NYU Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
neimanmarxist

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby neimanmarxist » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:49 pm

yeah, but 1) it's next to the school 2) i literally don't have time between finishing up at my current post and moving to find an apartment in manhattan 3) i don't have to pay a deposit or for summer. spouse and i are commuting between current residence and law school for career-related reasons, this is just the smallest of all potential headaches, though it's starting to become more painful than i thought it would be.

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:54 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:i literally don't have time between finishing up at my current post and moving to find an apartment in manhattan

I kinda ran into this, too, as this is my last week of work and I have to move across country. We went with a hotel through the end of the month and sign a lease starting Sep 1st, but the stress makes me sometimes wish I had an easier (even if not better) solution like the dorms.

yeff

Postby yeff » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:20 pm

angryseals wrote:
nycgaga wrote:I'm actually kind of annoyed that we can't get schedules or anything yet.

I would like to buy my books early so that I can shop online for lower prices. If we had our sections, we would be able to figure out what books were assigned for our section via the bookstore website. I could then shop on Amazon, etc., have everything I needed by the time classes started, and hopefully save a bit of cash over bookstore prices.

Agreed. Today was the last day I would've been able to buy books and had them shipped to me out here instead of waiting to buy them during orientation. Along with the strange housing policies, the immunization email, and that case file they never posted, I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into. Hopefully they're just no good with incoming students and we won't have to deal with these types of things all three years.

And they're not up on Albert yet, the books aren't listed on the bookstore website, and as far as we've heard, no sections have gotten emails from professors yet.

It is definitely annoying. I'm hoping/assuming it will work out to use Amazon Student's free two day shipping, though.

You can register with your .edu:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:30 pm

yeff wrote:
angryseals wrote:
nycgaga wrote:I'm actually kind of annoyed that we can't get schedules or anything yet.

I would like to buy my books early so that I can shop online for lower prices. If we had our sections, we would be able to figure out what books were assigned for our section via the bookstore website. I could then shop on Amazon, etc., have everything I needed by the time classes started, and hopefully save a bit of cash over bookstore prices.

Agreed. Today was the last day I would've been able to buy books and had them shipped to me out here instead of waiting to buy them during orientation. Along with the strange housing policies, the immunization email, and that case file they never posted, I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into. Hopefully they're just no good with incoming students and we won't have to deal with these types of things all three years.

And they're not up on Albert yet, the books aren't listed on the bookstore website, and as far as we've heard, no sections have gotten emails from professors yet.

It is definitely annoying. I'm hoping/assuming it will work out to use Amazon Student's free two day shipping, though.

You can register with your .edu:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Or overnight for only 3.99. Epic!

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:40 pm

Well-played, Yeff. Well-played.

Does anybody know if lockers are available for students who live off-campus?

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:46 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:Does anybody know if lockers are available for students who live off-campus?

Lockers will be assigned to those living off-campus.

runnerman

Postby runnerman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:58 pm

computer question - are there any 2Ls on here who have macs, or does anyone know what software NYU uses for exams? I've heard stories from other schools that have recently started allowing macs that the mac OS has more glitches with certain exam software than PCs do, including one who lost half of a final because of such a glitch :P

Are most of the rest of you coming in w/ pcs or macs?

forza

Postby forza » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:19 pm

runnerman wrote:computer question - are there any 2Ls on here who have macs, or does anyone know what software NYU uses for exams? I've heard stories from other schools that have recently started allowing macs that the mac OS has more glitches with certain exam software than PCs do, including one who lost half of a final because of such a glitch :P

Can't speak for everybody else, but I'll be using a PC. Though a lot of the 2Ls I've talked to use Macs, and I think NYU is pretty Mac-compatible.

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:38 pm

runnerman wrote:computer question - are there any 2Ls on here who have macs, or does anyone know what software NYU uses for exams? I've heard stories from other schools that have recently started allowing macs that the mac OS has more glitches with certain exam software than PCs do, including one who lost half of a final because of such a glitch :P

Apparently NYU uses SecureExam, so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues with Mac. Currently leaning towards buying a mac, but the idea of dropping about $1000 of my meager savings on anything is a bit upsetting, so I've been procrastinating. :oops:

For everybody having interent/NYU housing issues, that sucks :( Worst case scenario, maybe a broadband card could be useful? I found a comparison site if anyone's interested:http://www.mobile-broadband-reviews.com/broadband-card-comparison.html
Last edited by Sakura3210 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:42 pm

Don't know how to use PC's. Thusly, I will be using a mac.

runnerman

Postby runnerman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:46 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:

Apparently NYU uses SecureExam, so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues with Mac. Currently leaning towards buying a mac, but the idea of dropping about $1000 of my meager savings on anything is a bit upsetting, so I've been procrastinating. :oops:

Understandable, though after dropping 20k+ on tuition it seems like a drop in the bucket. And the $1050 deal for the 13 inch seems pretty decent (I was at the NYU computer store today and wasn't impressed with the Lenovo deal option). But yeah, I too have been procrastinating and was a bit worried when I went in today that they'd tell me they have to order it and it'd take a week. Not so, plenty in stock :)

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 am

My macbook comes in tomorrow. Can't wait. Thought UPS said "sometime between 8:00 AM and 7:00 PM" and I have to be here when it's delivered....

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:27 am

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Don't know how to use PC's. Thusly, I will be using a mac.

+1

runnerman

Postby runnerman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:34 am

Has anyone gotten business cards yet? I seem to recall we each get a mailbox to receive mail through NYU, does anyone know the address for that?

hesitantstyle

Postby hesitantstyle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:08 am

Schedules are up... Go!

runnerman

Postby runnerman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:37 am

hesitantstyle wrote:Schedules are up... Go!

awesome. thought I might be able to dodge having any friday classes, but have one in the afternoon. still, doesn't look awful

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:46 am

I can see my classes in NYU home but I can't see when they meet? Am I looking at the right page?
Can anyone tell what section/lawyering section they are in?

exciting!

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:47 am

neimanmarxist wrote:

I can see my classes in NYU home but I can't see when they meet? Am I looking at the right page?

exciting!

I have that problem, too. I see the courses in Albert, but only one of them is available.

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:53 am

legalnoeagle wrote:
neimanmarxist wrote:

exciting!

I have that problem, too. I see the courses in Albert, but only one of them is available.

The section number is the last number group before FA10 (it says 00#). Anyone else in section 2? And you can see when you meet by comparing it to this page https://its.law.nyu.edu/cms/public/sche ... &showall=1 which has the meeting times for all the classes in each section (again, the section number is at the end).

runnerman

Postby runnerman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:54 am

legalnoeagle wrote:
neimanmarxist wrote:

exciting!

when I go to Albert, I can see the course names, section, schedule, and professor...

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:58 am

mockstar wrote:
The section number is the last number group before FA10 (it says 00#). Anyone else in section 2? And you can see when you meet by comparing it to this page https://its.law.nyu.edu/cms/public/sche ... &showall=1 which has the meeting times for all the classes in each section (again, the section number is at the end).

section 5 i think

forza

Postby forza » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:00 am

mockstar wrote:The section number is the last number group before FA10 (it says 00#). Anyone else in section 2? And you can see when you meet by comparing it to this page https://its.law.nyu.edu/cms/public/sche ... &showall=1 which has the meeting times for all the classes in each section (again, the section number is at the end).

Section 2 here! To confirm: K's with Arthur Miller on MWR? :D

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:03 am

Section 1, and section 2 for Lawyering. Which means two Friday classes, but at least I'm free after 1050 on Wednesdays...

lsathalon

Postby lsathalon » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:04 am

Section 5, Section 14 for Lawyering. No super famous professors, but I'm sure they're still impressive :)

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:05 am

lsathalon wrote:Section 5, Section 15 for Lawyering. No super famous professors, but I'm sure they're still impressive :)

Yeah, jealous of the Section 4 people who get Epstein for Ks.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”