Notre Dame Fightin Irish Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
fulkersonr1

Bronze

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Post by fulkersonr1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:02 am

rocross1 wrote:
Kingm wrote:
rocross1 wrote:king just chill. I am not sure its gonna be Kelly but I hope it is, because he is a baller. Yes on the surface it might look like he can't do much for ND's defense because cincinnati isn't that great. However, that is just wrong. Cincinnati lost ten defensive starters last year and they still went undefeated, I mean c'mon man that is impressive. Not to mention he is playing with recruits that were most likely rejects from Ohio State and ND amongst other schools, and now he is in a BCS game and coach of the year. If Kelly comes to ND he is the kind of coach that will turn things around quickly and restore ND to its rightful place. In a short time he has created a culture of football at Cinci and brought them to the top, imagine what he can do at ND.
Well, I'm almost certain it will be Kelly. (This talk of Randy Edsall is laughable). Anyway, you're right that Cincy went undefeated, but they did it by outscoring everyone, not by stopping anyone. In fact, they gave up 40something points to a pathetic Illinois team. That's not impressive. And as recent college football champions should tell you- (Florida, LSU, Florida, Texas) it's defense that wins championships. Scoring points hasn't been a problem under Weis and look where that got us. As for your argument about Kelly winning with Cincy recruits so "imagine what he can do at ND"- that sounds eerily familiar to four years ago when Weis was winning with Willingham's weak recruits. Everyone imagined then what Weis could do with his own recruits, and what did he do? 21 losses in 3 years. So, I'm not saying I'm anti-Kelly or anything (in fact, I'm as optimistic as anyone) but I am leary about his lack of a defesive presence, which you seem to have overlooked.
Im not overlooking defense, my point is he lost 10 of his 11 defensive starters and still went undefeated. Give him a chance to get his defense together and it will be much better. As for winning championships he has won the big east championship and two D2 championships. He is 171-57 as a head coach; he is proven unlike Weiss who wasn't a head coach. I agree I would rather have Meyer or Stoops but that just isn't happening so we've got to get excited about Kelly because out of our options he is the best, and it looks like he is it.

Where was Kelly before Cincy? He seems ok, but I didnt like how he went for a really long FG before the half against Pitt then went on a tirade when the kicker missed it. He told the reporter it was because the K should have told him it was out of range. It was like 50+ yards so the coach should know that was out of range and the K was just trying to perform. Not a lot of college players would tell a coach they can not do what is asked of them. Rocross what do you think of Harbaugh? You like him as a coach? Any chance despite denials he ends up at ND?

77to101

New

Post by 77to101 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:04 am

did you guys go to ND for UG? Am I the only one who reacts like :roll: when grad students talk about their grad school's football or basketball programs like they've been life-long fans? IMO only the UG students, UG alums, and family members of either of those two are allowed to feel like true fans. Root for your own UG school.

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:06 am

77to101 wrote:did you guys go to ND for UG? Am I the only one who reacts like :roll: when grad students talk about their grad school's football or basketball programs like they've been life-long fans? IMO only the UG students, UG alums, and family members of either of those two are allowed to feel like true fans. Root for your own UG school.
Well Ill fess up that I am neither a ND alum or lifelong fan. But I have no attachment to my undergrad either. Ive always been a big college football fan and its fun to be involved.

floppymex

Bronze

Post by floppymex » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:11 am

77to101 wrote:did you guys go to ND for UG? Am I the only one who reacts like :roll: when grad students talk about their grad school's football or basketball programs like they've been life-long fans? IMO only the UG students, UG alums, and family members of either of those two are allowed to feel like true fans. Root for your own UG school.
Could not disagree more.

A lot of school branding and prestige is derived from athletics. Look at the Top 25. Just about every school is either an Ivy or in a BCS conference. Anyway, as a sense of pride for belonging to an institution, by sheer numbers it is so much harder to be accepted into a school for grad studies then for UG. Based on that alone, grad students should be allowed to cheer and rock that school's colors (if they so chose to).

I am the Law

New

Post by I am the Law » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:18 am

My UG sucks at football, so I need to rely on my law school's team.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kingm

New

Post by Kingm » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:47 am

I am a lifelong ND fan and to address a few of the questions: Kelly was at Western Michigan before Cincy where he did win a MAC championship, and Grand Valley State before that where he won two D2 championships. In my opinion, I think the only reason Edsall is even being mentioned is leverage against Kelly. ND can't come off as too desperate or they'll end up paying Kelly more than they'd like. Does anyone seriously think Edsall could be coming to South Bend? doubt it. RoCross, I am impressed with his winning pedigree, but to be fair it's at the D2 level and in the Big East, perhaps the weakest major conference. (Just trying to play the devil's advocate). Also, regarding the Jim Harbaugh discussion, am I the only one who doesn't want him? We've got no room for former Wolvernines in South Bend. Besides, he comes off as a used car salesman to me. I miss the days when coaches were putting "Notre Dame clauses" in their contracts just to get a chance to coach here. (Good ole' Lou)

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:27 am

brose002 wrote:Though I have not received a decision yet, Notre Dame is my top choice law school, and I have a particular question that Im hoping someone can answer. I was looking into the graduate housing on-campus(O'Hara-Fischer), but could not find anything about furniture. Does anyone know or have a link to what furniture is included in the townhouses?

Its included. But only go to Fisher. Any one who lives in O'Hara ends up at the bottom of the class automatically.

http://nd.edu/~orlh/housing/graduate/oh ... html#FOG_6

brose002

Bronze

Post by brose002 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:49 am

Awesome. Thank you for the info, and for the advice.

rocross1

Bronze

Post by rocross1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:25 pm

I do cheer for my UG, but it is D2 and I am a life long ND fan- I grew up loving the Irish. King I agree that they are using Edsall as leverage, and I would be very disappointed if he got the job. Im not crazy about the Stanford coach either. Kelly is my pick, but I have heard some interesting rumors about Skip Holtz, Lou's son, from ECU and Butch Davis. I just hope the program gets back on track during the three years we are there, and I think Kelly will make that happen. I don't see a scenario where a head coach wins everywhere he goes and is an amazing coach then comes to ND with all the talented recruits and bombs. Aside from football Im just excited about ND. I read the entire booklet they sent and already have some bars and restaurants in mind, plus the Professors seem great and the students obviously like the school. I've been singing "and there's a magic in the sound of their name, here come the Irish of Notre Dame" since monday when I got in. The money is the only scary part.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:46 pm

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:54 pm

Foxsports.com has reported that Kelly will be next Notre Dame football coach! Reactions?

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:56 pm

rocross1

Bronze

Post by rocross1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:57 pm

[quote="fulkersonr1"]Foxsports.com has reported that Kelly will be next Notre Dame football coach! Reactions?[/quote]

Damn you beat me to it. No really I'm excited I think he is the right pick. I just wish we didn't have to wait a year for the games to start.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:01 pm

Yeah. Looks to be an easy schedule next year so should be able to improve right off the bat. I don't know if this was the best choice, but should certainly be an improvement over Weiss. Does anyone know about how Kelly has managed Cincy regarding academics, off field incidents, etc.? Being able to recruit players that can make grades, etc. will be important to succeed at Notre Dame.

rocross1

Bronze

Post by rocross1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:04 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:Yeah. Looks to be an easy schedule next year so should be able to improve right off the bat. I don't know if this was the best choice, but should certainly be an improvement over Weiss. Does anyone know about how Kelly has managed Cincy regarding academics, off field incidents, etc.? Being able to recruit players that can make grades, etc. will be important to succeed at Notre Dame.
He has a good rep, but I'm sure not up to ND standards. That said, if ND wants its reallity to match its expectations it probably needs to loosen the standards a little. Although we have had some great players with the standars in place, I just think to compete for a national title you can't have your cake and eat it too.

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:07 pm

rocross1 wrote:
fulkersonr1 wrote:Yeah. Looks to be an easy schedule next year so should be able to improve right off the bat. I don't know if this was the best choice, but should certainly be an improvement over Weiss. Does anyone know about how Kelly has managed Cincy regarding academics, off field incidents, etc.? Being able to recruit players that can make grades, etc. will be important to succeed at Notre Dame.
He has a good rep, but I'm sure not up to ND standards. That said, if ND wants its reallity to match its expectations it probably needs to loosen the standards a little. Although we have had some great players with the standars in place, I just think to compete for a national title you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I agree loosen the standards a little like say Michigan, but not like FSU or Miami.

BuffaloSabres137

New

Post by BuffaloSabres137 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:58 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:
rocross1 wrote:

I agree loosen the standards a little like say Michigan, but not like FSU or Miami.
First of all, you said it all by putting the word "little" in bold. Lowering the standards at all at ND is the same as dropping to the lowest level possible. Our standards are what set us apart from every other FBS team. Our standards are what make ND the most loved, hated, followed, and unique University in the nation. "We are Notre Dame..." that statement carries a lot of weight around here. For all of you who are not yet part of the Notre Dame family but plan on joining us very soon as law students, I hope you come to truly understand what those four words mean and I look forward to welcoming you in the fall.

At our football banquet last week senior captain Eric Olsen said "It takes a Notre Dame man to coach at Notre Dame." I could not agree more, and I hope Coach Kelly can step in and become a Notre Dame man.

As for the QB situation, DC is far more talented than you may know and he will be remembered as one of the all-time greats at ND. Unfortunately, he is sidelined until the fall. I did give a pep-talk to sophomore walk-on QB Matt Mulvey this past weekend though, and the kid is beyond excited to have the opportunity to help the team progress throughout spring practice. With Goodman and Mulvey running the show this spring we should be up to speed once Dayne returns in the fall.

Now to connect all of this back to law school... The law students are definitely a part of the Notre Dame family once they arrive on campus. Almost everyone buys season tickets for football (seriously, you need to be at every game) and they sit in the student section during football games so if you plan on coming here you better get ready to become a Fighting Irish fan. The tradition here at ND is unlike anything you will find anywhere else, and football is a big part of our culture (even for law students).

I hope you all are ready to witness our return to glory over the next three years... GO IRISH!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BuffaloSabres137

New

Post by BuffaloSabres137 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:06 am

Wow... I should have prefaced that last post with an introduction. My apologies.

I am a current ND senior who witnessed Quinn's last season as a freshman and I am now the University's Leprechaun mascot. Needless to say, I have seen my fair share of ups and downs when it comes to ND football. We went 10-3 freshman year, 3-9 (worst season in school history) sophomore year, 7-6 last year, and 6-6 this year. I had the time of my life in the student section inside ND stadium for three years (so buy season tickets if you come here!), and then I had the privilege and honor of representing the Fighting Irish on the field as the Leprechaun this year. It has been the best year of my life, and on top of it all I was recently accepted to NDLS! If all goes well with $ I will be attending in the fall.

I am looking forward to three more years at this magical place, and I am excited for all of you who will be joining the ND family for the first time.

2013 will be the first class to experience the newly renovated law school in its entirety for all 3 years of law school, and the first class to witness 3 straight BCS national championships haha

GO IRISH!

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:11 am

Notre Dame is not going to the BCS anytime soon. Having lived 3 miles away from Grand Valley St. where Kelly got his start, well the system is crazy. Next year will be a 5-6 win season and that is optimistic. Kelly needs massive amounts of receivers and a QB who is somewhat mobile (think Colt McCoy mobile). Kelly is not a defensive guru by any means but he will have the resources to find someone that can take care of that side of the ball. Next year will be ugly and rough, but still should be fun to watch how it plays out.

Kingm

New

Post by Kingm » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:36 pm

BuffaloSabres137 wrote:Wow... I should have prefaced that last post with an introduction. My apologies.

I am a current ND senior who witnessed Quinn's last season as a freshman and I am now the University's Leprechaun mascot. Needless to say, I have seen my fair share of ups and downs when it comes to ND football. We went 10-3 freshman year, 3-9 (worst season in school history) sophomore year, 7-6 last year, and 6-6 this year. I had the time of my life in the student section inside ND stadium for three years (so buy season tickets if you come here!), and then I had the privilege and honor of representing the Fighting Irish on the field as the Leprechaun this year. It has been the best year of my life, and on top of it all I was recently accepted to NDLS! If all goes well with $ I will be attending in the fall.

I am looking forward to three more years at this magical place, and I am excited for all of you who will be joining the ND family for the first time.

2013 will be the first class to experience the newly renovated law school in its entirety for all 3 years of law school, and the first class to witness 3 straight BCS national championships haha

GO IRISH!
You're really the mascot? I got to admit, that's pretty neat. I didn't realize I'd be attending law school with celebrities.

dantimreynolds

New

Post by dantimreynolds » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:01 pm

BuffaloSabres137 wrote:\ I am now the University's Leprechaun mascot.
There have been rumors around the law school that the Leprechaun was joining us next year...have to say thats one hell of a soft you've got there dude.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BuffaloSabres137

New

Post by BuffaloSabres137 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:36 pm

haha yeah it was a pretty good soft to put on my NDLS application... especially since I led the NDLS welcoming pep rally for the past two years as a way to introduce all of the 1Ls to our football tradition.

On a side note, I just took a break from writing my term papers so I could personally welcome coach Kelly to campus outside his office when he arrived. He seems like a very energetic and upbeat guy. WNDU and the Associate Press both interviewed me and asked why I felt it necessary to do this as a senior who won't get a chance to be here at the same time as Kelly. I told them that it was important to me as a representative of the Fighting Irish and a fan who cares about the future of our program... I also may have let it slip that I am hoping for 3 more years of Fighting Irish football as a NDLS student... I guess you could call that a verbal soft commit on my part? haha

Go Irish!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi!

I was accepted a few days ago and read the entire booklet they sent out. I was wondering a few things. I love the idea of community and the traditions of Notre Dame, but I was hoping someone who had more experience on the school could answer some questions for me.

I'm not Catholic, though have never had a problem being around people with different beliefs as me. I pretty much stand for every social cause Catholicism traditionally stands against, and I talked about that quite openly on my application.

I noticed a few professors the handbook described bring Catholicism into the classroom. How prevelant is this? Would I be out of place to raise questions or disagree?

I actually like the idea of being in an environment where there is a group of people with different beliefs than mine (I went to two really liberal undergrads, and political/ethical conversations sort of dead ended at, "So...yeah. Thats...what I think too. Exactly. *look left, look right* want to get a shot?")

Basically what I'm asking is how out of place I would be as a single, pro-choice, pro-gay marriage chick? I don't mean to imply that Notre Dame isn't tolerant of other beliefs at all, but more just how I might fit in.

kholmha

New

Post by kholmha » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:00 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Hi!

I was accepted a few days ago and read the entire booklet they sent out. I was wondering a few things. I love the idea of community and the traditions of Notre Dame, but I was hoping someone who had more experience on the school could answer some questions for me.

I'm not Catholic, though have never had a problem being around people with different beliefs as me. I pretty much stand for every social cause Catholicism traditionally stands against, and I talked about that quite openly on my application.

I noticed a few professors the handbook described bring Catholicism into the classroom. How prevelant is this? Would I be out of place to raise questions or disagree?

I actually like the idea of being in an environment where there is a group of people with different beliefs than mine (I went to two really liberal undergrads, and political/ethical conversations sort of dead ended at, "So...yeah. Thats...what I think too. Exactly. *look left, look right* want to get a shot?")

Basically what I'm asking is how out of place I would be as a single, pro-choice, pro-gay marriage chick? I don't mean to imply that Notre Dame isn't tolerant of other beliefs at all, but more just how I might fit in.
you won't be out of place at all. don't even worry about that. i haven't heard a single word about catholicism from any professors.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:02 pm

kholmha wrote: you won't be out of place at all. don't even worry about that. i haven't heard a single word about catholicism from any professors.
Thanks for answering!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”