NYU Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
BaiAilian2013

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:45 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:They also accept proof of immunization from your undergrad institution, if that's easier for anyone currently without a primary care doctor... I went into the health center today and turned mine in and it was a piece of cake.

YES. They should really say this on the form, because it's 1000x easier for ANY incoming graduate student. My husband kept telling me I should call and see if they'd accept my form from undergrad, and I ignored him because it sounded like such a feeble thing to ask - if they would allow that, surely they wouldn't have given such fierce and specific instructions about getting the form filled out yourself, with no mention of alternatives - but eventually I did and they were like if it has a doctor's signature, then sure!! Geez.

Forza, if they won't let you check in in the evening, I'm sure you can stay with one of us! :-)

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:41 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I got that e-mail also. I'm getting ready to go to a doctor, or whatever, to get him to verify the information and sign, then I'll fax it off.

I got it as well. I mailed my forms last Monday. When I sent an e-mail inquiry, they basically just said "our bad".

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:48 pm

spondee wrote:Also, I can't remember when we received our book assignments last year, but for my classes this year, the bookstore seems to have the list now. If you go to the bookstore's website and search for a book "by student," your books may show up as well.

I just tried this, and they're not available yet:

"Information is made available two weeks prior to term and updated 24 hours after registration."

So sounds like we will have to cut it close to have books by the first day of class.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:00 pm

Just got the email about orientation activities. I don't want to choose just one Saturday activity :| Right now leaning towards the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens of the things I haven't ever done before, but we'll see...

Also, neimanmarxist, I know someone in the NYU IT office; maybe I can get him to change your NetID.

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:13 pm

I signed up for the Entertainment/Sports/Media Practice Area Luncheon. I don't know that I will practice this area, but it's one I at least want to explore. Anyone else sign up yet?

Rock of Love

Postby Rock of Love » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:10 pm

big_blue79 wrote:I signed up for the Entertainment/Sports/Media Practice Area Luncheon. I don't know that I will practice this area, but it's one I at least want to explore. Anyone else sign up yet?

Me too! I'm getting so excited to move! That is...if I have a place to stay too...got that same health threatening email today and I mailed my doctors form 2 weeks ago :( I tried calling & emailing today but have received no response yet. I'm guessing they got swamped with frantic emails today.

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:26 pm

Is the consensus on the health e-mail "no biggie"? I hand delivered those forms, so I know they got them. Signed up for the Government Luncheon, and
BenJ wrote: I don't want to choose just one Saturday activity
- agreed. I was leaning towards the US Open event, but seeing as its "Kids Day" (Disney muscial acts, etc.), I'm not sure I'll enjoy myself :P . Hmmm...what about the rest of you guys?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:41 pm

What do you think they mean by 'self-guided tour'? Usually I would think that means they give you a map or something and turn you loose, but that doesn't sound like much of an orientation activity, much less something you'd need to register for. :?

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:14 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:What do you think they mean by 'self-guided tour'? Usually I would think that means they give you a map or something and turn you loose, but that doesn't sound like much of an orientation activity, much less something you'd need to register for. :?

Maybe they'll end up providing audio tours for those? It's the only thing I can think of that causes registration to make sense.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:33 am

BenJ wrote:Just got the email about orientation activities. I don't want to choose just one Saturday activity :| Right now leaning towards the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens of the things I haven't ever done before, but we'll see...

Also, neimanmarxist, I know someone in the NYU IT office; maybe I can get him to change your NetID.

Thanks BenJ, that's really nice of you. Truth be told, I have already spent a substantial amount of time on the phone with the IT people as well as the registrar re. my identity/NetID. They've assured me there is nothing they can do to change the net ID since it was automatically generated back when I had that name i never had and is somehow seared into the NYU mainframe forever... I have made my peace with my alternate self. We're sharing this law degree. :mrgreen:

I can't believe orientation is just a couple of weeks away! Who's excited?!

hopefullaw27

Postby hopefullaw27 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:14 am

On my bursar bill, there's a charge for 144 bucks for housing for Summer 2010. Are we being charged because of orientation? I never signed up for early move-in (at least prior to August 25th that is). If we are charged, that sorta blows...

Also, regarding fin-aid, the tuition bill that is due the 11th will be paid by our loans, correct? As in, assuming one filled out the requisite loan forms and accepted the award, etc, then the loan should be disbursed in time to pay for tuition, right?

Just got back from abroad, ton of stuff to do before the 25th...

forza

Postby forza » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:17 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Forza, if they won't let you check in in the evening, I'm sure you can stay with one of us! :-)

If it comes down to this, I will bake whoever puts me up a real southern pecan pie. Or clean your bathroom, or something.

Also - anyone else up for the 5.1 mile run around Central Park? :D

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:25 pm

DIBS ON HOUSING YOU

AND PIE

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:18 pm

forza wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Forza, if they won't let you check in in the evening, I'm sure you can stay with one of us! :-)

If it comes down to this, I will bake whoever puts me up a real southern pecan pie. Or clean your bathroom, or something.

That's a pretty short run for Central Park, actually. I wonder where you go.

runnerman

Postby runnerman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:32 pm

BenJ wrote:
forza wrote:

The full loop is 6, so I imagine they cut off the southern or northern most little loop.
I am definitely game for the run, though I agree w/ previous posters why doing a 1 hour max run excludes you from then participating in any of the other activities...

cahesu

Postby cahesu » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:51 pm

Looks like public interest and private international law were the first alumni events to fill up. I went with business/consulting/I-banking because I was curious about those graduates who have pursued careers outside of a normal legal practice.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:21 pm

runnerman wrote:
BenJ wrote:
forza wrote:

The full loop is 6, so I imagine they cut off the southern or northern most little loop.
I am definitely game for the run, though I agree w/ previous posters why doing a 1 hour max run excludes you from then participating in any of the other activities...

You could always join one of the self-guided things afterward. I think the one-per limit is intended to prevent people from multiple-enrolling in activities for which NYU is getting you a discount, like the Ellis Island tour.

Also, just found this out, the new Wilf Hall building across MacDougal from Vanderbilt Hall apparently opened today. It looks great!

zanda

Postby zanda » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:28 pm

cahesu wrote:Looks like public interest and private international law were the first alumni events to fill up. I went with business/consulting/I-banking because I was curious about those graduates who have pursued careers outside of a normal legal practice.

lol Last year I signed up for Litigation and the guy couldn't make it, so he sent a guy who did transactional work at his firm.

sikwitt

Postby sikwitt » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:13 pm

forza wrote:I move into D'Ag on the 19th, but my flight doesn't land until 7 PM. Trying to figure out if I can check in at night or if I'll be sleeping on a park bench that night.

I just got of the phone with housing. They you can move in anytime 24 hours a day after 8am on your approved move-in day. The only restriction is that the rolling move-in bins cannot be used after 11 pm.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:40 pm

Anyone had to deal with requesting an increase in the original loan amount you accepted? Some how I miscalculated and didn't accept enough. E-mailed them (as their website advised me to do) yesterday and no response, guess I'll call on Monday.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Anyone had to deal with requesting an increase in the original loan amount you accepted? Some how I miscalculated and didn't accept enough. E-mailed them (as their website advised me to do) yesterday and no response, guess I'll call on Monday.

would also be curious about this, as the last 24 hours or so have left me thinking, "Oh, I suppose I should actually buy a laptop."

sikwitt

Postby sikwitt » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:17 pm

clintonius wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:Anyone had to deal with requesting an increase in the original loan amount you accepted? Some how I miscalculated and didn't accept enough. E-mailed them (as their website advised me to do) yesterday and no response, guess I'll call on Monday.

would also be curious about this, as the last 24 hours or so have left me thinking, "Oh, I suppose I should actually buy a laptop."

Apparently you can do this whenever you want, including during the school year. You can get a designated amount for a laptop, but that can only be requested once school is in session.

forza

Postby forza » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:32 pm

sikwitt wrote:
forza wrote:I move into D'Ag on the 19th, but my flight doesn't land until 7 PM. Trying to figure out if I can check in at night or if I'll be sleeping on a park bench that night.

I just got of the phone with housing. They you can move in anytime 24 hours a day after 8am on your approved move-in day. The only restriction is that the rolling move-in bins cannot be used after 11 pm.

Hey thanks! Pecan pie for you sometime during the semester, for sure.

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:03 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:On my bursar bill, there's a charge for 144 bucks for housing for Summer 2010. Are we being charged because of orientation? I never signed up for early move-in (at least prior to August 25th that is). If we are charged, that sorta blows...

Yeah that's the cost of orientation housing. NYU seems to be a bit of a penny-pincher when it comes to that stuff...

hopefullaw27

Postby hopefullaw27 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 pm

fyi, i just called the financial aid office to inquire about an extension of the august 11th deadline (just got back from abroad, figuring out finances), and they said that the August 11th deadline is merely a suggested date for incoming students. We won't incur late fees until a September 1st deadline. Also, the loans have been disbursed according to the fin. aid officer

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”