Fordham Class of 2013/2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
ZXCVBNM

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Postby ZXCVBNM » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:14 am

beckstar wrote:anyone doing the aep?

you should it's a GREAT program!

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:39 am

ZXCVBNM wrote:

How'd your first year wind up? Still happy with going to Fordham/ what are your summer plans?

MrSoOoFLy

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:37 am

SaraT wrote:

Im doing it...sounds like it should be helpful.

I'll be doing it as well

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:09 am

ZXCVBNM wrote:

I wasn't offered the program, but my classmate would know. :mrgreen:

nmkraz

Postby nmkraz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:16 am

Where did it say we have to read a case from the supreme court. All i saw was the moet book?

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:19 am

nmkraz wrote:Where did it say we have to read a case from the supreme court. All i saw was the moet book?

Under this section on the admitted students "Home and Checklist" page:

THINGS TO DO BY AUGUST

Download and print Skills Workshop Handout (PDF).

The "Download and print..." text is actually a hyperlink to a PDF of the GARRATT v. DAILEY case. So, one needs to read this case for the Skills Workshop on either Aug. 23 (day students) or Aug. 22 (evening students).

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:54 am

rockthelaw wrote:
nmkraz wrote:Where did it say we have to read a case from the supreme court. All i saw was the moet book?

THINGS TO DO BY AUGUST

The "Download and print..." text is actually a hyperlink to a PDF of the GARRATT v. DAILEY case. So, one needs to read this case for the Skills Workshop on either Aug. 23 (day students) or Aug. 22 (evening students).

I hate that they haven't updated the forms for 2010. The Garratt case sheet says 2009, as does the Questionnaire (where it mentions friends and family day). Annoying!

beckstar

Postby beckstar » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:19 pm

i'm clearly not at all ready for law school.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:14 pm

hannah87 wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:

THINGS TO DO BY AUGUST

I hate that they haven't updated the forms for 2010. The Garratt case sheet says 2009, as does the Questionnaire (where it mentions friends and family day). Annoying!

True, though an evening cruise would be cool.

It looks like someone just copied and pasted last year's Home and Checklist page. I hope they update it.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:08 pm

h
Last edited by Bronx Bum on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wingdw

Postby Wingdw » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:55 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:Wait WHAT? I don't see anything on the admitted students site or even the link provided about the book or the case.

Well I just went back to the website and observed that Bronx Bum is right, the whole post that Chico linked before has been removed.

My best guess as to the whole mess is that A) That was, in fact, entirely last year's message to incoming law students and B) as they continue to consolidate the law school website with Fordham University website this occured as a technical glitch / screw up.

So I guess we're right back where we started haha. Oh and on a sidenote (which backs up this hypothesis) I went by the Fordham bookstore today, after talking my way past security due to my lack of a Fordham ID, and asked them about Whose Monet, they said they didn't have it.

Also, if you guys need a immunization shot or a Tetanus booster like I did, and/or you just want to submit your immunization records directly to health services without having your doctor have to fill out that Fordham immunization form, that's what I did today. You just need to have sent in your Fordham registration forms and have set up an appointment with health services. The shot was $46.

MrSoOoFLy

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:34 am

lol smh @ me being an overachiever and ordering Whose Monet when I may not have to read it :(

beckstar

Postby beckstar » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:18 am

wait, where can i find the info on the health records stuff we have to send.

Citizen Snipz

Postby Citizen Snipz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:24 pm

nm

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:19 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:lol smh @ me being an overachiever and ordering Whose Monet when I may not have to read it :(

+1 to this whole thing, especially the smh. Although I did start reading it and it's not terrible so I guess that's something.

1Levening2013

Postby 1Levening2013 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:29 pm

finished my first year as an evening student at the end of may. if anyone has any specific questions they think i could answer, fire away.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:04 pm

1Levening2013 wrote:finished my first year as an evening student at the end of may. if anyone has any specific questions they think i could answer, fire away.

Thoughts on Fordham, in general? Likes, dislikes, etc.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:08 pm

1Levening2013 wrote:finished my first year as an evening student at the end of may. if anyone has any specific questions they think i could answer, fire away.

Did you work a full-time job?

If so, I have a few.

How many hours per week?
How many hours per week did you find to study? Typically, on what days?
Did you take vacation days during your finals periods?
How did you do?
Did you have time to enjoy life, date, go to movies, see the kids (whatever's applicable)? Was it enough time? Do you consider yourself to be generally happy?

Do you like your current job? If so, do you find law school to be worthwhile? After experiencing 1L, would you make the decision to start law school again, or would you opt to enjoy your pre-law school life style instead? Rephrased: are you happy with your decision, and looking forward to the next 3 years?

I'm asking because I'm having second thoughts. Insight from someone who's been in the game would be tremendous.

edit: updated the questions list. I think I've got them all out this time.

edit: one more, are you paying sticker? Are you taking out loans or paying out of pocket? If out-of-pocket, does the disparity in your quality of life irk you, or is it worth it?

nmkraz

Postby nmkraz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:20 pm

I would luv to hear an answer to these questions as well.Not thinkin abt backing out but deff nervous abt how i'm gonna manage..
tesoro wrote:

If so, I have a few.

How many hours per week?
How many hours per week did you find to study? Typically, on what days?
Did you take vacation days during your finals periods?
How did you do?
Did you have time to enjoy life, date, go to movies, see the kids (whatever's applicable)? Was it enough time? Do you consider yourself to be generally happy?

Do you like your current job? If so, do you find law school to be worthwhile? After experiencing 1L, would you make the decision to start law school again, or would you opt to enjoy your pre-law school life style instead? Rephrased: are you happy with your decision, and looking forward to the next 3 years?

I'm asking because I'm having second thoughts. Insight from someone who's been in the game would be tremendous.

edit: updated the questions list. I think I've got them all out this time.

edit: one more, are you paying sticker? Are you taking out loans or paying out of pocket? If out-of-pocket, does the disparity in your quality of life irk you, or is it worth it?

1Levening2013

Postby 1Levening2013 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:39 pm

tesoro wrote:

yes i did (and still am--i am part of the minority of students who plan on remaining as an evening student)

If so, I have a few.

How many hours per week? 55-60hrs/week
How many hours per week did you find to study? i probably studied b/w 12-15hr/wk. i should note, though, that during the weeks leading up to finals, and during the time where we had writing assignments due, these #s skyrocketed, and i spent just about every free moment i had doing work Typically, on what days? i only did work on the weekends. it obviously depends on what kind of job you have, but for someone like myself who puts in substantial time at the office during the week, you simply do not have time to do work outside of the weekend. just keep in mind that you have class mon-thurs until b/w 8:20-9:45, so doing work after that is on you--for me, i'd rather get to bed
Did you take vacation days during your finals periods? i did take time off. for first semester finals i took a total of 6 days off, and for second semester finals i took 5 days off. i can't stress how important this will be. everyone is different and has different study methods, but i think it is fair to say that you will be at a huge disadvantage if you do not take some time off to study. if i had more flexibility at work, i'd take more days--not a huge # more, but maybe 7days or so
How did you do? i finished this year top 25%
Did you have time to enjoy life, date, go to movies, see the kids (whatever's applicable)?
i have to be honest and this is probably the most difficult part of being a working law student: you will have to make many sacrifices in the rest of your life. with that being said, though, i think if you manage your time correctly, you can still have a more than fruitful social life (i am still young myself and like to go out just as much as the next guy). as a quick breakdown for you, you will have class mon-thurs so going out then is nearly impossible. i usually keep friday night as a lower-key night, maybe going out to dinner/catching a movie. i usually hit the books hard all day on saturday and sort of reward myself by going out/doing whatever i want on saturday night (but not going so crazy that i'm not in shape to do a good amount of work on sunday). its a fine line, but i think with a good amount of self control, you can enjoy your social life while succeeding academically

Do you like your current job? i do like my current job...so much to be honest that i may never leave, but with that being said, i still have every intention of graduating from law school (despite my job not being 'legal') If so, do you find law school to be worthwhile? i do find law school to be worthwhile. despite all of the doom and gloom posters out there on TLS, ATL, etc., i still find a law degree to be a worthwhile investment. what you learn in law school is more relevant in your everyday life than probably anything else you've ever learned in a classroom. without sounding very cliche-ish, you will really start to look at/interpret things around you much differently, and i must say that i find value in this alone After experiencing 1L, would you make the decision to start law school again, or would you opt to enjoy your pre-law school life style instead? wow, this is a tough one, not b/c of my actual answer, but just b/c of how much i am enjoying non-law school life. i would definitely start law school again, but i would appreciate my free time before school started so much more. i really do not think i can put into words how much i am enjoying my summer this summer, and i now realize that i took my free time for granted. i can't necessarily say that i'm looking forward to school starting again, but as much as it was one of the worst years o my life (b/c of the work/school balance), it was also one of the most fulfilling: i met so many great people/made some great friends, i challenged myself, and feel that i am really helping to diversify my background/strengthen my skill set/overall experiences a good deal of success

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:43 pm

1Levening2013 wrote:
tesoro wrote:

yes i did (and still am--i am part of the minority of students who plan on remaining as an evening student)

If so, I have a few.

How many hours per week? 55-60hrs/week
How many hours per week did you find to study? i probably studied b/w 12-15hr/wk. i should note, though, that during the weeks leading up to finals, and during the time where we had writing assignments due, these #s skyrocketed, and i spent just about every free moment i had doing work Typically, on what days? i only did work on the weekends. it obviously depends on what kind of job you have, but for someone like myself who puts in substantial time at the office during the week, you simply do not have time to do work outside of the weekend. just keep in mind that you have class mon-thurs until b/w 8:20-9:45, so doing work after that is on you--for me, i'd rather get to bed
Did you take vacation days during your finals periods? i did take time off. for first semester finals i took a total of 6 days off, and for second semester finals i took 5 days off. i can't stress how important this will be. everyone is different and has different study methods, but i think it is fair to say that you will be at a huge disadvantage if you do not take some time off to study. if i had more flexibility at work, i'd take more days--not a huge # more, but maybe 7days or so
How did you do? i finished this year top 25%
Did you have time to enjoy life, date, go to movies, see the kids (whatever's applicable)?
i have to be honest and this is probably the most difficult part of being a working law student: you will have to make many sacrifices in the rest of your life. with that being said, though, i think if you manage your time correctly, you can still have a more than fruitful social life (i am still young myself and like to go out just as much as the next guy). as a quick breakdown for you, you will have class mon-thurs so going out then is nearly impossible. i usually keep friday night as a lower-key night, maybe going out to dinner/catching a movie. i usually hit the books hard all day on saturday and sort of reward myself by going out/doing whatever i want on saturday night (but not going so crazy that i'm not in shape to do a good amount of work on sunday). its a fine line, but i think with a good amount of self control, you can enjoy your social life while succeeding academically

Do you like your current job? i do like my current job...so much to be honest that i may never leave, but with that being said, i still have every intention of graduating from law school (despite my job not being 'legal') If so, do you find law school to be worthwhile? i do find law school to be worthwhile. despite all of the doom and gloom posters out there on TLS, ATL, etc., i still find a law degree to be a worthwhile investment. what you learn in law school is more relevant in your everyday life than probably anything else you've ever learned in a classroom. without sounding very cliche-ish, you will really start to look at/interpret things around you much differently, and i must say that i find value in this alone After experiencing 1L, would you make the decision to start law school again, or would you opt to enjoy your pre-law school life style instead? wow, this is a tough one, not b/c of my actual answer, but just b/c of how much i am enjoying non-law school life. i would definitely start law school again, but i would appreciate my free time before school started so much more. i really do not think i can put into words how much i am enjoying my summer this summer, and i now realize that i took my free time for granted. i can't necessarily say that i'm looking forward to school starting again, but as much as it was one of the worst years o my life (b/c of the work/school balance), it was also one of the most fulfilling: i met so many great people/made some great friends, i challenged myself, and feel that i am really helping to diversify my background/strengthen my skill set/overall experiences a good deal of success

Very helpful. We share incredibly similar circumstances. I may PM you in the future. Thanks!

1Levening2013

Postby 1Levening2013 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:53 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:

Thoughts on Fordham, in general? Likes, dislikes, etc.

overall i am very happy with fordham. classes were intellectually challenging, professors were fair (i actually really liked all but one of my first year professors), and i feel that the school offers some worthwhile extracurriculars/has several interesting student orgs for those interested

my only real complaints do not have to do with anything truly substantive with regards to the law program: the school is not aesthetically pleasing (this does not really bother me, but it is so often talked about as one of the negatives of the school--with that being said, the building could use some updating) and the administrators are not always the best with communication (if you didn't already get this from your application process/time as an admitted student. i dont know if its still the technology integration they are working on, but it just seems like there are alot of email/communication issues throughout the semester

i'd definitely be glad to touch on any specific areas you're interested in, but i guess i can just leave it at this: you are studying at what i consider to be one of the better law schools in the northeast, in probably the best city in the country. if you put your head down and do you work, you really shouldnt have many complaints

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:19 pm

When are the immunization forms due?

Wingdw

Postby Wingdw » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:46 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:When are the immunization forms due?

By the start of classes, end of August, is what the website says.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:58 am

Didn't realize there was a Shake Shack insanely close (well, 15 blocks) to Fordham!!

Super happy

http://www.yelp.com/biz/shake-shack-new-york-5

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”