University of Minnesota 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
RahmE

New

Re: University of Minnesota 2013

Post by RahmE » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:59 pm

NJB09 wrote: Did anyone else notice the typo in the letter?

RahmE: did you go to SCSU?
Nope, but close. I'm a Johnnie, so my aversion to St. Thomas Law school had nothing, nothing (well okay, a little) to do with its rank.

And I didn't catch the typo. Shoot. I pride myself on being able to find that sort of thing.

Anyone else really racking their brain as to how to scrounge up cash for that seat deposit by Jan. 4? It will definitely take a chunk out of my pre-law-school-handcuffs traveling budget.

rogerlodge

New

Post by rogerlodge » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:25 pm

I live straight down Washington Ave. about 15 blocks from the law school (near where the new twins stadium is opening in 2010) in the warehouse district/north loop. Its a newish residential neighborhood and feels quite separated from the school. There are a ton of Lofts for rent over here and quite a few can be had on a student budget. A bunch of buses run down Washington straight to the law school about (10 minute ride), there are a bunch of coffee shops, bars and restaurants in the neighborhood as well as about 2-4 blocks away is 1st Ave/Hennepin which is where all the late night activity takes place downtown (bars, clubs, theaters, restaurants, etc). It is only a few blocks in the summer to the mississippi running trails and a quick walk over the hennepin ave bridge to North East/St. Anthony Main where there is even more to do and a grocery store. It is also where the light rail (LRT) runs line ends in MPLS (the last stop being at the new Target Field. The LRT is useful to take you to the Mall of America and to the airport both quickly and without having to deal with parking. Included in student transit pass.

Seward is an excellent area for Law students due to cheap rents and interest stuff as well as bus accessibility as well as not too far from a LRT stop. A few of my friends felt that have lived in Seward liked the nieghborhood, but felt seperated from the rest of the city.

Uptown, since it is so often recommended I will comment more - When I first moved to MPLS I really liked it here (I was 22) and now I'm 26 and don't like it very much. Take that for what you will. As a previous poster said there are kind of a lot of douchebags there. Good things - affordable, but mostly crappy housing. The tolerability of bars/restaurants increases drastically as you move East away from hennepin ave/lake st toward lyndale ave/Lake st. There is a small shopping area that includes north face, urban outfitters, american apparel and victorias secret on hennepin and lake st. Still uptown holds a few of my favorite places: The Lagoon/Uptown Theater (independent movie theater), Chino Latino (excellent restaurant/happy hour), and is in close proximity to lake calhoun which is fun to walk/run around/hang out at in the summer.

I'm tired of writing this, but Northeast minneapolis is also a pretty good place to live either near Hennepin and Central Ave. This is a very walkable area and is only across the mississippi from downtown. This would be my second choice of places to live outside of the warehouse district/North Loop.

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:52 pm

RahmE wrote:
NJB09 wrote: Did anyone else notice the typo in the letter?

RahmE: did you go to SCSU?
Nope, but close. I'm a Johnnie, so my aversion to St. Thomas law school had nothing, nothing (well okay, a little) to do with its rank.

And I didn't catch the typo. Shoot. I pride myself on being able to find that sort of thing.

Anyone else really racking their brain as to how to scrounge up cash for that seat deposit by Jan. 4? It will definitely take a chunk out of my pre-law-school-handcuffs traveling budget.
I just hit up my grandma for it yesterday...she came through as my final hope before turning to crime

RahmE

New

Post by RahmE » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:00 pm

Haha, nice. I might hit up those government bonds my grandparents used to give me for Christmas, when I was ten and didn't know what they were.

On the living side for next year, I'm hoping to live a lifestyle as close as possible to that in Animal House. I was an athlete undergrad and feel like I missed out. Any other takers for a UMN Delta House? I call Otter.

NJB09

New

Post by NJB09 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:37 am

RahmE wrote:Nope, but close. I'm a Johnnie, so my aversion to St. Thomas law school had nothing, nothing (well okay, a little) to do with its rank.

Nice. I graduated in August from Saint Cloud. I was on SCSU's ski team, we actually combined with St. John's before their club dissolved last year.

As for the typo...2nd paragraph, one of the sentences states "...the Minneapolis-St. Paul area will provide many opportunities for you to enhance you educational experience. I got a chuckle out of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:02 pm

In last week, RD. MN is one of my top choices. Wanted to mark this thread.

New

Post by 58103 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:13 pm

Anyone know what parking is like for off campus students at the law school? The parking at my undergrad is absolutely horrible.

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:31 pm

58103 wrote:Anyone know what parking is like for off campus students at the law school? The parking at my undergrad is absolutely horrible.

Parking will cost you $6-$15 per day depending on how long you are on campus, it really is in the "heart" of the city like the web page suggests. It is possible to find residential street parking, but it is a minimum 10 minute walk from the law school (great idea until mid November...unbearable in Jan-Feb). Bussing is usually a good option, and I've heard people car pool quite a bit which is probably nice.

New

Post by 58103 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:35 pm

Wow, thats.... expensive. Oh well, nothing like a good old walk in the -30 degree MN winter. :?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jenno

New

Post by Jenno » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:28 am

Hi Everyone,

I just got my Minnesota law acceptance letter. Trying to join the facebook account, but since im working in the China office, I cant access it. I went on the school's website and checked out the map of the camput --it looks huge! Does anyone know how to get around without a car? Are there any furniture stores around the area to buy things from for apartments?

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:42 am

Jenno wrote:Hi Everyone,

I just got my Minnesota law acceptance letter. Trying to join the facebook account, but since im working in the China office, I cant access it. I went on the school's website and checked out the map of the camput --it looks huge! Does anyone know how to get around without a car? Are there any furniture stores around the area to buy things from for apartments?

Welcome Jenno,

I am from MN and am finishing my undergrad work at UMN. I believe that area wise, the campus is one of the three largest in the nation, mostly because it is spread out between MPLS and St. Paul. Lucky for us we will never really have to venture out of the law building...but I recommend that you take a walk of the entire campus (sometime in the Fall is ideal) because it is beautiful.

I certainly know how to get around with a car. Do you have experience driving in snowy/icy conditions in a quasi-large city? You will.

Furniture stores are everywhere. There are some antique furniture shops in uptown, some high-end boutiques throughout DT and UT...and of course IKEA near MOA.

jc631

New

Post by jc631 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:11 pm

Does anyone have access to the admitted students website yet?

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:30 pm

I spoke to the dean and he said it would become available soon. They were updating and removing old info.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Also, tried to join the facebook group, but it says "no administrators left in this group"? Not sure what this means, but I don't think it's good.

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:10 pm

Yeah, FB group is slacking a bit...

Jenno

New

Post by Jenno » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:42 pm

faceman9000 wrote:
Jenno wrote:Hi Everyone,

Welcome Jenno,

I am from MN and am finishing my undergrad work at UMN. I believe that area wise, the campus is one of the three largest in the nation, mostly because it is spread out between MPLS and St. Paul. Lucky for us we will never really have to venture out of the law building...but I recommend that you take a walk of the entire campus (sometime in the Fall is ideal) because it is beautiful.

I certainly know how to get around with a car. Do you have experience driving in snowy/icy conditions in a quasi-large city? You will.

Furniture stores are everywhere. There are some antique furniture shops in uptown, some high-end boutiques throughout DT and UT...and of course IKEA near MOA.
Thank you for this information :)
I am ashamed to say that i dont have any experience driving --I'm orginally from New York City and never really found the time to learn how to drive. I read online there are rail systems in the area--I dont suppose they have any sort of light rails to get from one part of the campus to another? THe map on the law school website looks huge. I hope i dont get lost trying to get from one class to another...

Is anyone looking at the campus apartments? I'm thinking of living on campus the first semester or year just until i am more familiar with the area. The cost of an apartment there is around $3900 a semester. Is that a lot more expensive than renting a private apartment outside?

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Don't worry, the law school is not huge. At least not large enough to get lost 8) . There is only one building, you will not have any need to travel across campus for any reason...the library is also in the same building.

There is no light rail running through campus, it stops downtown. However, like I said, traveling around campus is not necessary.

$3900 sounds very expensive for an apartment around here. Is it a 5-6 bedroom?

I live in a studio apartment in Uptown, about 10 minutes from campus. It is small, but I pay $525/month, which is pretty typical for single-occupancy units just about anywhere in the city.

I recommend you visit the law school when the time comes, your concerns will be mitigated.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jenno

New

Post by Jenno » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:45 pm

faceman9000 wrote:Don't worry, the law school is not huge. At least not large enough to get lost 8) . There is only one building, you will not have any need to travel across campus for any reason...the library is also in the same building.

There is no light rail running through campus, it stops downtown. However, like I said, traveling around campus is not necessary.

$3900 sounds very expensive for an apartment around here. Is it a 5-6 bedroom?

I live in a studio apartment in Uptown, about 10 minutes from campus. It is small, but I pay $525/month, which is pretty typical for single-occupancy units just about anywhere in the city.

I recommend you visit the law school when the time comes, your concerns will be mitigated.
Thanks :) im just a typical worrier. And since i work abroad, visiting is harder, but i will try to make some travel time and see the place for myself.

Your're right...the campus apartments are a rip-off...hmm..

cindytran872

New

Post by cindytran872 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:59 pm

[...]
Last edited by cindytran872 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:20 pm

cindytran872 wrote:Does anyone know how much off-campus apartment housing is going to cost per month? Somewhere that is less than 2 blocks away...

Seems like on-campus housing is not an option for me since you have to cross the bridge and it's on the other side of campus...
You are not going to find many places that are less than two blocks away...there are really two apt. complexes within 1 block--the Grand Marc, and another one (the name escapes me right now).

The Grand Marc apartments look pretty nice, though I've never been inside. Google it?

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:22 am

Faceman - thanks for all the in-town insight!

The FB group is back up and you can get on the admitted students site by entering your contact email address as if you lost your password. I wrote one of the student ambassadors on the admit site and she wrote back w/in 24 hours. Wow! i didn't realize when I wrote that they were still in exams, yeet she still took the time to write me. MN is growing on this old man.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jenno

New

Post by Jenno » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:55 pm

Hi Faceman9000, is the Grand Marc near the law school buildings? Aside from on campus housing, what is the closest apartment complex to the law school facilities?
faceman9000 wrote:
cindytran872 wrote:Does anyone know how much off-campus apartment housing is going to cost per month? Somewhere that is less than 2 blocks away...

Seems like on-campus housing is not an option for me since you have to cross the bridge and it's on the other side of campus...
You are not going to find many places that are less than two blocks away...there are really two apt. complexes within 1 block--the Grand Marc, and another one (the name escapes me right now).

The Grand Marc apartments look pretty nice, though I've never been inside. Google it?

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:31 am

The Grand Marc apts are definitely the closest possible living quarters to the law school. They are DIRECTLY across the street, so it would be extremely convenient for you to live there.

I believe the other complex I was thinking of is called Seven Corners apts. These are also across the street and very convenient. However, I have looked into them in the past and there was a 2-year waiting list for 1BR units. Nevertheless, they are worth checking out if you're looking for a larger unit.

BTW, anything technically considered "campus apartments" that you may have searched are quite likely on the east bank of campus, or in Dinkytown. The law school, however, is on the west bank. If you look into housing near Seven Corners, or even downtown off of Washington, you are going to be closer to the law school than you would be in campus apts.

Jenno

New

Post by Jenno » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:53 pm

Thank you so much :D

New

Post by 58103 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:02 pm

Are the Grand Marc apartments for students only? Are they all furnished? Their web page made it seem like student housing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”