Fordham Class of 2013/2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
danidancer

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby danidancer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:24 pm

WhyBother? wrote:
lietx3 wrote:
WhyBother? wrote:I just thought I would share an update about Fordham for anyone waiting on financial aid. We can stop running to the mailbox for that scholarship letter. I spoke with the Financial Aid office after the admitted students' day and according to the Dean, any merit-based awards have already gone out.

Though that is true, one of the aid people also said that as the people who are extended offers with Merit scholarships decline those scholarships will trickle down so there is yet hope! Just not this early on. She said it would happen closer to deposit date and sometimes even runs in to the summer (June/July)

Hmmm...interesting. If they didn't mention this to me, is that because they figured that none of that trickle-down is coming in my direction? I was offered money to GULC (albeit PT)...so I am kind of surprised that I didn't get anything to Fordham. I know Fordham doesn't have a lot to give, but I LOVE the school and I am trying to figure out how going there could be a responsible choice for me.

+1. I love Fordham and want to stay in NYC if I can, but I'm also really not sure if I can, in good conscience, justify paying sticker when I have $20K/year scholarships to other T20 schools on the table. SIGH.

lietx3

Postby lietx3 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:32 pm

Leverage those scholly's with Fordham.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:01 pm

lietx3 wrote:Leverage those scholly's with Fordham.

I'm certainly going to try. Fordham is notoriously stingy.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:06 pm

AlanShore wrote:i am so jealous. :evil: :evil:

+1

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:15 pm

danidancer wrote:
lietx3 wrote:Leverage those scholly's with Fordham.

I'm certainly going to try. Fordham is notoriously stingy.

I had a meeting with the Financial Aid office a few weeks ago, and the woman that I met with indicated that leveraging other scholarships was not necessarily the way to go. She encouraged me to explain that Fordham was my top choice but that finances were an issue. PM me if you want more info on what we discussed.

beebs

Postby beebs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:44 pm

Still pretty upset I couldn't make it to ASD. However, I went and chatted with the admission office today, and once again, they were amazing. I'm really concerned about finances and career stuff, and they were awesome. I'm going to sit in on a class this week, which I'm so excited for!

Thoughts on housing:

I live in Williamsburg and love it. I don't care who says anything about the L, it's an amazing train. I've taken it home at all hours of the day/night/dawn and have never had a problem. I pay $1000 for a really big room in a two bedroom with a GIANT rooftop. Granted it's a bit ghetto-looking, but the parties thus far have been awesome. However, I'm tossing around the idea of moving closer to school - UWS or Hell's Kitchen.

For those that are looking, I've had amazing success with craigslist. I've found my last two apartments/roommates there. Places go REALLY fast, but if you're willing to set aside a few days to give it a solid effort, there's some luck to be had. That way you can avoid finder-fees, commissions, and miscellaneous other charges. One word of advice: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Any other NYC housing/neighborhood/roommate questions, feel free to PM me or ask away.

kmen

Postby kmen » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:32 pm

I figure this thread should help us learn more about our classmates and the school, so I am going to try and further that end by posing an open question.

(If you live in or are familiar with the area)
What is your favorite place near Fordham?

(If you are familiar with NYC, but not Fordham's immediate surroundings)
What is your favorite place in NYC?

(If you are not familiar with NYC at all)
What is your favorite movie/book?

feel free to answer any and all or none, I just am trying to get some friendly discussions started. By the way one of my favorite places to eat in NYC is Veselka, on 2nd and 9th, which is a reall good Ukranian Deli that I am sure most people have heard of. Favorite movie and book are more serious discussions for me and I won't bother with that just now.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:52 pm

I like it! Here we go:

kmen wrote:I figure this thread should help us learn more about our classmates and the school, so I am going to try and further that end by posing an open question.

I actually don't go out to eat a lot in that area, so I don't have any great suggestions. However, I'm going to the ballet tomorrow and we are checking out this place --LinkRemoved--, so I'll let you all know how that is! Not so close but DELICIOUS and cheap is Saigon Grill on 90th and Amsterdam (also 11th and University).
I'm not super attached to places in particular (unless we are still talking restaurants, of which Saigon Grill is my go to but I did work at Tony's Di Napoli http://tonysnyc.com/for 2 years so I better give it a shout out!), but I do love being outside and there are lots of great places to do that! The Highline, Central Park (generic yes, but true!) and Astoria Park are all great during the spring/summer/fall months.

Oh, and I just thought of another one of my FAVORITE restaurants -- Via Della Pace http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/36243732/new_york_ny/via_della_pace.html on 7th and 2nd. The Lobster Ravioli is incredible and they have chocolate fondue for dessert.

Current favorite: Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman
All time favs: Well, I wrote my master's thesis on Hunter S. Thompson, but he's actually my second favorite writer. My first will always be Kurt Vonnegut, and my favorite book of his is Cat's Cradle. I even have a tattoo on my foot that is a reference to that book.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:58 pm

OK guys! I've been waitlisted at GWU/GULC, so my deposit is Fordham bound.

I'll have to re-think it if I get into one of these, but August's forecast looks sunny with a 90% chance of Fordham.

nygiants

Postby nygiants » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Did anyone get any info about the admitted students' website yet?

kmen

Postby kmen » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:50 pm

nygiants wrote:Did anyone get any info about the admitted students' website yet?

Not yet. I was hopping to get it later today, because they said it would come out today.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:01 pm

nygiants wrote:Did anyone get any info about the admitted students' website yet?

nope, didn't get it either.

BUT, it would be great if somebody shared some info. with me. I was admitted via the status checker, as far back as 12/15, but haven't gotten any information since. What was this ASD that you guys went too? Was it a school sponsored thing or did TLS just setup a group? Totally lost in your convo, :)

kmen

Postby kmen » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:17 pm

monkey85 wrote:

nope, didn't get it either.

BUT, it would be great if somebody shared some info. with me. I was admitted via the status checker, as far back as 12/15, but haven't gotten any information since. What was this ASD that you guys went too? Was it a school sponsored thing or did TLS just setup a group? Totally lost in your convo, :)

I got an email from the school about it. Maybe your email isn't up to date in your file. The ASD was school sponsored, but they will be having two more so don't lament that you missed it.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:00 pm

kmen wrote:I figure this thread should help us learn more about our classmates and the school, so I am going to try and further that end by posing an open question.

feel free to answer any and all or none, I just am trying to get some friendly discussions started. By the way one of my favorite places to eat in NYC is Veselka, on 2nd and 9th, which is a reall good Ukranian Deli that I am sure most people have heard of. Favorite movie and book are more serious discussions for me and I won't bother with that just now.

Near Fordham? Magnolia Bakery on Columbus & 69th. Yes, I know how cliche that is. I still love it there.

Not near Fordham? Candle Cafe, on the UES. Also Il Gattopardo, if you really want to spend money. :mrgreen: That's actually kind of close to Fordham, come to think of it. Live here, go here, love life here.

WhyBother?

Postby WhyBother? » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:08 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Near Fordham? Magnolia Bakery on Columbus & 69th. Yes, I know how cliche that is. I still love it there.

Cliche as Magnolia might be, can you believe I've never been there? I always forget to stop by when I am in the neighborhood. What's the best cupcake to get for my (impending) first visit?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:12 pm

WhyBother? wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

Cliche as Magnolia might be, can you believe I've never been there? I always forget to stop by when I am in the neighborhood. What's the best cupcake to get for my (impending) first visit?

The new Red Cross cupcake. It's $3, and they give $1 to the Red Cross. (Otherwise, vanilla with the sugary frosting is best!)

BTW, I live directly across the street. PM me or something when you go, and if I'm home I'll come by.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:46 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
WhyBother? wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

The new Red Cross cupcake. It's $3, and they give $1 to the Red Cross. (Otherwise, vanilla with the sugary frosting is best!)

BTW, I live directly across the street. PM me or something when you go, and if I'm home I'll come by.

Gotta say guys, I'm much more of a Crumbs fan ;-)

WhyBother?

Postby WhyBother? » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:47 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
WhyBother? wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

Gotta say guys, I'm much more of a Crumbs fan ;-)

OMG- I have definitely been to Crumbs! <3 the Red Velvet with cream cheese filling. They are always too big, though, and I feel horribly throwing the deliciousness out.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:48 pm

WhyBother? wrote:

OMG- I have definitely been to Crumbs! <3 the Red Velvet with cream cheese filling. They are always too big, though, and I feel horribly throwing the deliciousness out.

Yes, Red Velvet is the BEST, but the Pumpkin one is amazing too.

I ALWAYS share with someone else -- they are almost too much for two people! OR you can get the little basket of mini cupcakes to savor for awhile ;-)

kmen

Postby kmen » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:59 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
WhyBother? wrote:

I ALWAYS share with someone else -- they are almost too much for two people! OR you can get the little basket of mini cupcakes to savor for awhile ;-)

Crumbs is excellent, but I just am not really a cupcake guy. I think some of the magic is lost on me.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:10 pm

kmen wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:
WhyBother? wrote:

Crumbs is excellent, but I just am not really a cupcake guy. I think some of the magic is lost on me.

I have a recipe for Irish Car Bomb cupcakes that might make you change your mind:
Guiness Chocolate Cake
Whiskey Chocolate Ganache
Bailey's frosting...

WhyBother?

Postby WhyBother? » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:18 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
kmen wrote:Crumbs is excellent, but I just am not really a cupcake guy. I think some of the magic is lost on me.

I have a recipe for Irish Car Bomb cupcakes that might make you change your mind:
Guiness Chocolate Cake
Bailey's frosting...

You made me drool a little bit on my keyboard. Just kidding.....kinda. Can we have this recipe, please?

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:22 pm

WhyBother? wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:
kmen wrote:Crumbs is excellent, but I just am not really a cupcake guy. I think some of the magic is lost on me.

Guiness Chocolate Cake
Bailey's frosting...

You made me drool a little bit on my keyboard. Just kidding.....kinda. Can we have this recipe, please?

I've made these several times and they are amazing. Enjoy: http://www.sporkorfoon.com/spork_or_a_foon/2009/03/chocolate-whiskey-cupcakes.html

Cardboardbox

Postby Cardboardbox » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:25 pm

I wouldn't even know where to start! :D I practically live on Yelp lol

I usually don't eat around the Fordham area (because it's prohibitively expensive for me XD) but I like alot of places Downtown and in the Village.

If you're in the mood for:
Chinese: Check out Big Wong's in Chinatown. Really cheap, really delicious, especially if you're a congee fan.
Vietnamese: Since we're already in Chinatown, Thai Son is another great place to grab some cheap asian food.
Italian: Easily vies for the best meal I've had in the city, a place called Paprika down by the Village/St. Marks. Again (living on a student budget :P) amazing quality food without breaking the bank.
Thai: If you're in the city, Spice always does the trick, down by Union Sq. as well as a location near St. Marks (never ate at this one, but I figure it's the same as the one by Union). If you're willing to venture to Williamsburg (and I suggest you do as there are ALOT of great places to eat around there) then check out Sea. Best Thai food I've ever had anywhere, amazing apps, amazing entrees, everything!

There's more but those are just a few of my favorites :P

beebs

Postby beebs » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:22 pm

I'll play -

Favorite place by Fordham: The Barnes and Noble at Lincoln Center is pretty chill, I don't really hang out up there that much.

Favorite place not by Fordham: Crocodile Lounge on 14th Street. Buy a drink, get a free pizza. Affectionately referred to as "crack pizza" because, like the moniker suggests, it's unbelievably addicting. Not that I would know about about crack... okay, moving on.

Favorite book: Oh, the Places You'll Go! - Dr. Seuss

Favorite movie: Recently, I thought Up in the Air was fantastic.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”