Fordham Class of 2013/2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
AlanShore

Silver

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Post by AlanShore » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:01 pm

kmen wrote:The discussion of the broad advanced electives offered was quite interesting as well. If there is something specific you want to know if they talked about something specific.
what did they say about employment? (i guess specifically ite)

LaurenGayle

Bronze

Post by LaurenGayle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:24 pm

Officially even more in love with Fordham <3

kmen

New

Post by kmen » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:43 pm

They said that they believe that first they are optimistic that the legal economy in the area has seen recovery and will see much more before our year would graduate. Also, they said that even though some people speculated that Fordham would see an unnatural decrease in hiring, and while it was a down year this decrease was across the board at all law schools and they still fared well. The info can be looked at skeptically, but I believe that Fordham will set me up well and I am not worried about career prospects after listening to the presentation. One nice point they made is that Fordham is one of the few outside of the T15 that engages in student selected interviews as opposed to employer selected interviews. The Dean of the CPC said that about 40% of the interviews are student selected. This is excellent proof that employers really value a degree from Fordham enough to interview people essentially based on the fact that they go to Fordham. They gave some other statistics, but I do not recall them also I believe them to be inaccurate because of low reporting percentage, and they said that the 2009 class employment numbers will be out in March. So don't despair is the message and I believe it.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:49 pm

kmen wrote:They said that they believe that first they are optimistic that the legal economy in the area has seen recovery and will see much more before our year would graduate. Also, they said that even though some people speculated that Fordham would see an unnatural decrease in hiring, and while it was a down year this decrease was across the board at all law schools and they still fared well. The info can be looked at skeptically, but I believe that Fordham will set me up well and I am not worried about career prospects after listening to the presentation. One nice point they made is that Fordham is one of the few outside of the T15 that engages in student selected interviews as opposed to employer selected interviews. The Dean of the CPC said that about 40% of the interviews are student selected. This is excellent proof that employers really value a degree from Fordham enough to interview people essentially based on the fact that they go to Fordham. They gave some other statistics, but I do not recall them also I believe them to be inaccurate because of low reporting percentage, and they said that the 2009 class employment numbers will be out in March. So don't despair is the message and I believe it.
student selected? what does this mean? is this the bidding thing?

kmen

New

Post by kmen » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:21 pm

AlanShore wrote:
kmen wrote:They said that they believe that first they are optimistic that the legal economy in the area has seen recovery and will see much more before our year would graduate. Also, they said that even though some people speculated that Fordham would see an unnatural decrease in hiring, and while it was a down year this decrease was across the board at all law schools and they still fared well. The info can be looked at skeptically, but I believe that Fordham will set me up well and I am not worried about career prospects after listening to the presentation. One nice point they made is that Fordham is one of the few outside of the T15 that engages in student selected interviews as opposed to employer selected interviews. The Dean of the CPC said that about 40% of the interviews are student selected. This is excellent proof that employers really value a degree from Fordham enough to interview people essentially based on the fact that they go to Fordham. They gave some other statistics, but I do not recall them also I believe them to be inaccurate because of low reporting percentage, and they said that the 2009 class employment numbers will be out in March. So don't despair is the message and I believe it.
student selected? what does this mean? is this the bidding thing?
Yes, you bid and the employer interviews the students that the school tells them to as opposed to reviewing resumes first and deciding who to interview as is the case in the rest of the interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SaraT

New

Post by SaraT » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:25 pm

Today was awesome!! It was great meeting you all, Liz, Brittany, Lauren, and Matt! Yay I remembered everyone's names. I have to say I was a litlle disappointed from the goody bag, I was expecting more, at least a Fordham shirt lol.

LaurenGayle

Bronze

Post by LaurenGayle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:24 am

SaraT wrote:Today was awesome!! It was great meeting you all, Liz, Brittany, Lauren, and Matt! Yay I remembered everyone's names. I have to say I was a litlle disappointed from the goody bag, I was expecting more, at least a Fordham shirt lol.
Lol, but the water bottle is pretty sweet!

It was great meeting all of you too :-)

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:32 am

Hey, I'm sorry I couldn't make breakfast, but I'm glad you enjoyed the day, and I got to see some people. Did they give you guys a flash drive? I'm so jealous... I want a Fordham flash drive!

Now everyone has to come here, lol. Screw waiting around for those other schools.

WhyBother?

Bronze

Post by WhyBother? » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:26 pm

It was great meeting you all, too. When/if everyone makes their decisions, I'd be happy to get together at Fordham, again (if you're going there!). I hope everyone's cycles go exactly as they want, but it's comforting to be in at such an awesome school, already.

+1 to the water bottle being awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

odon59

New

Post by odon59 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:44 pm

I definitely enjoyed my visit and I'm really glad I went. Dean Treanor sat at my table for lunch and everyone tensed up a bit, but he got the conversation going and seems like a great guy.

The portion about the OCI selection process was very interesting and news to me. I am still a little confused because she mentioned the "algorithm" both the firm selections and the student selections go through to create the interview schedule. I understand the value of having 40% student selected, but what exactly is the algorithm doing? It sounds little bit like a match program, but what do I know?

Another interesting tidbit from the career presentation - NALP decided that those poor souls who got a deferred job offer, regardless of whether it was a 3 or 12 month deferral, will still be considered "employed" at the salary the law firm will pay them in the future, not at the time of the questionnaire. I guess it's good that they at least came up with a standardized way of dealing with this, but it still seems a little misleading to prospective students. At least Fordham was honest about how the statistics are being reported, and I appreciate that immensely.

nygiants

New

Post by nygiants » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:51 pm

I was also really impressed with the school, though my mind was made up from the start anyway... Fordham it is! Did anyone else enjoy that class as much as me? I was the one who brought up Kitty Genovese at the end.

LaurenGayle

Bronze

Post by LaurenGayle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:08 pm

nygiants wrote:I was also really impressed with the school, though my mind was made up from the start anyway... Fordham it is! Did anyone else enjoy that class as much as me? I was the one who brought up Kitty Genovese at the end.
LOVED the class. As soon as it was over, I texted my boyfriend to tell him that I wanted law school to start immediately!

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:09 pm

Sounds like everyone had a great time! I probably should have gone given yesterday's unfortunate turn of football fate :-/ but I'll definitely be at the next one. Did they say anything about when they would start sending out the admitted students binder/website login? Also, how was Saffee!?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LaurenGayle

Bronze

Post by LaurenGayle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:11 pm

Springsteen wrote:Sounds like everyone had a great time! I probably should have gone given yesterday's unfortunate turn of football fate :-/ but I'll definitely be at the next one. Did they say anything about when they would start sending out the admitted students binder/website login? Also, how was Saffee!?
Yeah, sorry man -- great season though!

They told us that the website should be ready on Wednesday and that they should send the binder within two weeks.

And Saffee was pretty good!

vinc

New

Post by vinc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:47 am

Just curious, did your status checkers just say "admitted" bec mine said "congratulations you have been admitted!" I'm curious if everyone got that or I'm just special. ;)

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:00 am

vinc wrote:Just curious, did your status checkers just say "admitted" bec mine said "congratulations you have been admitted!" I'm curious if everyone got that or I'm just special. ;)
Haha nope that is the notification for all. I'm glad Fordham's made us feel special, although I'm sure we could have gotten pretty much anything indicating we got in and feel amazing.

kmen

New

Post by kmen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:10 am

Springsteen wrote:
vinc wrote:Just curious, did your status checkers just say "admitted" bec mine said "congratulations you have been admitted!" I'm curious if everyone got that or I'm just special. ;)
Haha nope that is the notification for all. I'm glad Fordham's made us feel special, although I'm sure we could have gotten pretty much anything indicating we got in and feel amazing.
It was a really nice gesture, next to UVA they have been the most considerate in timely notification and courtesy imho.

By the way, has anyone put any serious thought into what they are going to do about housing when they attend? I have no desire to live in a dorm again, especially one that is so expensive, however I also feel like the school subsidized apartments are overpriced even though they are very nice. I just feel like someone might be able to do better on their own.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lietx3

New

Post by lietx3 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:46 am

kmen wrote:By the way, has anyone put any serious thought into what they are going to do about housing when they attend? I have no desire to live in a dorm again, especially one that is so expensive, however I also feel like the school subsidized apartments are overpriced even though they are very nice. I just feel like someone might be able to do better on their own.
Don't go with the dorms unless you need the convenience of being right there. They said it's $1300-$1400 per person and you share the apartment with 3-4 other people. You can get a nice one person in the upper west side (which wouldn't be far at all) for that much money. If you want to save you could move further and further out. The guy at our table commuted from Astoria (he said it took about 40 minutes) and he said it was no problem.

But if you can pay for a Dorm or go on your own why not go on ur own

lietx3

New

Post by lietx3 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:59 am

At this point in my cycle, after the ASD where I a was sold on Fordham, I just want to say screw it to UG. Don't want to go to class. Don't want to do the work. Don't want to be competitive and ace my tests.

I just want to kick my feet up on the coffee table with Mass Effect 2 and play the good days away. Senioritis is in full force.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:00 am

lietx3 wrote:
kmen wrote:By the way, has anyone put any serious thought into what they are going to do about housing when they attend? I have no desire to live in a dorm again, especially one that is so expensive, however I also feel like the school subsidized apartments are overpriced even though they are very nice. I just feel like someone might be able to do better on their own.
Don't go with the dorms unless you need the convenience of being right there. They said it's $1300-$1400 per person and you share the apartment with 3-4 other people. You can get a nice one person in the upper west side (which wouldn't be far at all) for that much money. If you want to save you could move further and further out. The guy at our table commuted from Astoria (he said it took about 40 minutes) and he said it was no problem.

The dorms aren't bad (lots of space, amazing location, chance to be an RA as a 2L), however there are rules about signing people in and out that kind of suck for students who are over 21. They're basically shared space with the undergrads. I have friends that love the dorms, though, and there is a corridor connecting McMahon with the law school, so you don't even need to go outside.

That said, I live in a shared apartment six blocks from school and pay under $1300 (not including utilities). If you don't mind having a roommate, this is the ideal situation IMO. You will need a guarantor, however, unless you can pay up front or will have a substantial income while in school.

LaurenGayle

Bronze

Post by LaurenGayle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:28 am

lietx3 wrote:

I also live in Astoria and it takes me about 25 minutes to get to Fordham. I absolutely LOVE it and can't recommend it enough. If you do decide to do Astoria, however, I'd make sure you live off the N/W subway line, because the R line gets a little iffy at night (and iffy as in it runs less often, not scary).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WhyBother?

Bronze

Post by WhyBother? » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:24 pm

I just thought I would share an update about Fordham for anyone waiting on financial aid. We can stop running to the mailbox for that scholarship letter. I spoke with the Financial Aid office after the admitted students' day and according to the Dean, any merit-based awards have already gone out.

lietx3

New

Post by lietx3 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:40 pm

WhyBother? wrote:I just thought I would share an update about Fordham for anyone waiting on financial aid. We can stop running to the mailbox for that scholarship letter. I spoke with the Financial Aid office after the admitted students' day and according to the Dean, any merit-based awards have already gone out.
Though that is true, one of the aid people also said that as the people who are extended offers with Merit scholarships decline those scholarships will trickle down so there is yet hope! Just not this early on. She said it would happen closer to deposit date and sometimes even runs in to the summer (June/July)

WhyBother?

Bronze

Post by WhyBother? » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:48 pm

lietx3 wrote:
WhyBother? wrote:I just thought I would share an update about Fordham for anyone waiting on financial aid. We can stop running to the mailbox for that scholarship letter. I spoke with the Financial Aid office after the admitted students' day and according to the Dean, any merit-based awards have already gone out.
Though that is true, one of the aid people also said that as the people who are extended offers with Merit scholarships decline those scholarships will trickle down so there is yet hope! Just not this early on. She said it would happen closer to deposit date and sometimes even runs in to the summer (June/July)
Hmmm...interesting. If they didn't mention this to me, is that because they figured that none of that trickle-down is coming in my direction? I was offered money to GULC (albeit PT)...so I am kind of surprised that I didn't get anything to Fordham. I know Fordham doesn't have a lot to give, but I LOVE the school and I am trying to figure out how going there could be a responsible choice for me.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:21 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
lietx3 wrote:

I also live in Astoria and it takes me about 25 minutes to get to Fordham. I absolutely LOVE it and can't recommend it enough. If you do decide to do Astoria, however, I'd make sure you live off the N/W subway line, because the R line gets a little iffy at night (and iffy as in it runs less often, not scary).
I live off the R in Astoria now - it's really not that bad. The R runs just as frequently as the NW until midnight. After midnight, service is replaced by the E train, which isn't quite as close to campus as the NRW, but still doable (closest NRW is 57th and 7th Ave whereas the E is 53rd and 7th Ave or 50th and 8th Ave).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”