Notre Dame Fightin Irish

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
jockinjay-z

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby jockinjay-z » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Thanks Sckon, here's another dumb question though? Do you guys think its too late to apply for the OPTIONAL APPLICATION FOR NEED-BASED AID?? I put down some brief info on the application but didnt really give it much thought at the time b/c i was more concerned about getting my app in early. Unfortunately for me my family is not that poor or in dire financial condition, however I will still be responsible for bearing all the costs of ND if I go so any need based aid I can get would be great! But I'm scared its probly too late to get this?! Any thoughts??

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:51 pm

Sounds great, thanks for the info. on the AR program! And you were right about Fiddler's, great pint! I tried their cask ale which was an IPA and really good.
Last edited by fulkersonr1 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:55 pm

jockinjay-z wrote:Thanks Sckon, here's another dumb question though? Do you guys think its too late to apply for the OPTIONAL APPLICATION FOR NEED-BASED AID?? I put down some brief info on the application but didnt really give it much thought at the time b/c i was more concerned about getting my app in early. Unfortunately for me my family is not that poor or in dire financial condition, however I will still be responsible for bearing all the costs of ND if I go so any need based aid I can get would be great! But I'm scared its probly too late to get this?! Any thoughts??

I would just contact Melissa at the financial aid office. They are helpful and friendly. Costs are my only real concern with ND so I can sympathize.

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Well my request for scholarship consideration was denied today. Pretty disappointed. I knew odds were good that I would not receive any $ but still had my hopes up. Makes it a tough decision whether to suck it up and go to ND since its my first choice or take $ at a school that I like just not as much as ND. I'll have to keep in mind that I will be taking on heavy debt wherever I go. Just have to decide if Notre Dame is worth the extra $50,000 or so.

sckon

Postby sckon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:14 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:Well my request for scholarship consideration was denied today. Pretty disappointed. I knew odds were good that I would not receive any $ but still had my hopes up. Makes it a tough decision whether to suck it up and go to ND since its my first choice or take $ at a school that I like just not as much as ND. I'll have to keep in mind that I will be taking on heavy debt wherever I go. Just have to decide if Notre Dame is worth the extra $50,000 or so.

Sorry to hear that. Not trying to recruit or anything, but simply looking at their OCI convinced me enough.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:22 pm

BuffaloSabres137 wrote:Many non-Catholic students attend these masses so there is no pressure / awkwardness.

I find this odd.

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:26 pm

sckon wrote:
fulkersonr1 wrote:Well my request for scholarship consideration was denied today. Pretty disappointed. I knew odds were good that I would not receive any $ but still had my hopes up. Makes it a tough decision whether to suck it up and go to ND since its my first choice or take $ at a school that I like just not as much as ND. I'll have to keep in mind that I will be taking on heavy debt wherever I go. Just have to decide if Notre Dame is worth the extra $50,000 or so.

Sorry to hear that. Not trying to recruit or anything, but simply looking at their OCI convinced me enough.

Yeah the OCI looks to be much better than similarly ranked schools also have to consider the alumni network. BTW I saw you turned down a huge offer from Iowa. Good to know if I decide to go to ND I won't be the only one leaving money on the table.

sckon

Postby sckon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:38 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:
sckon wrote:

Yeah the OCI looks to be much better than similarly ranked schools also have to consider the alumni network. BTW I saw you turned down a huge offer from Iowa. Good to know if I decide to go to ND I won't be the only one leaving money on the table.

I struggled with it....but we could be poor together and eat microwave meals in the lounge area

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:52 pm

sckon wrote:
fulkersonr1 wrote:
sckon wrote:

I struggled with it....but we could be poor together and eat microwave meals in the lounge area

Haha or try and make it as freegans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeganism

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:19 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:
sckon wrote:

I plan to turn down $85,000 to attend ND. You guys won't be the only ones eating microwave dinners, but it will all be worth when Brian Kelly wins a national championship while we're there!!!

UrbanAchievers

Postby UrbanAchievers » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:39 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
BuffaloSabres137 wrote:Many non-Catholic students attend these masses so there is no pressure / awkwardness.

I find this odd.

I went to a Catholic high school. I'm not religious. I found the mandatory services boring, but never awkward. I thin that if I were attending a place as beautiful as Notre Dame, I might actually find a mass service relaxing.

sckon

Postby sckon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:51 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:
Haha or try and make it as freegans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeganism

Yes! I am so excited to sneak my way into the dining halls and eating peoples left overs. The thrill will be spectacular.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:44 pm

UrbanAchievers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

I find this odd.

I went to a Catholic high school. I'm not religious. I found the mandatory services boring, but never awkward. I thin that if I were attending a place as beautiful as Notre Dame, I might actually find a mass service relaxing.

I guess mandatory masses seem a little different to me, these masses that non-Catholics attend are just encouraged. My "I find this odd," statement wasn't meant to pass judgment...I just found it...odd.

What did everyone think about the cartoon uproar? I actually liked the way the University handled it.

I think I saw the ND student group when I was fighting my way through the March for Life yesterday, trying to get to court to file something. Got yelled at by some minister (not ND, obviously). Yelled back.

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:13 am

Pearalegal wrote:
UrbanAchievers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

I find this odd.

I guess mandatory masses seem a little different to me, these masses that non-Catholics attend are just encouraged. My "I find this odd," statement wasn't meant to pass judgment...I just found it...odd.

What did everyone think about the cartoon uproar? I actually liked the way the University handled it.

I think I saw the ND student group when I was fighting my way through the March for Life yesterday, trying to get to court to file something. Got yelled at by some minister (not ND, obviously). Yelled back.

I thought the cartoon was terrible. So was the TLS thread about it. I think ND made the best out of a bad situation and handled it pretty well. Not sure how that ever made it into print though.

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Mailed in my seat deposit and withdrew my other applications today. Excited to be going to Notre Dame! While it was a difficult decision in the end I felt that both the better career opportunities, alumni network and the chance to be at a school where I felt comfortable and was truly going to be a part of a community was worth the extra cost. Look forward to seeing you guys in South Bend! Also looks like another batch of acceptances has been sent out today.

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:43 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:Mailed in my seat deposit and withdrew my other applications today. Excited to be going to Notre Dame! While it was a difficult decision in the end I felt that both the better career opportunities, alumni network and the chance to be at a school where I felt comfortable and was truly going to be a part of a community was worth the extra cost. Look forward to seeing you guys in South Bend! Also looks like another batch of acceptances has been sent out today.

CONGRATS, I am starting to lean that way, just want to see what $$ Emory gives me and try and see if I can get a little more from ND. That said I was looking at some student loan calculators and it isn't as scary as I thought, even 180,000 in debt is only 2,000 a month for ten years. Between my wife and I we can easliy pay that. Plus Obama is trying to cap student loans, yay that would be a life saver.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:21 pm

^ im in that batch. Im a HUGE ND fan already, so this is awesome for me. Ill probably get much more into this thread in the days to come

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:44 pm

nyyankees wrote:^ im in that batch. Im a HUGE ND fan already, so this is awesome for me. Ill probably get much more into this thread in the days to come

Congrats! BTW Im a big Yankees fan too.

jockinjay-z

Postby jockinjay-z » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:52 pm

Do you guys think that taking out $130k for ND is too much though especially considering that I've gotten into some other T-20s?? I really hope that they honor my request for some need based aid but I kinda doubt it this late in the game?!

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:52 pm

jockinjay-z wrote:Do you guys think that taking out $130k for ND is too much though especially considering that I've gotten into some other T-20s?? I really hope that they honor my request for some need based aid but I kinda doubt it this late in the game?!

FWIW Im going to be paying sticker and also had already been accepted to WUSTL with some other T-20s I was still waiting on. In the end ND was worth it for me but the decision is very personal and will depend on a number of factors. Good luck!

sckon

Postby sckon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:51 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:Mailed in my seat deposit and withdrew my other applications today. Excited to be going to Notre Dame! While it was a difficult decision in the end I felt that both the better career opportunities, alumni network and the chance to be at a school where I felt comfortable and was truly going to be a part of a community was worth the extra cost. Look forward to seeing you guys in South Bend! Also looks like another batch of acceptances has been sent out today.

Whoo hoo...feels weird to be done with the cycle doesn't it?

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:08 pm

sckon wrote:

Whoo hoo...feels weird to be done with the cycle doesn't it?

Yeah I think I will actually miss being neurotic about the mail everyday and always checking e-mail and status checkers haha. That said its nice to already know where Im going and to just be able to enjoy the time before school starts.

jockinjay-z

Postby jockinjay-z » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:57 am

fulkersonr1 wrote:
jockinjay-z wrote:Do you guys think that taking out $130k for ND is too much though especially considering that I've gotten into some other T-20s?? I really hope that they honor my request for some need based aid but I kinda doubt it this late in the game?!

FWIW Im going to be paying sticker and also had already been accepted to WUSTL with some other T-20s I was still waiting on. In the end ND was worth it for me but the decision is very personal and will depend on a number of factors. Good luck!

Wow props to you man, I also got into WashU too so if they give me alot more in scholarship $$$ than ND I think it'd be real hard for me to turn down. I can't wait for my visit to ND in March though, I have a friend who goes there for undergrad and he absolutely loves it there!

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:51 pm

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:33 am

Whats the link? Not working for me.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”