NYU Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
angryseals

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby angryseals » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:25 am

So, instead of sleeping I decided to poke around on NYU's website, and I came across their ResNet policy which seems hopelessly outdated. We're not allowed any routers- wireless or otherwise! Maybe it's just because I'm 3 years removed from dorm rooms, but I've gotten kind of used to having more than one computer online at a time. We're also only allowed to register two computers. This is especially disappointing because I'm in married housing, and guessing that my spouse will want to get online from time to time over the next year. The requirement to register your computer also seems to rule out any possibility of using the online capabilities of a video game console (not that I plan on having any time to use one anyway).

Please tell me that there's something I'm missing?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:12 am

In my undergrad, we had to register computers, but I know of people who connected game consoles to the internet. Also, they probably allow more than two computers for family housing--something to ask IT about. The ResNet policy is probably written for undergrads.

Edit: Yeah, the main ResNet page lists only the undergrad dorms, no mention of Mercer or D'Ag or the smaller law ones. I assume we have a different set of rules.

Ayeshabelle

Postby Ayeshabelle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:21 pm

Has anyone decided what computers they are getting for law school? I love desktop computers with big screens ( the new 27 iMac is pure joy) but since we are required to have laptops, I'm worried that it would be redundant. Would it make sense to have a cheap laptop for glasshouse and exams and a sexy desktop for working at home, or should I just get a sexy laptop and make do with a minuscule screen?

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:41 pm

Ayeshabelle wrote:Has anyone decided what computers they are getting for law school? I love desktop computers with big screens ( the new 27 iMac is pure joy) but since we are required to have laptops, I'm worried that it would be redundant. Would it make sense to have a cheap laptop for glasshouse and exams and a sexy desktop for working at home, or should I just get a sexy laptop and make do with a minuscule screen?

What about the sexy laptop + a large monitor for home use?
As for what I'm getting, I think I'm going the Macbook Pro route (prob 13').

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm getting the Macbook pro 15'', I'd love to have a desktop but I would hate having to deal with moving it (coming from Texas).

fahd.reyaz

Postby fahd.reyaz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:15 pm

Sent in my final intention to enroll document but NYU didn't get it per my call today. Does anyone where it is online? It is not in the 1L enrolling documents section.

hopefullaw27

Postby hopefullaw27 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:27 pm

When are final notices due?

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:31 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:When are final notices due?

August 4th.

fahd.reyaz wrote:Sent in my final intention to enroll document but NYU didn't get it per my call today. Does anyone where it is online? It is not in the 1L enrolling documents section.

Is it online? I haven't heard anything of it being so...

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:32 pm

Ayeshabelle wrote:Has anyone decided what computers they are getting for law school? I love desktop computers with big screens ( the new 27 iMac is pure joy) but since we are required to have laptops, I'm worried that it would be redundant. Would it make sense to have a cheap laptop for glasshouse and exams and a sexy desktop for working at home, or should I just get a sexy laptop and make do with a minuscule screen?

I got a tiny netbook because I'm feeble and then a regular laptop for home + exams because the netbook is pretty feeble too. It's a Dell Inspiron 1010, I think. (My husband has convinced me that Dell are not the company they used to be, but we got a killer warranty anyway.) For me it's almost a plus to my productivity that it doesn't approve of me tabbing manically through eight different windows without actually pausing to do work in any of them, but I can see it getting annoying if you wanted to use it for much more than note-taking and such - hence the "real" laptop at home.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:32 am

Hey, did anyone else notice that the orientation schedule is online?

http://law.nyu.edu/ecm_dlv2/groups/publ ... 066153.pdf

It looks like instead of a scavenger hunt they have a bunch of cool optional activities to get to know NYC that look like fun.

This looks like a pretty good schedule...it seems like there is a reasonable amount of time for getting to know people, something I know last year's class complained about not having.

Who else is excited?

fahd.reyaz

Postby fahd.reyaz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:20 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:
hopefullaw27 wrote:When are final notices due?

August 4th.

fahd.reyaz wrote:Sent in my final intention to enroll document but NYU didn't get it per my call today. Does anyone where it is online? It is not in the 1L enrolling documents section.

Is it online? I haven't heard anything of it being so...

Found it--it is on the admitted students website inside the "enrolling at nyu" link. The penultimate checklist box i think.

Ayeshabelle

Postby Ayeshabelle » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:56 am

Orientation looks good. Btw, it may already be obvious, but the tenement museum is not for anyone even mildly claustrophobic. Tenements were crazy small.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:19 am

Picked up my NYU ID this morning; I am now officially an NYU student! Anyone in the city, the ID office is at 383 Lafayette, and they're open 9-6 (10-5 on Fridays), so you can pick up your ID before orientation.

WrappedUpInBooks

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:00 pm

BenJ wrote:Picked up my NYU ID this morning; I am now officially an NYU student! Anyone in the city, the ID office is at 383 Lafayette, and they're open 9-6 (10-5 on Fridays), so you can pick up your ID before orientation.

Thanks! I was hoping we would be able to do this.

I was told we get into all the big museums for free (Met, MoMA, etc), anyone know if this is true? My roommate goes to grad school at Columbia and it's definitely true for them.

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:28 pm

BenJ wrote:Picked up my NYU ID this morning; I am now officially an NYU student! Anyone in the city, the ID office is at 383 Lafayette, and they're open 9-6 (10-5 on Fridays), so you can pick up your ID before orientation.

Ugh, I was just in the area this morning, had no idea i could've done this too :( Is it just a card, or are they putting our photo on them?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:18 pm

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:
Thanks! I was hoping we would be able to do this.

I was told we get into all the big museums for free (Met, MoMA, etc), anyone know if this is true? My roommate goes to grad school at Columbia and it's definitely true for them.
Most places at least have student prices. Also, the Met and the MNH are both "suggested donation," so even without a student card you can donate a dollar and get in if you're strapped.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:22 am

Sakura3210 wrote:

Ugh, I was just in the area this morning, had no idea i could've done this too :( Is it just a card, or are they putting our photo on them?

They do take your picture. There's a huge photo that takes up about half the card.

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:40 am

BenJ wrote:
Sakura3210 wrote:

They do take your picture. There's a huge photo that takes up about half the card.

Ah, then I feel better, as I was looking far from my best earlier. :lol:

asaunde2

Postby asaunde2 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:27 am

Hey guys, NYU 2L here. Don't get gouged by the bookstore- buy your casebooks from me instead! I've got Civ Pro (Miller, Hershkoff, et. al), Contracts (Barnett), and Torts (Epstein) in great condition! Some of you will definitely need these, so PM me once you know your classes.

Also, the scavenger hunt was not nearly as fun as it sounds. It was like an Iphone competition in the blazing heat. The smart teams were the ones that quit early and went to get a beer.

jersey09

Postby jersey09 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:51 pm

hey guys! i had a question about loan disbursement. i accepted all my loans on netpartner and everything. will the loans be disbursed and credited to my bill by the aug 11 deadline? does anyone know how long it takes for loans to be disbursed?

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:07 pm

jersey09 wrote:hey guys! i had a question about loan disbursement. i accepted all my loans on netpartner and everything. will the loans be disbursed and credited to my bill by the aug 11 deadline? does anyone know how long it takes for loans to be disbursed?

Ditto on this. Anyone know?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:29 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:
jersey09 wrote:hey guys! i had a question about loan disbursement. i accepted all my loans on netpartner and everything. will the loans be disbursed and credited to my bill by the aug 11 deadline? does anyone know how long it takes for loans to be disbursed?

All I know is that they said to accept your loans by the end of July to ensure a timely disbursement of the funds...

hesitantstyle

Postby hesitantstyle » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:33 pm

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:
sikwitt wrote:
Sakura3210 wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Do we have a book list yet?

All I've seen is a "suggested reading" list.

Where did you see that?

http://law.nyu.edu/ecm_dlv3/groups/publ ... 066126.pdf

I think we get our book list with our schedule on the first day?

Billy Budd & A Man for All Seasons are both outstanding.

red_sox

Postby red_sox » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:17 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Sakura3210 wrote:

All I know is that they said to accept your loans by the end of July to ensure a timely disbursement of the funds...

You're not going to get cash in your bank account until around the beginning of semester, if I remember correctly. They will, however, pay themselves tuition from your loan before then.

EDIT: just checked my account from last year - it looks like the loan money was disbursed on Aug. 18. Make sure you have your direct deposit instructions set up as this will get you the money quicker

sikwitt

Postby sikwitt » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:16 am

red_sox wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
Sakura3210 wrote:

You're not going to get cash in your bank account until around the beginning of semester, if I remember correctly. They will, however, pay themselves tuition from your loan before then.

EDIT: just checked my account from last year - it looks like the loan money was disbursed on Aug. 18. Make sure you have your direct deposit instructions set up as this will get you the money quicker

I talked to Financial Aid earlier this week about this. They said we'll usually see the money in our accounts by the 2nd week of september.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”