Fordham Class of 2013/2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Mattalones

Silver

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Post by Mattalones » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:00 am

Springsteen wrote:
Mattalones wrote:I have been trouble finding it, and it may by somewhere on this thread, but does anyone know offhand when the deposit deadline is?
April 15
Thanks! ... There is still time! :lol:

dmcbride

New

'

Post by dmcbride » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:40 am

'
Last edited by dmcbride on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nygiants

New

Post by nygiants » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:48 am

The only thing these guys missed when outlining what went on the other day is the new schedule. The dean of admissions announced that since there has been such an overwhelming amount of applicants and admitted students, the night program will contain slightly less students to accommodate for a larger day division class. Because of this, there will be two sections (I think it was two, correct me if I'm wrong) of the day division that will have their classes in the afternoon/early evening. These sections will b chosen by lottery and I think he said you would be able to decline if chosen.

nygiants

New

Post by nygiants » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:51 am

nygiants wrote:The only thing these guys missed when outlining what went on the other day is the new schedule. The dean of admissions announced that since there has been such an overwhelming amount of applicants and admitted students, the night program will contain slightly less students to accommodate for a larger day division class. Because of this, there will be two sections (I think it was two, correct me if I'm wrong) of the day division that will have their classes in the afternoon/early evening. These sections will b chosen by lottery and I think he said you would be able to decline if chosen.
+ Asian guy seemed a little annoying, but not a threat. And the IP clinic sounds awesome, I am definitely going to try to get in on that.

chutzpah

Bronze

Post by chutzpah » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:56 pm

nygiants wrote:
+ Asian guy seemed a little annoying, but not a threat.
He mentioned in one of his rambling questions that he was in finance and worried about his job security. I got the feeling that he was going to law school just because he wanted a backup if/when he got fired for being an incompetent doof.

I feel like the combination of the students candor and the crappy facilities may have scared off all of the superficial people so those left will be great and totally committed to the school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dmcbride

New

'

Post by dmcbride » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:58 pm

'
Last edited by dmcbride on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nygiants

New

Post by nygiants » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:03 pm

dmcbride wrote:Did anyone else think the lady doing the Financial Aid breakout session tried to make the whole process even more depressing/stressful than it already is on its own? I really thought she was going to pass out rope at the end of it.
Agreed, afterwards I turned to look at my friend; he simply said "I want to vomit". I got a little tired of hearing "law school is an investment". Its almost like saying, there's a decent chance you will be completely f*cked in the end. Oh well, I'm still pretty psyched to start. Has anyone else sent in their deposit?

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:21 pm

chutzpah wrote:I feel like the combination of the students candor and the crappy facilities may have scared off all of the superficial people so those left will be great and totally committed to the school.
I really hope so. The people who stuck around for the tour afterwards all seemed like A+ non-annoying people I would be glad to get to know and spend 3 years with. All the current students were pretty awesome too.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:22 pm

danidancer wrote:
chutzpah wrote:I feel like the combination of the students candor and the crappy facilities may have scared off all of the superficial people so those left will be great and totally committed to the school.
I really hope so. The people who stuck around for the tour afterwards all seemed like A+ non-annoying people I would be glad to get to know and spend 3 years with. All the current students were pretty awesome too.
I hope so too! when I visited I felt like I'd fit in well with the current students. they were just like the kids at my undergrad, but older. so if these superficials all withdraw... MEEEE please

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:34 pm

chutzpah wrote:
nygiants wrote:
+ Asian guy seemed a little annoying, but not a threat.
He mentioned in [strike]one[/strike] all of his rambling questions that he was in finance and worried about his job security. I got the feeling that he was going to law school just because he wanted a backup if/when he got fired for being an incompetent doof.
Fixed.
nygiants wrote:
I feel like the combination of the students candor and the crappy facilities may have scared off all of the superficial people so those left will be great and totally committed to the school.
Yes. I definitely got the same impression.

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:41 pm

nygiants wrote:
dmcbride wrote:Did anyone else think the lady doing the Financial Aid breakout session tried to make the whole process even more depressing/stressful than it already is on its own? I really thought she was going to pass out rope at the end of it.
Agreed, afterwards I turned to look at my friend; he simply said "I want to vomit". I got a little tired of hearing "law school is an investment". Its almost like saying, there's a decent chance you will be completely f*cked in the end. Oh well, I'm still pretty psyched to start. Has anyone else sent in their deposit?
I have, it sounds like from everyone's descriptions thus far that we really are making a wonderful choice in attending Fordham. Admittedly this is only the impression I've gotten from the board, but I feel like the school is very conscious of its students and their (soon to be our) needs. We need them to be honest about the investment we are about to make. The spirit for the school (despite the select few I'm sure who wish they could have been at Columbia/NYU, and I'm used to this, having gone to GW with wannabe Georgetown kids) seems pretty high among future attendees, so the more I read, the more excited I am to meet my classmates.

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:44 pm

Aha totally agree with all of you guys on ALL of these points. And it wasn't just the one finance fool (although he proved himself both rude and slightly idiotic) but I felt like there were a lot of questions during both the dean of student affairs and the career services speakers that were painfully obvious answers all of which were available online. Oh well, most ppl rocked and Fordham is my top choice right now.

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:53 pm

kaydish21 wrote:Aha totally agree with all of you guys on ALL of these points. And it wasn't just the one finance fool (although he proved himself both rude and slightly idiotic) but I felt like there were a lot of questions during both the dean of student affairs and the career services speakers that were painfully obvious answers all of which were available online. Oh well, most ppl rocked and Fordham is my top choice right now.
That asian kid will be in my classes since he's evening division. :( He made the same comments during the breakout session about the evening division. I didn't find the questions as annoying as his monopolizing time to tell us all his life story.

Overall, I think everyone was very down to earth and nice. BUT in the mock class, the one girl who said the prior rape was less likely because the girl would have reported it if it were true just annoyed me. I thought absolutely everyone would understand how underreported that kind of crime is. Just made me question my future classmates in general.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ryguy

Bronze

Post by ryguy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:22 pm

I don't agree with the "dirty factor", people like clean work and study areas. There is nothing wrong with that. The floors and stains could have been cleaned up. :roll:

ryguy

Bronze

Post by ryguy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:26 pm

nygiants wrote:
nygiants wrote:The only thing these guys missed when outlining what went on the other day is the new schedule. The dean of admissions announced that since there has been such an overwhelming amount of applicants and admitted students, the night program will contain slightly less students to accommodate for a larger day division class. Because of this, there will be two sections (I think it was two, correct me if I'm wrong) of the day division that will have their classes in the afternoon/early evening. These sections will b chosen by lottery and I think he said you would be able to decline if chosen.
+ Asian guy seemed a little annoying, but not a threat. And the IP clinic sounds awesome, I am definitely going to try to get in on that.
I felt bad for the Asian guy, he seemed to have a speech problem. I just wondered why there were only 3 of us in Crim law??? Hmmm

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm

ryguy wrote:
nygiants wrote:
I felt bad for the Asian guy, he seemed to have a speech problem. I just wondered why there were only 3 of us in Crim law??? Hmmm
I went to the first one at 2 30 and there were like 10-12. Guessed you picked the wrong one

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:00 pm

ryguy wrote:
nygiants wrote:
I think everyone experienced the same thing:

Breakout 1: packed room, everyone is super interested in at least SOMETHING
Breakout 2: less packed room, but still a good turnout. Almost everyone needed to also check out either Fin. Aid or Evening division
Breakout 3: almost empty, most people needed to find some coffee and fresh air at this point

I wouldn't take this as a reflection of Crim Law being unpopular.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:02 pm

Oh new question to those who have deposited:

I just wrote a check and threw it in an envelope with "Deposit" and my LSAC ID in the memo box. There isn't any sort of form or instructions on the website that I've just been overlooking beyond this, is there?

nygiants

New

Post by nygiants » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:53 am

tesoro wrote:Oh new question to those who have deposited:

I just wrote a check and threw it in an envelope with "Deposit" and my LSAC ID in the memo box. There isn't any sort of form or instructions on the website that I've just been overlooking beyond this, is there?
Nope; I typed up a little note giving all the information you just said. Its just Fordham being backwards again; most other schools have paperwork for this sort of thing.

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:21 am

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble logging into the admitted students site still? I was recently admitted (a little over 2 weeks ago) and have only received an email, nothing in the mail. I'm obviously freaking myself out that there's a problem and my acceptance was a mistake haha..

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:50 am

jk11287 wrote:Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble logging into the admitted students site still? I was recently admitted (a little over 2 weeks ago) and have only received an email, nothing in the mail. I'm obviously freaking myself out that there's a problem and my acceptance was a mistake haha..
I think a lot of us haven't gotten anything in the mail. The website had problems for me, but if I copy-pasted the login info from the email it would work most times (even though I was careful and typed in exactly what was there - I mean, it's my LSAC password!).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:05 am

jl2032 wrote:
jk11287 wrote:Hey guys,
I think a lot of us haven't gotten anything in the mail. The website had problems for me, but if I copy-pasted the login info from the email it would work most times (even though I was careful and typed in exactly what was there - I mean, it's my LSAC password!).
Thank you!

e. francescoli

New

Post by e. francescoli » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:50 pm

Could you guys that were there go a little more in depth into the career services thing? I'm honestly worried about the possibility of finishing low in the class and getting completely screwed over... does this worry anyone else? Is it unrealistic to think that going to Fordham gives a person any kind of security in a future of gainful employment in NYC?

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:10 pm

e. francescoli wrote:Could you guys that were there go a little more in depth into the career services thing? I'm honestly worried about the possibility of finishing low in the class and getting completely screwed over... does this worry anyone else? Is it unrealistic to think that going to Fordham gives a person any kind of security in a future of gainful employment in NYC?
check online and see if employment stats are posted for c/o 2009. They're really very good. with a 93% reporting rate, 57% are in private practice. There's also a large number in government and PI. Seems that if you can wind up in the top 90% of the class you'll find something. Their only weakness (i deem it to be a strength, actually) is that they don't appear to graduate more than a small percentage of their class to employment outside of NYC.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:47 pm

In regards to placement outside of nyc are Im starting to think most people, even those with no intention on staying in nyc realize halfway thru Fordham law that NYC experience for a few years ------> lateral comfortably elsewhere in the country

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”