Notre Dame Fightin Irish

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
edgarderby
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby edgarderby » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:28 pm

BuffaloSabres137 wrote:haha yeah it was a pretty good soft to put on my NDLS application... especially since I led the NDLS welcoming pep rally for the past two years as a way to introduce all of the 1Ls to our football tradition.

On a side note, I just took a break from writing my term papers so I could personally welcome coach Kelly to campus outside his office when he arrived. He seems like a very energetic and upbeat guy. WNDU and the Associate Press both interviewed me and asked why I felt it necessary to do this as a senior who won't get a chance to be here at the same time as Kelly. I told them that it was important to me as a representative of the Fighting Irish and a fan who cares about the future of our program... I also may have let it slip that I am hoping for 3 more years of Fighting Irish football as a NDLS student... I guess you could call that a verbal soft commit on my part? haha

Go Irish!



Haha, that's pretty cool.

User avatar
fulkersonr1
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby fulkersonr1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:02 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Hi!

I was accepted a few days ago and read the entire booklet they sent out. I was wondering a few things. I love the idea of community and the traditions of Notre Dame, but I was hoping someone who had more experience on the school could answer some questions for me.

I'm not Catholic, though have never had a problem being around people with different beliefs as me. I pretty much stand for every social cause Catholicism traditionally stands against, and I talked about that quite openly on my application.

I noticed a few professors the handbook described bring Catholicism into the classroom. How prevelant is this? Would I be out of place to raise questions or disagree?

I actually like the idea of being in an environment where there is a group of people with different beliefs than mine (I went to two really liberal undergrads, and political/ethical conversations sort of dead ended at, "So...yeah. Thats...what I think too. Exactly. *look left, look right* want to get a shot?")

Basically what I'm asking is how out of place I would be as a single, pro-choice, pro-gay marriage chick? I don't mean to imply that Notre Dame isn't tolerant of other beliefs at all, but more just how I might fit in.


Hey. Im also not Catholic and am socially liberal. I do not think I would feel out of place at Notre Dame because it seems like there are a wide range of people with different beliefs at the school. I also like the community environment and the schools emphasis on morals and social justice which stems from the Catholic tradition. Im going to visit sometime in January so hopefully I'll get a better feel then.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby Pearalegal » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:04 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:Hey. Im also not Catholic and am socially liberal. I do not think I would feel out of place at Notre Dame because it seems like there are a wide range of people with different beliefs at the school. I also like the community environment and the schools emphasis on morals and social justice which stems from the Catholic tradition. Im going to visit sometime in January so hopefully I'll get a better feel then.


Thanks! Thats what I think must be the case too. I'm trying to plan a trip around the same time.

User avatar
edgarderby
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby edgarderby » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:47 pm

sckon wrote:Notre Dame is not going to the BCS anytime soon. Having lived 3 miles away from Grand Valley St. where Kelly got his start, well the system is crazy. Next year will be a 5-6 win season and that is optimistic. Kelly needs massive amounts of receivers and a QB who is somewhat mobile (think Colt McCoy mobile). Kelly is not a defensive guru by any means but he will have the resources to find someone that can take care of that side of the ball. Next year will be ugly and rough, but still should be fun to watch how it plays out.


Tony Pike, mobile? lolol

sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby sckon » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:04 am

edgarderby wrote:
sckon wrote:Notre Dame is not going to the BCS anytime soon. Having lived 3 miles away from Grand Valley St. where Kelly got his start, well the system is crazy. Next year will be a 5-6 win season and that is optimistic. Kelly needs massive amounts of receivers and a QB who is somewhat mobile (think Colt McCoy mobile). Kelly is not a defensive guru by any means but he will have the resources to find someone that can take care of that side of the ball. Next year will be ugly and rough, but still should be fun to watch how it plays out.


Tony Pike, mobile? lolol


Tony Pike is not his ideal quarterback. Look at the recruits he brought in.

User avatar
edgarderby
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby edgarderby » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:26 am

sckon wrote:
edgarderby wrote:
sckon wrote:Notre Dame is not going to the BCS anytime soon. Having lived 3 miles away from Grand Valley St. where Kelly got his start, well the system is crazy. Next year will be a 5-6 win season and that is optimistic. Kelly needs massive amounts of receivers and a QB who is somewhat mobile (think Colt McCoy mobile). Kelly is not a defensive guru by any means but he will have the resources to find someone that can take care of that side of the ball. Next year will be ugly and rough, but still should be fun to watch how it plays out.


Tony Pike, mobile? lolol


Tony Pike is not his ideal quarterback. Look at the recruits he brought in.


And yet he got to the BCS with an unideal quarterback.

And this is moot, because Dayne Crist is just as mobile as Collaros...well, when he has knees.

sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby sckon » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:34 pm

sckon wrote:
edgarderby wrote:
sckon wrote:Notre Dame is not going to the BCS anytime soon. Having lived 3 miles away from Grand Valley St. where Kelly got his start, well the system is crazy. Next year will be a 5-6 win season and that is optimistic. Kelly needs massive amounts of receivers and a QB who is somewhat mobile (think Colt McCoy mobile). Kelly is not a defensive guru by any means but he will have the resources to find someone that can take care of that side of the ball. Next year will be ugly and rough, but still should be fun to watch how it plays out.


Tony Pike, mobile? lolol


Tony Pike is not his ideal quarterback. Look at the recruits he brought in.


His health scares me. They have a new recruit coming in too. Not mobile enough though but will probably be redshirted anyway

User avatar
fulkersonr1
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby fulkersonr1 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:19 am

Can anyone give insight into how no class rankings affect students at ND. Does it make things less competitive? Any impact on OCI/finding employment? Thanks.

User avatar
GhostDynasty
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:18 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby GhostDynasty » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:08 am

I would also like to know.

sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby sckon » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:15 am

fulkersonr1 wrote:Can anyone give insight into how no class rankings affect students at ND. Does it make things less competitive? Any impact on OCI/finding employment? Thanks.



This is my two cents from when I visited and talk to students. No class rank = little competition. Students are more willing to help one another, which was clearly visible. The only competition would be for the Law Review but for 1L that really isnt their focus anyways. I know it sounds idealistic and a little cheese but it really is more like a community. I say little evidence of gunners in the class I was in, but even if there were it wouldn't effect you since there is no rank!

I doubt this has any impact on employment. I think with grade distributions of a normal law school they can probably get a good sense of where you stand within your respective class just by looking at your GPA. The cool thing though concerning employment is that for the summer after 1L, if you decide to go into a public service summer position, they will pay your living expenses and give you a stipend. They said this has been great in terms of their employment since they have more students in comparison to peer schools with work experience.

User avatar
GhostDynasty
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:18 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby GhostDynasty » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:17 am

I like Notre Dame alot lately.

User avatar
longhornem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby longhornem » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:40 am

Pearalegal wrote:Hi!

I was accepted a few days ago and read the entire booklet they sent out. I was wondering a few things. I love the idea of community and the traditions of Notre Dame, but I was hoping someone who had more experience on the school could answer some questions for me.

I'm not Catholic, though have never had a problem being around people with different beliefs as me. I pretty much stand for every social cause Catholicism traditionally stands against, and I talked about that quite openly on my application.

I noticed a few professors the handbook described bring Catholicism into the classroom. How prevelant is this? Would I be out of place to raise questions or disagree?

I actually like the idea of being in an environment where there is a group of people with different beliefs than mine (I went to two really liberal undergrads, and political/ethical conversations sort of dead ended at, "So...yeah. Thats...what I think too. Exactly. *look left, look right* want to get a shot?")

Basically what I'm asking is how out of place I would be as a single, pro-choice, pro-gay marriage chick? I don't mean to imply that Notre Dame isn't tolerant of other beliefs at all, but more just how I might fit in.


Congrats! I'm a 2L, and you don't need to worry about this. You'd actually be surprised at the range of views and events they have - like a month or so ago, they had LGBT awareness week at the law school with speakers all week, which were extremely well-attended, like a con law professor talking about gay marriage and the first openly gay judge in Illinois talking about his experiences (and openly criticizing the Catholic Church and its stance on homosexuality to boot). I've had one professor who prayed before one class, but it was a small seminar class and the only class he prayed before was the last class of the semester, which he had at his house as a semi-Christmas party/discussion. When there are any sort of class discussions, for example a discussion in my property class last year on whether people should be allowed to sell their organs, you will hear a range of views, from the conservative typically Catholic view to a more unconventional view, and it goes alright (the only thing that people were really shocked by in that discussion was a guy who suggested that the government sell the organs of dead soldiers to fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan :shock: ). Don't worry, there are definitely people who think like you.

User avatar
longhornem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby longhornem » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:44 am

fulkersonr1 wrote:Can anyone give insight into how no class rankings affect students at ND. Does it make things less competitive? Any impact on OCI/finding employment? Thanks.


Employers who come to campus and/or who have ND alums know what our grades mean, and what a good GPA is, so they'll just look for, say, a B+ average. If you're targeting somewhere without a lot of ND alums, Career Services has a letter for you to send with your transcript explaining that we don't rank and don't have grade inflation, what our median is, etc. I feel like it definitely makes things less competitive.

User avatar
longhornem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby longhornem » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:46 am

BuffaloSabres137 wrote:haha yeah it was a pretty good soft to put on my NDLS application... especially since I led the NDLS welcoming pep rally for the past two years as a way to introduce all of the 1Ls to our football tradition.

On a side note, I just took a break from writing my term papers so I could personally welcome coach Kelly to campus outside his office when he arrived. He seems like a very energetic and upbeat guy. WNDU and the Associate Press both interviewed me and asked why I felt it necessary to do this as a senior who won't get a chance to be here at the same time as Kelly. I told them that it was important to me as a representative of the Fighting Irish and a fan who cares about the future of our program... I also may have let it slip that I am hoping for 3 more years of Fighting Irish football as a NDLS student... I guess you could call that a verbal soft commit on my part? haha

Go Irish!


That's awesome! Congrats!

User avatar
longhornem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby longhornem » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:50 am

77to101 wrote:did you guys go to ND for UG? Am I the only one who reacts like :roll: when grad students talk about their grad school's football or basketball programs like they've been life-long fans? IMO only the UG students, UG alums, and family members of either of those two are allowed to feel like true fans. Root for your own UG school.


I cheer for my UG and ND, as long as they aren't playing each other (then I would have to cheer for my UG but for it to be the closest game possible :) ). I think as long as you have a connection to the school you're good. Being a student of any kind definitely counts.

sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby sckon » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:57 am

longhornem wrote:
77to101 wrote:did you guys go to ND for UG? Am I the only one who reacts like :roll: when grad students talk about their grad school's football or basketball programs like they've been life-long fans? IMO only the UG students, UG alums, and family members of either of those two are allowed to feel like true fans. Root for your own UG school.


I cheer for my UG and ND, as long as they aren't playing each other (then I would have to cheer for my UG but for it to be the closest game possible :) ). I think as long as you have a connection to the school you're good. Being a student of any kind definitely counts.



Question longhornem: Who active is the law school with regard to going to games? I know there is a tailgate but didn't know if it was just exaggerated and a majority didn't go. Thoughts?

User avatar
longhornem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby longhornem » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:12 am

sckon wrote:
longhornem wrote:
77to101 wrote:did you guys go to ND for UG? Am I the only one who reacts like :roll: when grad students talk about their grad school's football or basketball programs like they've been life-long fans? IMO only the UG students, UG alums, and family members of either of those two are allowed to feel like true fans. Root for your own UG school.


I cheer for my UG and ND, as long as they aren't playing each other (then I would have to cheer for my UG but for it to be the closest game possible :) ). I think as long as you have a connection to the school you're good. Being a student of any kind definitely counts.



Question longhornem: Who active is the law school with regard to going to games? I know there is a tailgate but didn't know if it was just exaggerated and a majority didn't go. Thoughts?


The people who don't go are in the minority, definitely. It's a huge part of the culture, even in the law school.

User avatar
edgarderby
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby edgarderby » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:49 pm

sckon wrote:
longhornem wrote:
77to101 wrote:did you guys go to ND for UG? Am I the only one who reacts like :roll: when grad students talk about their grad school's football or basketball programs like they've been life-long fans? IMO only the UG students, UG alums, and family members of either of those two are allowed to feel like true fans. Root for your own UG school.


I cheer for my UG and ND, as long as they aren't playing each other (then I would have to cheer for my UG but for it to be the closest game possible :) ). I think as long as you have a connection to the school you're good. Being a student of any kind definitely counts.



Question longhornem: Who active is the law school with regard to going to games? I know there is a tailgate but didn't know if it was just exaggerated and a majority didn't go. Thoughts?


I know ONE person that doesn't have season tickets, and even she ended up going to a game or two by picking up tickets of people who had to leave town.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby Pearalegal » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:29 pm

longhornem wrote:Congrats! I'm a 2L, and you don't need to worry about this. You'd actually be surprised at the range of views and events they have - like a month or so ago, they had LGBT awareness week at the law school with speakers all week, which were extremely well-attended, like a con law professor talking about gay marriage and the first openly gay judge in Illinois talking about his experiences (and openly criticizing the Catholic Church and its stance on homosexuality to boot). I've had one professor who prayed before one class, but it was a small seminar class and the only class he prayed before was the last class of the semester, which he had at his house as a semi-Christmas party/discussion. When there are any sort of class discussions, for example a discussion in my property class last year on whether people should be allowed to sell their organs, you will hear a range of views, from the conservative typically Catholic view to a more unconventional view, and it goes alright (the only thing that people were really shocked by in that discussion was a guy who suggested that the government sell the organs of dead soldiers to fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan :shock: ). Don't worry, there are definitely people who think like you.


Thank you! This makes me feel a lot more confident. I can't wait to visit the school. That all sounds wonderful!

User avatar
fulkersonr1
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby fulkersonr1 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:46 am

Pearalegal wrote:
longhornem wrote:Congrats! I'm a 2L, and you don't need to worry about this. You'd actually be surprised at the range of views and events they have - like a month or so ago, they had LGBT awareness week at the law school with speakers all week, which were extremely well-attended, like a con law professor talking about gay marriage and the first openly gay judge in Illinois talking about his experiences (and openly criticizing the Catholic Church and its stance on homosexuality to boot). I've had one professor who prayed before one class, but it was a small seminar class and the only class he prayed before was the last class of the semester, which he had at his house as a semi-Christmas party/discussion. When there are any sort of class discussions, for example a discussion in my property class last year on whether people should be allowed to sell their organs, you will hear a range of views, from the conservative typically Catholic view to a more unconventional view, and it goes alright (the only thing that people were really shocked by in that discussion was a guy who suggested that the government sell the organs of dead soldiers to fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan :shock: ). Don't worry, there are definitely people who think like you.


Thank you! This makes me feel a lot more confident. I can't wait to visit the school. That all sounds wonderful!


+1

sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby sckon » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:19 pm

Its official. I am on board after Michigan decided we were not going to be a good match.

User avatar
fulkersonr1
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby fulkersonr1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:04 pm

Anybody going for a visit in January? I just received my confirmation/itinerary e-mail. Excited to see the school and campus in person!

sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby sckon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:43 am

fulkersonr1 wrote:Anybody going for a visit in January? I just received my confirmation/itinerary e-mail. Excited to see the school and campus in person!


It will be fun especially since exams would be over by then. The only downside is not being able to see the library which I believe will be done this summer? Have fun, report back.

User avatar
fulkersonr1
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby fulkersonr1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:48 am

sckon wrote:
fulkersonr1 wrote:Anybody going for a visit in January? I just received my confirmation/itinerary e-mail. Excited to see the school and campus in person!


It will be fun especially since exams would be over by then. The only downside is not being able to see the library which I believe will be done this summer? Have fun, report back.



OK will do. Yeah would be great to see the new library but Im excited to see the law building and meet some students and faculty.

sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby sckon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:08 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:
sckon wrote:
fulkersonr1 wrote:Anybody going for a visit in January? I just received my confirmation/itinerary e-mail. Excited to see the school and campus in person!


It will be fun especially since exams would be over by then. The only downside is not being able to see the library which I believe will be done this summer? Have fun, report back.



OK will do. Yeah would be great to see the new library but Im excited to see the law building and meet some students and faculty.



Are you going to be bringing up asking for more $ too?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest