Fordham Class of 2013/2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
kmen

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby kmen » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:54 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
WhyBother? wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:
kmen wrote:Crumbs is excellent, but I just am not really a cupcake guy. I think some of the magic is lost on me.

I have a recipe for Irish Car Bomb cupcakes that might make you change your mind:
Guiness Chocolate Cake
Whiskey Chocolate Ganache
Bailey's frosting...

You made me drool a little bit on my keyboard. Just kidding.....kinda. Can we have this recipe, please?

I've made these several times and they are amazing. Enjoy: http://www.sporkorfoon.com/spork_or_a_foon/2009/03/chocolate-whiskey-cupcakes.html

I guess I spoke too soon, but I would still rather have it in pure cake form.

I guess I should answer some of my own questions. My favorite book is more a favorite author, Robert Heinlein. His best books imho are Stranger in a Strange Land and Starship Troopers (yes this is the same thing as the terrible movie only really really good). My favorite film is 12 Angry Men, a little cliche I know but it just can't be beat. My favorite movie (and yes I am making a distinction) is any of the Rush Hour movies or any other funny action movie.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:31 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
WhyBother? wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Near Fordham? Magnolia Bakery on Columbus & 69th. Yes, I know how cliche that is. I still love it there.

Cliche as Magnolia might be, can you believe I've never been there? I always forget to stop by when I am in the neighborhood. What's the best cupcake to get for my (impending) first visit?

The new Red Cross cupcake. It's $3, and they give $1 to the Red Cross. (Otherwise, vanilla with the sugary frosting is best!)

BTW, I live directly across the street. PM me or something when you go, and if I'm home I'll come by.

Gotta say guys, I'm much more of a Crumbs fan ;-)

You guys are adorable. Consensus is that Crumbs has better cake, but Magnolia has better frosting. I'm all about the frosting and the compact size... I wish Crumbs would do mini cupcakes! That red velvet is insanely good.

Also, mention of the Crocodile Lounge just brought back a vivid memory from this past summer... Isn't it strange how we are shaped by the many things that happen to us?

kmen

Postby kmen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:05 am

Oh man they have skee ball that place looks awesome. I am really looking forwarded to trying out the Crocodile Lounge.

It is interesting how events really shape who we are and how we think. It is also interesting how a single seemingly meaningless event can have an extremely profound effect on our lives. I am likely attending Fordham next fall, and I can trace the decision back through many events to a then trivial event two years ago.

This discussion has got me really excited to explore the city while studying at Fordham.

I know we have some football fans in here, who do you think is going to win the Super Bowl? Personally I think that the Colts will win by at least a touchdown. I think that Sean Peyton and Greg Williams will put together a good game plan, but I just can't see their defense being better than the Jets were. I don't know who I want to win though, since I really don't care about either team I think I would like the Colts to win so a player from Rutgers (my alma-mater) can get a ring.

dgb87

Postby dgb87 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:14 am

When did crocodile lounge get skeeball?? Or was I just reading it wrong? All I remember about the place is that you get free pizza with every drink...

Also as for cupcakes...anyone ever make it out to Cupcake Stop (it's a truck)...I think they have the best red velvet in the city!!!

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:03 am

LOVE crocodile lounge!!!

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:16 am

I'm going to be totally honest here.

Crocodile lounge sucks.

The pizza is terribly shitty, there's way better pizza across the street. And it's dark, sticky, and gross.

This is coming from a really scrappy dude. Steer clear.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:05 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I wish Crumbs would do mini cupcakes!
They do! But they only sell them in packs of 12, called "taste packs" - --LinkRemoved--.

My favorite is the pistachio, although the red velvet is a close #2.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:26 am

danidancer wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I wish Crumbs would do mini cupcakes!
They do! But they only sell them in packs of 12, called "taste packs" - --LinkRemoved--.

My favorite is the pistachio, although the red velvet is a close #2.

You just had to post a link, didn't you? :mrgreen:

While we are discussing bars, Bourgeois Pig is my favorite in all the city. The Violetta is my signature drink.

This is where I went to celebrate getting into Fordham:
http://www.bourgeoispigny.com/drinks.php

kmen

Postby kmen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:06 am

dgb87 wrote:When did crocodile lounge get skeeball?? Or was I just reading it wrong? All I remember about the place is that you get free pizza with every drink...

Also as for cupcakes...anyone ever make it out to Cupcake Stop (it's a truck)...I think they have the best red velvet in the city!!!

There is a picure of someone playing skeeball in the following review if you click on slideshow.

http://nymag.com/listings/bar/crocodile-lounge/

Springsteen

Postby Springsteen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:59 am

http://law.fordham.edu/admissions/admissions.htm

Admitted students link up on admissions page, I haven't been able to log into it though but hopefully it'll be up and running soon!

kmen

Postby kmen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:03 am

Springsteen wrote:http://law.fordham.edu/admissions/admissions.htm

Admitted students link up on admissions page, I haven't been able to log into it though but hopefully it'll be up and running soon!

I guess we just have to wait for the email.

beebs

Postby beebs » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:39 am

tesoro wrote:I'm going to be totally honest here.

Crocodile lounge sucks.

The pizza is terribly shitty, there's way better pizza across the street. And it's dark, sticky, and gross.

The CL is not for everyone - it's a huge dive. And I will concede that Artichoke (the place across the street) might have the best pizza in the city.

But Crocodile Lounge has games in the back! At last count, there was Big Buck Hunter, one of those photo booths, and the thing you can punch for points, and of course, the already mentioned skee ball.

And often times, you can ask drunk people for their drink tickets and just get free pizza.

Springsteen

Postby Springsteen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:41 am

beebs wrote:
tesoro wrote:I'm going to be totally honest here.

Crocodile lounge sucks.

The CL is not for everyone - it's a huge dive. And I will concede that Artichoke (the place across the street) might have the best pizza in the city.

But Crocodile Lounge has games in the back! At last count, there was Big Buck Hunter, one of those photo booths, and the thing you can punch for points, and of course, the already mentioned skee ball.

And often times, you can ask drunk people for their drink tickets and just get free pizza.

This literally sounds like the greatest place ever. Or one of them at least...I definitely need to go.

Springsteen

Postby Springsteen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:42 am

And I say that completely seriously, as a HUGE skee ball fan.

lietx3

Postby lietx3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:29 pm

I will have to check this out. The free pizza sounds awesome... we have a place here in Boston where after 12/1 (depending on the night of the week) you get a free hot dog with every drink. From what I hear the hot dogs are pretty good but useless for us vegetarians... lol

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:41 pm

lietx3 wrote:I will have to check this out. The free pizza sounds awesome... we have a place here in Boston where after 12/1 (depending on the night of the week) you get a free hot dog with every drink. From what I hear the hot dogs are pretty good but useless for us vegetarians... lol

where at? i never found anyplace like that up in Boston.

lietx3

Postby lietx3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:37 pm

Pour House on Boylston! Right next to Cactus Club/Whiskey's

beckstar

Postby beckstar » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:52 pm

i went to Bouchon after ASD and was sorely disappointed. Promptly Yelp'd my dissatisfaction, too. lol.

I don't know the Fordham area that well, maybe shakeshack uws? not that close but shakeshack is the best. Whole foods cheese counter = free samples all day long.

but for cupcakes, my fave spot is def sugar sweet sushine in the LES. Cupcakestop has good red velvet, otherwise kind of a fail. Magnolia's is really overrated, their frosting is like powdery. Best Red Velvet cake ever is in Park Slope - Cake man raven. If you go to bk flea in the summer, that's a must eat.

fave bar: milk and honey, though i can't really afford it really. As far as speakeasies go, MH is still the best.

Happy ending in the LES

Fave restaurants: Sushi Yasuda, La Esquina downstairs, 11 Madison Park [all pretty expensive though].

Favorite movie: Clueless [YUP!]

My lifestyle - aspirational. haha. It's gonna be a bitch adjusting to a student budget.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:37 pm

lietx3 wrote:Pour House on Boylston! Right next to Cactus Club/Whiskey's

Whoa. I never knew pour house had a free hotdog night! God, I missed out.

Were you around when they used to do beach nights? They would fill beach pails with beer and sell them for $5. It was pretty much the greatest thing ever.

I miss Boston (and NYC). But that's enough derail here. Go Fordham!

Springsteen

Postby Springsteen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:43 pm

Just got the email. Admitted students page available for login. They said the financial aid stuff would be up, as well as some information about programs, etc. with more to follow later on. There's also a really nice welcome video from Dean Treanor on the page.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:51 pm

Springsteen wrote:Just got the email. Admitted students page available for login. They said the financial aid stuff would be up, as well as some information about programs, etc. with more to follow later on. There's also a really nice welcome video from Dean Treanor on the page.

+1 --- Anyone want to go to the "Admitted Student Reception" on February 26th?

And if so, do we think that a "reception" on a Friday night would include wine? ;-)

Springsteen

Postby Springsteen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:56 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
Springsteen wrote:Just got the email. Admitted students page available for login. They said the financial aid stuff would be up, as well as some information about programs, etc. with more to follow later on. There's also a really nice welcome video from Dean Treanor on the page.

+1 --- Anyone want to go to the "Admitted Student Reception" on February 26th?

And if so, do we think that a "reception" on a Friday night would include wine? ;-)

Or maybe to really impress us, champagne!

beckstar

Postby beckstar » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:57 pm

is it not the same as the ASD which took place last weekend?

beebs

Postby beebs » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:09 pm

I second the comment about champagne.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:11 pm

beckstar wrote:is it not the same as the ASD which took place last weekend?

Not sure. I kind of hope not, because its a Friday night (at 5pm) and that's a bit late to start what was, for us, a 5 hour day. I'm hoping its just a chance for us to all get together for wine (and champagne!)!!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”