NYU Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
superberry

New

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Post by superberry » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:38 pm

Last edited by superberry on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:45 pm

Apparently it takes them 1-2 weeks to process requests for a change in your loan amount. -_-

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:36 am

any suggestions on what bank i should open a checking account with in nyc? my current one isn't readily available on each corner in nyc like Chase. On the other hand, I'm looking to avoid monthly fees and what not and also avoid a minimum balance. Bank of America has an option where I avoid fees if all of my transactions are paperless (and if I don't go to a teller), which is a far cry from my current bank. Apparently they have discontinued their student checking account. Any other suggestions?

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:31 pm

Chase doesn't really have any hidden fees that I'm aware of except the standards, like overdraft. But every bank has those. We have been with chase for a few years and like it quite a lot . The only drawback is if you are often in the DC area they have (in my view) very little presence there.

Sakura3210

Bronze

Post by Sakura3210 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:48 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:any suggestions on what bank i should open a checking account with in nyc? my current one isn't readily available on each corner in nyc like Chase. On the other hand, I'm looking to avoid monthly fees and what not and also avoid a minimum balance. Bank of America has an option where I avoid fees if all of my transactions are paperless (and if I don't go to a teller), which is a far cry from my current bank. Apparently they have discontinued their student checking account. Any other suggestions?
Seeing as you're going to be a student, Chase might let you open a student account which has no minimum balance requirement, so no fee even if you have $0 in your account (plus, I think they're offering $50 right now if you open a student account w/them). Caveat though, while I did it for college, I'm not sure if they offer it to grad students. Call them and see.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

asaunde2

New

Post by asaunde2 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Hey guys, I'm gonna post one more gratuitous self serving message here about my casebooks that I am selling, cause I noticed some of you asking about buying online, etc. I have: CivPro (Miller, Friedenthal, Hershkoff, Sexton), Contracts (barnett), and Torts (Epstein), all latest editions, the first two in brand new condition with no highlighting. I also have E&E supplements for each class. WAY cheaper than the bookstore...

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:10 am

hopefullaw27 wrote:any suggestions on what bank i should open a checking account with in nyc? my current one isn't readily available on each corner in nyc like Chase. On the other hand, I'm looking to avoid monthly fees and what not and also avoid a minimum balance. Bank of America has an option where I avoid fees if all of my transactions are paperless (and if I don't go to a teller), which is a far cry from my current bank. Apparently they have discontinued their student checking account. Any other suggestions?
I opened up a "CampusEdge" account with Bank of America a couple weeks ago when I was in New York. It's not as ubiquitous as Chase or Citibank (in terms of ATMs) in NYC, but I was also thinking about how huge the bank is elsewhere (it has a monster presence back home in KC, etc). BoA does have ATMs two minutes away from school on Bleecker and a branch location in SoHo off Broadway I think.

So far I can tell you that there are no fees for the student account, no minimum balance requirement, and they have some weird (but awesome) "Keep the Change" policy that I don't fully understand. Basically it adds change to your savings account when you make purchases, so somehow I'm up to like $2.73. Every little bit helps.

You can't really go wrong with Chase, Citi, or BoA from what I can gather. Just depends what exactly you're looking for.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:27 pm

forza wrote:they have some weird (but awesome) "Keep the Change" policy that I don't fully understand. Basically it adds change to your savings account when you make purchases, so somehow I'm up to like $2.73. Every little bit helps.
This particular feature has made me seriously consider switching to BofA from Chase. Every time you make a purchase with your debit card, it automatically rounds up to the next dollar and deposits the difference in a savings account. It's pretty awesome.

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:38 pm

thanks a bunch for the suggestions. i went with wachovia, which I know is sorta obscure, but there's one 10 min walking from the law school and there are a lot near my home. I may consider switching to Chase later, assuming that as a grad student we still qualify for the college checking account. also, the BoA student checking account feature was discontinued as of August 8th, or else I definitely would have gone with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:05 pm

forza wrote:
I opened up a "CampusEdge" account with Bank of America a couple weeks ago when I was in New York. It's not as ubiquitous as Chase or Citibank (in terms of ATMs) in NYC, but I was also thinking about how huge the bank is elsewhere (it has a monster presence back home in KC, etc). BoA does have ATMs two minutes away from school on Bleecker and a branch location in SoHo off Broadway I think.

So far I can tell you that there are no fees for the student account, no minimum balance requirement, and they have some weird (but awesome) "Keep the Change" policy that I don't fully understand. Basically it adds change to your savings account when you make purchases, so somehow I'm up to like $2.73. Every little bit helps.

You can't really go wrong with Chase, Citi, or BoA from what I can gather. Just depends what exactly you're looking for.

BoA also has a branch office in Sheridan Square, which I think is closer than the SoHo one.

WrappedUpInBooks

Bronze

Post by WrappedUpInBooks » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:08 pm

I live in New York and have BOA, there are ATMs everywhere, including a couple blocks from NYU. I rarely have problems finding one.

angryseals

New

Post by angryseals » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:22 pm

So I've been thinking. If professors can assign us homework as early as today, that means we've all been assigned sections, and the sections have all been assigned classes. So why hide that from us? I can understand not posting books until two weeks before because books can change. But if they're sure enough about the schedule to assign us homework, they should be sure enough about it to tell us what classes we have now. I wonder why they don't?

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:28 pm

remember how they said that they were going to post a case for us to read? Did they ever do that?
angryseals wrote:If professors can assign us homework as early as today, that means we've all been assigned sections, and the sections have all been assigned classes.
is your knowledge that profs can assign homework coming from the fact that homework has been assigned? Did I miss an email?

in this post, I out myself as the clueless one .

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mockstar

New

Post by mockstar » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:00 pm

angryseals wrote:So I've been thinking. If professors can assign us homework as early as today, that means we've all been assigned sections, and the sections have all been assigned classes. So why hide that from us? I can understand not posting books until two weeks before because books can change. But if they're sure enough about the schedule to assign us homework, they should be sure enough about it to tell us what classes we have now. I wonder why they don't?
Have we gotten any of our stuff when they said they would? Not to be a Negative Ned, but I don't think so...
As for which sections are assigned which classes, if you have a bit of time you can figure that out. If you go to the schedule of 1L classes for Fall 2010, each class number ends in a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5, corresponding to the section. You obviously can't know which section you're in, but you can figure out which sections have which times/professors/classes (with regard to CrimLaw/Torts at least) and stuff. I'm such a nerd...
Can't figure out anything else yet though. I've been checking the Early Assignment page religiously, and there's been nothing yet for 1L courses.

mockstar

New

Post by mockstar » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:01 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:remember how they said that they were going to post a case for us to read? Did they ever do that?
angryseals wrote:If professors can assign us homework as early as today, that means we've all been assigned sections, and the sections have all been assigned classes.
is your knowledge that profs can assign homework coming from the fact that homework has been assigned? Did I miss an email?

in this post, I out myself as the clueless one .
In one of the e-mails or something we got it said that assignments will be posted around 8/14.

mockstar

New

Post by mockstar » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:20 pm

Actually, I hate to post 3 times in a row, but I did a little more snooping, and I was looking at my course schedule on ALBERT. At first glance, it just said "First Year Courses." Boring. But then I looked at my Course ID and it said this: L01.-9001-001. All the section 1 courses end in 001, so might I be in section 1? Maybe I am being presumptuous and they all end in 001 and that number is meaningless. What does everybody else's Course IDs say?

cboo

New

Post by cboo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:36 pm

mockstar wrote:Actually, I hate to post 3 times in a row, but I did a little more snooping, and I was looking at my course schedule on ALBERT. At first glance, it just said "First Year Courses." Boring. But then I looked at my Course ID and it said this: L01.-9001-001. All the section 1 courses end in 001, so might I be in section 1? Maybe I am being presumptuous and they all end in 001 and that number is meaningless. What does everybody else's Course IDs say?

Mine says the same. L01.-9001-001.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:39 pm

same course id and stuff

angryseals

New

Post by angryseals » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:41 pm

My course ID is the same. I would be interested to know if anyone else's is different, though.

Wouldugo

New

Post by Wouldugo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:44 pm

Sorry if this is common knowledge or has been answered before, but does NYU have a Facebook network specifically for the law school? I tried to join, but could only find "graduate students" (I'm new to Facebook). Thanks!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:17 am

Wouldugo wrote:Sorry if this is common knowledge or has been answered before, but does NYU have a Facebook network specifically for the law school? I tried to join, but could only find "graduate students" (I'm new to Facebook). Thanks!
c/o 2013 page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4 ... 524&ref=ts

Law school page: http://www.facebook.com/nyulaw?ref=ts

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mockstar

New

Post by mockstar » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:26 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
Wouldugo wrote:Sorry if this is common knowledge or has been answered before, but does NYU have a Facebook network specifically for the law school? I tried to join, but could only find "graduate students" (I'm new to Facebook). Thanks!

As far as networks go, just join the regular old NYU network and then you can note on your page that you're a grad student and put your program (JD) and graduation year.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:51 pm

mockstar wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

As far as networks go, just join the regular old NYU network and then you can note on your page that you're a grad student and put your program (JD) and graduation year.
or join the post graduate network. Though I think the main one asks you a question that differentiates you anyway.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:46 pm

mockstar wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

I totally misread the original question. I should probably work on that before classes start, haha

Wouldugo

New

Post by Wouldugo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:20 am

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”