Fordham Class of 2013/2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
tesoro

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby tesoro » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:18 pm

jl2032 wrote:
tesoro wrote:
jl2032 wrote:
jk11287 wrote:Accept letter mailed: 3/23
Deny letter mailed: 3/19

??????? Does anyone else have this on their status checker?

Yes, I have those two and an additional blank mailing, none of which have been received.

I actually got my admission letter (but way, way earlier in the cycle). Don't sweat it so long as you have one in e-mail form as documentation of the acceptance - the letter is short and doesn't really say much of anything other than congrats.

I do have a strange blank mailing too, and no update on my seat deposit + no response to my email inquiring about it. None of this is surprising, though. It's nice that we're all in this together.

I emailed Kate. She's amazing. She always gets back to me within like three minutes, which is nice. She's checking into the mailings issue for me since it's been three weeks and I've gotten nothing. I want to know what the stipulations are if you send in a seat deposit. Is that written on the letter? What about in the scholarship letter?

There's nothing binding about sending in a seat deposit. The letter says nothing about this. These are the 5 paragraphs I got back in November:

My pleasure to inform you...

160 students will join the evening progarm... yardstick for measuring success goes far beyond grades and honors...

In a few weeks you will receive the admitted students guide (LOL)...

You are welcome to visit...

Please accept my best wishes...

Sincerely,

DB

I have no idea about scholarships, because the only letter I got from them regarding this was an e-mail saying I won't be getting one

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:35 pm

tesoro wrote:
jl2032 wrote:
tesoro wrote:
jl2032 wrote:Yes, I have those two and an additional blank mailing, none of which have been received.

I actually got my admission letter (but way, way earlier in the cycle). Don't sweat it so long as you have one in e-mail form as documentation of the acceptance - the letter is short and doesn't really say much of anything other than congrats.

I do have a strange blank mailing too, and no update on my seat deposit + no response to my email inquiring about it. None of this is surprising, though. It's nice that we're all in this together.

I emailed Kate. She's amazing. She always gets back to me within like three minutes, which is nice. She's checking into the mailings issue for me since it's been three weeks and I've gotten nothing. I want to know what the stipulations are if you send in a seat deposit. Is that written on the letter? What about in the scholarship letter?

There's nothing binding about sending in a seat deposit. The letter says nothing about this. These are the 5 paragraphs I got back in November:

My pleasure to inform you...

160 students will join the evening progarm... yardstick for measuring success goes far beyond grades and honors...

In a few weeks you will receive the admitted students guide (LOL)...

You are welcome to visit...

Please accept my best wishes...

Sincerely,

DB

I have no idea about scholarships, because the only letter I got from them regarding this was an e-mail saying I won't be getting one

So, they don't care if we don't withdraw from other schools?

I'd like to keep the option of Penn open. I don't want to withdraw before I need to and I also haven't received either school's financial aid info.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:38 pm

jl2032 wrote:So, they don't care if we don't withdraw from other schools?

I'd like to keep the option of Penn open. I don't want to withdraw before I need to and I also haven't received either school's financial aid info.

I'm a survivalist myself, so I understand the paranoia. But you're worrying too much.

Law schools aren't banks. There is no fine print. They're not out to blacklist you or harm you. If you're going to have to withdraw from all other schools, you'll be bound by a clear and explicit contract stating that as a condition of accepting a scholarship, you agree to withdraw from all other schools. NYU forces students hands like this, but I have never heard of this happening anywhere else.

Go ahead and deposit - Penn is still an option. Just be mindful of the deposit due date for Penn so you don't miss an opportunity. Or if you want to be super cautious and have money to burn, you can always double deposit.

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:02 pm

I just wish I had something in writing from them that says what a seat deosit means. Columbia has an issue with double deposits and says they may rescind theiroffer if you do that. Some schools have a similar policy, but only for the second deposits or if you keep them open past June.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:11 pm

jl2032 wrote:I just wish I had something in writing from them that says what a seat deosit means. Columbia has an issue with double deposits and says they may rescind theiroffer if you do that. Some schools have a similar policy, but only for the second deposits or if you keep them open past June.

I get that. But Columbia voices their policy. An unvoiced policy is not a policy at all.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:34 pm

I think Fordham is pretty realistic in that they know a lot of kids who put seat deposits down are chomping at the bit to get off of -insert slightly more prestigious law schools here- waitlist. Therefore, no stated policy on deposits. On the other hand, they don't want to broadcast to everybody that they're down with multiple deposits either! That would probably piss off lots of schools.

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:32 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:I think Fordham is pretty realistic in that they know a lot of kids who put seat deposits down are chomping at the bit to get off of -insert slightly more prestigious law schools here- waitlist. Therefore, no stated policy on deposits. On the other hand, they don't want to broadcast to everybody that they're down with multiple deposits either! That would probably piss off lots of schools.

I'm clear on waitlists. That's not the issue.

They won't make you withdraw from schools where you're waitlisted or schools from which you haven't heard yet. BUT some schools make you withdraw from schools where you've been accepted if you put down your seat deposit with them. It makes sense because even if you're waiting for other schools, you should know what your backup is among the schools that have accepted you - So, in reality, you should only need to make one deposit.

Even apart from the waitlists and pending applications, I'm still undecided among two schools where I was accepted.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:35 pm

jl2032 wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:I think Fordham is pretty realistic in that they know a lot of kids who put seat deposits down are chomping at the bit to get off of -insert slightly more prestigious law schools here- waitlist. Therefore, no stated policy on deposits. On the other hand, they don't want to broadcast to everybody that they're down with multiple deposits either! That would probably piss off lots of schools.

They won't make you withdraw from schools where you're waitlisted or schools from which you haven't heard yet. BUT some schools make you withdraw from schools where you've been accepted if you put down your seat deposit with them. It makes sense because even if you're waiting for other schools, you should know what your backup is among the schools that have accepted you - So, in reality, you should only need to make one deposit.

Even apart from the waitlists and pending applications, I'm still undecided among two schools where I was accepted.

Which 2?

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:37 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
jl2032 wrote:

Which 2?

Fordham PT w/$20,000 a year and not having to leave NYC
or
Penn at sticker

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:47 pm

jl2032 wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
jl2032 wrote:

Which 2?

or
Penn at sticker

If you switched to FT would you still have the same scholly? If you are fine with NYC and have roots here already, I would find it hard to justify Penn at sticker if you're debt adverse. Were you at ASD a few weeks ago? I met a quite awesome person debating Penn vs Fordham

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:10 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
jl2032 wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
jl2032 wrote:I'm clear on waitlists. That's not the issue.

Which 2?

or
Penn at sticker

If you switched to FT would you still have the same scholly? If you are fine with NYC and have roots here already, I would find it hard to justify Penn at sticker if you're debt adverse. Were you at ASD a few weeks ago? I met a quite awesome person debating Penn vs Fordham

"Quite awesome" doesn't sound like me, but yes I was there.

I'd rather do PT because I can keep my job and have them pay the remaining $14,000 a year. I also don't want to live like a student for three years and my job pays well.

That said, Penn is a top 10 school.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:19 pm

Is there a FB group for us 2013ers/2014ers?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:29 pm

I'd rather do PT because I can keep my job and have them pay the remaining $14,000 a year. I also don't want to live like a student for three years and my job pays well.

Are you Asian?

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:56 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:

Are you Asian?

No, sir.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:06 pm

jl2032 wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:

Are you Asian?

No, sir.

Ah, there was an asian girl grappling with the same decision as u!

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:14 am

Did everyone get the Stein application email this morning? I'm so (nerdily) excited that we can apply to this already!

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:25 am

LaurenGayle wrote:Did everyone get the Stein application email this morning? I'm so (nerdily) excited that we can apply to this already!

yeah, i got this too, but i'm not interested in public interest.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:36 am

LaurenGayle wrote:Did everyone get the Stein application email this morning? I'm so (nerdily) excited that we can apply to this already!

I'm even nerdier - my application's been in for a couple of days now. :D

adgirl13

Postby adgirl13 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:59 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Is there a FB group for us 2013ers/2014ers?

Yupp! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=351824960937

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:02 pm

danidancer wrote:

Wow. I did not know it was this competitive haha. Oops. Better get typing. fwiw it does seem like a really sweet program.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:03 pm

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:10 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
danidancer wrote:

Wow. I did not know it was this competitive haha. Oops. Better get typing. fwiw it does seem like a really sweet program.

Haha. I just got excited about it at the ASD, and when they said the application was already online, I decided to go ahead and start preparing my application. It does sound like an awesome program for anyone even partly interested in PI.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:13 pm

danidancer wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
danidancer wrote:

Haha. I just got excited about it at the ASD, and when they said the application was already online, I decided to go ahead and start preparing my application. It does sound like an awesome program for anyone even partly interested in PI.

I'm only partly interested in it. I am just hoping they'll finance my trip to Europe that will find me backpacking through the Swiss alps with a backpack filled with drugs. I'm sure that's somewhat public interest-y

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:15 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:I'm only partly interested in it. I am just hoping they'll finance my trip to Europe that will find me backpacking through the Swiss alps with a backpack filled with drugs. I'm sure that's somewhat public interest-y

That might not make the cut for Stein, but the Leitner Center might bite. :D

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:01 pm

danidancer wrote:

ahh, I was wondering how you knew about it before the email. I'm definitely going to work on it this weekend -- this and the Crowley program are the main reasons I applied to Fordham!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”