NYU Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
runnerman

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby runnerman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:04 am

Does NYU provide (read: charge as part of tuition and then "give") law students an unlimited ride subway card? I know a lot of urban undergrad schools do it to make money in cahoots w/ the transit authorities, and wondering if I should wait until they give us one, if they do, or go ahead and get one now...

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 am

runnerman wrote:Does NYU provide (read: charge as part of tuition and then "give") law students an unlimited ride subway card? I know a lot of urban undergrad schools do it to make money in cahoots w/ the transit authorities, and wondering if I should wait until they give us one, if they do, or go ahead and get one now...

They do not. I asked when I was there this summer. The metro fare cards are not reduced for college students, only the students in the NYC public school system.

angryseals

Postby angryseals » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:05 pm

I just spoke to Residential Life about a few questions I had, and I have an update on their internet policies for graduate housing:

We can only connect directly to the wall, no routers are allowed. We can only register two devices with which we will be allowed to access the internet. Those of us in married housing will not be allowed to increase the number of devices so that our spouses can access the internet- in fact, it sounds as if they don't want our spouses accessing the internet at all (of course, I'll just be giving my password to my spouse). I forgot to ask whether or not we will be able to simultaneously access the internet via two devices, but I have my doubts. Talk about an outdated policy.

nycgaga

Postby nycgaga » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:07 pm

I'm actually kind of annoyed that we can't get schedules or anything yet.

I would like to buy my books early so that I can shop online for lower prices. If we had our sections, we would be able to figure out what books were assigned for our section via the bookstore website. I could then shop on Amazon, etc., have everything I needed by the time classes started, and hopefully save a bit of cash over bookstore prices.

zanda

Postby zanda » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:11 pm

nycgaga wrote:I'm actually kind of annoyed that we can't get schedules or anything yet.

I would like to buy my books early so that I can shop online for lower prices. If we had our sections, we would be able to figure out what books were assigned for our section via the bookstore website. I could then shop on Amazon, etc., have everything I needed by the time classes started, and hopefully save a bit of cash over bookstore prices.

wow... we definitely had ours by this point last year. you've checked albert?

angryseals

Postby angryseals » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:17 pm

nycgaga wrote:I'm actually kind of annoyed that we can't get schedules or anything yet.

Agreed. Today was the last day I would've been able to buy books and had them shipped to me out here instead of waiting to buy them during orientation. Along with the strange housing policies, the immunization email, and that case file they never posted, I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into. Hopefully they're just no good with incoming students and we won't have to deal with these types of things all three years.

And they're not up on Albert yet, the books aren't listed on the bookstore website, and as far as we've heard, no sections have gotten emails from professors yet.

forza

Postby forza » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:19 pm

angryseals wrote:

Agreed. Today was the last day I would've been able to buy books and had them shipped to me out here instead of waiting to buy them during orientation. Along with the strange housing policies, the immunization email, and that case file they never posted, I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into. Hopefully they're just no good with incoming students and we won't have to deal with these types of things all three years.

And they're not up on Albert yet, the books aren't listed on the bookstore website, and as far as we've heard, no sections have gotten emails from professors yet.

Well, we fell to #6 for a reason, amirite??

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:24 pm

angryseals wrote:I just spoke to Residential Life about a few questions I had, and I have an update on their internet policies for graduate housing:

We can only connect directly to the wall, no routers are allowed. We can only register two devices with which we will be allowed to access the internet. Those of us in married housing will not be allowed to increase the number of devices so that our spouses can access the internet- in fact, it sounds as if they don't want our spouses accessing the internet at all (of course, I'll just be giving my password to my spouse). I forgot to ask whether or not we will be able to simultaneously access the internet via two devices, but I have my doubts. Talk about an outdated policy.

That's outrageous. My spouse is commuting and will be working from home on the days that they are in NYC with me. When you take into account that mrd. housing runs ~ $2500/mo that there's a) no wireless and b) a cap on how many people/devices can be online is just unconscionable.

Yeah, they can throw a "family day " and spam you with five thousand other things you don't want to know about but they won't let you do your job because it's some kind of trial for them to supply internet? :evil:

/rant

angryseals

Postby angryseals » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:33 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:
angryseals wrote:I just spoke to Residential Life about a few questions I had, and I have an update on their internet policies for graduate housing:

That's outrageous. My spouse is commuting and will be working from home on the days that they are in NYC with me. When you take into account that mrd. housing runs ~ $2500/mo that there's a) no wireless and b) a cap on how many people/devices can be online is just unconscionable.

Yeah, they can throw a "family day " and spam you with five thousand other things you don't want to know about but they won't let you do your job because it's some kind of trial for them to supply internet? :evil:

/rant

So I'm one of those annoying people that actually contacts businesses when they upset me. I'm thinking that we could probably wait a month or two so that we've had sufficient time to experience the annoying policy, and then get everyone to sign some sort of petition explaining that for what they're charging, we'll gladly move out of the neighborhood and use the internet as much as we like, thank you very much.

nycgaga

Postby nycgaga » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:35 pm

I actually did find earlier that the books actually are on the bookstore website, if you search by course. You need to know your section number though in order to actually purchase anything since they vary considerably by professor. The course numbers below are for 1Ls:

(Department, course, section #)
L03.2001.0x
L06.2001.0x
L08.2001.0x
L09.2001.0x

angryseals

Postby angryseals » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:44 pm

nycgaga wrote:I actually did find earlier that the books actually are on the bookstore website, if you search by course. You need to know your section number though in order to actually purchase anything since they vary considerably by professor. The course numbers below are for 1Ls:

L03.2001.0x
L06.2001.0x
L08.2001.0x
L09.2001.0x

Does anyone know how to find our sections yet? They must have assigned sections by now, given that we start orientation in 8 days.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:57 pm

angryseals wrote:
neimanmarxist wrote:

/rant

So I'm one of those annoying people that actually contacts businesses when they upset me. I'm thinking that we could probably wait a month or two so that we've had sufficient time to experience the annoying policy, and then get everyone to sign some sort of petition explaining that for what they're charging, we'll gladly move out of the neighborhood and use the internet as much as we like, thank you very much.

I'm actually really upset about this. We literally can't afford this policy because one of us won't be able to do our jobs as a result. I hope they make exceptions to this moronic limit because otherwise I am going to be kicking up some serious dust. Though if my dealings with NYU thus far have been any indication we won't have any luck with an appeal and kicking will ensue. As if moving to the most expensive place on God's green earth weren't difficult enough already. :evil: :evil: :evil:

angryseals

Postby angryseals » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:09 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:
angryseals wrote:
neimanmarxist wrote:

/rant

I'm actually really upset about this. We literally can't afford this policy because one of us won't be able to do our jobs as a result. I hope they make exceptions to this moronic limit because otherwise I am going to be kicking up some serious dust. Though if my dealings with NYU thus far have been any indication we won't have any luck with an appeal and kicking will ensue. As if moving to the most expensive place on God's green earth weren't difficult enough already. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm pretty upset, too. We're moving across the country, and my spouse is going to need a job because their student expense budget doesn't even come close to covering what they have us paying. Obviously they want us to split the rent, but how can they expect someone to get a job without accessing the internet?

Based on my conversation with reslife today, it doesn't sound like appealing will help. When I asked if they would consider making an exception so that my spouse can access the internet, he basically replied that spouses shouldn't be using the internet anyway because they only give out a username and password to the student, and the student signs something saying that only they will access the internet under that username.

Honestly, I was so split on what school to attend that I probably would have gone elsewhere if I had done enough research to know about this policy.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:14 pm

angryseals wrote:Based on my conversation with reslife today, it doesn't sound like appealing will help. When I asked if they would consider making an exception so that my spouse can access the internet, he basically replied that spouses shouldn't be using the internet anyway because they only give out a username and password to the student, and the student signs something saying that only they will access the internet under that username.

Honestly, I was so split on what school to attend that I probably would have gone elsewhere if I had done enough research to know about this policy.

you have got to be kidding me. there has to be a way around this. who the hell rents housing in which only one person can use the internet ? what is this ? the stone age? completely. enraged. I too would have thought twice about NYU knowing this kind of stuff. In fact if I had had the dealings I've been having with them now (this is just the tip of the iceberg) before I signed on, I would have picked somewhere else, too. Unbelievable. There has got. to be a way. around this.

teaadntoast

Postby teaadntoast » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:22 pm

Er, I think you misunderstood the guy?

You can register two devices. That's two (2) laptops.

Unless you plan to do all your studying in your room using two computers at all times, I'm not sure what the problem is?

And the policy is published in full on the school's ITS website, so I'm not sure how they can be accused of hiding this from you.
Last edited by teaadntoast on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Look on the bright side: At least they're having a family day..... :?

zanda

Postby zanda » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:25 pm

administrative side of things sucks. in my experience this is unlike the academic side.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:27 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Look on the bright side: At least they're having a family day..... :?

oh well then it's all good. :mrgreen:

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:30 pm

teaadntoast wrote:Er, I think you misunderstood the guy?

Unless you plan to do all your studying in your room using two computers at all times, I'm not sure what the problem is?

And the policy is published in full on the school's ITS website, so I'm not sure how they can be accused of hiding this from you.

the problem isn't whether the policy was hidden, it's that the policy is idiotic. Seriously some people use a desktop and a laptop- I know my spouse does to do their work and that this is oftentimes necessary given business travel and the limited power laptops have. You'd think that they would give people that are living with their families in NYU housing more than one login and a 2-computer allowance seeing as we are effectively paying double what singles pay and there's two bodies. usually the point of married student/family housing on campuses is to make life easier for non-trads, not to hinder them with ridiculous, cheap policies.

hopefullaw27

Postby hopefullaw27 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:38 pm

orientation reading has been sent out.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:55 pm

But by saying that only the student is given a username/password and that s/he's not supposed to share it, they make it sound like both of those devices are intended for the student to use, and neither for the spouse. What are we missing here? :? Do the computers just stay logged on as long as they're plugged into the connection, so the spouse wouldn't ever have to use the student's password?

angryseals

Postby angryseals » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:57 pm

What scares me is this:

All dorms, with the exception of Third North, have one data jack per person. In Third North, there is one jack per bedroom. Search for the jack behind any furniture that is against the walls, including beds, desks, wardrobes, etc.

Whenever they've mentioned one "person" in the past, they've always meant a licensee or a student, and my spouse is neither. I completely forgot to ask whether there will be two jacks in the room, but I have my doubts. I'm also hoping that I can be signed in simultaneously at two different locations.

As far as hiding it from me, that wasn't what I said at all. I just didn't think to look at the policy until a few weeks ago. It's definitely my fault that I missed this, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:00 pm

angryseals wrote:
nycgaga wrote:I actually did find earlier that the books actually are on the bookstore website, if you search by course. You need to know your section number though in order to actually purchase anything since they vary considerably by professor. The course numbers below are for 1Ls:

L03.2001.0x
L06.2001.0x
L08.2001.0x
L09.2001.0x

Does anyone know how to find our sections yet? They must have assigned sections by now, given that we start orientation in 8 days.

The email they just sent out this afternoon said that we would get our section assignments when we sign in on the 25th for Orientation. I guess that means they haven't assigned sections yet.

:|

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:23 pm

From this thread it seems I will not regret my decision to find a home in Park Slope/Williamsburg and commute. Although I am moving out and staying in a hotel for a week while the wife finds a place, so there's that stress...

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:45 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:

/rant

2500/month for a single? Holy Crap.
You can find decent 1BRs in Manhattan for that price (you can't be overly picky about things like doorman, view, etc., but still).

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”