Fordham Class of 2013/2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
frost
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby frost » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:43 am

Springsteen wrote:Hope everyone is having a great first week of classes! I know that everyone in my section has been really cool, and I've thoroughly enjoyed the material. Btw...has anyone received their refund from financial aid yet? It seems kind of ridiculous that they would credit the money after the date when most people have a rent payment due, and well after we would have had to buy books for class. My account shows a credit posted on Aug. 26, and the office said it takes 3-5 days from that, but who knows with this school!


I'm a 2L so I'm not sure if it's faster for me, but I would imagine it's about the same. I got my refund check two days ago so hopefully yours is in the mail. Glad you're enjoying your first week!

revolution724
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:16 am

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby revolution724 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:47 pm

frost wrote:
Springsteen wrote:Hope everyone is having a great first week of classes! I know that everyone in my section has been really cool, and I've thoroughly enjoyed the material. Btw...has anyone received their refund from financial aid yet? It seems kind of ridiculous that they would credit the money after the date when most people have a rent payment due, and well after we would have had to buy books for class. My account shows a credit posted on Aug. 26, and the office said it takes 3-5 days from that, but who knows with this school!


I'm a 2L so I'm not sure if it's faster for me, but I would imagine it's about the same. I got my refund check two days ago so hopefully yours is in the mail. Glad you're enjoying your first week!


I'm a 2L and I haven't gotten mine yet either. Good luck with that, and may I advise getting on the telephone and knocking some heads together?

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Anyone else surprised by the lack of gunners in their section? Loooove it!

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Honestly? I am loving our school. The profs, the other students... I was thinking about this, this afternoon.
Feeling mighty lucky! (Also Chico? We HAVE to get coffee this week!)

User avatar
Cardboardbox
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:00 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby Cardboardbox » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Aaah, this long weekend is making me lazy :( I have the flex FT schedule which means earliest class of the week is at 3:30 (and one class at 1 but it's only a 50 min legal research) so it's an even longer long weekend, but to add on top of that, my crim law prof is gonna be out this week, which was supposed to be my first 3:30 class so now my first class is at 6:30 on Tuesday. Knowing I have this much time is making it very hard to sit down and study even though I know I have to...especially our first legal writing assignment

Edit: Oh and to get back on topic, I too am loving the professors, the classmates and the school as a whole =D I know some of you are in PT and I don't know if you got student advisors too but I'm guessing you did? But that's awesome as well, having an accomplished 3L be available to guide you through anything you might be confused about.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby hannah87 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:36 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Anyone else surprised by the lack of gunners in their section? Loooove it!


i have some gunners in mine :?

Wingdw
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:21 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby Wingdw » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:59 pm

Springsteen wrote:Hope everyone is having a great first week of classes! I know that everyone in my section has been really cool, and I've thoroughly enjoyed the material. Btw...has anyone received their refund from financial aid yet? It seems kind of ridiculous that they would credit the money after the date when most people have a rent payment due, and well after we would have had to buy books for class. My account shows a credit posted on Aug. 26, and the office said it takes 3-5 days from that, but who knows with this school!


Yeah man I haven't got my refund from the student loans yet either. My account also shows the credit posted August 26th. I sent financial aid an email about it this weekend and intend to follow up on that in person at their office if need be. It is rather ridiculous that there would be this much of a delay on the transaction... I assume the money will be coming through shortly though. Good luck!

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:22 pm

Cardboardbox wrote:Aaah, this long weekend is making me lazy :( I have the flex FT schedule which means earliest class of the week is at 3:30 (and one class at 1 but it's only a 50 min legal research) so it's an even longer long weekend, but to add on top of that, my crim law prof is gonna be out this week, which was supposed to be my first 3:30 class so now my first class is at 6:30 on Tuesday. Knowing I have this much time is making it very hard to sit down and study even though I know I have to...especially our first legal writing assignment

Edit: Oh and to get back on topic, I too am loving the professors, the classmates and the school as a whole =D I know some of you are in PT and I don't know if you got student advisors too but I'm guessing you did? But that's awesome as well, having an accomplished 3L be available to guide you through anything you might be confused about.


Don't you have like....a three hour property class or is that for torts? I totally couldn't sit in class for the at long.

summoner
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby summoner » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:59 pm

That Fordham degree will be very versatile...The scary thing is for her to get biglaw at 160k out of law school, she was very likely top 10%, and probably top 5%.

pocket herc
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby pocket herc » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:06 pm

she graduated in 2007. Back then, something around 40% were landing big-law.

summoner
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby summoner » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:47 pm

pocket herc wrote:she graduated in 2007. Back then, something around 40% were landing big-law.


Not real biglaw, though; biglaw does not equal just a large-sized law firm; at 160k she was at one of the NLJ top firms.

pocket herc
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby pocket herc » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:50 pm

I know several people not in top 10% from Fordham who got biglaw as you defined it. 2007 was a very different time.

summoner
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby summoner » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:58 pm

pocket herc wrote:I know several people not in top 10% from Fordham who got biglaw as you defined it. 2007 was a very different time.


Alright, let's assume for the sake of argument she was only top 40%. A top 40% Fordham grad with 2 years of biglaw experience can't get a job. My point is still there. I do not understand everyone here's enthusiasm.

1Levening2013
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby 1Levening2013 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:01 pm

summoner wrote:
pocket herc wrote:I know several people not in top 10% from Fordham who got biglaw as you defined it. 2007 was a very different time.


Alright, let's assume for the sake of argument she was only top 40%. A top 40% Fordham grad with 2 years of biglaw experience can't get a job. My point is still there. I do not understand everyone here's enthusiasm.


noteworthy comments from someone who paid sticker at UofM

go home

summoner
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby summoner » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:07 pm

1Levening2013 wrote:
summoner wrote:
pocket herc wrote:I know several people not in top 10% from Fordham who got biglaw as you defined it. 2007 was a very different time.


Alright, let's assume for the sake of argument she was only top 40%. A top 40% Fordham grad with 2 years of biglaw experience can't get a job. My point is still there. I do not understand everyone here's enthusiasm.


noteworthy comments from someone who paid sticker at UofM

go home


Hahaha, I can't go home, I still have a few more hours to work at my high-paying job. Fortunately for you, you'll be able to stay home all day when you graduate. On account of you WON'T have a high-paying job. The funny thing is just by virtue of graduating a few years ago rather than in the near future, as you will, I will have a leg up on you for the rest of our careers. Not fair, is it?

And I freely admit I should never have gone to law school, definitely shouldn't have paid sticker, etc. etc. Doesn't invalidate my point. But the funny thing is, I don't have to win any argument, because what I say is true, and deep down in your lemming hearts you know it's true. Whatever is said here, whatever arguments you come up with, whatever personal attacks you have, when you get out on the market you're screwed and you know it.

pocket herc
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby pocket herc » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:11 pm

Don't worry man, I think I am screwed. But your vitriol and tone do not help. I don't know what motivates you to post here, not entirely sure you are in as good a position as you claim, and if you are, then I really don't understand why you are getting so worked up.

summoner
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby summoner » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:16 pm

pocket herc wrote:Don't worry man, I think I am screwed. But your vitriol and tone do not help. I don't know what motivates you to post here, not entirely sure you are in as good a position as you claim, and if you are, then I really don't understand why you are getting so worked up.


Because I am angry at the ABA, and the law schools, for lying to me and everyone else back then. I am angry at having to work a job that, while lucrative, is unpleasant, because I was lied to that a JD has any use outside law. I want many of you to drop out and find happiness somewhere else, and as a result, force law schools to go out of business, and I want the lying administrators to have to look for jobs themselves and suffer the same as so many of us had to suffer. I want the ABA to be stripped of its accreditation responsibilities.

pocket herc
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby pocket herc » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:19 pm

ok, well, there you were kind of convincing. Just lay off the demeaning stuff, stop calling people "lemmings", just misdirecting your anger.

revolution724
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:16 am

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby revolution724 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:23 pm

summoner wrote:
pocket herc wrote:Don't worry man, I think I am screwed. But your vitriol and tone do not help. I don't know what motivates you to post here, not entirely sure you are in as good a position as you claim, and if you are, then I really don't understand why you are getting so worked up.


Because I am angry at the ABA, and the law schools, for lying to me and everyone else back then. I am angry at having to work a job that, while lucrative, is unpleasant, because I was lied to that a JD has any use outside law. I want many of you to drop out and find happiness somewhere else, and as a result, force law schools to go out of business, and I want the lying administrators to have to look for jobs themselves and suffer the same as so many of us had to suffer. I want the ABA to be stripped of its accreditation responsibilities.


Don't you have billable hours to complete or something? Good God, man, get a life.

1Levening2013
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby 1Levening2013 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:24 pm

summoner wrote:
1Levening2013 wrote:
summoner wrote:
pocket herc wrote:I know several people not in top 10% from Fordham who got biglaw as you defined it. 2007 was a very different time.


Alright, let's assume for the sake of argument she was only top 40%. A top 40% Fordham grad with 2 years of biglaw experience can't get a job. My point is still there. I do not understand everyone here's enthusiasm.


noteworthy comments from someone who paid sticker at UofM

go home


Hahaha, I can't go home, I still have a few more hours to work at my high-paying job. Fortunately for you, you'll be able to stay home all day when you graduate. On account of you WON'T have a high-paying job. The funny thing is just by virtue of graduating a few years ago rather than in the near future, as you will, I will have a leg up on you for the rest of our careers. Not fair, is it?

And I freely admit I should never have gone to law school, definitely shouldn't have paid sticker, etc. etc. Doesn't invalidate my point. But the funny thing is, I don't have to win any argument, because what I say is true, and deep down in your lemming hearts you know it's true. Whatever is said here, whatever arguments you come up with, whatever personal attacks you have, when you get out on the market you're screwed and you know it.


i'm not going to waste my time arguing on a forum to some idiot who can't take the lack of success they are experiencing b/c of dumb personal decisions. you probably picked the wrong person to attempt to throw these lame personal attacks at, given the fact that, despite being a law student, i can almost guarantee that i make more $ than you do currently. as my username suggests, i am an evening student, with substantial experience working in a much more lucrative industry than the legal industry. i will graduate with no debt, and never have to become a lawyer if i do not want to. my motivations for getting a J.D. are different than most.

you can continue to throw insults around like you are king. but just know that people are sick of you and others coming in and infiltrating these threads.

take it somewhere else....you and your crew are really annoying.

summoner
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby summoner » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:32 pm

pocket herc wrote:ok, well, there you were kind of convincing.


Listen, I feel bad for most of you guys. My post started out snarky because everytime I or other people discuss the issue we're immediately hit with sarcasm and nastiness. I know it doesn't seem like it, and maybe we could be a little more thick-skinned and pleasant about it, but I've seen firsthand what it's like out there, and I just don't get the enthusiasm here. And we're also trying to get you new students to hold your schools accountable. Part of the reason I post here is because I think there is a backlash growing, and in at most a few more years it is going to hit law schools hard. I wish someone had laid out the facts to me back in 2003 when I decided to go to law school, even if they were rude or hyperbolic. But back then we didn't even have scambloggers.

frost
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby frost » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:53 pm

summoner wrote:
pocket herc wrote:ok, well, there you were kind of convincing.


Listen, I feel bad for most of you guys. My post started out snarky because everytime I or other people discuss the issue we're immediately hit with sarcasm and nastiness. I know it doesn't seem like it, and maybe we could be a little more thick-skinned and pleasant about it, but I've seen firsthand what it's like out there, and I just don't get the enthusiasm here. And we're also trying to get you new students to hold your schools accountable. Part of the reason I post here is because I think there is a backlash growing, and in at most a few more years it is going to hit law schools hard. I wish someone had laid out the facts to me back in 2003 when I decided to go to law school, even if they were rude or hyperbolic. But back then we didn't even have scambloggers.


I think your problem is that you assume everyone wants a biglaw job after law school. I agree that a vast majority of people at fordham won't make 160k upon graduation. As a 2L, I think it's fair to say that only about 10% will ultimately get firm jobs this summer. Still though, Fordham has a great reputation in the NYC region, not only in law firms but in government agencies, non-profits, public interest organizations, corporations, etc. There ARE a lot of options out there for those with open minds, something that you seem to be lacking. Take your bitterness somewhere else. It's one thing to tell people it's unrealistic to make 100k+ (which I think is true) and something else to tell them their law degree isn't ever going to be worth it. Personally, I think that's an attack you should make on colleges charging 40k a year for a liberal arts degree that really doesn't give you any practical knowledge. But a law school absolutely trains you to become a lawyer, and there's a lot more you can do after paying 180k for a law degree than after paying 180k for a college psychology degree. But again, that's just my .02 for why my fordham law degree is more than worthwhile.

JeanMarie
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:42 am

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby JeanMarie » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:04 am

frost wrote:
summoner wrote:
pocket herc wrote:ok, well, there you were kind of convincing.


Listen, I feel bad for most of you guys. My post started out snarky because everytime I or other people discuss the issue we're immediately hit with sarcasm and nastiness. I know it doesn't seem like it, and maybe we could be a little more thick-skinned and pleasant about it, but I've seen firsthand what it's like out there, and I just don't get the enthusiasm here. And we're also trying to get you new students to hold your schools accountable. Part of the reason I post here is because I think there is a backlash growing, and in at most a few more years it is going to hit law schools hard. I wish someone had laid out the facts to me back in 2003 when I decided to go to law school, even if they were rude or hyperbolic. But back then we didn't even have scambloggers.


There ARE a lot of options out there for those with open minds, something that you seem to be lacking. Take your bitterness somewhere else. It's one thing to tell people it's unrealistic to make 100k+ (which I think is true) and something else to tell them their law degree isn't ever going to be worth it. Personally, I think that's an attack you should make on colleges charging 40k a year for a liberal arts degree that really doesn't give you any practical knowledge. But a law school absolutely trains you to become a lawyer, and there's a lot more you can do after paying 180k for a law degree than after paying 180k for a college psychology degree. But again, that's just my .02 for why my fordham law degree is more than worthwhile.


Have you seen the article posted on ABA Journal on the Fordham grad who did BigLaw and now has to be a cleaning lady? Someone should post that.

For most people, the law degree is not worth it. This applies even more at a lower-ranked school like Fordham.

LAW SCHOOLS DO NOT TRAIN YOU TO BECOME A LAWYER

Is a law school degree worth more than a BA? It depends. A BA from a good university is certainly worth more than a law degree from an average law school like Fordham. It opens doors rather than closes them. It's a versatile degree. Law is a degree that can only be used to your advantage in this suffering, bloated profession. It closes doors if you want to look elsewhere.

frost
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby frost » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:01 am

Again, I agree that the law degree isn't worth it for people who wrongly assume that they'll get a great job or lots of money solely by virtue of having a law degree. My point is that those who have thoroughly considered the risks and advantages when applying, don't need to hear this stuff from you. Yes, law school is difficult. Yes, it doesn't train you to be a lawyer - but this is true whether you're at Fordham or Yale. It's not a case for everyone that their law degree won't be worth it. I'm just asking you to cater your messages to people who have the wrong idea about law school (that lawyer = $$$$) rather than giving a blanket statement that a law degree just isn't worth it, period.

Also, Fordham is a great institution for those who rise up to the challenge. It will open almost all doors if you do well after your 1L year.

JeanMarie
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:42 am

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby JeanMarie » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:49 am

frost wrote:Also, Fordham is a great institution for those who rise up to the challenge. It will open almost all doors if you do well after your 1L year.


Not true at all.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest