Notre Dame Fightin Irish Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
brocklanders12

New

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Post by brocklanders12 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:18 pm

If you're referring to the student guide you're mailed with admission - I did not find Quizno's referenced at all, and definitely not under fine dining. :?:

ohiodem

New

Post by ohiodem » Mon May 24, 2010 9:44 pm

Last edited by ohiodem on Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomwelling

New

Post by tomwelling » Mon May 31, 2010 9:19 am

txhorn wrote:Without rank, how is law review and dean's list determined and what would the unofficial cutoffs be (in terms of %)?
This thread is kind of old, but....

Dean's List is 3.6 GPA. First year classes have medians a little over 3.1; fall semester this past year the median was 3.17. Also, 18 (out of 180+) people made Dean's List fall semester, so a 3.6 put someone in the top 10%. Speculatively, I think that the spring semester GPA will be slightly lower and there might be slightly fewer people on Dean's List, but first year GPA median is generally around the 3.14 range.

Law review takes a certain number of people who grade on, and the rest write on. Don't have specific information I can quote, but I believe that top 15 in each class grade on and they have 10 additional write on spots. Obviously, haven't seen what makes law review this year, but my guess is it will be a cumulative GPA between 3.6 and 3.7.

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:17 am

tomwelling wrote:
txhorn wrote:Without rank, how is law review and dean's list determined and what would the unofficial cutoffs be (in terms of %)?

Dean's List is 3.6 GPA. First year classes have medians a little over 3.1; fall semester this past year the median was 3.17. Also, 18 (out of 180+) people made Dean's List fall semester, so a 3.6 put someone in the top 10%. Speculatively, I think that the spring semester GPA will be slightly lower and there might be slightly fewer people on Dean's List, but first year GPA median is generally around the 3.14 range.

Law review takes a certain number of people who grade on, and the rest write on. Don't have specific information I can quote, but I believe that top 15 in each class grade on and they have 10 additional write on spots. Obviously, haven't seen what makes law review this year, but my guess is it will be a cumulative GPA between 3.6 and 3.7.
In the BCG guide, it lists magna and Dean's list as 3.6 and summa as 3.8. What % do you think is 3.8+? Further, is 3.4 the cutoff for biglaw at OCI? That sounds difficult to get if only 18 students get 3.6+

tomwelling

New

Post by tomwelling » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:44 am

txhorn wrote:
tomwelling wrote:

In the BCG guide, it lists magna and Dean's list as 3.6 and summa as 3.8. What % do you think is 3.8+? Further, is 3.4 the cutoff for biglaw at OCI? That sounds difficult to get if only 18 students get 3.6+
Those numbers for magna and summa are correct, and cum laude is 3.4. I think there are probably very, very few first year students with a 3.8, though I don't know the exact number (complete speculation: maybe 3-4 total people? without having seen a spring dean's list/grade distributions, it is really just a guess...).

Cutoff for firms at OCI often seems to be around 3.3, which is probably roughly top third of the class (and some firms just say top third). However, some of the firms have no cutoff, and for others it is 3.0 or 3.1. Since I am just going through OCI this fall, though, I don't have a lot of experience with it yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:28 pm

tomwelling wrote:
txhorn wrote:
tomwelling wrote:

Those numbers for magna and summa are correct, and cum laude is 3.4. I think there are probably very, very few first year students with a 3.8, though I don't know the exact number (complete speculation: maybe 3-4 total people? without having seen a spring dean's list/grade distributions, it is really just a guess...).

Cutoff for firms at OCI often seems to be around 3.3, which is probably roughly top third of the class (and some firms just say top third). However, some of the firms have no cutoff, and for others it is 3.0 or 3.1. Since I am just going through OCI this fall, though, I don't have a lot of experience with it yet.
Thanks!

Fergie

New

Post by Fergie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:57 pm

Anybody not turning in thier second deposit??

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Fergie wrote:Anybody not turning in thier second deposit??
I turned mine in.

Does anybody know how much the season football tickets will cost?

Also, when do we get our class schedules?

colemf

Bronze

Post by colemf » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:59 pm

theantiscalia wrote:
Fergie wrote:Anybody not turning in thier second deposit??
I turned mine in.

Does anybody know how much the season football tickets will cost?

Also, when do we get our class schedules?
Check out the facebook group, the football tickets look like they are going to be about 245$, im not sure about the schedules.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sixburgher

New

Post by sixburgher » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:20 pm

The Pitt and Utah games should be good

EffMy1L

New

Post by EffMy1L » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:25 pm

I was admitted as a transfer student today and need to find housing. Anybody have any suggestions or of know anybody looking for a (male) roommate?

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:36 pm

EffMy1L wrote:I was admitted as a transfer student today and need to find housing. Anybody have any suggestions or of know anybody looking for a (male) roommate?
I don't know of any, but if you check out the Facebook group (link on the previous page in this thread) there might be some folks.

EffMy1L

New

Post by EffMy1L » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:04 am

theantiscalia wrote:I don't know of any, but if you check out the Facebook group (link on the previous page in this thread) there might be some folks.
Thank you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pohboydomer

New

Post by pohboydomer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Hey all, NDLS grad here, things can change year to year, but here's my perspective for a few of the more recent questions.

As to the lack of a Whole Foods, the best grocery store in town is Martin's, and there's one just around the corner from campus. There's plenty of "fine dining," depending on what you're exactly looking for: the LaSalle Grill and a Ruth's Chris, to name a couple. But if you're interested in high-end groceries and steak dinners, I hope you're a trust fund kid.

On football tickets, you're technically assigned a seat, but most people just drift generally into the student area of the stands. Grad students all have a section at the goal line (freshmen and sophomores have worse seats, juniors and seniors have better seats).

For Latin honors, it's hard to say how they shake down before graduation. After all, the curve is a lot harder for 1Ls, and more people do better each semester. At graduation, I'd guess a handful of people (4-7 depending on the year) got summa; about 10%-15% got magna (or higher); and about 35-40% got cum laude (or higher). It's obviously a lot lower than that, especially for cum laude, among 1Ls. I'd say about 10% of the class finishes 1L year with a 3.6 or higher.

Law review is 15+ grade on; they generally try to find a natural break in the class to determine grade-ons. That makes 3.6 or so pretty safe for grading on. For write-ons, I'm sure it varies by staff, but I always was under the impression that grades were still a factor for write-ons; that is, you couldn't have a 2.9 and write on, and virtually everyone on LR end up graduating with some kind of honors (but maybe that's because they write well).

Fire away with more insider/long-term questions, and I'm happy to answer (if I drift back here).

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:41 pm

pohboydomer wrote:Hey all, NDLS grad here, things can change year to year, but here's my perspective for a few of the more recent questions.

As to the lack of a Whole Foods, the best grocery store in town is Martin's, and there's one just around the corner from campus. There's plenty of "fine dining," depending on what you're exactly looking for: the LaSalle Grill and a Ruth's Chris, to name a couple. But if you're interested in high-end groceries and steak dinners, I hope you're a trust fund kid.

On football tickets, you're technically assigned a seat, but most people just drift generally into the student area of the stands. Grad students all have a section at the goal line (freshmen and sophomores have worse seats, juniors and seniors have better seats).

For Latin honors, it's hard to say how they shake down before graduation. After all, the curve is a lot harder for 1Ls, and more people do better each semester. At graduation, I'd guess a handful of people (4-7 depending on the year) got summa; about 10%-15% got magna (or higher); and about 35-40% got cum laude (or higher). It's obviously a lot lower than that, especially for cum laude, among 1Ls. I'd say about 10% of the class finishes 1L year with a 3.6 or higher.

Law review is 15+ grade on; they generally try to find a natural break in the class to determine grade-ons. That makes 3.6 or so pretty safe for grading on. For write-ons, I'm sure it varies by staff, but I always was under the impression that grades were still a factor for write-ons; that is, you couldn't have a 2.9 and write on, and virtually everyone on LR end up graduating with some kind of honors (but maybe that's because they write well).

Fire away with more insider/long-term questions, and I'm happy to answer (if I drift back here).
Thanks for the input, pohboydomer. I have a few questions if you don't mind:

Is OCI going to be as bad as people here are making it sound (i.e. are people on law review having trouble finding jobs)?
Does it get boring being in South Bend, or are people so preoccupied with school that it doesn't matter? Coming from a big city, and not being much of a football fan, I'm a bit nervous about finding something to do with myself when I'm not studying.

Thanks!

pohboydomer

New

Post by pohboydomer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:24 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:
pohboydomer wrote:Hey all, NDLS grad here, things can change year to year, but here's my perspective for a few of the more recent questions.

Thanks for the input, pohboydomer. I have a few questions if you don't mind:

Is OCI going to be as bad as people here are making it sound (i.e. are people on law review having trouble finding jobs)?
Does it get boring being in South Bend, or are people so preoccupied with school that it doesn't matter? Coming from a big city, and not being much of a football fan, I'm a bit nervous about finding something to do with myself when I'm not studying.

Thanks!
As far as I've heard, people on law review haven't had trouble finding jobs, but they haven't exactly been landing the prime jobs like they used to get. And of course, OCI even in the boom times was only good for 1/3 or so of the class, so there were plenty of people looking for jobs outside of OCI. I'm sure it's going to be difficult this year, as it was last year. And it likely will be difficult next year. But if you're going to law school, by this time you should have it worked into your calculus that the job opportunities circa 2006 are gone, and you should plan on them being gone indefinitely. That goes for pretty much all schools, not just NDLS. But with the alumni network, and some elbow grease on your part, you'll land something. It'll just take some initiative. I guess without more details about rumors, pessimism, or misinformation, I don't know what else to say, except to be blunt that anyone entering law school this year, just like last year, should not exactly expect a dreamworld.

Metro South Bend has 250,000 or so people. It's a 2:20 train ride, or 1:30 or so drive, to Chicago. I guess it all depends on what you like "to do with [your]self." And of course you'll have free time. There are a good number of bars. Campus has a lot of shows and activities if you look for them. You'll survive. It's not like you're in rural Idaho.

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:44 pm

To all the current NDLS students...

I can't believe I'm five weeks out and don't know how this works, but are 1Ls assigned to sections? How big are first year classes?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:05 am

Anyone hear anything good or bad about Hurwich Farms?

cheesus

New

Post by cheesus » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:11 am

clint4law wrote:Anyone hear anything good or bad about Hurwich Farms?
I looked at them when I looked for apartments last month, but I chose the Indian Lakes apartments that are owned by the same company. The apartments are almost exactly the same in both complexes. They are also about the same distance from school, but Indian Lakes is right next to the mall, any restaurant you want, sam's club, walmart, etc.

Hurwich Farms is in a much quiter part of town though, and it is right next to a Meijer.

PM me if you want more details.

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:08 pm

cheesus wrote:
clint4law wrote:Anyone hear anything good or bad about Hurwich Farms?
I looked at them when I looked for apartments last month, but I chose the Indian Lakes apartments that are owned by the same company. The apartments are almost exactly the same in both complexes. They are also about the same distance from school, but Indian Lakes is right next to the mall, any restaurant you want, sam's club, walmart, etc.

Hurwich Farms is in a much quiter part of town though, and it is right next to a Meijer.

PM me if you want more details.
Thanks I just PM'd you.

tomwelling

New

Post by tomwelling » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:39 pm

theantiscalia wrote:To all the current NDLS students...

I can't believe I'm five weeks out and don't know how this works, but are 1Ls assigned to sections? How big are first year classes?

There aren't sections; not really sure exactly how classes are assigned, but it is pretty random. You will end up having some people in all your classes and never have a class with others. 1L classes have either 90 or 60 people in them (give or take a couple) depending on whether there are 2 or 3 professors teaching the course. It looks like first semester Criminal Law and Contracts will have just two sections of 90ish and Torts will have 3 sections of around 60 for you guys.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NDFI

New

Post by NDFI » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:01 pm

I lived in Hurwich Farms 1L and 2L year. I really liked it and had no problems. It's a little bit of a drive (5-10 minutes), but was often welcomed as time to unwind after a long day.

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:10 pm

Can anyone tell me about Clover Village apartments? Is it worth giving up my place on-campus to live there?

tomwelling

New

Post by tomwelling » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:58 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:Can anyone tell me about Clover Village apartments? Is it worth giving up my place on-campus to live there?
It depends. You will pay a little more money, have a little farther walk to the law school (though not a lot farther- around a tenth of a mile more, depending on where you are in each complex), and have to move in furniture to your apartment. On the other hand, you can live by yourself if you choose and will have more space, both of which can be very nice. A lot of 1Ls last year lived in/hung out in FOG, which you would have to walk to; however, you will be right next to Mulligan's, the unofficial law school bar.

People that lived in FOG last year generally liked it, but most of the people in Clover Village seemed to as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”