NYU Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
kumba84

Bronze

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Post by kumba84 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:32 am

Got the email about the loan process yesterday, but I'm still waiting on the health requirement information from the health office that the May packet said would arrive in early June. Did anyone receive that yet?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:07 am

kumba84 wrote:Got the email about the loan process yesterday, but I'm still waiting on the health requirement information from the health office that the May packet said would arrive in early June. Did anyone receive that yet?
I haven't.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:41 pm

BenJ wrote:
kumba84 wrote:Got the email about the loan process yesterday, but I'm still waiting on the health requirement information from the health office that the May packet said would arrive in early June. Did anyone receive that yet?
I haven't.
Same here.

Ayeshabelle

New

Post by Ayeshabelle » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:01 pm

Well the location depends on what you all want to do. If you can narrow the choices down by listing things/places you like or don't like, I can name a few places. Is anyone a fan of Asian-style kareoke? That means private (semi) soundproofed rooms for those too shy to sing in front of masses of strangers. Alternatives include bars, coffee shops, billiards, restaraunts, lounges, parks, gay strip clubs, etc.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:20 pm

I think the idea was just a bar where we can get some drinks and hang out without having to shout over the din of DJ or deafening jukebox. My knowledge is limited, though I do know of a place that might work if y'all are ok with downtown Brooklyn. At least when I went on a Saturday night it was quiet and nearly deserted. Also great music, just not that loud. Plus they have BYOgrillables and a grill outside, so we can snag burgers, hot dogs, various veggies, etc. and have a cookout with our drink of choice.

Um, damn. On further investigation, I've found Yelp reviewers saying that the place occasionally has DJs, and "the music can become loud in a way that challenges conversation." Guess I caught them on an off night. Ayeshabelle probably has much better ideas.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:37 pm

clintonius wrote:I think the idea was just a bar where we can get some drinks and hang out without having to shout over the din of DJ or deafening jukebox. My knowledge is limited, though I do know of a place that might work if y'all are ok with downtown Brooklyn. At least when I went on a Saturday night it was quiet and nearly deserted. Also great music, just not that loud. Plus they have BYOgrillables and a grill outside, so we can snag burgers, hot dogs, various veggies, etc. and have a cookout with our drink of choice.

Um, damn. On further investigation, I've found Yelp reviewers saying that the place occasionally has DJs, and "the music can become loud in a way that challenges conversation." Guess I caught them on an off night. Ayeshabelle probably has much better ideas.
That is the coolest thing in the entire world. Maybe they have a schedule so you can tell in advance if they're going to have a DJ?

But yeah I think the goal was affordable + not loud. Now ayeshabelle mentions it, I guess a coffee shop satisfies those requirements as well as a bar, although that might put a cramp in our networking. :wink:

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:04 pm

That is, of course, by my definition of networking (for those of you who didn't see it).

Their website seems to indicate that there's a DJ every Friday night, so that doesn't really work for our purposes. I went on a rare quiet Saturday, and we could maybe shoot for that at some other time.

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:07 pm

I really wish I weren't stuck out in the middle of nowhere all summer.

fahd.reyaz

New

Post by fahd.reyaz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:30 am

Hmm, who wants to play wiffleball in Washington Sq. park, or try to, this Saturday afternoon? I imagine with the construction going on we'll meet resistance from the parks dept., but we might be able to get a few innings in before they stop us. I'm not sure, I haven't tested them recently.

Otherwise the other options are fine--

f/R

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wildflower

New

Post by wildflower » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:07 am

I got my housing.. I'm living in a 3 bedroom on the 12th floor of mercer (that is if a 4 digit number beginning with 12 corresponds to the 12th floor..)
I'm so excited! Even though every source written and in person tells me to be very scared of 1L, and I do get worked up at times, I have this undying optimism that its gonna be so much fun.

Ayeshabelle

New

Post by Ayeshabelle » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:18 am

wildflower wrote:
I'm so excited! Even though every source written and in person tells me to be very scared of 1L, and I do get worked up at times, I have this undying optimism that its gonna be so much fun.
I'm excited too. Laws really excite me (I even had a blast in 7th grade learning about Hammurabi's code). The reality of law school may eventually dampen this joy, but today I'm incredibly excited :-).

So it seems our parameters are bar (or suitable quiet alcohol-serving establishment) that is not too expensive. It's too bad that we can't do the grilling place because it sounds awesome. Maybe somewhere with annopen bar would work. I'll try to get back to you later today with a list of suitable places. It will be difficult to fond a really great place that is cheap and not crowded on a Friday night. A switch to maybe sunday (or Saturday for the grill place) might help.

What locations are we looking at? Does anyone want me to focus on places near nyu, or is all of manhattan alright? Is it okay to invclude downtown brooklyn or queens-near-manhattan (like Astoria)?

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:59 am

wildflower wrote: I'm so excited! Even though every source written and in person tells me to be very scared of 1L, and I do get worked up at times, I have this undying optimism that its gonna be so much fun.
I can't wait to start school. Counting down the days until August 25.

On an unrelated note, has anyone had any luck getting in contact with the NYU computer store? They never pick up and haven't responded to my e-mail.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:18 pm

Ayeshabelle wrote:So it seems our parameters are bar (or suitable quiet alcohol-serving establishment) that is not too expensive. It's too bad that we can't do the grilling place because it sounds awesome. Maybe somewhere with annopen bar would work. I'll try to get back to you later today with a list of suitable places. It will be difficult to fond a really great place that is cheap and not crowded on a Friday night. A switch to maybe sunday (or Saturday for the grill place) might help.

What locations are we looking at? Does anyone want me to focus on places near nyu, or is all of manhattan alright? Is it okay to invclude downtown brooklyn or queens-near-manhattan (like Astoria)?
I'm fine going wherever. I might not be able to make it Saturday, but don't let that stop you from meeting up if that works for most people -- we'll be doing several of these if I have anything to say about it. Actually, there is no DJ listed for Saturday the 26th at the bar I was talking about (which is called Last Exit, on Atlantic Ave and Clinton in Cobble Hill/Downtown BK).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cboo

New

Post by cboo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:10 pm

So, when I went to visit I didn't look at the housing because I thought there was a 0% chance of me living on campus. I picked D'Ag over Mercer because it was cheaper, but it seems like lots of people went with Mercer. Is it that much nicer?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:29 pm

cboo wrote:So, when I went to visit I didn't look at the housing because I thought there was a 0% chance of me living on campus. I picked D'Ag over Mercer because it was cheaper, but it seems like lots of people went with Mercer. Is it that much nicer?
I could barely see a difference.

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:34 pm

cboo wrote:So, when I went to visit I didn't look at the housing because I thought there was a 0% chance of me living on campus. I picked D'Ag over Mercer because it was cheaper, but it seems like lots of people went with Mercer. Is it that much nicer?
I think it's mostly that the rooms are bigger.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:43 pm

Tautology wrote:
I think it's mostly that the rooms are bigger.
Yeah, rooms in Mercer are larger than D'Ag.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barouche

New

Post by Barouche » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:02 am

On an unrelated note, has anyone had any luck getting in contact with the NYU computer store? They never pick up and haven't responded to my e-mail.
Really? I called them and they picked up immediately and were really helpful.

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:06 am

Barouche wrote:
Really? I called them and they picked up immediately and were really helpful.
I suppose I will keep calling then.

fahd.reyaz

New

Post by fahd.reyaz » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:57 am

--Lovely day out, sure there are no takers for W. Sq. Park?

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:41 pm

If you got D'Ag and want Mercer, I know someone who was assigned to Mercer who wanted D'Ag who might be willing to switch.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sakura3210

Bronze

Post by Sakura3210 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:34 pm

Alright, so 1. I have yet to get any loan info stuff. Has everyone else already gotten theirs?
2. Looking on yelp I found the following:--LinkRemoved--
Seems like it could be a good place. Anyone been there/have an opinion?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:49 pm

I have not gotten loan info yet, either.

And Swift looks like a decent enough place. I've been to Ulysses', which is down in the financial district and owned by the same people, and I like it. Objections? What time do we want to meet up? I'm off work at 5:30 and can show up around 6 or so.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:29 pm

^^I think that sounds great! Meeting around 6 sounds like a good idea too, since it sounds as though it fills up more as the evening wears on.

Sakura3210

Bronze

Post by Sakura3210 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:47 pm

clintonius wrote:I have not gotten loan info yet, either.

And Swift looks like a decent enough place. I've been to Ulysses', which is down in the financial district and owned by the same people, and I like it. Objections? What time do we want to meet up? I'm off work at 5:30 and can show up around 6 or so.
BaiAilian2013 wrote:^^I think that sounds great! Meeting around 6 sounds like a good idea too, since it sounds as though it fills up more as the evening wears on.
Sweet! So Swift at 6 on the 25th?
:shock: It rhymes...must be fate :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”