Fordham Class of 2013/2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
lietx3

New

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Post by lietx3 » Sun May 30, 2010 3:33 pm

rockthelaw wrote:Fordham communication FAIL.
For like the 100th time.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:09 pm

h
Last edited by Bronx Bum on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nymets123

New

Post by nymets123 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:15 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:Hi all. Happy to be joining you in the fall. Quick question thought. I was accepted in early April and I have yet to hear anything about financial aid (loans and such). Is anyone else int he same boat? Filled out FAFSA in January.
Im in the same boat bronx bum...fafsa in around jan and no info yet on fin aid package.

Have they even set the total cost yet for next year? i have yet to see that info anywhere.

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:00 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:Hi all. Happy to be joining you in the fall. Quick question thought. I was accepted in early April and I have yet to hear anything about financial aid (loans and such). Is anyone else int he same boat? Filled out FAFSA in January.
Still waiting here too. No reply to my email to the Financial Aid office either.

Wingdw

New

Post by Wingdw » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:46 am

badpixie wrote:
Still waiting here too. No reply to my email to the Financial Aid office either.
There's actually a Financial Aid form you need to fill out for Fordham specifically, aside from the FAFSA, which will allow them to tell you if you will be getting any financial aid grants from them. After filling that out, you should then move on through the steps of applying for Stafford and then Graduate PLUS loans. Once you start submitting this material they will let you know where you stand in the way of financial aid rewards.

Most of these steps, and the way to complete them, are outlined in this Fordham Financial Aid Webpage:

http://www.law.fordham.edu/financial-aid/1893.htm

I know they've been slacking in mailing out a lot of this info so I've gotten used to relying more on their webpage heh. Also, they still haven't posted the online Stafford Loan App so I myself am still stuck waiting for that to happen.

Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:46 am

Wingdw wrote: There's actually a Financial Aid form you need to fill out for Fordham specifically, aside from the FAFSA, which will allow them to tell you if you will be getting any financial aid grants from them. After filling that out, you should then move on through the steps of applying for Stafford and then Graduate PLUS loans. Once you start submitting this material they will let you know where you stand in the way of financial aid rewards.

Most of these steps, and the way to complete them, are outlined in this Fordham Financial Aid Webpage:

I know they've been slacking in mailing out a lot of this info so I've gotten used to relying more on their webpage heh. Also, they still haven't posted the online Stafford Loan App so I myself am still stuck waiting for that to happen.

Hope this helps.
I've seen a reference to this form, but for the life of me, I can't find the forms itself on the Admitted Student site. I end up going in circles. Is it just me?? Can someone help me out?

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:43 am

These are the directions I was given from the financial aid office via email:

you can go to studentloans.gov and complete an entrance interview, an application (including credit check) and an MPN for Direct Stafford and one for Grad Plus.

Additionally you'll need to complete the Direct Stafford Loan request form (last 2 pages of the guidebook) http://www.fordham.edu/tuition__financi ... _75039.asp

rockthelaw

Bronze

Post by rockthelaw » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:57 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:These are the directions I was given from the financial aid office via email:

you can go to studentloans.gov and complete an entrance interview, an application (including credit check) and an MPN for Direct Stafford and one for Grad Plus.

Additionally you'll need to complete the Direct Stafford Loan request form (last 2 pages of the guidebook) http://www.fordham.edu/tuition__financi ... _75039.asp
I received the same directions when I emailed the office as well.

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:43 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:These are the directions I was given from the financial aid office via email:

Thanks H.E.P.!

One more question: The Grad Plus application requires that you specify the amount you want to borrow. Without receiving a financial aid package from Fordham, or knowing the final tuition and COA figures, how do you know what amount to enter in the application?

(Forgive my ignorance - the loan process was very different when I was in undergrad.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:53 am

badpixie wrote:

Thanks H.E.P.!

One more question: The Grad Plus application requires that you specify the amount you want to borrow. Without receiving a financial aid package from Fordham, or knowing the final tuition and COA figures, how do you know what amount to enter in the application?

(Forgive my ignorance - the loan process was very different when I was in undergrad.)
Good question. Hadn't filled out the form yet so I don't know what's on it. I think I also remember the guy saying that they deal with this stuff mostly in mid-June on, once they have an idea of who is actually gonna be there in the fall. So maybe fill out everything else and save that form for later. I'm new to the process myself. Maybe send OS a PM?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:10 am

badpixie wrote:

Thanks H.E.P.!

i'm not going to fordham but i just finished this for wustl...
You can specify an amount up to the full cost of attendance less anything that has already been covered by scholarships. That's how grad plus works. So you need to know your financial aid package to specify the amount.

There is, however, an option that says you will let the school determine the amount of the grad plus loan. in that case they will handle determining that amount.

Remember you have the right to decline / cancel any loans that someone attempts to disburse to you. So if the school decides on an amount for grad plus and you would rather get that money elsewhere, you can decline it later. You are not locked in.

Personally I waited until I got my aid package to fill all that stuff out, but if you want to do it now, just click the option that says you will let your school determine the amount.

HopeThisHelps

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:15 am

Status
Term: Year: 2010
Program Time: Day Degree: JD
Current Status: Your deposits have been received
Current Status Date: 6/1/2010
All set / confirmed for next year.

Keep fighting the good fight all those that wait.

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:32 pm

For anyone in DC interested, a few of us are planning a happy hour on Tuesday at 7 pm at Churchkey. Feel free to join up!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

queenofhearts

New

Post by queenofhearts » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:01 pm

badpixie wrote:
Wingdw wrote: There's actually a Financial Aid form you need to fill out for Fordham specifically, aside from the FAFSA, which will allow them to tell you if you will be getting any financial aid grants from them. After filling that out, you should then move on through the steps of applying for Stafford and then Graduate PLUS loans. Once you start submitting this material they will let you know where you stand in the way of financial aid rewards.

Hope this helps.
I've seen a reference to this form, but for the life of me, I can't find the forms itself on the Admitted Student site. I end up going in circles. Is it just me?? Can someone help me out?
+1 ... does anyone know where this is???

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:03 pm

queenofhearts wrote:
badpixie wrote:

Hope this helps.
Not sure if this is the link you are talking about but it might help....

http://www.fordham.edu/tuition__financi ... _75039.asp

There's a link somewhere around there to the Fordham Specific Fin. Aid. and it's in either the little binder or Fin. Aid guidebook, I can't remember.

queenofhearts

New

Post by queenofhearts » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:37 am

kaydish21 wrote:
queenofhearts wrote:
badpixie wrote:

Hope this helps.
Not sure if this is the link you are talking about but it might help....

http://www.fordham.edu/tuition__financi ... _75039.asp

There's a link somewhere around there to the Fordham Specific Fin. Aid. and it's in either the little binder or Fin. Aid guidebook, I can't remember.

So apparently I found the application at one point, but now it's not there (i downloaded the page with the link to the app and the app itself as PDFs). Kinda confused about this. Maybe they're in the process of changing it or something? Not sure if I should submit what I have now. If anyone figures this out, let me know, thx!

empire84

New

Post by empire84 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:32 am

lietx3 wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:Fordham communication FAIL.
For like the 100th time.
Last edited by empire84 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:09 pm

so annoyed right now...went to walgreens 2 weeks ago to have passport photos taken because i was too lazy to do it myself on photo paper. so i spend the $9 and waited a half hour. i mailed them out the next day. the school says they never received them! now i have to do it all over again. FML. with my luck, the office will call me tomorrow, after i've already spent another $9, to say that they've found the envelope.

end rant.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:19 pm

hannah87 wrote:so annoyed right now...went to walgreens 2 weeks ago to have passport photos taken because i was too lazy to do it myself on photo paper. so i spend the $9 and waited a half hour. i mailed them out the next day. the school says they never received them! now i have to do it all over again. FML. with my luck, the office will call me tomorrow, after i've already spent another $9, to say that they've found the envelope.

end rant.

Miss Hannah Banana:

Did you send your pics to the West 60th address or the West 62nd address? I got my deposit sent to the 62nd address and it was missing for a good 3 weeks. 60th is where you're supposed to send all the admin stuff

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:56 pm

hannah87 wrote:so annoyed right now...went to walgreens 2 weeks ago to have passport photos taken because i was too lazy to do it myself on photo paper. so i spend the $9 and waited a half hour. i mailed them out the next day. the school says they never received them! now i have to do it all over again. FML. with my luck, the office will call me tomorrow, after i've already spent another $9, to say that they've found the envelope.

end rant.
Did you email them to check on it or did they contact you?

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:19 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote: Did you email them to check on it or did they contact you?
H.E., I called them twice last week to check on it, and emailed them again today.
chicoalto0649 wrote:
Miss Hannah Banana:

Did you send your pics to the West 60th address or the West 62nd address? I got my deposit sent to the 62nd address and it was missing for a good 3 weeks. 60th is where you're supposed to send all the admin stuff
chico, i sent them to the Student Affairs office at W 60th, as instructed in the Admitted Students Guide. I sent the deposit in a separate envelope to Admissions, and they got it 2 days later. irritating!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:55 pm

j
Last edited by Bronx Bum on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tittle-tattle

New

Post by tittle-tattle » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:46 pm

Does anyone know if classes start immediately after orientation for the evening students? The academic calendar has the orientation on 8/16 (getting close!), so do the classes start on 8/17?

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:33 am

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:42 am

tittle-tattle wrote:Does anyone know if classes start immediately after orientation for the evening students? The academic calendar has the orientation on 8/16 (getting close!), so do the classes start on 8/17?
Yup I think orientation is two weeks long and includes a P/F legal process class with a take home exam at the end of the second week. It shouldn't be so bad - if I remember right the class was something like an hour or two, 2-3 days a week.

The full-timers crunch the whole thing into one week with an in-class final (again, i if i remember right).

It was pretty detailed in the calendar in the guidebook. I'll check it out when I get home if no one credits this before then

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”