Notre Dame Fightin Irish

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
nyyankees

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby nyyankees » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:38 pm

Veritas wrote:I'm out guys. Scholarship negotiation was not successful (which is extremely disappointing/frustrating). In light of my other options, I just don't see myself rationalizing the cost of sticker at Notre Dame :(

Good luck to you all!

sorry to hear that. I was so excited for you when you got in. Good luck in the decision making process

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:44 pm

nyyankees wrote:
Veritas wrote:I'm out guys. Scholarship negotiation was not successful (which is extremely disappointing/frustrating). In light of my other options, I just don't see myself rationalizing the cost of sticker at Notre Dame :(

Good luck to you all!

sorry to hear that. I was so excited for you when you got in. Good luck in the decision making process

Thanks! I was so excited too, but all is good. I'm really excited for my options.

sckon

Postby sckon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Just thought I would drop by and say hey. Have not been on in eons.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:15 pm

It's looks like I'll be heading to Notre Dame.

Where are people living? The on-campus housing looks nice and convenient, but I'd prefer my own place. Are there any decent off-campus places nearby?

sckon

Postby sckon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:34 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:It's looks like I'll be heading to Notre Dame.

Where are people living? The on-campus housing looks nice and convenient, but I'd prefer my own place. Are there any decent off-campus places nearby?

Thank god. I will have a Seinfeld companion. On campus is ok imo. Indiana Lakes and others are affordable. The facebook page has a lot of information.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:29 pm

Bah! Did anyone else get their financial aid award? Mine didn't include my GradPlus loans like all my other schools!?

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:59 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Bah! Did anyone else get their financial aid award? Mine didn't include my GradPlus loans like all my other schools!?

Yeah mine too. I e-mailed them about this but they said there was GradPlus info in the packet so sent another asking how we get/know our GradPlus award. Rather confusing.

cheesus

Postby cheesus » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:23 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Bah! Did anyone else get their financial aid award? Mine didn't include my GradPlus loans like all my other schools!?

Yeah mine too. I e-mailed them about this but they said there was GradPlus info in the packet so sent another asking how we get/know our GradPlus award. Rather confusing.

I believe your GradPlus amount will be the total cost of attendance minus the total financial aid award amount in the letter.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:16 pm

I am funding this law school dream myself, so I had a question about the student budget...

Is it just me, or does it look a little thin at ND compared to other places (WUSTL, Vandy, Illinois, etc.), even considering the lower COL? They don't seem to give as large of a "personal expenses" category after you take into account the health insurance fee.

I know I should live like a student... but I don't want to starve. Maybe I can just take some extra communion bread? (Kidding, of course.)

UrbanAchievers

Postby UrbanAchievers » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:41 pm

theantiscalia wrote:I am funding this law school dream myself, so I had a question about the student budget...

Is it just me, or does it look a little thin at ND compared to other places (WUSTL, Vandy, Illinois, etc.), even considering the lower COL? They don't seem to give as large of a "personal expenses" category after you take into account the health insurance fee.

I know I should live like a student... but I don't want to starve. Maybe I can just take some extra communion bread? (Kidding, of course.)

I agree. The budget was much thinner than the budget provided to me from UIUC, which should be comparable in terms of the COL. I intend to meet with finaid when I visit next week and speak with them on this topic.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:49 pm

Just Checking In...

I recently received my acceptance box and Im really excited. ND is among my top choices, if not my top choice, and I will be visiting on the 9th. Hope to see you guys there!

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:12 pm

did everyone get their fin aid packages this week? I still havent got mine....

cheesus

Postby cheesus » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:18 pm

nyyankees wrote:did everyone get their fin aid packages this week? I still havent got mine....

I received mine on Thursday of last week.

glasnost

Postby glasnost » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:31 pm

cheesus wrote:
nyyankees wrote:did everyone get their fin aid packages this week? I still havent got mine....

I received mine on Thursday of last week.

ditto. i got mine saturday.

question: did anyone receive need-based aid? i've been offered a scholarship with my acceptance letter and I assume that was merit-based. i was hoping to qualify for some need-based grant or something, but in my FA offer letter i just got direct loans. kind of a bummer, but i guess i should be thankful since lots of people end up paying sticker...

vanstone22

Postby vanstone22 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:07 pm

I wasn't able to increase my scholarship. With this information plus the relatively small amount of aid I'm allowed to take ND may not be in the cards any longer. We'll see how my WUSTL visit goes next weekend.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:31 am

Withdrawn from every other WL but ND, and gonna ride it out this summer...wish me luck everyone

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:24 pm

dp73816 wrote:Withdrawn from every other WL but ND, and gonna ride it out this summer...wish me luck everyone

I'll be joining you. :D

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:25 pm

UrbanAchievers wrote:
theantiscalia wrote:I am funding this law school dream myself, so I had a question about the student budget...

I agree. The budget was much thinner than the budget provided to me from UIUC, which should be comparable in terms of the COL. I intend to meet with finaid when I visit next week and speak with them on this topic.

Let me know what they say... I didn't get to talk to a financial aid person there (I was there on Saturday), but the student I talked to seemed to suggest that the student budget is thin.

VanStone, is that what you were talking about with the funding problem?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:01 pm

I've committed to ND (though I'm still on reserve at Cornell and regular WL at Georgetown). Keeping my apartment at Clover Village for another three years, no need to move on campus when this has worked fine. Excited to be staying around here for a few more years, hopefully we'll be better than 6-6 in the fall.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:59 pm

Stupid question... is there a way to pay the deposit online, or do I have to go to the post office?

colemf

Postby colemf » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:06 pm

Hey how long did it take for yall to get your fin. aid from the day you were admitted?

brocklanders12

Postby brocklanders12 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:27 pm

colemf wrote:Hey how long did it take for yall to get your fin. aid from the day you were admitted?

I am also interested in this.

vanstone22

Postby vanstone22 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Visiting WUSTL tomorrow, I'm hoping to make my final decision by tomorrow.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:06 pm

vanstone22 wrote:Visiting WUSTL tomorrow, I'm hoping to make my final decision by tomorrow.

Let me know what you think of WUSTL and how it compares to ND.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:06 pm

brocklanders12 wrote:
colemf wrote:Hey how long did it take for yall to get your fin. aid from the day you were admitted?

I am also interested in this.

I emailed the Financial Aid Office... they were very helpful. I was admitted on April 1 and they mailed me the letter on Monday (April 12).

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”