Fordham Class of 2013/2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
nyc1213

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby nyc1213 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:30 am

Springsteen wrote:Has anyone moving from out of town secured housing yet? I've begun speaking to brokers and such and the impression I'm getting is that it is going to be extremely difficult to get a studio for $1500 or less anywhere decent on the west side. Where are you guys looking/what resources are you using? Any input from people already living in the city would be great!

Yes, it's going to be very hard if not impossible to find something that cheap. I don't think you'll have much more luck on the east side, but there is a bus that pops right through Central Park on 66th and would be an easy commute, just in case.

For anyone looking, I highly recommend streeteasy.com. That's where I found my most recent place and I've had friends who have had luck as well. It's great because it's generally pretty legit and well-organized - can sort by price, size, etc. I'm not sure everything on there is real, just like Craigslist, but we definitely found more places to go look at on there than on Craigslist.
I do think Craigslist is better if you're looking for roomies, though. I'm not sure StreetEasy even has shares listed. I wasn't looking for that kind of arrangement, so I can't say one way or the other.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:59 pm

nyc1213 wrote:
Springsteen wrote:Has anyone moving from out of town secured housing yet? I've begun speaking to brokers and such and the impression I'm getting is that it is going to be extremely difficult to get a studio for $1500 or less anywhere decent on the west side. Where are you guys looking/what resources are you using? Any input from people already living in the city would be great!

Yes, it's going to be very hard if not impossible to find something that cheap. I don't think you'll have much more luck on the east side, but there is a bus that pops right through Central Park on 66th and would be an easy commute, just in case.

For anyone looking, I highly recommend streeteasy.com. That's where I found my most recent place and I've had friends who have had luck as well. It's great because it's generally pretty legit and well-organized - can sort by price, size, etc. I'm not sure everything on there is real, just like Craigslist, but we definitely found more places to go look at on there than on Craigslist.
I do think Craigslist is better if you're looking for roomies, though. I'm not sure StreetEasy even has shares listed. I wasn't looking for that kind of arrangement, so I can't say one way or the other.

Just joining the choir here. Expand your budget to 1750ish or look in the 120s+ on the west side, or find roommates. You're going to have to compromise either on price, location, or roommates, as I don't think even one shoeboxed size studio exists in all of UWS (70s-100 or so) for the price you've listed.

Also, I am a strong advocate of rent-by-owner apartments on CL, as you can skip a typically costly brokers fee.

One more thing... the second you see a place you like, take it. That moment. Do not leave the apartment, because if you like it, the next guy will too and he'll have a checkbook in his back pocket.

Good luck dude

Springsteen

Postby Springsteen » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:10 pm

tesoro wrote:
nyc1213 wrote:

Just joining the choir here. Expand your budget to 1750ish or look in the 120s+ on the west side, or find roommates. You're going to have to compromise either on price, location, or roommates, as I don't think even one shoeboxed size studio exists in all of UWS (70s-100 or so) for the price you've listed.

Also, I am a strong advocate of rent-by-owner apartments on CL, as you can skip a typically costly brokers fee.

One more thing... the second you see a place you like, take it. That moment. Do not leave the apartment, because if you like it, the next guy will too and he'll have a checkbook in his back pocket.

Good luck dude

Thanks! I'm beginning to look more closely at Astoria, figuring that not having to deal with the potential of difficult roommates as a 1L outweighs the need to live on the UWS. I figure that I can always decide later on that I wouldn't mind dealing with roommates and move to Manhattan as a 2 or 3L.

nygiants

Postby nygiants » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Springsteen wrote:
tesoro wrote:
nyc1213 wrote:

Good luck dude

Thanks! I'm beginning to look more closely at Astoria, figuring that not having to deal with the potential of difficult roommates as a 1L outweighs the need to live on the UWS. I figure that I can always decide later on that I wouldn't mind dealing with roommates and move to Manhattan as a 2 or 3L.

This was my logic also, I'm in Queens too, with an express QM bus to columbus circle that picks up and drops off at my corner... Winds up being 40 minutes door to door, not terrible.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:34 am

Queens is fine, but express buses are pretty expensive... I almost wish my condo was in Manhattan :) an hour (can't bet on any less) to work in the morning, half an hour to class and another hour home is still a lot of time on the road every day...

tittle-tattle

Postby tittle-tattle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:47 am

Laptops - any suggestions?

lietx3

Postby lietx3 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:48 am

Has anyone received a confirmation e-mail from Fordham informing them they received official transcripts? I sent mine mid June and still no word.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:51 am

lietx3 wrote:Has anyone received a confirmation e-mail from Fordham informing them they received official transcripts? I sent mine mid June and still no word.

yup, I emailed Kathryn and she wrote back confirming that they received mine.

Citizen Snipz

Postby Citizen Snipz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Does anyone know which classes we'll be taking our first semester?

beckstar

Postby beckstar » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:04 pm

has anyone received the letter about choosing morning or afternoon classes yet?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:19 pm

tesoro wrote: Expand your budget to 1750ish or look in the 120s+ on the west side, or find roommates. You're going to have to compromise either on price, location, or roommates, as I don't think even one shoeboxed size studio exists in all of UWS (70s-100 or so) for the price you've listed.

Good luck dude

ALL of the above. Especially the part of taking something you like the MINUTE you see it. The place I live now (UWS)? Market was so tight when I found it that I started carrying financials from my bank with me to every showing - in the end? That was a major factor in my getting the place. (This was to buy, not rent, but the concept is the same: go out there carrying every single thing that could help you get a place.) I live close to school and if I hear of anything I'll post it in here...

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:37 pm

beckstar wrote:has anyone received the letter about choosing morning or afternoon classes yet?

you're going to Fordham?!

beckstar

Postby beckstar » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:27 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
beckstar wrote:has anyone received the letter about choosing morning or afternoon classes yet?

hahaha, yeah. what's up

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:52 pm

beckstar wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:

hahaha, yeah. what's up

nothing really. I just remember you from another thread where we argued over food in the city. I just never you posting in this thread until now!

queenofhearts

Postby queenofhearts » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Thoughts on the "flex schedule"?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:30 pm

queenofhearts wrote:Thoughts on the "flex schedule"?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=125327&p=3290292#p3290292

started a thread about it

Citizen Snipz

Postby Citizen Snipz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:39 pm

I thought civil procedure was a two semester class? No Civ Pro on that schedule?

eightdaysaweek

Postby eightdaysaweek » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:35 pm

Is anyone interested in getting a pre orientation happy hour in city in the next couple weeks?

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:54 pm

eightdaysaweek wrote:Is anyone interested in getting a pre orientation happy hour in city in the next couple weeks?

Sure.

Also, is anyone stocking up on supplies or waiting until orientation to see what the profs suggest (notebooks, binders, etc)?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:51 am

LaurenGayle wrote:
eightdaysaweek wrote:Is anyone interested in getting a pre orientation happy hour in city in the next couple weeks?

Sure.

Also, is anyone stocking up on supplies or waiting until orientation to see what the profs suggest (notebooks, binders, etc)?

Good question Lauren Gayle (is that you're real name? :shock: -no wait, don't answer that),

I'm not sure what more we would need outside of notebooks, pens, pencils (erasing is a valuable tool) and a big ass backpack...

mistywisty

Postby mistywisty » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:26 pm

Yep! I am always game for happy hour(s).

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:52 pm

mistywisty wrote:

Yep! I am always game for happy hour(s).

should be le funz

make sure ya do it after i come back from paris (august 5-11)

:o

Springsteen

Postby Springsteen » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:55 am

I'm in!

queenofhearts

Postby queenofhearts » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:16 pm

Springsteen wrote:

I'm in!

same!

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:53 pm

Happy Hours are good... Anyone else still having billing issues? The bill is supposed to be due on Wednesday...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”