They came at all different times, mostly were junk, and it was hard to find the relevant info.

I came.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:06 pm

txhorn wrote:
Hey-O wrote:I just got their admitted students guide and now I am really excited about Fordham! I was a little on the fence before but now I'm very excited.

I came.

:lol:

Hey-O- did you request the guide? i was admitted in march and never got one... all i got today was my $0 need-based award letter.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”