Fordham Class of 2013/2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Springsteen

New

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Post by Springsteen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:26 pm

nymets123 wrote:paid my seat deposit today for the evening division...unless i freak out and decide that the price tag is too scary to deal with then I'm Fordham bound!
Congrats, the more Mets fans entering this fall, the better! :D

ryguy

Bronze

Post by ryguy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:27 pm

I have not sent in my seat deposit yet. I'm still deciding. :oops:

Wingdw

New

Post by Wingdw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:27 pm

jl2032 wrote:
tesoro wrote:
jl2032 wrote: Hi, Tesoro!

Future classmates = yay!

Have you yet heard of any evening students getting $ out of Fordham? I don't need a lot, but I do need something to feel better about giving up on Penn.
Hey hey! All I know is that sometimes $ is offered to evening students, but that I'm not getting any (I asked). LSN shows at least one PT student with a $$ offer.

So have you decided on Fordham? Or is there still some sway toward Penn?
I'm pretty much deciding on Fordham unless Columbia or NYU recognize my existence.

I'm just going to use the $24k/yr at Vandy and the UPenn acceptance to see if they'll give me some money. That's worth a shot, right?
Yes I would definitely give that a shot JL. Nice to meet you at the accepted students event by the way, I was that blonde guy at your lunch table haha. Sounds like you're getting a good sense of what you want to do.

Oh, and yeah I gave them my seat deposit as well, so I look forward to seeing all of you in the fall!

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:28 pm

ryguy wrote:I have not sent in my seat deposit yet. I'm still deciding. :oops:
Where else are you considering?

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:56 pm

Springsteen wrote:
nymets123 wrote:paid my seat deposit today for the evening division...unless i freak out and decide that the price tag is too scary to deal with then I'm Fordham bound!
<-- evening division mets fan

edit: god help us.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nymets123

New

Post by nymets123 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:07 pm

tesoro wrote:
Springsteen wrote:
<-- evening division mets fan

edit: god help us.
haha, I'm slightly optimistic...some of their injuries seem to be coming along better than expected. Reyes looks sharp.

On another note, im getting excited to live in/near the city soon. I took an hour bus in last night to see a bunch of dubstep producers (Flying Lotus, Nosaj Thing and Kode9) perform at Le Poisson Rouge in the village and having good music at my finger tips more often without a long bus ride will be cool.

adgirl13

New

Post by adgirl13 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:18 pm

Haven't sent off the deposit yet, but am almost 100% certain I'm heading to Fordham next year. :)

What a relief to almost be done with this (insane) cycle!

nygiants

New

Post by nygiants » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:51 pm

Got my deposit confirmation today... Also the final confirmation that I'm paying sticker. Those numbers look even bigger when they're set in stone. FML -- can't wait tho.

Also a met fan :roll:

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:39 pm

On the plus side though, we'll be so consumed with starting law school that we may not have time to pay close attention to the inevitable late season collapse! (please god let us be close for even THAT long) :roll:

We should definitely have a TLS baseball outing to Citi Field once we're all in NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nygiants

New

Post by nygiants » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:27 pm

Springsteen wrote:On the plus side though, we'll be so consumed with starting law school that we may not have time to pay close attention to the inevitable late season collapse! (please god let us be close for even THAT long) :roll:

We should definitely have a TLS baseball outing to Citi Field once we're all in NYC.
Sounds good... Why not end the bar crawl at citi field?

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:29 pm

nygiants wrote:
Springsteen wrote:On the plus side though, we'll be so consumed with starting law school that we may not have time to pay close attention to the inevitable late season collapse! (please god let us be close for even THAT long) :roll:

And if Ollie Perez happens to be pitching that day, a bunch of drinks in is ideally how I'd like to show up.

sjedood

New

Re: paradise Class of 2013/2014

Post by sjedood » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:25 am

I was admitted to Frdham FT. I was also admitted to Cardozo with full tuition. I am not questioning that Frdham is better. I went to cardozo to see the school at ASD, and I was impressed. Is it crazy to think that: 1. maybe the difference between Frdham and Cardozo isnt 200K. 2. If your going to do well in law school, then your going to do well irregardless of what school. Cardozo may not be at the level that Frdham is, but it is reputable enough to place will in the top 15-20% of the class.

beebs

Bronze

Post by beebs » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:22 pm

LOVE that F.o.r.d.h.a.m = Paradise. Haha. Nice April Fools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:37 pm

Anyone get their admitted students binder yet in the mail? I have a blank spot under the mailings on status checker with 3/29/10 as the date and I'm assuming that's it.

adgirl13

New

Post by adgirl13 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:53 pm

Springsteen wrote:Anyone get their admitted students binder yet in the mail? I have a blank spot under the mailings on status checker with 3/29/10 as the date and I'm assuming that's it.
Just noticed that blank spot under mailings as well. Hope this admitted students binder arrives soon!

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:02 pm

adgirl13 wrote:
Springsteen wrote:Anyone get their admitted students binder yet in the mail? I have a blank spot under the mailings on status checker with 3/29/10 as the date and I'm assuming that's it.
Just noticed that blank spot under mailings as well. Hope this admitted students binder arrives soon!
I wouldn't count on it... I also have the blank mailing, but in addition to that:

Accept letter mailed 03/23/2010
Deny letter mailed 03/18/2010

I have received neither of these.

timertimer61

Bronze

Post by timertimer61 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:20 pm

is there a way to pay the deposit with credit card online, or do you have to mail in? i am overseas :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nymets123

New

Post by nymets123 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:54 pm

Springsteen wrote:
nygiants wrote:
Springsteen wrote:On the plus side though, we'll be so consumed with starting lawl skool that we may not have time to pay close attention to the inevitable late season collapse! (please god let us be close for even THAT long) :roll:

We should definitely have a lishi baseball outing to Citi Field once we're all in NYC.
And if Ollie Perez happens to be pitching that day, a bunch of drinks in is ideally how I'd like to show up.
haha zing...but true

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:38 pm

sjedood wrote:I was admitted to Frdham FT. I was also admitted to Cardozo with full tuition. I am not questioning that Frdham is better. I went to cardozo to see the school at ASD, and I was impressed. Is it crazy to think that: 1. maybe the difference between Frdham and Cardozo isnt 200K. 2. If your going to do well in lawl skool, then your going to do well irregardless of what school. Cardozo may not be at the level that Frdham is, but it is reputable enough to place will in the top 15-20% of the class.
Your logic is making one very bold presumption. You say that if you are to do well in one law school, you would do well in any law school. Even if this statement is true, what if you aren't to "do well" in one law school, or any law school? What if you're going to be median in law school? While your logic is somewhat correct that you can place well in the top 15-20% of your class at Cardozo, attending with that knowledge is presuming you'll beat 80-85% of your classmates. What if you don't? At Fordham, if you don't, you'll still get a good job.

That being said, Cardozo with full tuition is a good deal and I would be very tempted myself. Just make sure you accept Cardozo with a clear line of thought if that's the route you take.

nygiants

New

Post by nygiants » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:28 am

tesoro wrote:
sjedood wrote:I was admitted to Frdham FT. I was also admitted to Cardozo with full tuition. I am not questioning that Frdham is better. I went to cardozo to see the school at ASD, and I was impressed. Is it crazy to think that: 1. maybe the difference between Frdham and Cardozo isnt 200K. 2. If your going to do well in lawl skool, then your going to do well irregardless of what school. Cardozo may not be at the level that Frdham is, but it is reputable enough to place will in the top 15-20% of the class.
Your logic is making one very bold presumption. You say that if you are to do well in one lawl skool, you would do well in any lawl skool. Even if this statement is true, what if you aren't to "do well" in one lawl skool, or any lawl skool? What if you're going to be median in lawl skool? While your logic is somewhat correct that you can place well in the top 15-20% of your class at Cardozo, attending with that knowledge is presuming you'll beat 80-85% of your classmates. What if you don't? At paradise, if you don't, you'll still get a good job.

That being said, Cardozo with full tuition is a good deal and I would be very tempted myself. Just make sure you accept Cardozo with a clear line of thought if that's the route you take.
That's good advice; consider the stipulations in the scholly. If you think it is realistic to say that you would be able to maintain such stature in your class, then consider it... Otherwise take the Fordham name and run, and be in enormous debt in a few years like me and a lot of the rest of us.

sjedood

New

Post by sjedood » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:33 am

tesoro wrote:
Your logic is making one very bold presumption. You say that if you are to do well in one lawl skool, you would do well in any lawl skool. Even if this statement is true, what if you aren't to "do well" in one lawl skool, or any lawl skool? What if you're going to be median in lawl skool? While your logic is somewhat correct that you can place well in the top 15-20% of your class at Cardozo, attending with that knowledge is presuming you'll beat 80-85% of your classmates. What if you don't? At paradise, if you don't, you'll still get a good job.

I know fordhm places better then cardozo does, but I think it may be an overstatement to say that if you end up in the middle of the class you will have a good job. Even at Fordhm, especially in this job market, if you end in the middle of the class you arent guaranteed anything. That isnt to say that you may fare a little better then you would being in the middle at dozo, but you are definitely not set.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:22 am

sjedood wrote:
tesoro wrote:

I know fordhm places better then cardozo does, but I think it may be an overstatement to say that if you end up in the middle of the class you will have a good job. Even at Fordhm, especially in this job market, if you end in the middle of the class you arent guaranteed anything. That isnt to say that you may fare a little better then you would being in the middle at dozo, but you are definitely not set.
I beg to differ. [strike]c/o 2009, with a 93% report rate, placed 57% into firm jobs.[/strike] That's 53% of the class at firm jobs. A significant amount also are in clerkships and well regarded PI positions, though those exact stats are escaping me at the moment. I'd feel OK being anywhere in the top 60% at Fordham.

Edit: My facts were wrong. I underestimated them. With 93% reporting, over 70% were at firm jobs (roughly 65% of the class of 2009). ~95% reported salary information of those at firm jobs (roughly 62% of the class of 2009). Of those reporting over half of them were at firms of 101 lawyers or more. The median salary of any bracket Fordham broke down of over 101 lawyers was 160,000. So, one third of Fordham's c/o 2009 is earning a median salary of 160,000. Another one third is earning between median salaries of $63,000 to $160,000. I'd be surprised of Dozo came close to reported medians in this range. To add, the average salary of each broken down firm size Fordham reported was typically higher than the median, so there's no glaring evidence that the medians are being reported to hide anything.

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:12 am

tesoro wrote:
sjedood wrote:
tesoro wrote:

I beg to differ. [strike]c/o 2009, with a 93% report rate, placed 57% into firm jobs.[/strike] That's 53% of the class at firm jobs. A significant amount also are in clerkships and well regarded PI positions, though those exact stats are escaping me at the moment. I'd feel OK being anywhere in the top 60% at Fordham.

Edit: My facts were wrong. I underestimated them. With 93% reporting, over 70% were at firm jobs (roughly 65% of the class of 2009). ~95% reported salary information of those at firm jobs (roughly 62% of the class of 2009). Of those reporting over half of them were at firms of 101 lawyers or more. The median salary of any bracket Fordham broke down of over 101 lawyers was 160,000. So, one third of Fordham's c/o 2009 is earning a median salary of 160,000. Another one third is earning between median salaries of $63,000 to $160,000. I'd be surprised of Dozo came close to reported medians in this range. To add, the average salary of each broken down firm size Fordham reported was typically higher than the median, so there's no glaring evidence that the medians are being reported to hide anything.
I did the exact same math and that pretty much convinced me to turn down the full ride no strings at Cardozo to go very into debt at Fordham. Now if only I could negotiate their scholarship up a little bit before deposit and I'm sold.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:15 am

kaydish21 wrote:
I did the exact same math and that pretty much convinced me to turn down the full ride no strings at Cardozo to go very into debt at Fordham. Now if only I could negotiate their scholarship up a little bit before deposit and I'm sold.

good luck with this. fordham is stingy. NYC is a great market and they know it.. and they know they don't have to give people as much money to come to their school.

i was given a "prestigious" (according to my letter) 7500/yr award from them. From the way the communication was worded, I should feel very lucky that I got that.

adgirl13

New

Post by adgirl13 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:46 pm

And it's official...sending off my deposit today!

So excited to finally have made a decision :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”