University of Minnesota 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
faceman9000

New

Re: University of Minnesota 2013

Post by faceman9000 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:34 pm

Just registered for the March ASW...We even get a TORT performance.

KristenMarie

New

Post by KristenMarie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 pm

Hey everybody! I am going to UMN and feeling excited about it! If you’ll be joining me and are interested in getting acquainted please message me.

Jenno

New

Post by Jenno » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:37 am

Has anyone been able to pay the deposit fee online through the university's website? I checked a few days ago and it said 'coming soon'. Dont know when 'soon' will be....

Does anyone know what banks are near the law school area? I'm thinking of setting up an account to make daily living easier.

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:32 am

Jenno wrote:Has anyone been able to pay the deposit fee online through the university's website? I checked a few days ago and it said 'coming soon'. Dont know when 'soon' will be....

Does anyone know what banks are near the law school area? I'm thinking of setting up an account to make daily living easier.
Not sure about the seat deposit but ask Cassie or Rachel in the facebook group...I snail mailed mine.

The most convenient bank is TCF because it is affiliated with the University and actually has branches on campus. There is one very near the law school building (you don't even have to go outside to get there--which is good). I bank with them.

That said, TCF is a slightly larger bank, and if you prefer a more personal experience, look into Postal Credit Union. They have a great reputation. The only reason I bank at TCF rather than PCU is the convenience of location factor.

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am

KristenMarie wrote:Hey everybody! I am going to UMN and feeling excited about it! If you’ll be joining me and are interested in getting acquainted please message me.
Congrats...are you in-state or out? Attending the March ASW?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flowylime

New

Post by flowylime » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:41 pm

I'm about to be a bit picky here, faceman. Forgive me!

Technically, TCF Bank is not affiliated with the University of Minnesota, as much as it would like to be. It does donate a lot of money to the school and pay a lot of money to have its ATMs on campus, but at the end of the day it's just a regional bank based in Minnesota with pretty sub-par customer service (in my opinion).

There are plenty of US Banks and Bank of Americas near campus, if you don't mind huge corporate banks. If you want to be really picky, the only banks on University-owned property are the US Bank in the student union and the TCF Bank in the west bank skyway. In fact, the University of Minnesota uses US Bank for its own private funds. But there aren't really advantages to using any bank over the other. If you have TCF Bank, you can use your University ID card as a debit card, but I don't think this is a huge advantage.

Okay, end of nitpicking. I worked at the U for a few years, so I'm intimate with some of these questions. Carry on!

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:37 pm

...and there you have it.

NJB09

New

Post by NJB09 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:30 pm

I just registered for the 5th of March as well. I'm looking forward to meeting a few of you :D

Jenno

New

Post by Jenno » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:29 pm

Thank you both! I was expecting banks such as Citi or BOA to be near. I guess not! I will look into TCF.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

New

Post by 58103 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:26 am

Out of curiosity, what has everyone received so far from the school? The only thing I got was the acceptence letter w/ financial aid info in it. I saw some people talking about ASW info, and I was wondering if/when they sent that through regular mail? I also heard that some of their stuff was getting lost in the mail, or maybe they just don't love me :(.

uofmsbiggestfan

New

Post by uofmsbiggestfan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:19 am

58103 wrote:Out of curiosity, what has everyone received so far from the school? The only thing I got was the acceptence letter w/ financial aid info in it. I saw some people talking about ASW info, and I was wondering if/when they sent that through regular mail? I also heard that some of their stuff was getting lost in the mail, or maybe they just don't love me :(.
I got an acceptance letter, financial aid info, a double sided sheet of paper talking about ASW, a a seat deposit form, and a sticker for my car.

Jenno

New

Post by Jenno » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:33 am

Is anyone thinking of taking any pre-law courses before the summer? I have a friend who is a 3L in another school who recommended it for law students that have been out of school for a few years. From what i hear, it is about 2 weeks of intensive 'get ready for law school' prep. Dont know what to feel about this. Any thoughts?

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:25 am

I am seriously considering a preview class. First year grades are so important that any boost seems worth it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:07 pm

There is an endless debate over whether it is better to prepare your ass off for 1L or to party your ass off before 1L...

Both sides have legitimate contentions. I notice that, if you search threads around here, the law students generally advise against preparation, and the 0Ls freak out about it.

I am going to consult an advisor about it at the U before summer kicks off to come up with some kind of "in between" plan that allows me to prepare a little without giving up my last bit of freedom before the law school juggernaut.

There are some books that are supposedly ideal for 1L prepping. They are listed, discussed, and debated here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=98835

edited for typos
Last edited by faceman9000 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SemperLaeta13

New

Re: Parking Insight

Post by SemperLaeta13 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:57 pm

Just got my acceptance phone call yesterday! =)

And as a current UMN student who works for parking and transit for the U, I can offer a little insight on the parking situation, which I noticed came up earlier in the feed....

The University has a ton of ramps and open lots across campus; the closest ones to the law school are hourly rates: $3 for your first hour, after 60 minutes it jumps to $6 and it's an additional dollar for every following hour. The daily max is $12 (for a 24-hour period), which is actually pretty low compared to downtown parking (about $20/day or more). The U does have daily rated lots-- $3:75-- but they fill up quickly in the morning and are only on east bank and in St. Paul, so not exactly convenient. You can get a parking contract for a monthly rate through the U, but it can be pricey and you don't always get to choose what ramp the contract is for.

I know a lot of students who park on the streets near campus and then bus back. Aside from the city buses (you can purchase semester passes through the school for $92), the school has the "Campus Connector," which as you might expect from the name, runs through the three campuses (West bank/east bank/St. Paul) and is free. The connector isn't 24 hours (I think it stops at midnight) and can get bogged down between undergrad classes, but otherwise it's pretty useful.

NJB09

New

Post by NJB09 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:56 pm

Faceman: I'm going to do the same thing. I've poked around on the internet and found some recommended reading lists. I've just been covering the basics so I at least have a foundation to build upon, but I will definitely be asking someone about it when I get down there.

jc631

New

Post by jc631 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:08 am

On WashU's admitted students site they have a (long) list of suggested reading that I would be happy to PM to anyone interested! Also, I'll be there in March too! I'm excited to meet everyone!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

uofmsbiggestfan

New

Post by uofmsbiggestfan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:21 pm

Does anyone know of any cheap options around the law school? I looked at Grandmarc and Seven Corners and they are way too expensive! I want to be able to walk to class if possible. If thats not feasible, then any specific suggestions around uptown? I want to do some research before heading up to Minneapolis in March. Thanks!

Neil

Bronze

Post by Neil » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:03 pm

I'll leave the housing question to somebody living in the area. I'm excited to see the quality of apartments I'll find if I'm willing to pay close to what I'm paying right now in Brooklyn. :P

Of course, it may not be a great idea to pay that much, since I will no longer be employed...

In other news-- just signed up for the March ASW. Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you!

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:41 am

Do they provide any airport pickup or transport help for the weekend? I just RSVPed for March. Where is a good, cheap place to stay near campus?

Thanks.

Jenno

New

Post by Jenno » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:04 pm

Neil wrote:I'll leave the housing question to somebody living in the area. I'm excited to see the quality of apartments I'll find if I'm willing to pay close to what I'm paying right now in Brooklyn. :P

Of course, it may not be a great idea to pay that much, since I will no longer be employed...

In other news-- just signed up for the March ASW. Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you!
You're from Brooklyn New York? I'm from Manhattan! Good to see someone from New York :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jenno

New

Post by Jenno » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:14 pm

jc631 wrote:On WashU's admitted students site they have a (long) list of suggested reading that I would be happy to PM to anyone interested! Also, I'll be there in March too! I'm excited to meet everyone!
Could you send me the link of where you found the suggested reading list? I checked the U of Washington's thread but couldnt find it.
Thanks!

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:18 pm

Jenno wrote:
jc631 wrote:On WashU's admitted students site they have a (long) list of suggested reading that I would be happy to PM to anyone interested! Also, I'll be there in March too! I'm excited to meet everyone!
Could you send me the link of where you found the suggested reading list? I checked the U of Washington's thread but couldnt find it.
Thanks!
Check out the thread link I posted half way up the page...

EDIT: Here it is again...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=98835

Jenno

New

Post by Jenno » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:48 pm

Thank you!

Neil

Bronze

Post by Neil » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:16 am

Jenno wrote:
Neil wrote:I'll leave the housing question to somebody living in the area. I'm excited to see the quality of apartments I'll find if I'm willing to pay close to what I'm paying right now in Brooklyn. :P

You're from Brooklyn New York? I'm from Manhattan! Good to see someone from New York :)
I currently live in Brooklyn, NY, but I grew up in Minnesota. If you pay your own rent in Manhattan you are in for a pleasant surprise when you see what similar rent can get you in Minneapolis. :P

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”