Penn Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
rockchalk86

Silver

Re: Penn Class of 2013

Post by rockchalk86 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:20 pm

Just got the portfolio!!!

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:46 am

Hey everyone.... I recently had a personal visit at Penn because I can't make ASW. I was truly amazed by the school, class, tour, and general friendliness of the student body. I don't want to give to many details here so PM me if you want the details of the visit (meeting with Dean Post, the specific class I sat in on and teacher info, jobs median 1l's have lined up etc...).

jc1988

Bronze

Post by jc1988 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:54 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:Hey everyone.... I recently had a personal visit at Penn because I can't make ASW. I was truly amazed by the school, class, tour, and general friendliness of the student body. I don't want to give to many details here so PM me if you want the details of the visit (meeting with Dean Post, the specific class I sat in on and teacher info, jobs median 1l's have lined up etc...).
wow you met the dean? so good, i visited on the weekend so i only saw the facility and a few students, instead of meeting office staff and attending a class. I am glad you had a great time too.

jc1988

Bronze

Post by jc1988 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:09 am

does anyone know the deadline to send dean's certification and the final transcript to upenn?

(and if i might ask...my grades this year aren't as good as the previous 3 years together due to...obvious reasons :oops: , would upenn take back their offer if they see my final transcript with a somewhat crappy final year?)

blondebruin

New

Post by blondebruin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:48 am

rockchalk86 wrote:Hey everyone.... I recently had a personal visit at Penn because I can't make ASW. I was truly amazed by the school, class, tour, and general friendliness of the student body. I don't want to give to many details here so PM me if you want the details of the visit (meeting with Dean Post, the specific class I sat in on and teacher info, jobs median 1l's have lined up etc...).
I just did the same thing! I loved it, and officially sent my intent to enroll today. Everyone there really is remarkably friendly, which I wasn't expecting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:02 pm

Sounds like I'll be deferring a year at Penn, so I guess that puts me in the Class of 2014. Very excited!

MeasuredOptimism

New

Post by MeasuredOptimism » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:04 pm

I decided to take the Levy and commit to Penn this week. Looking forward to meeting you all!

cylusr

New

Post by cylusr » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:55 pm

Sending in my seat deposit today! I've been very impressed with penn thus far!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:31 am

Last edited by Core on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MeasuredOptimism

New

Post by MeasuredOptimism » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Core wrote:Deposited last week. Can't wait to get started!
This thread needs to expand!
Agreed on both points!

I went apartment hunting in Philly yesterday (I'm moving in July, so looking a little early). Coming from NYC, you can get soooooo much more for your money in Philly.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:14 pm

MeasuredOptimism wrote:
Agreed on both points!

I went apartment hunting in Philly yesterday (I'm moving in July, so looking a little early). Coming from NYC, you can get soooooo much more for your money in Philly.
What did you think of the area?

PoorOrpheus

Bronze

Post by PoorOrpheus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:17 pm

Deposting on Monday! :mrgreen:

I'm looking for housing in UC but it seems like most people are checking out CC. Is there a reason for this (excluding the insanely high rents of places like the Domus)?

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:27 pm

PoorOrpheus wrote:Deposting on Monday! :mrgreen:

I'm looking for housing in UC but it seems like most people are checking out CC. Is there a reason for this (excluding the insanely high rents of places like the Domus)?
+1
I think most people are looking into CC because it's near all the nightlife.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PoorOrpheus

Bronze

Post by PoorOrpheus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:58 pm

Core wrote:

+1
Oh, LOL, that's not what I was thinking at all but it makes total sense. I just want a place that's near campus, safe, and clean. Did you have a chance to check out any places when you visited Penn, Core?

rafikiwa

New

Post by rafikiwa » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:01 pm

PoorOrpheus wrote:
Core wrote:

+1
Oh, LOL, that's not what I was thinking at all but it makes total sense. I just want a place that's near campus, safe, and clean. Did you have a chance to check out any places when you visited Penn, Core?
I'm headed to Penn in the fall as well. I took some time to go look at places in Philly last weekend, and there is a condominium building that has some decent housing available (a bit on the pricey side, but seems to be popular among Penn students). It was the Riverwest condominiums, where many of the owners rent out their places to students. It's walking distance to campus/30th St station- right on Chestnut Street. If you want to look for smaller, house-ish buildings, it seems between 42nd and 47th street have a lot of options as well. It's a bit more residential in that area, but cheaper for more space. A lot of places there are more "faculty/grad student exclusive," which means quieter. Hope that helps!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:31 pm

PoorOrpheus wrote:
Core wrote:

+1
No, but I will next Wednesday. You?

MeasuredOptimism

New

Post by MeasuredOptimism » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Core wrote:
MeasuredOptimism wrote:
Agreed on both points!

I've been looking mostly in University City - prioritizing proximity to school and not spending too much. I'm leaning toward an awesome 1 bdrm apt. in a small building at 40th & Chestnut.

2400 Chestnut in Center City also looks great, but they have a waiting list for studios and 1-bedrooms.

EDIT: The building I'm probably moving in to has another 1-bedroom available Aug. 15. $950 + utilities. Message me if you want the landlord contact info.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Yeah, a lot of people seem to be moving to CC because of nightlife and such, but finances will probably take me to UC, which is fine. I don't really need all the craziness of CC, but it could be fun.

When I was there, I visited the Old Quaker Building and The Courts. I liked the former much more, but it's more expensive. Just as expensive as CC, but it's a 5 minute walk to the law school, which can't be beaten. I've been thinking 2400 Chestnut as well, but it seems like it's hard to get in. Most of the other CC apartments are too expensive or too far (and I'd have to take the subway).

gscfire33

New

Post by gscfire33 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Hey guys, just sent in my seat deposit as well, really excited to meet all of you.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:33 pm

MeasuredOptimism wrote:
Core wrote:
MeasuredOptimism wrote:
Agreed on both points!

I've been looking mostly in University City - prioritizing proximity to school and not spending too much. I'm leaning toward an awesome 1 bdrm apt. in a small building at 40th & Chestnut.

2400 Chestnut in Center City also looks great, but they have a waiting list for studios and 1-bedrooms.

EDIT: The building I'm probably moving in to has another 1-bedroom available Aug. 15. $950 + utilities. Message me if you want the landlord contact info.
Thanks. I'll msg you asap if that's the case.

MeasuredOptimism

New

Post by MeasuredOptimism » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:30 pm

I have a little time now, so I figured I would elaborate on the housing options I saw on Saturday, for the benefit of others looking for housing in University City:

Apts at Penn (http://www.apts-at-penn.com) - I looked in the building around 43rd & Pine. The apartments were small, low quality, and not sufficiently cheap to justify it. Also had a very undergrad-y feel.

UCH (http://www.uchweb.com) - I looked in the Castle Hill and Blenheim buildings. The apartments were a very good size, especially for the price. They also do this too-good-to-be-true $25 pays all your utilities including internet. According to residents, this results in very low quality (crappy signal strength on internet, weak heating, etc.). Also, look at the reviews on apartmentratings.com. If that is not enough to scare you away, you are braver than I.

Allen Klein (http://www.penngradapts.com) - I looked in the Fairfax building. Good space and quality for price. The building seems reasonably well managed and is very pet friendly (there is a dog run in the courtyard). Definitely predominantly grad students. I would recommend this one.

I also saw some apartments from craigslist ads for walk-ups. Quality deals are to be found there for those willing to look.

As I mentioned above, there is another 1-bdrm in the building I'm picking, available Aug. 15. It's a walk-up building at 40th & Chestnut, grad students only. Message me if you want info on that or any more detail on anything else I saw.

I hope this helps some of you with your search!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rhapsodyinazul

New

Post by rhapsodyinazul » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:06 pm

Deposited today. Looking forward to checking out Philly this fall.

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:00 am

My deposit and deferral have been officially received (at least that's what my status checker says), so here I come, Penn!

PoorOrpheus

Bronze

Post by PoorOrpheus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:36 am

I've decided to join the roommate search after checking out 1BR prices (eek!). If any of you are interested in rooming in a UC 2BR with a girl (I'm open to both male and female roommates), feel free to PM me. :)

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:55 pm

MeasuredOptimism wrote:I have a little time now, so I figured I would elaborate on the housing options I saw on Saturday, for the benefit of others looking for housing in University City:

Apts at Penn (http://www.apts-at-penn.com) - I looked in the building around 43rd & Pine. The apartments were small, low quality, and not sufficiently cheap to justify it. Also had a very undergrad-y feel.

UCH (http://www.uchweb.com) - I looked in the Castle Hill and Blenheim buildings. The apartments were a very good size, especially for the price. They also do this too-good-to-be-true $25 pays all your utilities including internet. According to residents, this results in very low quality (crappy signal strength on internet, weak heating, etc.). Also, look at the reviews on apartmentratings.com. If that is not enough to scare you away, you are braver than I.

Allen Klein (http://www.penngradapts.com) - I looked in the Fairfax building. Good space and quality for price. The building seems reasonably well managed and is very pet friendly (there is a dog run in the courtyard). Definitely predominantly grad students. I would recommend this one.

I also saw some apartments from craigslist ads for walk-ups. Quality deals are to be found there for those willing to look.

As I mentioned above, there is another 1-bdrm in the building I'm picking, available Aug. 15. It's a walk-up building at 40th & Chestnut, grad students only. Message me if you want info on that or any more detail on anything else I saw.

I hope this helps some of you with your search!

This is extremely helpful. Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”