Fordham Class of 2013/2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
fl0w

Silver

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Post by fl0w » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:51 am

got 7.5k per year... doesn't really compete with the 38k/yr at wustl..

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:52 am

fl0w wrote:got 7.5k per year... doesn't really compete with the 38k/yr at wustl..
do they snail mail you for scholly info?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:01 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
fl0w wrote:got 7.5k per year... doesn't really compete with the 38k/yr at wustl..
do they snail mail you for scholly info?
they do indeed.

ezryder609

New

Post by ezryder609 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:06 am

Anybody else thinking of living in McMahon this fall, and if so has anybody heard where we might be able to put our names down for housing assignments?

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:12 pm

Sad I wasn't able to come up from DC and join you guys today, but I hope it was a good time! Definitely let us know any important stuff they went over.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:13 pm

ezryder609 wrote:Anybody else thinking of living in McMahon this fall, and if so has anybody heard where we might be able to put our names down for housing assignments?
http://www.fordham.edu/Student_Affairs/ ... e_Housing/

I've personally decided to look off campus, I feel like I can get housing a bit cheaper and save some much needed $. But you definitely can't beat McMahon from a location standpoint.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:57 pm

Springsteen wrote:Sad I wasn't able to come up from DC and join you guys today, but I hope it was a good time! Definitely let us know any important stuff they went over.
I was fairly impressed. The negatives first: as expected, the building is pretty awful and I thought all of the "congratulate yourselves for getting into Fordham b/c it's the most awesomest school evar" stuff in the morning was a bit over the top. The curriculum/career development presentations were OK I suppose. Kind of boring, but important information. Mock class was fun, but kind of pointless - I can see why they chose that professor to lead it though, he was great! Biggest downer of the day was, by far, the lunch...my table sucked - all depressed and disgruntled T14 rejects/WLers "settling for Fordham" (which I guess I am as well, but I also love Fordham!).

On the plus side, I LOVED the PIRC breakout session, and the student panel/tour were both great. All of the current students I had a chance to talk to seem like people I could be friends with - very smart and very chill... and, most importantly, happy with their decision to attend Fordham. The afternoon made up for the morning and I left feeling pumped about possibly spending the next 3 years on the UWS. :D

Oh, and for those wondering, our swag bags included the coveted spiral books that took them forever to print - I think they said they'd be mailing them in the next couple of weeks.
Last edited by danidancer on Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:38 pm

ASD quick pointds (for anyone who cares):

*Fordham's location is marvelous. Truly stunning. A block from Columbus Circle, a block from Lincoln Center, a block from Central Park. As the dean said, Fordham has the best location of any law school in the universe.

*Fordham's facilities blow. There is no getting around that. The students and faculty both ackowledge it. However, as much as I thought this was going to persuade me not to come, by the end of the day the place kind of grew on me. Kind of like an old pair of beat up jeans you still wear cause they're super comfortable.

* There are going to be epic douche bags and gunners at any school. At Fordham I feel as if this will be kept to a minimum.

* The head of career services and both deans (Brown and Treanor) were pretty awesome.

*Fordham is a damned hard school to get in to. Pat yourself on the back, I met a lot of really smart but down to Earth people there.

* Got a good chuckle out of the mock class. The professor was pretty sweet and grilled some gunners in the making

* I think Fordham puts a lot of thought into who they're going to accept. AGAIN, I met some pretty sweet people.

* Everyone at the school seemed to be happy they were there. Lots of people butting into our tour guides talking points to talk about certain things.

* Class of 2009 employment stats are damned impressive. I wish I had the paper still, or else I would just scan it and post em here. I think this is a product of the awesome career services.

* Did I mention career services seems frickin awesome?

* Public interest at Fordham is DAMNED awesome,. I will have a hard time deciding which path I want to pursue. There are some seriously great opportunities to get involved at Fordham and in the community. Fordham is not just about big law and I don;t have nearly enough time to get into the opportunities.

* This years OCI was a slaughter fest. Seriously bad. Every 2L acknowledges this. Times are rough at any law school as everyone knows. I included this point because I know someone was going to bring it up.

* There are going to be some epic gunners in my incoming class.

*The student panel was awesome. For the most part, kids at Fordham are really down to Earth and honest about life at Fordham.

Did Fordham convince me to throw down a seat deposit? No. Am I truly thankful to have this option? HELL YEA. I am still waiting for schools and if I get a WUSTL acceptance things will get REAL complicated. Fordham def has its shit together and I am so so so happy I got in (not to be braggy). I did not put much thought into it at the beginning but now I understand why some kids are so damned happy to be at Fordham.

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Still don't really know the best way to send in my seat deposit (if i was going to do it). Reading through the printed book from ASW. No form to fill out.

Just write a check and mail it with a note on the memo line?

PS - anybody else at ASW not like the one super annoying asian kid with a blue button down shirt (2-3 buttons undone) and a gold chain, asking the overarching questions about the awful state of the economy, etc. sounded like a d-bag then. had him in my corporate law breakout session. there, it was confirmed that he was an epic annoying dbag! (and future gunner)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:22 pm

Asian kid was a hands down A+ douchebag. Seriously go somewhere else.

He had the audacity to ask the STUDENT PANEL about transfering! Seriously go to Cornell or something.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:40 pm

I'd forgotten about Asian kid! YES! EPIC d-bag. Oy.

dmcbride

New

'

Post by dmcbride » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:43 pm

'
Last edited by dmcbride on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:14 pm

dmcbride wrote:On the bright side his questions made it sound like he would be an evening student anyway...
This is NOT a bright side. I fucking hate this kid already and he's the one and only thing i'm dreading about matriculating to the night program.

Fuck.

I'm depositing tomorrow, god help me. I love every other thing about the school but this one dude really ruined it for me. It didn't help that he appeared to be following me to every breakout session and taking up 20 minutes of the 30 minute sessions to ask everyone the same exact question.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:16 pm

tesoro wrote:
dmcbride wrote:On the bright side his questions made it sound like he would be an evening student anyway...
This is NOT a bright side. I fucking hate this kid already and he's the one and only thing i'm dreading about matriculating to the night program.

Fuck.

I'm depositing tomorrow, god help me. I love every other thing about the school but this one dude really ruined it for me. It didn't help that he appeared to be following me to every breakout session and taking up 20 minutes of the 30 minute sessions to ask everyone the same exact question.
did you get his name? just request not to be placed in his section or something.. don't they mix the evening with the day eventually?

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:18 pm

sibley wrote:
tesoro wrote:

Fuck.

did you get his name? just request not to be placed in his section or something.. don't they mix the evening with the day eventually?
His name is Dickhead McIDon'tGiveAFuckAboutAnyoneElse.

Evening is only one section for 1L, so that's unfortunately not an option. After 1L I plan on taking all day classes on a part-time basis, but there is no "mixing" per se - I'm pretty sure there's just open registration to all courses for everyone.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:19 pm

tesoro wrote:
sibley wrote:
tesoro wrote:

Fuck.

His name is Dickhead McIDon'tGiveAFuckAboutAnyoneElse.

Evening is only one section for 1L, so that's unfortunately not an option. After 1L I plan on taking all day classes on a part-time basis, but there is no "mixing" per se - I'm pretty sure there's just open registration to all courses for everyone.

well hopefully his douchiness will make the profs hate him too. and you'll look good as a result.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:23 pm

sibley wrote:
well hopefully his douchiness will make the profs hate him too. and you'll look good as a result.
We can only hope :).

Just to add to everyone else's impressions about ASD: ASD gave me the feeling that Fordham is a Lawyer's law school. They're 100% about producing people who know how to practice lawyering, rather than producing people who know every philosophical facet of the law. I spoke with the professor who runs the clinic I'm pursuing (only offered at 4 other law schools nationwide so this is exciting), who convinced me without trying that this is more than just talk - we're going to learn every practical skill we need. Perfect fit for my goals. Combined with the location and intelligence of the student body I'm sold.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:24 pm

tesoro wrote:
sibley wrote:

Just to add to everyone else's impressions about ASD: ASD gave me the feeling that Fordham is a Lawyer's law school. They're 100% about producing people who know how to practice lawyering, rather than producing people who know every philosophical facet of the law. I spoke with the professor who runs the clinic I'm pursuing (only offered at 4 other law schools nationwide so this is exciting), who convinced me without trying that this is more than just talk - we're going to learn every practical skill we need. Perfect fit for my goals. Combined with the location and intelligence of the student body I'm sold.
which clinic? just out of personal interest

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:26 pm

sibley wrote:
tesoro wrote:
sibley wrote:

Intellectual property

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:27 pm

tesoro wrote:
sibley wrote:
tesoro wrote:
sibley wrote:

Intellectual property
2nd year + only? and which other schools have it?

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:29 pm

sibley wrote:
2nd year + only? and which other schools have it?
Don't quote me on this because i'm tired and my memory's fuzzy, but I think they're GWU, WUSTL, Columbia, Berkeley.\

edit: this particular clinic has a LOT of prereqs. If you're lucky and diligent you could get them all done in your first 3 semesters and take the clinic in the 4th, but it's likely going to be a 3L or 4E activity for me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:31 pm

Last edited by Mattalones on Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:35 pm

Mattalones wrote:I have been trouble finding it, and it may by somewhere on this thread, but does anyone know offhand when the deposit deadline is?
April 15

e. francescoli

New

Post by e. francescoli » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:38 pm

Hey everyone. Unfortunately I wasn't able to be there this weekend, but I was wondering if there was any discussion about housing. From reading around it seems that it's a better deal to find an apartment with roomates than live in the dorm, and I would like to roomate with other people from our class... is there any way to link up with other future students looking for apartments?

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:40 pm

e. francescoli wrote:Hey everyone. Unfortunately I wasn't able to be there this weekend, but I was wondering if there was any discussion about housing. From reading around it seems that it's a better deal to find an apartment with roomates than live in the dorm, and I would like to roomate with other people from our class... is there any way to link up with other future students looking for apartments?

There's a webgroup fordham set up for incoming students to easily find others looking for housing. You'll see it in your admitted students guide, so keep an eye on your mailbox as they'll be going out this week (we got ours at ASD).

edit: Sorry I didn't just post the link. My book isn't handy, but someone else may come up with it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”