Notre Dame Fightin Irish

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
fulkersonr1

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby fulkersonr1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:24 pm

Just got back from visiting and overall have a very positive impression. The campus is really beautiful and the law school is completely integrated with the rest of campus. South Bend seemed to me to be an industrial working class type town. Reminded me a little of what it looks like driving through Columbus or Toledo. Honestly not really impressed with the city but its not like its East St. Louis or Flint. I did go to Fiddler's Hearth and thought it was a cool Irish pub with a fairly authentic feel. The law school building itself is really impressive. All the classrooms I saw were nice and the room used for moot court was perfect. The commons area is spacious, well lit with large windows, has a nice plasma screen and place to get coffee and snacks and was bustling with students. The library is not finished but is supposed to be completed in June and with the amount of space should be great. The rest of campus is laid out beautifully and the Basilica is stunning. Everyone I spoke to at the school was very friendly and helpful. The student who led my tour was a double domer and seems to really enjoy being at Notre Dame. Sat in on a Torts class. I was really tired and of course had not read the cases so it was not terribly exciting but did allow me to meet another student and see the Socratic method in action. Overall I loved the facilities, found the admissions staff to be very welcoming and friendly and got a sense of the community you always hear about at Notre Dame. Also learned some more about the London program which I feel makes that an even greater attraction. I was not aware of this but apparently even if you are in London you can still be involved in law review and do not miss OCI. If anybody has questions I will answer if I can.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:41 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:Just got back from visiting and overall have a very positive impression. The campus is really beautiful and the law school is completely integrated with the rest of campus. South Bend seemed to me to be an industrial working class type town. Reminded me a little of what it looks like driving through Columbus or Toledo. Honestly not really impressed with the city but its not like its East St. Louis or Flint. I did go to Fiddler's Hearth and thought it was a cool Irish pub with a fairly authentic feel. The law school building itself is really impressive. All the classrooms I saw were nice and the room used for moot court was perfect. The commons area is spacious, well lit with large windows, has a nice plasma screen and place to get coffee and snacks and was bustling with students. The library is not finished but is supposed to be completed in June and with the amount of space should be great. The rest of campus is laid out beautifully and the Basilica is stunning. Everyone I spoke to at the school was very friendly and helpful. The student who led my tour was a double domer and seems to really enjoy being at Notre Dame. Sat in on a Torts class. I was really tired and of course had not read the cases so it was not terribly exciting but did allow me to meet another student and see the Socratic method in action. Overall I loved the facilities, found the admissions staff to be very welcoming and friendly and got a sense of the community you always hear about at Notre Dame. Also learned some more about the London program which I feel makes that an even greater attraction. I was not aware of this but apparently even if you are in London you can still be involved in law review and do not miss OCI. If anybody has questions I will answer if I can.

Thanks for offering your impressions. Everything I hear about the campus itself sounds great. This may have been mentioned in the admit packet, but do students get a locker?

ND is one of my top options, but I have reservations about South Bend itself. I don't mind living in a small town - I've lived in a college town for the past 10 years- but I want it to be safe. I understand the crime is relatively high in South Bend; did the town make you somewhat uncomfortable while driving around? Do students/faculty tend to live in Mishawaka to get away from South Bend? If I sound overly cautious, it's because I'm married and don't want my wife exposed to crime.

Also, is there much to do around town other than the restaurants and bars? Are the typical major chain stores in town (e.g. Best Buy, Target, etc.)?

I'll probably visit in a couple of months to see for myself, but I appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:50 pm

UFMatt wrote:If I sound overly cautious, it's because I'm married and don't want my wife exposed to crime.

Thanks so much for the report! I'm going to respond to your PM in a little bit, but I'm at work.

And Matt, I'm sure you and your wife can handle being exposed to the same amount of crime everyone undergrad and graduate student has experienced who has attended ND. South Bend isn't the ghetto in Detroit or Baltimore, for heavens sake.

rookhawk

Postby rookhawk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:55 pm

+1
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:26 pm

I was comparing it to the Ohio cities more based on what i feel is the kind of dreary and drab look of the place. Probably was not the best description. The town felt safe to me. Im a big believer in the way you handle yourself cuts down on risk of crime greatly and have generally felt safe even in some places that are considered very dangerous but I think South Bend has a reputation of being pretty safe. I just meant to say the town appears a little run down in parts and is not especially visual pleasing. Again this is all from a quick impression and I do not think there is any reason for safety concerns.

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:27 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
UFMatt wrote:If I sound overly cautious, it's because I'm married and don't want my wife exposed to crime.

Thanks so much for the report! I'm going to respond to your PM in a little bit, but I'm at work.

And Matt, I'm sure you and your wife can handle being exposed to the same amount of crime everyone undergrad and graduate student has experienced who has attended ND. South Bend isn't the ghetto in Detroit or Baltimore, for heavens sake.

Like how you managed to disparage your hometown in there haha. or maybe just trying to bump up your street cred :lol:

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:30 pm

Oh and yes students get a locker for which you can bring your own pad lock. Also they have dressing rooms in the law school in case you have an interview and do not want to wear your suit or dress all day. They have showers too. Not sure how useful they are but i guess if you are in the library all night and want a quick refresher before class it could be handy.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:46 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

Like how you managed to disparage your hometown in there haha. or maybe just trying to bump up your street cred :lol:

Haha, I just think its silly to talk about being afriad to be exposed to south bends crime as if its some deadly place. I'm from Baltimore, yo. I have no street cred.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks for the responses. I promise I'm not as paranoid as my post suggested :D

sckon

Postby sckon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:17 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote: I was not aware of this but apparently even if you are in London you can still be involved in law review and do not miss OCI.

This surprised me. I want.

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:22 pm

sckon wrote:
fulkersonr1 wrote: I was not aware of this but apparently even if you are in London you can still be involved in law review and do not miss OCI.

Yeah that was great to hear. Aside from the astronomical cost of living in London the only drawback I saw to the program would be missing an opportunity to be on law review, but being able to do both is amazing.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:46 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:
sckon wrote:

Yeah that was great to hear. Aside from the astronomical cost of living in London the only drawback I saw to the program would be missing an opportunity to be on law review, but being able to do both is amazing.

Umm I want too!

but first I need to actually deserve to be in this thread.

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:02 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=94385

I was duped-retracted.
Last edited by rocross1 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:21 pm

rocross1 wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=94385

Wow. Bizarre to say the least.
Last edited by UFMatt on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sckon

Postby sckon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:30 am

Watch out for edgarderby. He has posted on this thread and apparently he's the same guy from this article!! Weird!

Wha?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:49 pm

sckon wrote:

Watch out for edgarderby. He has posted on this thread and apparently he's the same guy from this article!! Weird!

Wha?

lol. That's NOT edgarderby, that poster (who made the comment) was joking - edgar takes a lot of crap on TLS.

Edgar is a real student at ND.

sckon

Postby sckon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:11 pm

I knew something was fishy. Rocross1 gets -1 internet.

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:05 am

I guess I haven't been on the forum long enough to reallize a hoax, I apologize.

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:17 am

Any 2L or 3L students around that have had experience working as assistant rectors? I may be interested in trying to be an AR to defer some of the expenses of law school and think it could be enjoyable to have a connection to the larger university community. I would just like to know what the experience was generally like. Was it a rewarding experience? Is it difficult studying living amongst undergrads? What is the housing like? Also how difficult is it to obtain the position? I noticed helping with mass was mentioned in the job description, is this an essential duty? Do you have to be Catholic to be an AR? Thanks in advance for any info.

sckon

Postby sckon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:02 am

We really need a Nd student taking ?'s thread

BuffaloSabres137

Postby BuffaloSabres137 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:28 am

Thanks for all the descriptions, thats a pretty good picture of SB that you all are painting. As a current senior I would say that SB is definitely pretty sketchy in certain parts but if you live in the right area and associate with the right people it is as safe as any town you will find.

The "Irish Law" packet sent to those admitted does a great job at pointing out activities / attractions / essentials in SB and I actually learned a lot from it even though I have been living here for 4 years now.

As for the AR position, about 90% of ARs are college students. Those who went to ND for undergrad and already have experience with campus life are definitely favored in the application process, as are those who have developed relationships with the rectors of the dorms (they ultimately choose their ARs) I definitely plan on becoming an AR in the dorm I currently live in, and I think it is a great way to make meaningful connections with the ND family. It is a lot of work and ARs typically take their jobs very seriously, but the pay is awesome ($7000 a semester) and the free room isn't bad either. One of the ARs in my dorm (Alumni Hall, which is located about 100ft from NDLS) even has his own fire place in his room. I'm sure that comes in handy on late SB winter nights, studying law by the light of the fire Abe Lincoln style haha

(also glad you went to Fiddler's, finest place to get a pint in all of Michiana)

jockinjay-z

Postby jockinjay-z » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:31 am

Hey do you guys know for the admitted students day if well be able to tour the whole campus? Or is it just the law school?

sckon

Postby sckon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:08 am

It does have a tour of both the campus and the school. The open house schedule is available through the admitted students website.

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:15 pm

BuffaloSabres137 wrote:Thanks for all the descriptions, thats a pretty good picture of SB that you all are painting. As a current senior I would say that SB is definitely pretty sketchy in certain parts but if you live in the right area and associate with the right people it is as safe as any town you will find.

The "Irish Law" packet sent to those admitted does a great job at pointing out activities / attractions / essentials in SB and I actually learned a lot from it even though I have been living here for 4 years now.

As for the AR position, about 90% of ARs are college students. Those who went to ND for undergrad and already have experience with campus life are definitely favored in the application process, as are those who have developed relationships with the rectors of the dorms (they ultimately choose their ARs) I definitely plan on becoming an AR in the dorm I currently live in, and I think it is a great way to make meaningful connections with the ND family. It is a lot of work and ARs typically take their jobs very seriously, but the pay is awesome ($7000 a semester) and the free room isn't bad either. One of the ARs in my dorm (Alumni Hall, which is located about 100ft from NDLS) even has his own fire place in his room. I'm sure that comes in handy on late SB winter nights, studying law by the light of the fire Abe Lincoln style haha

(also glad you went to Fiddler's, finest place to get a pint in all of Michiana)

Thanks for the info. Im sure it is fairly demanding but the benefits are fantastic and would be a nice opportunity to really get involved in the ND community. I guess I will be at a disadvantag in applying though since I was not a ND undergrad. Do you know whether or not you have to be a Catholic to be an AR? Thanks.

BuffaloSabres137

Postby BuffaloSabres137 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:02 pm

You do not need to be a practicing Catholic to be an AR, but are encouraged to attend weekly dorm mass. Each dorm has its own chapel and hosts weekly mass usually on Sunday nights. Many non-Catholic students attend these masses so there is no pressure / awkwardness.

The fact that many ARs are previous undergrads who lived in the dorms they become ARs for should in no way discourage you from applying. Overall, the most qualified candidates are chosen for the job. During my four years in Alumni Hall I would say that just under half of my ARs (2 serve each year) have been former Alumni residents.

It really is a great job for aspiring attorneys since one of your main tasks is to maintain law and order within the dorm (like the time I was fined $500 by my AR for one party haha)

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”