Fordham Class of 2013/2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
jlk86

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby jlk86 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:43 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Didn't realize there was a Shake Shack insanely close (well, 15 blocks) to Fordham!!

Super happy

http://www.yelp.com/biz/shake-shack-new-york-5

Practically next door to my apt.....could be trouble.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Maybe a stupid question but what is the aep?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:16 pm

jlk86 wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:Didn't realize there was a Shake Shack insanely close (well, 15 blocks) to Fordham!!

Super happy

http://www.yelp.com/biz/shake-shack-new-york-5

Practically next door to my apt.....could be trouble.

four blocks from me!

Neighbor?

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:03 am

LaurenGayle wrote:Maybe a stupid question but what is the aep?

it's something called the Academic Enrichment Program. certain students are invited to a prep program that takes place in the week before school starts to help them get a head start. Admissions told me it's aimed at a diverse group of students like non-trads, older students, and minorities. if those who were originally invited decline to attend, they might invite the rest of us to participate :D .

SaraT

Postby SaraT » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:04 am

Wingdw wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:Wait WHAT? I don't see anything on the admitted students site or even the link provided about the book or the case.

Well I just went back to the website and observed that Bronx Bum is right, the whole post that Chico linked before has been removed.

My best guess as to the whole mess is that A) That was, in fact, entirely last year's message to incoming law students and B) as they continue to consolidate the law school website with Fordham University website this occured as a technical glitch / screw up.

So I guess we're right back where we started haha. Oh and on a sidenote (which backs up this hypothesis) I went by the Fordham bookstore today, after talking my way past security due to my lack of a Fordham ID, and asked them about Whose Monet, they said they didn't have it.

I just looked at the admitted student site and the checklist has the book listed but no case. Does this mean we do have to read it?

Wingdw

Postby Wingdw » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:51 pm

SaraT wrote:
Wingdw wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:Wait WHAT? I don't see anything on the admitted students site or even the link provided about the book or the case.

Well I just went back to the website and observed that Bronx Bum is right, the whole post that Chico linked before has been removed.

My best guess as to the whole mess is that A) That was, in fact, entirely last year's message to incoming law students and B) as they continue to consolidate the law school website with Fordham University website this occured as a technical glitch / screw up.

So I guess we're right back where we started haha. Oh and on a sidenote (which backs up this hypothesis) I went by the Fordham bookstore today, after talking my way past security due to my lack of a Fordham ID, and asked them about Whose Monet, they said they didn't have it.

I just looked at the admitted student site and the checklist has the book listed but no case. Does this mean we do have to read it?

Yeah I looked at the website again after reading your post, that separate checklist is clearly for 2010 so I guess they finally gave us this year's information, and it does have that book so those who ordered it aren't actually left out in the cold after all heh.

meluvmuzic

Postby meluvmuzic » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:40 pm

To all my fellow evening students, how many of you are planning on holding down a job during 1L? I just worked out a preliminary schedule moments ago with my boss and was curious as to how many people would be doing the work/school arrangement.

Full disclosure, I'll only be working 20-25 hours a week in a very lax office environment.

nmkraz

Postby nmkraz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:05 pm

"To all my fellow evening students, how many of you are planning on holding down a job during 1L? I just worked out a preliminary schedule moments ago with my boss and was curious as to how many people would be doing the work/school arrangement.

Full disclosure, I'll only be working 20-25 hours a week in a very lax office environment."

I'll be working 35 hours a week. and I travel into the city an hour each way. so add 10 hours for travel. but i guess i could do some studying on the train, so not all is lost.

vinc

Postby vinc » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:24 pm

I will not be working at all. Am I the only evening student not working?

nmkraz

Postby nmkraz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:28 pm

vinc wrote:I will not be working at all. Am I the only evening student not working?

No, I think most students will not be working. usually ppl go into the night progrma b/c they werent able to get in to the day program. They switch after one yr.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:06 pm

nmkraz wrote:
vinc wrote:I will not be working at all. Am I the only evening student not working?

No, I think most students will not be working. usually ppl go into the night progrma b/c they werent able to get in to the day program. They switch after one yr.

I think that mentality is outdated as of this year when USNWR penalized lower numbers of evening students. Hence, the program is cut in half and is being attended by people who specifically requested it (assumedly for work reasons?).

At any rate, I'll be attending the evening program and working 40-55 hours/wk. It's nice to know that I'm in good company.

nmkraz

Postby nmkraz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:53 am

tesoro wrote:
nmkraz wrote:

I think that mentality is outdated as of this year when USNWR penalized lower numbers of evening students. Hence, the program is cut in half and is being attended by people who specifically requested it (assumedly for work reasons?).

At any rate, I'll be attending the evening program and working 40-55 hours/wk. It's nice to know that I'm in good company.

You may be right. But when I was at the bbq a few weeks ago..Every single night student I spoke to was switching into the day program. Then again I only spoke with 5/6 students.

1Levening2013

Postby 1Levening2013 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:15 pm

nmkraz wrote:
tesoro wrote:
nmkraz wrote:

You may be right. But when I was at the bbq a few weeks ago..Every single night student I spoke to was switching into the day program. Then again I only spoke with 5/6 students.

fwiw, this past year i think we pretty much determined that <25% of the class actually held full time jobs...beyond that there are always the people who start out the semester with jobs, and do not end the semester with a job

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:27 pm

tesoro wrote:
nmkraz wrote:

This. I think there are other "legitimate" reasons to attend PT besides full time work, and I am saddened that our school cut the program, but I understand why they did. (See GW.) I am not sure the percentage working full time was under a quarter, though. The estimates I heard were about 1/4 to 1/3, and more people quit as the semester wore on and they saw what the workload was going to be like. I had previously worked full time, but during the school year I worked/interned part time, and that was a good solution for me. Working can certainly be done (and a high GPA maintained), and there will likely be more people doing so this year.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:20 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
tesoro wrote:
nmkraz wrote:

This. I think there are other "legitimate" reasons to attend PT besides full time work, and I am saddened that our school cut the program, but I understand why they did. (See GW.) I am not sure the percentage working full time was under a quarter, though. The estimates I heard were about 1/4 to 1/3, and more people quit as the semester wore on and they saw what the workload was going to be like. I had previously worked full time, but during the school year I worked/interned part time, and that was a good solution for me. Working can certainly be done (and a high GPA maintained), and there will likely be more people doing so this year.

Any word on when Fordham is going to get a new dean? I hope they hit a home run because this is probably shaping up to be a very important decision........

Wingdw

Postby Wingdw » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:38 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Any word on when Fordham is going to get a new dean? I hope they hit a home run because this is probably shaping up to be a very important decision........

My understanding is that Fordham, as is the usual practice, has an interim Dean right now drawn from the faculty, Prof. Michael Martin, while they decide on a permanent Dean over the next semester or so. These processes usually involve a search committee and some time.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:43 pm

Wingdw wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:Any word on when Fordham is going to get a new dean? I hope they hit a home run because this is probably shaping up to be a very important decision........

My understanding is that Fordham, as is the usual practice, has an interim Dean right now drawn from the faculty, Prof. Michael Martin, while they decide on a permanent Dean over the next semester or so. These processes usually involve a search committee and some time.

Hope we don't get dinged in the rankings :?

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:03 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
Wingdw wrote:

Hope we don't get dinged in the rankings :?

Regionally speaking, Fordham's relative place is rigid. So don't lose sleep over it, the number itself doesn't matter

lietx3

Postby lietx3 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:32 pm

For those of you who have done the my.fordham.edu stuff, and checked your registration - do you have a ''detailed'' schedule yet? Mine says i'm not registered yet... was wondering maybe I'm checking too early - if not then I should probably call.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:16 pm

lietx3 wrote:For those of you who have done the my.fordham.edu stuff, and checked your registration - do you have a ''detailed'' schedule yet? Mine says i'm not registered yet... was wondering maybe I'm checking too early - if not then I should probably call.

the school registers for us- they said we would get our schedules in early August.

lietx3

Postby lietx3 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Ah okay thanks!! The checklist said by august so I thought I'd check in here first.

vinc

Postby vinc » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:06 pm

I know this is kind of a random question but it's important for me to know, to anyone who doesn't have a scholarship, on your myfordham.edu when you log in to financial aid do you have a tab called awards?

meluvmuzic

Postby meluvmuzic » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:16 pm

vinc wrote:I know this is kind of a random question but it's important for me to know, to anyone who doesn't have a scholarship, on your myfordham.edu when you log in to financial aid do you have a tab called awards?

Yes, and they so graciously awarded me with loans.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:10 pm

hannah87 wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:Maybe a stupid question but what is the aep?

it's something called the Academic Enrichment Program. certain students are invited to a prep program that takes place in the week before school starts to help them get a head start. Admissions told me it's aimed at a diverse group of students like non-trads, older students, and minorities. if those who were originally invited decline to attend, they might invite the rest of us to participate :D .

Thanks Hannah! :-)

Huluba23

Postby Huluba23 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:28 am

Hey everyone. Did u all get your fordham log-in names for myfordham yet? I didnt get mine and im starting to get nervous.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”